Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
With today forecast to be even better than yesterday, it would have been rude to waste the riding time.

Not out quite as early today and with stuff to do later I'd only have a couple of hours, maximum, but time enough for a few miles.
Binned the knee warmers from yesterdays ensemble too - apologies for the glare from my white legs. :laugh:

Started off up Coal Road (again) and then Red Hall Lane, the A58 and Whin Moor Lane into Shadwell, but today I turned right down the hill for the twisty descent through the village, before the sharp climb back up to and across the A58 onto Carr Lane for more undulating twistiness towards Thorner.
Left in the village past the church and onto Milner Lane for the climb onto the ridge and the ride up to Thorner Lane, getting passed by a proper racing snake - I wasn't hanging about but I couldn't keep up with him!
Through the dip :hyper:and up the other side, joining Thorner Road for the gently downhill run to the A1(M) bridge at the top of the village, turning right down the hill and up the other side and on to Paradise Way.
I went onto the shared path here, part of NCR 66, as Paradise Way is seldom fun to ride on - a 60mph single carriageway with far too many behatted Nissan drivers, especially on a Sunday. Part way along there is an info board about the Battle of Bramham Moor in 1408, so I stopped there for a drink and a stretch:
IMG_20170409_095117037 (2).jpg
IMG_20170409_095143831.jpg

I was starting to notice a bit of a headwind now - not much, but enough that I knw it was there. So on to Bramham crossroads and around the roundabout, busy with lots of metal boxes heading for York or the coast and then down Main Street towards Aberford.
Into the village and then the right onto Cattle Lane for the ups and down (but mainly ups) to Barwick and on towards Scholes, before the descent to the Coronation Tree and down Leeds Road. No need for extra miles today, so after being passed by a dozen Harley Davidsons heading out into the countryside, it was onto local roads and up to home.

20.0 miles (32.18km) in 1h 25m at an average of 14.1mph, with 1,095ft climbed and an average temperature (according to Garmin) of 13.5°C, although once again it felt a lot warmer than that. Loads of cyclists out today and quite a few family groups which is always good to see.

As always, the map:
09042017.JPG

After all that it was out with the bike stand and both road bikes were given a well deserved clean and lube.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I was washing the car out the front earlier today and I heard the bell of the ice cream van somewhere in village. I knew it wouldn't come up my road so I grabbed a lady Godiver and jumped on the Kingpin to track it down, I found it at the other end of the village, purchased two Bunnies Ears ( one for the Fragrant MrsP) and wobbled home in first gear one handed. I managed to get both ice creams home without the strawberry syrup dribbling on my hand.

A very satisfactory 3/4 mile.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
IMG_0848.JPG
IMG_0853.JPG
A beautiful hot day in North Yorkshire. 53 miles done from home to Cawood, through Wistow Lordship to Selby and onto Riccall where I joined the Sustrans cycleway to Naburn just outside of York. Then headed to Acaster Malbis and to Tadcaster, up the hill and through the grounds of Grimston Park. Back to Cawood stopping off at the holiday park to buy water as I'd run out! Headed out of Cawood to Church Fenton, Ulleskelf and back home.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
View attachment 346522 View attachment 346523 A beautiful hot day in North Yorkshire. 53 miles done from home to Cawood, through Wistow Lordship to Selby and onto Riccall where I joined the Sustrans cycleway to Naburn just outside of York. Then headed to Acaster Malbis and to Tadcaster, up the hill and through the grounds of Grimston Park. Back to Cawood stopping off at the holiday park to buy water as I'd run out! Headed out of Cawood to Church Fenton, Ulleskelf and back home.
Can you please not lean your bike on my gate it makes the drive look untidy thank you :okay:

Mrs M

Guru

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A nice little ride out to The March Hare cafe this morning, three of us set of from Enfield the same time as the club left East Finchley, Had a nice ride out to Hare street, Had scrambled eggs on toast washed down with a nice cup of tea out of a china teapot, (proper) Then i led the club home with a new route, it kept us of the main roads and we did not have to go through Ware.Ended at our local for a few beers then home for a shower, another lovely day in the sun.
https://www.strava.com/activities/934978141#kudos

TigerT

Veteran
I fancied doing something different today so rather than riding round local lakes, I decided to get up early and get a train to Schaffhausen (A beautiful town on the German / Swiss border) with the intention to check out Cycle Route 86 to Pfaffikon, which I've only ever ridden small parts of, and secondary goal of seeing how close to home I could get before something started to hurt. After finding I had been given my own private coach on the train, I disembarked at Schaffhausen and took a short walk around to find the start of the route then headed off along the banks of the Rhine to the Rhinefalls (Big Waterfall) I didn't stop for photos as I've been loads of time before and they've started charging now. So onwards through some of the small villages with there red and white timbered houses that are everywhere in this part of Switzerland. I could have stopped every 2 minutes for photos, they were beautiful. The last of the villages was Andefingen. I stopped there for rest and water and checked the map.... It was then the up hill bits started. I try to avoid hillls as much as I can, I have bad knees and a weak tendon, so I'm never going to be a climber! From there it was just nice country side to Winterthur.,, via a number of unsigned diversions to get around roadworks, got a bit lost. I certainly wasn't the only cyclist out today, Winterthur was full of them, struggled to find a free bike rack. Stopped here for lunch, before the difficult bit. Got lost again on the way out. Cycle routes in Switzerland are very well signposted, except in Winterthur it seems. The next 4kms, were not very nice, just a long slightly up hill main road, there must be a better route, but eventually got back into the countryside and along the Töss valley for a bit. This was the bit of Route 86 I wanted to try out, as I'd seen it signposted before, but never taken it. I won't take it again. It's just one very long climb, followed by a short drop that wasn't worth the climbing. Finally ended up in Pfaffikon and stopped for Ice Cream. That was Stage 1 of Route 86 completed. So it was tie to decide whether to get the train home of carry on. I decided to carry on, and in retrospect, that was a mistake. After about 5kms my knee started to ache and I don't want to damage it this year, so Game Over for the day. Diverted to the nearest railway station (Uster) and got on the train.

Happy with the ride, the first half was beautiful scenery, but for me, a little too much up hill with little reward. (on Veloland, the Swiss cycling website, this was classed as easy! I can see why, mountain passes are a lot harder and out of my reach, but I wasn't the only person struggling today, which made me feel a bit better) 65kms added to the total and Garmin tells me that's the most up hill I've ever done.

Didn't do many photos, but here are a couple.

My private train
IMG_0023.JPG
Schaffhausen at the start of the ride
IMG_0025.JPG
Cycling along the Rhine
IMG_0028.JPG
Andelfingen. The photo really doesn't do the village justice.
fullsizeoutput_1b4a.jpeg
And the map
fullsizeoutput_1b49.jpeg

Today's club run with the H& DW was one of the longer and hillier ones to Milford

@cosmicbike decided to honour us with his company.
A long looping route through Ash Vale and Tongham, then through Godalming. Return took as up the Wanborough Hill over the Hog's Back
I managed to chop of the outward journey
I estimate about 62 miles with 2000 feet of climbing
You can see return leg here.
https://www.strava.com/activities/934719881
This being the return was slighlty less loopy
The returners rather split at Chobham repending on final destination. I followed a group heading to Chertsey as I prefer to return via Chertsey Bridge

Haading out soon with a few from Wakefield Triathlon Club
The question is;
Do I help out, with the beginners/improvers, & take it easy? (as I'm fat & unfit at the moment)
Or... head out with the experienced riders, & get 'battered'?
I've been out on a couple of their faster/hillier rides before, & held my own

Turned up at the meeting point a bit early. as it was a nice day the Gran Fondo came out:eek: (first time since, possibly, October), & I had shorts on (equally surprising)
Over the next 20 minutes, about 25 riders showed up, some rode there, some took bikes out of boots/off racks
The faster riders decided on a plan, I knew their route, but decided that I would have an easy day, particularly with not riding the GF for so long

Whilst it was a nice, steady ride, I felt I should have gone with the others, maybe next time

Birkin Café was packed, with various club riders; Drighlington BC, Ravensthorpe CC (DC Lanes mob), Wakefield CC, Elmsall Road Club,

Dave 123

Legendary Member
First thing this morning Jo and I went for a walk around Hayley Wood, this afternoon I took my mountain bike there.
The bridleway are nice and fast at the moment, but horribly rutted. I was rattling along, my bingo wings flapping in the sunshine when 2 horses and riders were ahead. I slowed down. Down to Caldecote, the wind was roaring.
I took the bridleway to the Red House, giving it some welly. Over the A1198 I went passing a fellow rider having a drink in the shade. I got to Hayley Wood, I'll show this mornings pictures
IMG_2445.JPG
IMG_2455.JPG
IMG_2457.JPG
IMG_2468.JPG

I then tried to find which way the bridleway comes out on the road. I failed.
In failing I flushed a Roe deer stag who went charging across the fields. Along a hedgerow and I was flushing out loads of yellowhammer, greenfinch and other stuff I couldn't quite see in the sun. Along a stubble field, then I saw my bird of the day... a wheatear! I eventually got to the road, then I saw my 2nd UK swallow of 2017, having seen the first this morning.

Back through Bourn, along the byway I had to slow up for 2 teenagers who were attaching their pony to a trap.

A great ride!

https://www.strava.com/activities/934999002

cubey

Über Member
Sun out shorts on and off towards Holmfirth, got there and thought lets tackle Holme moss, Doh. Luckily i caught my lungs as they fell out towards the floor. ^_^ Would you belief it when I got to the top and recovered, after a bar of chocky, went and tackled Snake Pass. Luckily the GF met me at Derwent reservoir and carried my broken knees and me home in the car.:okay:

Holme-Moss.jpg

Snake-Pass.jpg

Top Bottom