Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Another gorgeous day today, so i decided to brave all the cars towing caravans, and motorbikes all in convoy, and day trippers. So i put my big girl pants on and off i went. 12 miles done albeit very slowly. Beautiful warm day. I passed some walkers, and 2 female MTB. Great day to be out amd as per the other thread about stopping long enough to take photos, here are some i took today.
20170408_131237.jpg
20170408_131242.jpg
20170408_130447.jpg
20170408_134930.jpg
20170408_124712.jpg

13 rider

Guru
What a lovely day for a ride :sun:. Did my favorite 50km ride up to Mount St Bernards Abbey and back down the Beacon to Quorn and home on my commuting route . A route with everything climbs ,fasts descents ,flats ,scenic roads lovely . In all 32.4 miles at 17.1 mph I swear I'm quicker in shorts . Loads of riders out enjoying the :sun:. Had a bit of silly racing on the single track road to Shepshed I caught a youth and I presume his girlfriend on MTBs just on the start of a climb as I past the youth I saw him get out the saddle and accelerate .As I created the hill at 18 mph I looked back and said youth was struggling and the girl catching him as she spun up . Decided to stop at the end of the road have a drink and let them pass then pasted them again on the steep bit into Shepshed no response this time :laugh:. The last strava segment before home was blasted as A fellow cc had done it this morning and I just had to beat their time ,21 seconds faster :becool:

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Best weather of the year so far, so it seemed only appropriate to get out there and get some miles in.
I'd been thinking about riding a metric half, but once I was out in the sunshine I though an imperial half might be on the cards. And, in honour of the Lighthouse / Windmill thread, this ride became an homage to the windmill - but more of that later ;)

Out early-ish and it was still a bit chilly, but there was already a hint of the warmth to come from the sun, even if the car roofs were frozen. Bib shorts making their first appearance of the year, although with knee-warmers, and the whitest legs in town.

Past the first Windmill within minutes, as I passed the Windmill Hotel (the hotel built around a disused windmill, really), before heading up Coal Road, Red Hall Lane and onto the A58 for a high speed wiggle down to Whin Moor Lane and the twisty stuff into Shadwell. Left at the end and up the hill, then down the other side and the climb up to Slaid Hill lights, where it was right and onto Wike Ridge Lane for the enjoyable swooping ups and downs, before turning right onto Coal Road and through the dip where the dappled sunlight through the trees made it difficult to tell if the road was wet or frozen, so steady away (it was just wet) and the climb up to Tarn lane and the twisty descent down Syke Lane through Scarcroft and back to the A58. I don't know about windmills - I'd already passed 3 golf courses in the last few miles! What a ridiculous way golf is to spend your free time, spending a small fortune on expensive kit and stupid looking often garish clothes :whistle:
Anyway, across the A58 and the gentle descent before the climb up across the former railway line and up to Five Lane Ends at the top of Thorner and onto the ridge along Milner Lane, making my way eventually to East Rigton and onto Bramham Lane, which is still as muddy as ever, but at least all the mud is dry now.
Across Jewitt Lane and up onto Thorner Lane for the quickish run down to Bramham, just over the A1(M).
Up the hill to the start of Paradise Way, where I stopped for a stretch and a photos:
IMG_20170408_085158592.jpg

Back on the bike and looped back round onto Aberford Lane, spotting a club run slogging up the hill, then onto Toulston Lane, with the second windmill of the day off in the fields to my left.
Along here, through the dip and powered up the other side, with the club run catching me as the road levelled out. A couple of quick hellos from the riders at the f and as we approached Garnett Lane (where I was turning) the shout went out "right turn" to which someone replied "no straight on", and in the chaos half the group turned and half didn't, so there were bikes everywhere and much muttering about which way to go :laugh:
I picked my way through the melee and headed down Garnett Lane, across the A659 and then the bridge over the A64, full of traffic heading for the coast and with windmill number three visible off to the left.
Down the hill and then right for the the childish but amusing diversion to ride Fanny Lane through the village.
Over Cock Beck and along the single track road, tickled by how some wag had amended the 'Passing Place' signs to read something else - honestly this entire village is like a Carry On film.
Arrived at the A162 just as the same club run from earlier passed, so followed them up the hill and along to Raw Lane. They also turned there, but were clearly missing one or two of their number as they ground to a halt just round the corner, so once again I made my way through the throng, and carried on to Ulleskelf, looping through the village before pausing for a drink, a stretch and some more photos:
IMG_20170408_093717736_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170408_093904120_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170408_093935585_HDR.jpg

Just as I was about to set off again, the very same club run appeared majestically on the road to Church Fenton - and as they reached the junction a cry of 'hang on, right turn' went up with half the group already past the junction. More cries of 'sorry', 'watch out' and 'I say old chap, that call was rather late' went up as some bikes made the turn but most ground to a halt past the junction and had to turn around :laugh: - I'm guessing from the shouts going out that this wasn't the "chilled" ride ;)
Anyway, time for a loop of the former airfield beckoned, so it was on to Church Fenton on Busk Lane, past windmill number 4, then the end of the runway just as a plane was taking off, before turning right at the start of the village onto Brackenhall Lane through the fields and onto Moor Lane and over the railway line for the run into Ryther, where I turned left through Ozendyke to return to Ulleskelf and then back to Church Fenton (passing windmill number 4 again)
Through the village and the long straight down to Barkston Ash was next, before a short stretch of the A162 and left again towards Saxton, taking Cold Hill Lane back out into the countryside before stopping for the last photo of the ride:

IMG_20170408_103456038.jpg

From there it's a steady climb and then a short plunge down onto Copley Lane for the run up to Lotherton Gates, then down to the A1(M), passing Hook Moor Wind Farm (I'm not counting the wind turbines), with windmill number 5 just visible in Aberford as I carried on down to cross the M1 and drop down into Garforth.
Garforth was busy and not much fun to ride through to be honest, so I took a right and headed up Barwick Road and then Long Lane to re-cross the M1 and climb the hill up to Barwick-in-Elmet past yet another golf course. If I'd gone straight on through Garforth I could have passed windmill number 6 at Colton, but I'd forgotten about it - one for another ride I think.
Anyway, left in Barwick for the steady climb and then descent into Scholes, with a left at the Coronation Tree down Leeds Road.
With still a few miles needed for an imperial half, I looped round the Manstons, then headed out into the countryside on Manston Lane until the tarmac ended, where I turned round and retraced my route, before adding another loop around Pendas Fields, before heading for home and a final loop round the block to push the mileage through the barrier.

50.25 miles (80.87km) in a decent 3h 27m at a speedy average of 14.5mph, with 2,129ft climbed and an average temperature of just 7.7°C according to Mr Garmin, although it felt a lot warmer. Great to get an imperial half century in alongside the 5 windmills too.

Loads of cyclists out (in addition to that club run) and just a lovely day to be out there. Even the high pollen levels couldn't take the shine off today.
Now it's barbecue time - after the bike, it's beer and burgers ^_^

And finally - a map
08042017.JPG

Last edited:
https://www.strava.com/activities/933179298/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1491663504

I was out in the forest today:eek:. I mean really:eek::eek::eek:. A nice ride, once I got past the forest sections.

IMG_4088.JPG

A rare bit of chopper less forest.

IMG_4095.JPG

The gardens in Bournemouth.

IMG_4099.JPG

Bournemouth beach.

IMG_4100.JPG

The viewing wheel at Bournemouth beach, which replaces the balloon.

IMG_4104.JPG

A lovely old Citroen, the owners were having a picnic.

IMG_4107.JPG

A horse.

IMG_4108.PNG

A cockwomble, there were hundreds of these wobbling around today:gun:.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I apologise in advance to the people of Gloucestershire and Herefordshire for the racket I'll be making tomorrow. My front brake had developed a squeal, so off came the wheel today for a damn good cleaning. Rubbed the wheel rims down thoroughly with meths, and cleaned the brake blocks and inspected them for wear (none whatsoever) while the wheel was off. Put it back on, and checked that the brake blocks are perfectly aligned with the rims. Still squealing like a banshee. I mean seriously loud.

I'm going to make a great impression on my first ride with Eastgate Cycles since officially joining the club. It's their "Paris Roubaix" 100km ride over to Ledbury and back tomorrow, taking in patches of rough tracks along the way for authenticity. I've been along as a guest for the last two years, and it is always a great ride. I will be a marked man this time though, if my brakes don't start behaving themselves soon. Way to make a good impression.

postman

Legendary Member
Postman set off at 08-22.Destination Embsay Steam Railway via Bolton Abbey.I was not going to try and break any records and it was a good job too.At 10-30 i had to disrobe and went down to shorts and jesey,it was that warm.Superb.i was passed by loads of cyclists,groups,single couples.But i did not care,getting there was the aim.
Well due to this being only my second run,i took advantage of the great weather and scenery to take some photos.
I also stopped off at Bolton Abbey Post Office to buy a postcard and a stamp to send to my mother in law,she cannot get out as much now,and i want her to know i think of her.
So buy a card and ask for a stamp,out comes the postmaster/clerk,who says i hope you don't mind me asking but what is your name.31 years ago i worked with a chap who looked like you.Bob and before i could say he said, Mee.W e spent the next 10-15 mins talking about the past.His assistant thought it was great.So i continued i have to say i got off just before the gate and walked about 100 yards i could not face it.Well i had 45 mins on the station for my food stop.Then i set off back.I had decided to do the lumpy route out,as i don't normally do lumps due to my mate who cannot cope with them.I came back on a flatter route cos i was cream crackered.Cramp set in it was horrible,but i did 55 miles in wonderful sunshine and glorious scenery.Score 7/10 because when it was ugly and i mean me,it was ugly.A great day.
But once again despite reading up on CYCLERS i pressed another wrong icon and lost my data.Giving up,it's not meant to be,i am just a numpty.

Mike_P

Guru
Seem have got stuck to c.24 miles and todays ride was bang on 24 according to both the Garmin and Strava off the phone.
08-04 route.jpg

I crossed the Nidd on the Toll Bridge finding a stack of daffodils alongside the lane
dafftollrd.jpg

Then it was almost constant uphill to Brimham Rocks where some lesser Rocks are visible from the road - this is NCN688 eastbound, although is actually the curved arc at the north west corner of the route
Brimham r.jpg

Then a largely downhill run which quickly led me to conclude the front brakes needed a bit of tweaking, and more daffodils - this time in Ripley
daffrip1.jpg

For a sunny weekend afternoon the Nidderdale Greenway was quite, with no emergency stops needed to due roaming dogs or toddlers; so much so that the viaduct of void of the usual collection of people gazing over the east side (the west side has a view of a sewerage works)
nidd viaduct.jpg

and no one was blocking the view of the artworks
ngreencyc.jpg

1618ft feet climbed according to Strava, 1873ft according to Garmin - as they agree on the distance maybe I will take the average!
08-04 elvation.jpg

Greetings one and all. Not posted in this section of CC since January as although i hit the ground in the milder weather we enjoyed back then that old sceptre of overtime came into place. Crazy hours have been worked since then , however this week i nipped out on Monday and had a wee pootle around to make sure everything in working order. Thats me not the bike. Today ( Sat ) i got a cheeky 5 miler out as i'm starting from scratch AGAIN . Great weather for it and as i type this i'm planning tomorrows ride out where i'm going to up the miles a bit more. It sure feels good to be back in the saddle. Ride safe boys and girls......

Gareth C

Veteran
A trip up the High Street

A perfect weather forecast, some Jumbo Jims on the fat bike, and a pass out for a days biking! Does it get any better than this?

I parked up by Brothers Water, and started the long push up to Hartsop Reservoir, quickly losing the puffer jacket and getting hot and sweaty.

img_1145.jpg
img_1149.jpg
img_1152.jpg

Once up onto the tops, the view was amazing. A long northward pootle over mixed terrain, sometimes rocky, sometimes boggy, sometimes downhill, sometimes uphill: but all good. The 4.8″ front tyre rolled well over pretty much everything; floating over bogs, socking up rocks, and being great off-piste when I mistakenly went up to the summit of Kidsty Pike and was heading for the easterly descent – quick about turn in order!

img_1153.jpg
img_1154.jpg
img_1159.jpg
img_1160.jpg
img_1164.jpg

Eventually Ullswater comes into view, and I double back West to descend to the lakeside. Rather than the path around Ullswater shore, I decided on the trip down Boredale, with a strenuous final few hundred meters, tough enough alone, a proper work-out when hauling fatty!

img_1169.jpg
img_1170.jpg
fullsizerender-1.jpg
fullsizerender.jpg

From Boredale Hause the first part of the descent was too steep and gravely for safety, but quickly shallows out and allowed a rapid descent to Patterdale, and back to the car via a nice tiny lane.

screen-shot-2017-04-08-at-18-41-37.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/933353286/

https://www.relive.cc/view/933353286

Top Bottom