Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
20170408_102606.jpg
Finally got out to Gwydir Forest (Marin Trail) with my son.

We stuck with the short circuit that includes the new descent. Lots of climbing and the Forrest road is tough ( especially when your fitness is hammered). We stopped a few times to check my sons blood sugars and they remained good with a diluted fresh orange drink and malt loaf.

The original descents are pretty rocky and rooty and it pushed the limits of my 25 year old Diamond Back with no suspension. I had to walk one small section as my Cantilever brakes couldn't keep the speed under control.

Great hour our so. Only 5 miles but tough. The new descent is more akin to a trail centre, pretty smooth, quick and with a few drop offs and a bit of air.

A few lads were a bit surprised I was doing the trail on a retro MTB especially when I said I'd broken my spine over a year ago. The Boardman Pro FS would have sailed over the rocks and roots.

Pleased how the old machine held up. I'd replaced the brake cables and used a different straddle wire than the one supplied with the XT brakes as I couldn't get the cable near to the tyre. The lower the more power. It was still out gunned by my sons Carrera Vengeance.

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
When planning yesterday's ride on RWGPS I began to notice a likeness in the outline to an animal, so I decided to go with it. Here's what I ended up with, 112 easy-going miles:

Apr8.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/933379211

At last I managed to put in the full climb of the Malverns. To judge from the number of people who've ridden the Strava segments, comparatively few people climb from the western side, and from what I saw on the road, a lot climb from the Upton upon Severn side. The ride up from Colwall to Upper Wyche is really great, with a couple of authentic switchbacks, and I will definitely return.

It was a day of unbroken sunshine and blinding light, but with the distant views heavily obscured by haze. Not a day for casual photography - clear air and cloudscapes always work much better.

I was keen to test my Garmin 520 with an in-flight recharge from an external power source. After a ride such as yesterday's I would normally expect the battery to finish about 50-60% charged. I plugged in my external battery after about 50 miles, and at the end of the ride the unit was fully charged. So provided one is organised, the lifetime is to all intents and purposes limitless. I'm not sure how advisable it is to recharge in heavy rain though.

gaz71

Über Member
I did a nice 16 mile ride this morning.Went through Bushy Park,Hampton,Lower Sunbry,over Walton Bridge through to Hampton Court,on to Kingston,back into Bushy Park then home.Id had a few days off the bike as it was my birthday on Thursday and me and Mrs Gaz went to the coast for a few days so ive been living of fish n chips and booze during that time so i had a few cals to burn off.Managed to walk to Beachy Head though so it wasnt all bad.It was great being back on the bike though,especially in this weather.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Not today but I couldn't find this thread for some reason yesterday.

Since not commuting with the bike any more, I've been getting back into leisure riding- and it feels good. I went up Cragg Vale in the lovely sunshine, then down into Littleborough and along the valley back to Hebden, at an okay clip, with a couple of detours for hills. I feel like I'm getting the mojo back a bit, after quite a while of not doing any weekend riding.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
31 miles this morning in lovely sun albeit with a stiff breeze at times. Pboro out to Elton, Wansford, Kings Cliffe, a little beyond, turn round and back.
2 shimmys downhill :angry: but anticipating them now so brake and shed speed then accelerate back through. it's annoying but maybe getting topside of the problem.
One roadkill adder.
20170409_110654.jpg

several red kite, one large buzzard etc etc, birdlife is stirring itself for the summer.
Pushed on a bit without going mad, managed over 15 average and for me that's not bad nowadays.
Excellent morning :okay:

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Another lovely day forecast had a commitment after dinner so out the door at 0845 to try and get 50 miles in before 12.00 . Another favorite loop today retracing my first forum ride . Anstey ,Cropston ,Cossington up humble lane and up the Wreake valley . Ratcliffe on the Wreake ,Thrussington ,Hoby Frisby on the Wreake and up and over the A607 on to the rolling terrain around Gaddesby and back over the A607 to Asfordby and up Saxileby hill which I managed to pr on strava up onto the ridge and headdown and pedal straight past nice pies cafe no time to stop today :sad: At this point I checked the bike computer and I done 50km at 18.1 mph my fastest ever despite quite at bit of climbing . Seagrave ,Sileby ,Mountsorrel ,Quorn ,Woodhouse ,Swithland ,Cropston at which point I passed 50 miles at 17.9 mph my quickest 50 miles ever I think the winter milage is paying me back now :rolleyes: .Home with 54 miles in the bag at an average of 17.5 in absolutely glorious conditions :sun:. Looks like the sun brings out the riders out loads out today

Last edited:

redvision95

Proffesional Biskit Eater Upper
Straightened the bent spoke by hand as best as I could.
Rode what google says was four miles into Darlaston, Though it felt like eight to me.
Picked up the trailer that I'd won on ebay last night, Forgot to bring a pump/puncture kit and both of its tyres were flat :blink: So being smart, Instead of going to the nearest petrol station to air up the tyres, I towed it home with flat tyres and decided to take the canal towpath :laugh: Big mistake, I forgot that those vicious swans and geese like to hang about right at the end of the canal in Walsall town center (I'm petrified of them :laugh: ) A total of 8.5 miles and I'm knackered :laugh:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Top Bottom