Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Working from home today, so managed to squeeze a swift seven miles in just under half an hour at lunchtime, 1 minute 20 seconds faster than last time I did this route at an average of 15mph, I am getting better at this!

Glorious sunshine along the lanes, though I seemed to be the only person out until I went past a couple of cyclists, not sure if they were cycling together, as there was a short gap between the two. My mileage in April is now 98miles, so will probably manage double my target of 50 miles per month this month:wahhey:. I am considering increasing my monthly target to 75 miles, will see how May goes.

Been doing too many sessions on the Wattbike Atom instead of road miles. Got out on the road to enjoy the weather. Over to Egham, up Prune Hill, down Egham Hill, up Tite Hill, down Priest Hill, and up Crimp Hill. Then down the switchback road along the west side , through Virginia Water, turning the to Longcross, zigzagging through to Addlestone and then back home.

32.23 miles @ 16.4 mph
1345 feet climbed.

Will be out on the club run on Sunday

I used the (titanium) Enigma today, great feeling.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1519933346

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As per yesterday's report, today was the last of my 3 days off work and I loaded the Voodoo into the car and drove up to Rutland Water for the day. Nothing special, just the usual 2 full laps - one clockwise and the other anti-clockwise for another 45 miles this week.

The highlight was on the southern side between Manton & Lyndon where, seeing a walker frantically reaching for his camera, I was just in time to see a large bird glide/fly across the field and road at low (treetop) height before coming to a rest in one of the trees further down the road - turns out it was one of the Ospreys!
https://www.strava.com/activities/1520620158
Friday.png
Back to work tomorrow for 7 straight days:sad:

Mr Celine

Discordian
For a bit of a change I decided to head south on a loop. This involves a long hill at the start of the ride, which I normally avoid because I tend to run out of steam about 10 miles later, which of course happened again today.
Anyway, I got to the top of Lindean hill in record (for me) time and stopped to take a photo with some snow in it. (The Cheviot in the distance).

IMG_20180420_162045[1].jpg

This was my first ride of 2018 in shorts. My milkbottle white thighs were clearly too much for the sun, who hid behind the clouds to shield himself from the 100% reflection, while it appeared to be sunny everywhere else, particularly looking back in the direction I'd come from.

IMG_20180420_164431[1].jpg

(Is there a 'your bike against an electric fence' thread anywhere?)

Eventually I made it out from under my own personal cloud, now hanging over the Waterloo monument at Penielheugh.

IMG_20180420_173100[1].jpg

This is one of my favourite cycling viewpoints. Looking north east towards Berwick I sometimes think I can see the sea on the distant horizon.

IMG_20180420_173117[1].jpg

Then home for a well earned beer. 35.5 miles at 14.5 mph. The map -

upload_2018-4-20_23-4-22.png

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Today was looking like the best day to take advantage of the current spell of fine weather, but I couldn't start until about half past 11. If I wanted to do 100+ miles that meant riding well into the evening, something I rarely do. Riding into darkness happens often enough in the colder months, but the prospect today, on a pleasantly warm afternoon with the promise of unbroken blue sky, was altogether more alluring.

As it happens, a heavy grey sky hung over Gloucester until late morning, and there was even a little light rain at one point. So when I set off the blue was only just appearing and it was still quite chilly, though warm enough for a short sleeved top and the arm warmers stayed at home for the first time this year. It was still very hazy and I began to wonder it there'd be any views to speak of. I needn't have worried.

My route (shown below, anticlockwise) was a variation of a theme I've visited many times before, but as always with a few new features:

Apr20mapx.JPG

Although there was plenty of up and down all afternoon, the highest point was below 300 feet. Not a bad formula on the first seriously warm ride of the year.

As always when heading towards Evesham, I avoided the horrible A46 by taking the dog-leg via Toddington on the B4077 and B4078. I had a lucky break with the traffic lights on the bridge at Bidford-on-Avon, after which I turned westwards for a pleasanty meander through the lanes before crossing the Severn south of Worcester. One of the new (to me) stretches took me through the splendidly named village of White Ladies Aston, soon after which, at one of the high points of the ride (it's all relative), I saw that the early mist had thoroughly lifted. This is looking towards Bredon Hill, with the Cotswolds just visible beyond:

Apr20a.JPG

Turning the other way, the Malverns, invisible earlier, had begun to dominate the scene as they often do:

Apr20b.JPG

I reached Worcester a little after 4, and suffice to say a bike was much the quickest way of getting through. For the first time this year I'd contrived a rewatering stop at my favourite roadside tap in Upton-upon-Severn, a thorough face wash being just as welcome as refilling bottles with cool water. As usual, I took far more water with me than I was going to need on the rest of the ride, but wasting it would seem completely wrong - it will be used in the kettle and the coffee maker.

It was now heading into evening and the light began to take on an ethereal quality, still with unbroken blue sky, and I'm not sure I can remember the landscape looking so vividly green. Whether by pictures do it justice is another matter. I took a sizeable diversion through the lanes around Castlemorton, stopping for a couple more pictures:

Apr20c.JPG

Apr20d.JPG

After the motte and bailey at Castlemorton, I passed the Farmers Arms at Birtsmorton. In the sweet still evening air nothing would have seemed more perfect that stopping for a meal surrounded by the hills and the peace. I carried on, not without regret. That's for another time.

Passing through Corse Lawn, another picture perfect setting, I exchanged waves with an old boy rolling the cricket pitch. Actually, he may have been about my age. Somehow when on the bike I'm inclined to picture myself younger. Then into the lanes again, avoiding the truly dreadful surface on the B4211 south of Corse Lawn, and as the evening advanced a final view of the Malverns:

Apr20e.JPG

The final phase through the villages of Taynton and Tibberton was familiar and uneventful. I'd promised to be home by 8:30 and I achieved it comfortably, the final mileage on what felt like quite an epic being 114.29 miles. Time for sleep.

C R

Guru
Nice one. Realised today that I have nearly done as many miles in April so far as I did in February and March combined. Tomorrow should take me beyond those two months. Although spookily January was as high as February and March combined as well.
My April total is more than February and March combined, January was significantly more than February or March, but still less than both combined. Weather and work travel all conspired against me in February and March.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Just a commute to w*rk yesterday.

26 miles there and back, sadly interrupted by 10 1/2 hours of the aforementioned w*rk half way round.

03D4E9E8-22E7-4471-8245-390EAA4C2996.jpeg

On the way home, at about 02:00

<yawn>

I’ll probably do the same again today.

10937FC8-D1BA-4357-9905-FBDDBB917B0A.jpeg

26 miles, half sunny, half dark.

:smile:

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride:
I've already done my challenge ride for the month but it wasn't the one I had really wanted to do for various reasons, so seeing a pretty much ideal forecast for Friday I planned to get out and make up for it. The Raleigh has had it's first big ride of the year and it was also the first outing in shorts and the CycleChat jersey

I was heading for Llyn Efyrnwy (Lake Vyrnwy) and started off at about 7am with the long version of my route to get a few extra miles in. The wind was light and it was a little on the cool side with a bank of fog visible over the Stretton area. Fortunately I didn't ride through any this time, though I'd planned ahead and brought lights after getting caught out last ride.

Condover, Exfords Green, Lea Cross and Stoney Stretton came and went. On the long straight to Westbury another rider caught me and rode alongside for a short chat. He was heading to work in Welshpool so had about 12 hilly miles ahead of him.

Progress was good through Melverley and Maesbrook to Llynclys (some courteous lorry drivers on the main road :okay:) where I paused for a quick food stop before heading up the Tanat Valley which looked wonderful in the sunshine.

With the light winds I carried on making good progress to Pen-Y-Bont Fawr where I branch off onto the road to Hirnant. This road has long been a bit on the rough side, but seems to have suffered really badly over the past winter and is verging on dangerous for cyclists now. Hopefully it's on a list for resurfacing soon as patches won't be sufficient.

I reached the lake and paused to take in the views while I had another bite to eat before heading round anti-clockwise. As I've mentioned previously, this has to be 11 miles of the flattest riding in Mid Wales. I started off at a comfortable cruise of 15/16 mph which improved to 17/18 mph when I'd got round the other side and had the slight breeze behind me.

After the first lap I dropped in to The Old Barn cafe for a hot chocolate. Seeing the jersey the lady serving asked whether CycleChat was a cyclists dating site.:giggle: I enjoyed my drink while taking in the view from the terrace then headed on again to do my clockwise lap of the lake, which again started off at a comfortable pace that got quicker on the way round.

I risked the road through Hirnant again but wasn't able to make good use of the flowing downhill bits due to the road surface which is worse on this side. Heavy on the brakes and weaving to find a line through the potholes was the order of the day.

Leaving Pen-Y-Bont Fawr I had one of two close passes on the way home. I wish people wouldn't try and squeeze past when there is oncoming traffic.:angry: The rest of the trip down the valley to Llynclys was okay but it was quite a bit busier than earlier on with people heading into Wales for the weekend.

I paused at Llynclys again for another bite of a sandwich then immediately afterwards had my second close pass when an overtaking white van swerved across in front of me as he passed. There was no need for it as it was clear the other way and I think it was deliberate. This made me decide to leave this main road at the first opportunity and take a lane I've only ridden once before, which turned out to be a pleasant route.

On the way into Llynclys I'd overtaken another rider who had then passed me again while I was eating. We then passed one another a third time near to Maesbrook as he came the other way.

I'd done over 90 miles by now and was finding the saddle rather uncomfortable with not having used this bike over the winter. I hope it'll improve again with use.:blink: This slowed things down a bit and I was also getting slower up the hills too as often happens towards the end of a long ride. The most direct route back was therefore the best option and I made my way to Pentre, Great Ness, Montford Bridge, round the edge of Shrewsbury and finally back to home. Despite flagging a bit I caught and passed a couple of riders on the way so I can't have been doing too badly.

Usually after a big ride like this I like to wash, eat and crash in a chair with a beer. This time though I got back to news that my Aunt had had her new shed delivered without prior warning and that I'd need to go and help shift it round to the back garden where it needed to be.:wacko: Hence not writing this up last night.:laugh:

110.7 miles for the day at 13.9 mph average and I did find one bit of fast downhill without potholes which gave a 33 mph top speed.^_^

DSC0006191.jpg

Near the start on a lovely morning with some patches of fog about as seen over towards Stretton.

DSC0006193.jpg
Starting up the Tanat Valley.

DSC0006194.jpg

Pen-Y-Bont Fawr. About to take the left turn just here and head for Hirnant.

DSC0006197.jpg

Quite wild looking scenery at the top of the climb.

DSC0006201.jpg

First look at the lake.

DSC0006204.jpg

Round at the head of the lake by the junction for the Hirnant Pass (there are two Hirnant valleys just to confuse everyone). One to ride again some time.

DSC0006205.jpg

Ideal weather for sitting out and enjoying the scenery.

DSC0006207.jpg

A view I've tried to get before but the light is tricky. Seems to have worked better this time.

DSC0006209.jpg

Most of the daffodils are starting to go over now but there is still a fabulous display by the war memorial at Llanwddyn.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A bit of discipline this morning.... if we start listening to Saturday Live on R4 then time seems to go by without us noticing, so today we were out at 9.

Down through Comberton and Harlton and up Chapel Hill from Haslingfield. Down the other side we hit 40mph. In Shepreth we turned right for Meldreth.
Once again this week we waited for a train, it was from London this time, I was right!
IMG_0899.JPG

In to Meldreth, Here's the church
IMG_0901.JPG

This is a nice spot to end up
IMG_0906.JPG

On and over the A1198 in Bassingbourn, I spotted a Red Kite on high
IMG_0903.JPG

Then some fetching white horses
IMG_0904.JPG

Through Bassingbourn and a stop at the air memorial
IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

A quick dart through Steeple Morden and in to Hertfordshire, Ashwell to be precise. We'd been aiming for here for 3 weekends.
We called in at Days bakery then went and ate our treat in the church yard
IMG_0913.JPG

We headed off through nice quiet countryside, entering Central Bedfordshire, another Red Kite seen.
At the top of a hill coming into Gamlingay we were passed by a bloke on a bike.... about 30 seconds later we screamed by at 40mph, its immature but I love it!
IMG_0917.JPG

Past Waresley GC, not stopping for once, but we did stop at The Chequers in Little Gransden, not stopped before. They brew on site , going by the name of 'son of Sid' I had a Golden Shower...... bloody lovely!

We'd set out to do 50 miles today, so we had to extend the ride. Unfortunately this is where we encountered knobhead of the day,. Approaching Madingley roundabout he went for a gap that wasn't there, he forced himself through. His lady hit him and gave him a bollock1ng. Good!

Home on just over 50 miles. A good ride, we'll forget about the pr1ck.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1522129442

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Set off with my stepson at 11.30 and rode to Aber Falls as he has never ridden there. We stopped for a coffee and cake there and were the only cyclists in the shop which is rather unusual as it is a well known coffee stop for cyclists. On the way back, we got separated as we went two different ways so carried on on my own and stopped on Conwy Quay which was full of people. The last 3 miles were hard as my legs felt like lead and I really struggled. When I got home, I was completely drained although I did drink plenty all along the way and also had two gels. I took me a while to recover . The ride was 30 miles and took 2h23 at 12.70 mph average speed.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I met Pete M and John G in Upton. Shorts and short sleeves today as we have a small amount of summer weather at the moment. Much chat later we rode past the queues at the roadworks on the other side of the bridge for Strensham and Defford. We seemed to be riding quite well which I suspect had something to do with the nice temperatures. The hedge rows and trees have produced some lovely fresh green as leaf buds have opened these last few days. We continued onward by the Combertons to cross the Avon over Jubilee Bridge for the cafe at Fladbury.

What a large number of topics we covered today. That should have solved all outstanding world problems. John shot off up the main road while Pete and I climbed Hill Furze and worked our way around and over the airfield. We paused on the bridge at Pinvin ford to watch the currents and eddies do their thing hoping to spot that grass snake again and maybe some fish. We were continually interrupted by other bike riders. Doesn't the good weather bring others out? Into the lanes for Wadborough Pete asked for the loop by Stonehall Common. But now some small amount of rain began. At the top of Kinnersley Bank I put my waterproof on but I was able to take it off again at Upton. It just remained for us to do the final few miles on the standard run back. It had been a very pleasant steady outing in good company and that rain didn't really make much difference at all. 55 smiles on this one.

Last edited:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Managed a nice 108Km ride yesterday ...shock horror in the sunshine!! Blaby - Countesthorpe - Ashby Magna - Leire - Frolesworth - Claybrooke Magna and Parva - Monks Kirby - Withybrooke - Shlton - Brinklow - up the fosse road and a few loops around Monks Kirby - Ashby Parva - Gilmorton - Walcote - Walton - Bruntingthorpe - Petling Magna - Countesthrpe. Unusually for me I didn't stop for very long at any point to have something to eat - felt rather tired afterwards but a nice ride nonetheless.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Out this morning into the sunshine - first outing of the year for the sunnies, the bib shorts, short sleeved top and the fingerless mitts.
It was still a bit chilly first thing though so I'd added knee and arm warmers too.

Just as well - I felt the cold for the first couple of miles, but as I pushed on the day warmed up and all was well.

The inevitability of Coal Road gave way to Red Hall Lane, the A58 and Whin Moor Lane into Shadwell then on to Slaid Hill lights. At this point I was 4 miles in and had seen about a dozen joggers and not a single other cyclist.
Onto Wigton Lane and the gentle up before the dip down through Alwoodley Gates and across the A61, hitting the lights on green for a change.
Alwoodley Lane from there is generally up and I was passed by a couple of riders before reaching King Lane for the drop down to Golden Acre Park and the climb up the side, before dropping down past the quarry onto Otley Road.
Unsurprisingly busy on here, but with roadworks by the shops I got a breather at the temporary lights, before continuing through the village and on to the Dyneley Arms.
From there it's downhill all the way to Otley, over 2 miles, so I took full advantage.
Otley's a busy little place and I was soon through there and across the river. I'd normally take a break at the park but decided to push straight on with the climb up Farnley Lane, which never gets any easier but you do eventually get to the top, where today I decided to have a breather and take a couple of pics:
IMG_20180421_091411253-EFFECTS.jpg
IMG_20180421_091419822_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180421_091522217_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
IMG_20180421_092223451_BURST000_COVER.jpg

It was so warm by this point that I took the arm warmers off.
I left the knee warmers on though - the world isn't quite ready for that degree of whiteness just yet...:laugh:
So, off down the hill, which is always good fun and I'd unintentionally got myself into a gap between any cars so I had the road to myself and managed to (just) top 40mph on the way. And the breeze was cool enough to have me thinking maybe I should have left the arm warmers on?
Over the bridge and along the valley bottom, in the sheltered sunshine and enjoying every minute.
At the end of the road I had two options - right and over the river for Pool-in-Wharfedale or straight on to Castley, like last week.
However Castley Lane had signs up warning of road works and loose chippings so that was the decision made, right it was!
Hopefully the chippings will be sorted for the TdY in a couple of weeks which will go along there...

Over the bridge and right again along the valley floor and back towards Otley, resisting the temptation to stop at the butty van despite the aroma of bacon wafting across the road.
A scoot through the back streets of Otley, past Chevin Cycles and onto Gay Lane, then the climbing started, up all the way back to the Dyneley Arms (almost).
Nowt for it but to spin the pedals, keep going and enjoy the view across the valley.
Eventually through the lights and it's a steady drop then all the way through Bramhope, feeling slightly smug filtering past all the cars queueing for the temporary lights. The climb up King Lane follows, then ups and downs (mainly ups) to Alwoodley Lane and a retracing of the outbound route to Wike Lane where I decided to add a little loop on as the weather was so nice. Through the dip and up onto Tarn Lane to the fringes of Scarcroft, then down the hill into Shadwell and the climb back up to the A58.
A scoot along there and up Coal Road, before hitting local roads down to home, with a final loop around the block to round the miles up.

35.1 miles (56.48 km) in 2h 28m at an average of 14.2mph with 1,843ft climbed and an average temperature of 11.7 C, although it felt a lot warmer in the sun.

Happy with that, it's another point in the half century challenge and it was great to get out not wrapped up in 15 layers trying to keep warm.
In fact the only downside was the re-emergence of the flies...I haven't missed them! xx(

Here's hoping the weather holds for tomorrow as I've got an imperial half planned. I had toyed with getting the best bike out for it, but given the forecast I'll stick with the Giant and it's mudguards.

And to end, the map:
21042018.JPG

Top Bottom