Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
A run to Screwfix to pick up a click and collect [two other cyclists in the queue of five] then a meander on unknown roads in Fawdon on the home leg.
15 miles in the sunshine [it's been overcast and humid for days up to now] - very quiet today

pjd57

Veteran

First ride into the countryside in a few months.
Mainly on NCN 7 , but the road section from Kilbarchan to Lochwinnoch was hilly but it's a great run down back to the cycle route at Castle Semple outdoor centre.

Passed these guys as well

JPBoothy

Veteran
Thunder in the air and fancied a change so went and got very muddy on the mountain bike, first time in yonks.

It's flat round these parts which isn't my scene really but had lots of fun and good to do something different.

Only real point of interest was the pedestrian tunnel under Manchester 2nd runway - where Swampy ultimately met his nemesis. Oh - and it stayed dry in the end. View attachment 530378
I haven't heard the word 'Yonks' for yonks :okay:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
As I headed away from the Leigh Brook I bumped into my old pal Mike M. I haven't seen Mike for years. He was in top form indeed. We must have chatted for at least an hour. I continued over to the Frome valley and onward for Withington. I crossed the Wye at Mordiford and took the climb of Bogmarsh for a change. No mire at Bogmarsh! At Hoarwithy I rode along the banks of the Wye for a lovely picnic stop with a lovely view. There was a thunderstorm in the distance and I got a few drops. Underway again I climbed away from the Wye. Over the summit of the Marcles I got more drops and soon after the roads were wet and mucky. Wet and mucky it was all the way back. I chose the usual route as time had been lost chatting earlier. Lovely ride apart from the wet mucky roads. Laundry and bike cleaning now. 68 smiles

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I went out this afternoon rather than risking the forecast thunderstorms this evening. It was pretty sunny, hot and muggy out there but that sure beats being soaked, frozen and blasted by wind, or staring into a misty murk!

I had decided to check another local 'climb to nowhere' that I had previously ignored but did a 12 km warm-up ride first which took me over Calderbrook Rd above the A6033 between Walsden and Littleborough. It is good to get away from the traffic on the main road and there are some nice views up there. The thing is though, some utter cad has broken the road... :whistle:

I first discovered that a few years ago when whizzing down the lane in the opposite direction, once again on a road bike with skinny tyres. The damaged road surface is not obvious until too late and I had been looking around at the scenery anyway so the first thing I knew was when the road disappeared from under me! :eek: It isn't much of an exaggeration to say that my life flashed before me... Somehow, I kept control and clattered down there without either crashing or wrecking my bike. I've been a bit more cautious going down there ever since! I thought I'd take a picture of the road for you because it isn't something that you see every day. Ok, we do have big potholes on some of the local roads, but they are not as big as that! :laugh:

The whole hillside seems to be on the move. The council made expensive repairs to the road a few times but it eventually became obvious that they would have to spend millions to stabilise the road properly and it wasn't justifiable for the small amount of traffic that used to use the road. Still, it means it is great for cyclists and people out walking their dogs - no traffic to share the road with!

I looped back via Calderbrook and Summit to return to Walsden. I had tackled one of the scenic dead-end climbs from there a couple of weeks ago (Allescholes Rd) and decided to tackle the next one down the valley today - Ramsden Wood Rd/Ramsden Ln. It is another road that I hadn't bothered with in the past because it only leads up to a few remote cottages, farms and footpaths. It turned out to be a cracker!

The first part of the road is a gradual drag up. Within a couple of hundred metres the traffic noise from the A6033 had gone and I was riding up past some nice houses, with a babbling brook to one side of the road. That is probably one of the sources of the regular flooding in Walsden village, but today it was just an inch or two deep. Birds singing in the trees, dappled light from the sunshine filtering through - lovely!

I came up to a slightly upmarket modern housing development. I preferred the old cottages that I had just passed, but these new houses are in a fantastic location, with good links to Manchester and Leeds, yet feeling like they were out in the countryside somewhere.

The road then kicks steeply up Ramsden Ln. That was a great little singletrack climb. It averages about 10% for a km but some bits were probably 15% and some only 7-8%. It is the kind of climb that a beginner would be very happy just to get up without stopping. A very fit rider could really attack it and time themselves. I'm somewhere in between... I can get up those hills but only at a very steady pace.

There is a little fishing pond up there and a couple of anglers were startled by the sound of my heavy breathing punctuating the peace of the location. One grunted something at me which I took to be a reference to old guys on bikes being daft enough to ride up steep Yorkshire hills. I gasped something back at him! ^_^

Further up the climb I approached a couple walking their dog. We exchanged a few friendly words as I wobbled past them, just about managing to scrape a 2 m gap on the narrow road.

The road eventually turned into a gravel track which my map shows going up to a farm. I stopped there to take a photo for y'all, and then whizzed back down the hill again to head for home on the main road.

It was only a 21 km ride, but I crammed about 360 m of climbing into it despite 3/4 of the ride being flat!

If you are anywhere near this area, I'd definitely recommend coming for the day and having a go at these climbs, plus of course some of the others that are NOT dead-ends. If you are interested in this kind of thing, take a look at the blog post that I found HERE.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
A happy Defy today, its chain and rear mech were well cleaned yesterday. Braved Bilton Lane again, it was late morning and just warmed up enough to not have to don any leg warmers but a long sleeve jersey was in order. Not that many walkers but a fair number of cyclists. TTLs still in place on the decent to Knaresborough

Somehow I got up the climb to Bond End without any motorised vehicle chugging away behind me. Then to Staveley via Farnham and once again that chicken, or maybe another, was roadside

Continuing then to Minskip and the southern edge of Boroughbridge for a ride south east along the undulating B6265. Turned off to Great Ouseburn for a snack break on a bench before heading in a northerly direction to the objective of the ride, the ABC “U” of Upper Dunsforth which I skipped on Sunday, and a village whose signs seemed sure and then again unsure of its location.

Back west via Arkendale and from Ferrensby it should then have been a rerun of the end of Sundays ride. However at Ripley it was plain that the almost normal status of someone digging up the road in Killinghall had occurred once again and there was one enormous traffic jam so a retreat for the first time this year to the Nidderdale Greenway.

Despite the lack of markings the cycle route does run along the footway. So with the weather still overcast the route was not packed with walkers and the Nidd could be glimpsed for once.

Subsequently discovered Strava have hidden its segments and classified them as hazardous. Re-joining the urban part of Bilton Lane I did a mini loop off it to avoid a set of TTLs that had caught me outbound and as a result had a straight on view of the Grade II* St Johns Church

Recalling another set of TTLs on the A59 opted to avoid that more level route home for a hillier one. 36.27 miles @ 13.8mph avg, 1867ftc climbed

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Following yesterday's miserable mosey / angry thrash I found myself struggling to keep my eyes open by 11 last night and got an uncharacteristiclly early night as a result. This translated into a better kip and unusual vigor and motivation this morning!

For once I skipped the usual shower and breakfast to nip into town on the ofo and pick up a couple of size-smaller T-shirts to capitalise on my steadily declining weight. Not a lot to report really; it was nice to get out in the cooler morning air, town was still pretty quiet and the shopping uneventful. After fulfilling my obligations as a subservient consumer I floated around the city for a bit; probably clocking up 10-12 sedate miles.

After showering, eating and a bit of food shopping I enjoyed a cracking afternoon thunder storm with lashings of heavy rain; most evidence of which on the roads had evaporated by the evening - however the cool, fresh air remained so I took the opportunity to get out on the Genesis.

It was supposed to be a shortish measured ride just for the sake of it, but after the first few miles it became clear that this was unlikely... cutting across Port Meadow accompanied by some proper old skool trance (not the often questionable commercial stuff I was raised on in the late '90s!) I suddently found myself with an irrepressible grin on my face; smashing along the trails while surrounded by many cows in various locations and positions peacefully munching on a variety of flora. Plenty of people about and most seemed as happy to be out as I was :smile:

No more gory details but I spent about an hour and a half caning it around various bits of the city with a fantastic soundtrack of jungle and rave classics, setting a good deal of PRs (which I eventually managed to get Strava to acknowledge when I got back) and thoroughly enjoying myself.

Tonight's blast came out at a bit less than 22 miles and 430ft at 15.2mph and 144bpm (39% zone 4), for around 1000kcal burned.

I'm glad that I've been in the mood for some higher intensity stuff recently as it makes a nice change to longer, more measured rides and is probably good to mix it up a bit to try and gain a bit more strength. Speaking of which, while the change in my fitness has obviously not been overnight I can definitely feel a significant improvement in both my endurance and strength; thanks to the last 2-3 months of riding I'm easily the fittest I've ever been :smile:

Thoroughly knackered now so I suppose I'd best get some sleep!

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride:

I hadn't expected to get a ride in, being busy in the morning and anticipating it being wet again in the afternoon, however after lunch there was nothing local showing on the rainfall radar so I got out.

After a couple of back-to-back fast rides (fast for me that is), something more sedate seemed like an idea so I grabbed the knockabout bike and headed across Lyth Hill to pootle round the lanes. The meandering route eventually took in Annscroft, Exford's Green, Long Lane, Longden Common, Wrentnall, Oaks, Plealey, Arscott, Exford's Green again, Hunger Hill and back over Lyth Hill via Little Lyth.

There was a bit of frustration at the start when I got overtaken while trying to pass a parked car :dry: but that soon faded as I climbed the hill and had the views to look at. Lyth Hill was as busy as ever with people out exercising. Not many people out walking or cycling as I dropped down the other side though.

Annscroft was surprisingly quiet and so was the road to Exford's Green up to a point. There was another minor annoyance here where a chap in an Audi barged past a couple of horses even though it was my priority. Yes, okay, you gave me a nice wave to say thanks for stopping but I didn't have a great deal of choice did I? :rolleyes:

Following a large tractor on the Stapleton road meant I didn't have to worry about what was coming the other way for a bit ^_^ until he turned off for Chatford while I turned the opposite way for Long Lane. With an easterly wind this time it was a novelty to be quicker along here than I'm used to for less effort.

At the end of the lane I decided to turn left to Longden Common and Wrentnall. I ride this road quite frequently but almost always in the other direction. The climb isn't quite as bad as I remember it, but is still a bit of a plod. I was glad the traffic was light. Turning off towards Wrentnall the climbing continues until the summit at Oaks, whereupon there is a long descent to Plealey. I decided to cut across to Arscott as I've done previously and at the end of that particular lane found a lost motorist wanting to know which road for Annscroft. I was able to point him in the right direction, and just as well as he was about to turn completely the wrong way if I hadn't.

There was a bit more traffic on the second pass through Exford's Green and although I could see the A49 was busy as I approached, I managed to get to it just as there was a lull, which was nice.

18.7 miles at 12.3 mph average. Good to get the ride in as today looks like being a washout.

The cloud looks quite threatening over the hills as viewed from near Longden Common.

At Oaks.

A couple of shots along the lanes around Plealey and Arscott. You are well away from any busy roads here so it's pretty peaceful.

Heading for Exford's Green.

Last look back to the Stretton Hills.

Mike_P

Guru
Thought I could get a ride in on the Defy before it rained but it did not take long to realise that would not to be the case. I had canned the idea of going any further west than Burley Bank before I realised that I had forgot Penny Pot was closed westbound, and as a result headed east onto the UCI circuit. The TTLs at the top of the decent to the U bend bridge had moved slightly meaning anyone heading west can at least get up the worse of the climb unhindered.

Down and round the bend over the bridge and up the climb of Cornwall Road to find another set of
TTLs which obviously had changed to red by the time I crawled up to them.

And then again a further set where the circuit turns left down Valley Drive. I suddenly realised a very off tangent ABC “V” was to hand – the rain on the sportscam lens making for a very zany shot of the sign for Valley Gardens

8.05 increasingly wet miles with 712ft climbed.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Another early start, overcast sky but nothing falling from it. Had spent some time thinking about a route to ride the fixed around and decided on one I do often enough, with minor changes.

Jack Lane into Holbeck, and Water Lane out. Aim for the Armouries, still Tatie Dock in my vocabulary, the path downriver to Woodlesford was just about deserted. Not at all surprising with a six thirty start. The towpath approaching Woodlesford Lock was infested with kamikaze ducks, I slowed down, managed to miss them all and as I left the canalside for the A642 I realised I could have had duck for dinner. It was only the thought of all that plucking . . .

Ride on to Swillington, what was the Miner’s Welfare has been renamed the Sports and Social Club. Garforth next, around the north side of there and find the B1217. It seems a while since I passed the gates at Lotherton Hall but I have not forgotten how to turn left there to pedal to Aberford. Along Main Street to the left turn onto Cattle Lane, and the up and downery along the road to Barwick.

The miles are rolling under the wheels well, it must be the ruts I have worn in the tarmac. Out of Barwick and through Scholes, slightly confusing roadworks at the A64 end of Thorner Lane, but no holdup. A left turn for the next two lanes to the A58, where I acted on the whim of turning right, and after a few hundred yards turned onto Whin Moor Lane.

Shadwell then. Of course it looks familiar, I rode through the place on Wednesday. This time, straight on at Slaid Hill lights, and after crossing the Ring Road its Moortown Corner next. Street Lane points towards the clock at Oakwood. More descending roads, ‘cos the river is down there. Crown Point Bridge takes me across that, shortly afterwards me and my grin ride into the street I live on. Thirty three miles, fourteen hundred and some feet going up, and of course down as well. Enjoyed that a lot.

Mappery by garthing, it does do well.

19062020.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
An emergency egg run this morning thanks to my perpetually poor planning. Weather forcast was a little grim; better later but I've been frequently disappointed by a lack of eggs when arriving at much past lunchtime so chanced it in my shorts and base layer - rain already spitting and ominous clouds ahead of me.. However, the world has given me the finger enough recently so I thought it was time to return the sentiment and set off defiant.

Thankfully the clouds and I managed to largely miss each other and I was pleasantly surprised to find remaining stock when I stopped at the egg man's gaff; stocking up on another 30. Weather seeming a bit less threatening and never wanting to go back the way I came I carried on and headed towards Abingdon; the traffic noticeably worse with the usual mix of throughtful drivers giving me all of the road and other giving next to nothing as they passed.

I came so very close to a fairly serious accident coming through Marcham; as some absolute imbecile of an old woman in her "mini" overtook me right at the approach to a blind left hand bend; cutting sharply in front of me - I remember thinking "if she brakes now I'm f-" when she braked hard and came to a complete stop in the face of oncoming traffic as she rounded the bend :ohmy:

I really thought I was screwed and hit the brakes; unclipping my right foot and trying to steer left to miss her on the inside. Because I was steering I didn't want to apply too much frontal braking and cause the front to wash out, so the rear got the lion's share; locking the wheel in my panic and causing it to slide outwards (there goes another few hundred miles worth of wear on that tyre :sad:). I narrowly missed the rear corner of her car and came to rest striking her rear quarter with my right arm to bring me to a standstill.

Despite the thump of 80kg of bike and rider impacting the side of her car and the subsequent unrestrained vocalisation of my malcontent, she just carried on oblivious. In my shock, rage and bewilderment I failed to get her numberplate and chased her down the Abingdon rd, but it's a NSL A-road so I had no chance of catching her.

I spent half an hour touring the carparks of the town but no joy... while relieved that the outcome wasn't more serious and that I managed to avoid simply piling into the back of her and damaging the bike, I'm angry at myself for failing to get her reg as (I suspect given that there was contact) I could have reported her for leaving the scene of an accident. Regardless of her potential excuses for what happened she's clearly a danger to other road users and it's a shame I can't be the one to bring this to the attention of the Polis :rolleyes:

It took me a good few miles to calm down; continuing through Radley then into the city via the usual cycle and tow paths then home.

Today has been the closest I've come to genuinely having a serious RTA with another vehicle for as long as I can remember, and while it's thankfully a rare occurance it's certainly rekindled my interest in getting a camera to record my rides as I'm thoroughly sick of being treated as if I'm utterly worthless..

Anyway, stupid, selfish, arrogant and dangerous old women not withstanding not a terrible ride and I feel a bit more empowered for going out despite the rain. I also feel a lot better both mentally and physically having been blighted by asthma, gammy eyes and some pretty horrible anxiety dreams last night following my sheer audacity in having had some chips and a few beers for dinner :sad:

In summary just over 29.5 miles and 400ft at 13.4mph and 129bpm for 1300kcal burned... I have to return to the homested at some point so might pop back later if my legs feel up to it, since the traffic will probably be better than tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
A couple of rides to post:

Ride One
The first was on Tuesday. I collected a new (to me) bike from @potsy of this parish on Sunday. Monday was spent doing a bit of work and dealing with ''stuff''. Monday evening I spent cleaning and fettling my old bike in preparation of selling it on again. (bought from another cc'er, @Spiderweb, a couple of years ago)
I don't like passing on stuff unless I know it's working well. Tuesday morning saw me out on my old bike checking and adjusting. Sweet as a nut.

A couple of local loops which added up to 17.1 miles and 1200ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/50853781

The rest of the week spent making funeral arrangements etc etc for a death in the family and so it was Thursday evening before I could tinker with my new ride:

0.jpg

Seat post adjusted, shorter stem moved over from my other bike, a general clean and so on and it was ready to roll.

Ride Two.
Out for 8am and I got no more than 100m down the road when I discovered the clamp holding the bars wasn't tight enough so a quick about turn and home to spanner it up. And off again. It fitted like a glove and everything was crisp and worked perfectly.
Being used to Campagnolo equipment I found myself searching a number of times for the thumb shifter to go up a gear which of course Shimano doesn't have. Even so it felt good. Thanks @potsy, it's a belter. :okay:

I may change the colour though........I like white bikes. :blink:

After a loop near home I made it up towards Wetherby and turned right up Jewitt Lane and then into Bramham, Aberford, Garforth and back home via Cross Gates.

27.4 miles and 1600 ft of up

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/51024789

Last edited:
Top Bottom