Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out on the Tricross at 10.30am with friends for a ride to Naburn Marina for coffee. Bit nippy but a fab ride and catch up. 34.4 miles with an average of 16.1mph.

gavgav

Guru
Out to make the most of the last day of my long weekend in Wales, with a shorter and hillier ride. Cloudy today, after 2 days of mostly beautiful sunshine, but not a breath of wind.

Headed out of the site via the short off road section route, gates over the railway line wide open today, as no trains can now run, due to the bridge works in Barmouth and through the lanes of Dyffryn Ardudwy.

With it being a Sunday morning, I gambled on the main road to Llanbedr being quiet and took it, which indeed it was, with only 2 cars passing me, before I turned off and began the steady climb up to Pentre Gwyfryn, then the steeper section alongside the Afon Artro, pausing to take a photo.

Continued upwards towards Cwm Bychan, pausing to let a couple in a car past me, with a very friendly wave of thanks. Shortly afterwards I can across same couple making a bit of a meal of reversing to let a farm vehicle and trailer through, thought they were going to hit the wall at one point, but they missed it!

It’s very pleasant cycling along the lanes up there and I reached the gate to Cwm Bychan, where I found the couple again, paused with the map out this time. The chap saw me and jumped out of the car for a chat and some instructions on where to go next, which was pretty easy, just follow the road alongside the Cwm, as far as it goes, to the car park. Very friendly chap though and he remarked how much better and idea a bike is, on these lanes and he laughed about his reversing manoeuvre back up the road!

I paused at Cwm Bychan, in my usual spot, for a bit of lunch, after riding to the far end of the lake and back again.

The descent back down from Cwm Bychan, to Llanbedr is a good and fairly fast run, which was enhanced further by seeing a Heron swoop down to the river, pluck a fish out of it and fly off again. Marvellous sight!

Back in Llanbedr I took a short section on the main road and then followed the NCN route 8, for some new territory, up into the hills. It was as steep as I feared, some good hairpin bends and got the lungs and legs working a fair bit, up to the summit.

The descent from there, down to Dyffryn Ardudwy, is exhilarating and particular one straight steep section, that, on the new bike, enabled me to reach 40.3mph:wahhey: great fun! At the main road, I took the longer route back to the caravan, via the beach road and arrived back with 19.19 miles on the clock, 1,438 ft of climbing, with 600ft of that in 1.5 miles, at 10.5mph avg.

Don’t want to go back home now and face the prospect of Covid restrictions coming in soon :cry:

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
I've not been on the bike for nearly two weeks now, as my missus has been going through the wars health-wise lately. I've filled the time with getting various jobs done around the house and garden. This morning, I had to miss my second club ride in a row, having specifically asked them to stop at Minsterworth church to watch the four star Severn Bore that was due this morning. I made time to nip out for 3/4 of an hour to go and watch the bore from Elmore Back .... directly opposite the church. This turned out to be a good decision, as little crowds were gathering at both viewpoints in Stonebench, and there were a few parked cars near the turning for Weir Green, and I didn't want to mix with crowds.

It was predicted to be a four star wave today, and they are quite rare in the hours of daylight, let alone on weekends in decent, mild weather, so I didn't want to miss the last one of the year. I couldn't stand directly opposite the church this time, as the trees on the river bank had grown, and had not yet lost their leaves, so I moved a little further along the dead end lane before crossing a field to get to the river bank. I was quite glad to avoid the crowds opposite. There was quite a splash opposite the church, and it looked like it was going to be a good one:
View attachment 553126
You can never predict quite how a bore will pan out, though. This one died a little just before it got to me:
View attachment 553127
By the time it was level with me, it was still impressive to see and hear such a fast surge of water suddenly flowing the wrong way, but I was a bit disappointed not to see a proper wave forming all the way across, or any surfers or canoeists riding it:
View attachment 553128
Never mind. It was still an event worth watching. There's always a great sense of anticipation, but you can't guarantee that it will live up to the hype. I made my way back to where I'd left my bike against the dyke wall .... which involved a tricky traverse of a length of crotch height barbed wire:
View attachment 553129

It might only have been a 9.1 mile bike ride, but I don't think there is a better way to follow this natural spectacle, as you can get away from all the cars and the people walking out from Quedgeley to the most accessible points on the riverbank and get quickly to the less visited viewpoints. As I cycled back towards the dairy farm in Elmore Back, I caught sight of a small group of cyclists on the main road on the opposite bank heading in the same direction as me. I supposed that might have been the club ride I was supposed to be on. They are off to the Forest of Dean Visitor Centre today. I would have loved to be on that ride.

Only 9.1 miles, but great to get the wheels turning again. I might throw in one or two more short, local rides in the coming week, as it is such a pleasure to get out there, and I don't want to fall too far behind my end of year target mileage at this late stage. Enjoy your rides everyone.
Cheers, Donger.
Best wishes to Mrs D for a speedy recovery

geocycle

Legendary Member
‘‘Twas right back endish today! Very heavy cloud, almost drizzling and cold. Decided to go out anyway as yesterday had been spoilt by work issues. 35 gentle miles with 635m of climbing was just the ticket. Most interesting was arriving at Arnside in time for the Arnside bore. Not on the same scale as @Donger Severn Bore but impressive none the less. A wall of water 50 cm high advanced up the channel carrying kayakers and soon filled the estuary completely.

Today was not great for photographs but I am enjoy a new app called Peak Finder that identifies the hills you are looking at. Example below looking north from Arnside.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Bit of a ripply grey sky this morning, a few gleams of sunlight and an absence of breeze Plenty enough to send me out for a ride.

It is eleven days since I rode the Bob Jackson, ooops, 16 since the fixed was out. I chose the one with gears, easier that way. A solo ride, mostly east of here, not as lumpy as some of my recent rides. Aim for the Armouries to start with, then down the riverside. A couple of bridges to negotiate where the Aire and Calder starts, a bit further downstream another bridge to cross the Aire, and then pass Thwaite’s Mill.

Woodlesford is where I left the waterside, sort of turn left for Swillington and the first bit of lumpiness. On to Garforth and it’s cliff, then things level out all the way to what was once the New Inn, on Sherburn bends. Into Sherburn itself and turn left onto Sir John’s Lane. Cold Hill Farm and the climb away from it are next, oh there’s a surprise, Lotherton Gates!

Turn right for Aberford and the road from there to Barwick really did show off the colours of Autumn, helped by the recently ploughed fields either side. Which were brown, the same brown as some of the leaves on the trees. But the leaves were brighter. On to Scholes from there, a couple of wide views to enjoy before the ever expanding outskirts of Leeds are reached.

Even here the roads were quiet (ish) so pleasant pedalling and a whizz down Boot Hill before aiming towards town centre and crossing the Aire to reach home again. Thirty five miles and seventeen hundred feet by the time I reached my street. Freezing cold feet but still a grin.

Some variations in bearing and elevation,

18102020.jpg

1810elev.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Had plans for a biggish ride today probably 80 miles or so ,alarm went off at 0700 just not feeling it so rolled back over and back to sleep .Finally up at 0900 bit of faffing before finally finding some motivation and out the door at 1000 into dull overcast conditions . Reset my targets and a 50 miler it is . Anstey ,Cossington ,Ratcliffe on the Wreake Thrussington and Rearsby crossing the A607 onto much more rolling terrain through Gaddesby and onto the first big climb out if Ashby Foevile .3 riders had turned onto the climb just before me so competitive me thought I will beat them up it . One rider had already dropped the other 2 who were caught fairly easily but the other ride put up a bit more of a fight :boxing:he heard me coming and accelerated but I managed to catch him :becool: just before the end of the steep bit leaving me to keep the effort going along the steady drag so I didn't lose face ,silly I know :laugh: but it had to be done :rolleyes:. Down the quiet lanes to Kirby Bellars and a quick bit of the A607 then turned off through Asfordby and the next big climb Saxelby again had a rider just infront so another chase . Caught him disappointingly easily leaving me to my own pace up the hill .Up onto the ridge and found another rider to chase :rolleyes: he was just about matching my pace ,took me a mile to reel him in .A quick chat as I past and he was on my wheel towed him for a mile before I turned off and got thanked for the tow :okay:. Wymeswold ,Prestwold ,Barrow ,Sileby and back to Cossington . Slightly short of miles so diverted through Swithland and home with 52.3 miles in the bag with 2200ft of upness at 15.9 mph ,not the ride I had planned but considering the lack of motivation this morning I will settle for that

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
A shorter ride today around Whixall starting off towards Northwood, into Whixall and over Dobsons Bridge, turned at the crossroads in Hollinswood back over the canal to Fenns Wood, Fenns Bank, cross the canal again at Blackloe onto Alkington, Tilstock turning back down the next lane to Whixall taking the opposite direction at the crossroads to Coton, Edstaston, Foxholes where there were 3 slightly dim guinea fowl playing chicken with a car, they eventually moved onto the side only to stroll back into the lane in front of a big Audi! Luckily they picked a nice Audi driver and she stopped unfortunately with the car being quite high she couldn’t see if they had all moved so I let her know when they decided to move again. I then had to go round the guinea fowl to carry on back to Northwood then home. Lots of cyclists out today, few horse riders and a pony and trap. 23.19miles @15mph.
6BD21F7C-CB9D-4044-BA3F-547E2A04204F.jpeg

6DEE0CCE-35B4-4935-8DE2-829E3216E5B3.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Defy cleaned this morning and pointed in a south east direction; same initial route as a three weeks ago through Knaresborough, Little Ribston, Coneythorpe and Tockwith to Long Marston. Dull, overcast and not particularly warm but Waterside at Knaresborough was as busy as ever with pedestrians making progress slow.
A lot more cyclists about today and I was left in the trail of one on the approach to Long Marston. We both continued at increasing separation south east towards Askham Richard, where I turned east to the A64/A1237 junction. Not as busy as I feared it might be so stayed on the vehicular carriageway rather than using the cycle tracks and having crossed over the A64 turned into Copmanthorpe; passing a memorial cross.
Copmanthorpe.jpg

I was slightly puzzled by the Wahoos directions but it turned out to be a shortcut for once. Further on the U shaped route through Acaster Malbis caused more staring at the Wahoos map and now heading north east on the route on NCN66; to pass under and then up an access path to join the Trans –Pennine Trail of NCN65 along the abandoned section of the East Coast mainline across the River Ouse.
Naburn bridge.jpg

Continued on the NCN, rather rough, and hence slow, with tree roots, and then turned off to head east to another encounter this weekend with the A19, this time the busy York-Selby section. A short ride along that A road brought me to the xS of Escrick.
escrick 1.jpg

Back briefly on the A19 to the south for a turn to the west in order to reach the xT of Stillingfleet
Stillingfleet 1.jpg

South west to Cawood on the B1222 it started to drizzle with increasing frequency, which ceased as soon as turned north west on the B1223 after crossing the swing bridge. Noted a cyclist in front who eventually I caught and overtook and then turning north on the A162 to Tadcaster and hence a repeat of a route from a month ago via the A659, NCN665, Wetherby, NCN67, Spofforth, Haggs Road and Rudding Lane. Use of NCN67 in particular made the cleaning of the bike a bit pointless.
63.91 miles @ 13.9mph avg, 2139 ft climbed
18-10-20 elev.jpg

18-10-20 route map.jpg

Last edited:

roley poley

Über Member
Out to make the most of the last day of my long weekend in Wales, with a shorter and hillier ride. Cloudy today, after 2 days of mostly beautiful sunshine, but not a breath of wind.

Headed out of the site via the short off road section route, gates over the railway line wide open today, as no trains can now run, due to the bridge works in Barmouth and through the lanes of Dyffryn Ardudwy.

With it being a Sunday morning, I gambled on the main road to Llanbedr being quiet and took it, which indeed it was, with only 2 cars passing me, before I turned off and began the steady climb up to Pentre Gwyfryn, then the steeper section alongside the Afon Artro, pausing to take a photo.
View attachment 553147

Continued upwards towards Cwm Bychan, pausing to let a couple in a car past me, with a very friendly wave of thanks. Shortly afterwards I can across same couple making a bit of a meal of reversing to let a farm vehicle and trailer through, thought they were going to hit the wall at one point, but they missed it!

It’s very pleasant cycling along the lanes up there and I reached the gate to Cwm Bychan, where I found the couple again, paused with the map out this time. The chap saw me and jumped out of the car for a chat and some instructions on where to go next, which was pretty easy, just follow the road alongside the Cwm, as far as it goes, to the car park. Very friendly chap though and he remarked how much better and idea a bike is, on these lanes and he laughed about his reversing manoeuvre back up the road!

I paused at Cwm Bychan, in my usual spot, for a bit of lunch, after riding to the far end of the lake and back again.
View attachment 553148

View attachment 553149

View attachment 553150

The descent back down from Cwm Bychan, to Llanbedr is a good and fairly fast run, which was enhanced further by seeing a Heron swoop down to the river, pluck a fish out of it and fly off again. Marvellous sight!

Back in Llanbedr I took a short section on the main road and then followed the NCN route 8, for some new territory, up into the hills. It was as steep as I feared, some good hairpin bends and got the lungs and legs working a fair bit, up to the summit.

The descent from there, down to Dyffryn Ardudwy, is exhilarating and particular one straight steep section, that, on the new bike, enabled me to reach 40.3mph:wahhey: great fun! At the main road, I took the longer route back to the caravan, via the beach road and arrived back with 19.19 miles on the clock, 1,438 ft of climbing, with 600ft of that in 1.5 miles, at 10.5mph avg.

Don’t want to go back home now and face the prospect of Covid restrictions coming in soon :cry:
love the mossy bridge pic

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
After Friday's voyage of discovery to Shotover on the Raleigh I was keen to repeat the route on the CdF.

Yesterday I slung the decent camera in the bag and followed pretty much the same route, ignoring the slight squeak from the chain following the muddy previous ride. Despite the CdF's much lower gearing I found the ascent to the park little easier than the day before, and was a little surprised to see the grad apparently just top out at 10% (from an average of maybe 7-8%) as it looked and felt a lot steeper in places; perhaps it was in short sections...

Lots more people out being a Saturday, but there was plenty of room so it was all good. Made my way to the glorious wide, leaf-laden path having taken in some nice views en-route (some images shamelessly edited, some straight out of the camera.... hence the irritating discrepency in size, which I might fix tomorrow depending on how much it offends my OCD).

SMALL_IMG_1295a.jpg

This part of the route is about half a mile long and downhill; deceptively so in parts..

SMALL_IMG_1300a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_1303a.jpg

The view over the valley towards Wheatley:

IMG_1328.JPG

Much "fun" was had negotiating the end of this section with it's fairly coarse gravel / rock surface and 12% decline in places; the leaves serving both to camouflage what lay beneath and make braking more tricky while bouncing around all over the place. Thankfully I'd dragged my brakes on the whole decent so managed when the steep bit at the bottom caught me out - a good job since I have limited runoff at the bottom. I don't think the terror in my eyes escaped the dogwalker coming the other direction :tongue:

I rode as far as the gate to Wheatley and turned around as I couldn't be arsed to punt the bike over the gate and don't much like riding through the village anyway.

SMALL_IMG_1325b.jpg

I only included the one below as the lighting and subject separation conspired to make it look like the bike had been badly photoshopped into the image...

SMALL_IMG_1332a.jpg

I retraced my route to a point then followed the road through Littleworth, Horspath and home..

SMALL_IMG_1341b.jpg

By the time I got back the chain was really protesting so that's due another clean and wax (yeah, it's crap in the wet) while the whole drivetrain felt pretty "sticky" - not sure if this was just down to the chain or whether the bottom bracket's causing issues; will find out tomorrow when I have the chain off no doubt.

Only 20 miles; glad I got out but tbh the previous day's ride had been more enjoyable; with more energy, the novelty of the new route, no constant stopping to take photos and no drivetrain issues..

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride:

While the dry and calm weather lasts I thought it would be good to make the most of it and get another Lunacy Challenge qualifier in the bag. It was the usual early start to get myself and the Raleigh out on the road in the dark of 7am on a mid October morning. Although I was planning to ride to some places I've visited a lot this year I was going for some variation to keep things fresh.

The roads were nice and quiet as I headed for Condover where I found a bit of an obstacle in the form of a road closure. I'd already checked that there is access for cycles on this one and wasn't expecting there to be anyone to stop me going through at this time on a Sunday morning anyhow. Seeing a hi-vis jacket reflecting my lights I did for a moment think there was someone working, but it turned out to be a dog walker.

Through Cantlop, Pitchford and Acton Burnell I saw very little traffic at all. The sky lightened as dawn approached but I wasn't going to see much in the way of a sunrise due to it being overcast and misty. I had a pause for a drink before tackling the Folly Bank climb and also took the opportunity to make a couple of adjustments, raising the saddle slightly and the handlebars too. The climb was a bit slow with the bike loaded up and the descent fun as usual. As is often the case, it was colder on the Cardington side of the hill and the mist a little more extensive.

There were a few more vehicles about after Hughley. I took a second breakfast stop near to Harley and there were pheasants all over the road on the approach to Harnage Grange (which I visited to add a bit of distance on the way to Cressage). I had thought about going to Wroxeter and Upton Magna but seeing that the mileage looked good enough decided to stay on better roads through Eaton Constantine and Uppington instead. A group of cyclists caught and overtook me going along Bluebell Lane - the first of several during the day.

At Walcot I was happy that the mileage was still good but took the longer road through Withington on my way to Rodington Heath just in case, then made a detour to have a nose at the progress on the still closed Ercall Mill Bridge before heading for Roden and round the detour to Poynton Green and Walton. On the approach to Walton a driver decided to go for an overtake into a blind left-hander and had to haul on the anchors sharpish when someone came the other way. Twit.:rolleyes:

After Walton I was back on track to head through Heath Lanes, Ellerdine Heath, Little Bolas (elevenses stop near here) and Eaton Upon Tern where I turned off my usual route to head for Child's Ercall instead. The legs were feeling quite fatigued at this point and it felt like I was struggling into a headwind but I'm not sure how much wind there actually was. Reaching the village I took what I thought was my turning only to start having doubts after about a mile. Stopping to check the map I found I'd turned one junction too early so had to retrace my steps for a second pass of the village. I got the right junction this time but it also proved to be a road that had some farm activity going on - a sign saying "mud on road" had me thinking "you don't say" but just round the corner it was properly awful with a thick layer of red mud on a climb and the bike wheels sliding and tramlining all over the place. I had terracotta coloured stripes on the tyres for the rest of the trip.

I was now aimed for Cheswardine. I'd passed the 50 mile mark and the legs were really quite lethargic as I wound my way up the climbs into the village and paused for photos, then pressed on following the NCN markers on the way to Market Drayton. I've only ridden this way once before, in the other direction, which I found to be pretty tough going but today was a different experience with the long gentle descents interspersed with short, sharp climbs much easier to cope with. My memory suggested a steep final climb into Drayton but the reality was a gentle slope taken without much effort.

Having got through town I headed out again on my preferred route to Longford and Longslow where I paused in a gateway for my lunch stop. Being a sunday and fairly nice weather I thought there would be a lot of cyclists but I only saw a couple while stopped. I did start to see more out on the roads afterwards though, including a couple of family groups. Calverhall came and went and at Ightfield I encountered a MGIF motorist who went for an overtake despite the fact the traffic ahead of me was coming to a halt.

Turning onto quieter lanes I barely saw anyone apart from a couple of cyclists as far as the A41 crossing, then had another plodding climb up into Prees. I'd done over 70 miles at this point and was worried about how much I was flagging, but from Prees onwards seemed to find a second wind as I got onto the flatter ground and started to see some better cruising speeds through Coton, Whixall and Dobson's Bridge. Reaching Northwood I'd hit the 80 mile mark and I knew that I had enough miles in hand to head through Lyneal, Colemere and Whitemere rather than my usual way to Ellesmere. This gave a nice change of scenery and I had a snack stop with a view at Colemere. While here a couple came and chatted - the lady told me that she had been on a sentimental journey to visit the site where her grandparents cottage had been. Many happy memories she said but it didn't stop her bursting into tears - not something I'm used to when chatting with strangers.

After Whitemere and Lee I could head for home the most direct way, via Lower Hordley, Bagley, Weston Lullingfields, Baschurch, Little Ness, Montford Bridge and round the edge of Shrewsbury. The improved pace continued and even the hills seemed easier. I was finding the saddle a little firm on and off this time but it's been a lot worse on other rides. I did start to run out of energy so the jelly babies were opened at Forton which helped over the hill to Bicton. I was slightly annoyed that the traffic lights at Shelton didn't recognise a cyclist and my side of the junction stayed on red while the other approaches went through their sequences until a car came along behind me.:dry:

105.5 miles at 13.2 mph average. Total time including stops was 10 hours and 5 minutes. Not very quick but I felt better than on the last century ride and I didn't have even a twinge of cramp so I'm hoping the adjustments earlier in the ride have found a sweet spot.

This trip marks a milestone in that I have now caught up with the backlog caused by missing rides earlier in the year and from changing challenges (Imperial Century challenge requires 12 rides, Lunacy requires 13). Just two to go now.^_^

I was concentrating on the ride so photo stops were a little bit more random than usual:

Pre dawn mist around the Stretton hills taken from near Acton Burnell.

The view of Caer Caradoc from my drink/adjustment stop just before climbing Folly Bank.

The Royal Oak at Cardington.

Jumping on a bit: The work is progressing at Ercall Mill Bridge. The annoyance of having to take a few miles detour is slightly offset by the novelty of riding a section of this usually busy road without any other traffic.

Jumping on again; the canal at Goldstone Wharf.

Cheswardine.

Going through field after field of elephant grass on the way to Market Drayton.

A drink stop at Prees.

Snack stop at Colemere.

Not enough wind for sailing at Whitemere.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another overcast morning with hardly any wind and enough time for a longer ride. Headed towards Loppington taking a diversion to Commonwood before turning back to Nonely, Myddle up the hill then down Lower Road to Merrington, past the woods to Old Woods, Fennemere, Eyton going past the schools into Baschurch, over the crossroads to Weston Lullingfields, Marton Burlton,English Frankton, Pikesend, Lyneal , round Colemere going past the church and vineyard and back to Lyneal passing the canal boat hire place, into Welshampton just in time to follow a tractor up the lane then back to Northwood where I turn for home had a nasty surprise coming round a corner to find a convoy of maize harvesting tractors with various large pieces of machinery attached, the front one had what I assume chops the maize up on the front of it which was just a bit unnerving having lots of sharp things passing that close to me! I got as far off the lane as I could and let them all go, 5 of them altogether, and carried on home. 35.24 miles @15 mph. Only one photo as the other one was rubbish.
2EFD29B8-8030-4654-ACD0-7947F4187078.jpeg

I had a terrific ride yesterday. Living in Littleborough it falls within Greater Manchester (GM) as it is right on the rural edge of it and comes within Rochdale Borough Council. As the area is due to be put into the COVID Tier 3 severe restrictions there is likely to be travel restrictions limited to within the footprint of residents' own local Council boundary. I don't own a car so all my travel is currently by bike or foot.
This got me thinking about designing a cycle route that loosely follows the whole Rochdale borough boundary. It's actually quite a large boundary of over 40 miles with huge variances in attractive scenery. I referred to a small guide book that covers the 'Rochdale Way'. This is a walkers only route as it includes several stretches that have steep steps and also some pathways where cyclists are not permitted. But it broadly provided the bones of a good route and coupled with my local knowledge I designed a route that included the following:
Littleborough, Blackstone Edge (Pennine Way), singletrack descent to Summit (Littleborough), Warland, Higher Shore, Watergrove, Lobden, Whitworth, Broadley, Prickshaw, Rooley Moor, Greenbooth Reservoir, Norden, Ashworth, Heywood, Bowlee, Rhodes, Boothroyden, Alkrington Woods, Middleton, Hopwood, Slattocks, Thornham, Burnedge, High Crompton, Dunwood Park, Newhey, Haugh, Piethorne Reservoir, Tunshill, Longden Clough, Rakewood, Littleborough.

The total distance was 43 miles with 22 being completely off road of which approximately 17 miles were on rough moorland tracks. It is definitely a route exclusively for an mtb and would not be recommended to tackle after a period of heavy rain. But we have had a mainly dry past week so conditions were ideal.

@ColinJ, definitely one for us to repeat post COVID if your mtb is 'ride ready'.

Here are some pics.
Track to Watergrove Reservoir

A mum and calf suckling on Syke Moor

Track to Greenbooth Reservoir

Lunch Stop at Bowlee (Nr Middleton)

Path Through Alkrington Woods

Leaf Fall Alkrington Woods

Track above Piethorne Reservoir

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Grey. But that is better than the black earlier. And bright, for all that. Take the Bob Jackson out again, the route promised some hills.

Never done a direct check, but the A58 and Whin Moor Road junction is about 750 feet of vertical up from home, Slaid Hill will be similar I guess. Joined a couple of others there and off we went on a very instructive and enjoyable wander around. My first visit to Stairfoot Lane in a very long time, I had (excusably) forgotten just how far downhill that went.

To Adel, and then through a bit of Holt Park to Otley Old Road, then a bit of a squiggle around the airport to cross the A658 and eventually, with scenery, reaching Guiseley. I am not familiar with this area, very glad the other two knew what they were doing! On to Hawksworth, the route bending to the right except for the tour of Menston.

My mistake, I did not see the turn on the garthing. On the way into Otley we had a chat about where next and someone said ‘Farnley’, So we crossed the Wharfe and climbed up to there. Just for the view to the other side of the dale, of course. Nothing to do with the fastest descent of the day, was it? After crossing the Washburn, then the Wharfe again we rode out of Pool towards Arthington.

And turned right to climb Creskeld Lane. About sixteen minutes later I reached the top, it felt a lot longer. But that is about it for uphills now, until Kings Road. Which came with added extra tailwind today, so pretty fair. A left and a right at the top for a different way to Eccup, then back to Slaid Hill, where we had all started. And now parted.

I chose to ride through Shadwell and Oakwood, the familiar way to the other side of the Aire, just to be sure I made the fifty miles for the day. Almost made fifty one, but still worth a grin. And 3100 feet going up. A cracking good ride, that was.

And this is where we went . . .

20102020.jpg

2010elev.jpg

Yesterdays ride.... tough going generally, bit gusty, legs not their best, only 28 miles but felt like more.
Chester to Hawarden, north to Saughall and some dinking about to look for shelter as the Dee path was hard work with the wind.

The ruined south tower of John the Baptist ex- cathedral in Chester summed up my mood fairly well.
One thing I love about cycling is you have a bad day but you are still itching to get back on the saddle, which is how I feel today, so onward and upward :okay:

Top Bottom