Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out on the Tricross at 2.30pm with David & Suzanne from our village. A bit nippy so warmer gloves and thin shoe covers. Bumped into Gareth so all four of us rode together, felt strange as not done that for a while. 30 miles to the outskirts of York with an average of 16.1 mph, lovely ride.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Out on the 24 mile Matfen loop with Mrs A_T on the tandem... really pushed ourselves and managed just over 16mph average... bit tired now but a nice day for a picnic on the Green.

Lots of people about today- always see a lot of smiles and happy faces when we're out on the Orbit!

Mike_P

Guru
Delayed start to the days ride proved positive as the sun put in appearance by the time I set off, not that it lasted for the whole ride. The delay largely being down to the ebike which would not reverse back into the bike shed. Problem was the chain was wedged behind the spider and it took some time to free it, and two attempts to refit it.

Annoyed the Wahoo immediately by not following the planned route; it had been plotted on the basis of a westerly and today was a distinct northerly; back to winter kit with added head and shoe covers. So A59 and Burley Bank to Penny Pot again and then south with a number of PRs over Norwood Edge

Steep drop down to cross over Lindley Wood Reservoir and then up to Farnley and down to a non-working it seemed Queen Victoria drinking fountain.

Though Otley in slow queuing traffic and west then south along the A6038 before turning off to descend Old Hollins Hill but first this lump of up to 18.3%

The descent brought me to the 3rd digit AZ of Esholt. Rather scarce in village names I found an appropriate notice board at the church.

The village use to be where Emmerdale was filmed.

Back to the A6038 and the climb of Hollins Hill before turning off in search of a Guiseley name. Got a triple collection in one shot.

A NE-E-NE route largely upwards along Carlton Lane with an easy right turn SE out off as a van stopped well before the junction for two horse riders who were eventually going to turn into Lane. More queuing traffic at the junction with the A658 which I turned onto NE with the decent of Pool Bank. At the foot signs referred to raised manholes but the road had been resurfaced apart from, of all places, a section on the upward slope of the bridge over the River Wharfe.

More annoyance of the Wahoo followed as given the northerly I decided to stay on the lower route of the A658, and A61 briefly, before heading to the climb through Burn Bridge. Paused at a pretty mouldy bench for a final snack and then via the car blocked Beech Grove and looped round to the A59 westbound in order to tackle the final climbs in a southerly direction much to the Wahoos delight as the plotted route was reacquired.

38.31 miles with 3,077 ft climbed 12.3mph avg (650ft and 1 mile more than the plotted route for which Komoot predicted a 12.5mpg avg)

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Bit of an epic on the tandem with the lovely Mrs Tuesday in the Cheshire flatlands, just shy of 100k.

Feat. Tatton Park/ Frodsham / River Weaver / Anderton Boat lift. Many small lanes, wall to wall sunshine, Buzzards a-plenty, a hare, a swallow.

And this lovely orchard was a perfect lunch spot.

Rather tired now.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Much cooler this morning than the past few days and after commuting in short sleeves and shorts this week it was back to warmer clothes. Headed off to Horton and onto the Ellesmere road to Loppington turning by the pub to Nonely and then to Myddle. Up the hill to turn down Lower road to Merrington where a bus driver tried the stupid pass of the day on a narrow, windy uphill lane where he couldn’t see round the corner and seemed to forget he was driving a bus. It would have been a daft idea in a car but he wasn’t going to get up much faster than I was going and the back of the bus was much closer than I would like. Called him some unladylike names under my breath and carried on to Old Woods through to Yeaton passing some nice gatehouses for the local estate. Up another bank to Little Ness, past Adcote school into Baschurch , over the crossroads to Weston Lullingfields, Bagley meeting a big tractor and crop sprayer coming out of a field, I stopped and let him go first so he wouldn’t have to overtake me, unfortunately he was going slower than I was! Luckily it was turning into a lovely sunny day so didn’t mind that much. It wasn’t long before he turned off and I got moving a bit faster to Lee, Ellesmere, up Swan Hill passing lots of parked cars so the Mere must have been busy, down Stocks lane to Welshampton, Northwood and home. It was definitely warming up by the time I got home, lots of people out today. 35 miles.

Old jon

Guru
The forecast promised a north easterly wind. And it was. So I thought I would do what I have read other riders do, ride into the wind on the way out, should have a tailwind on the return journey. And it was not warm.

Never mind the temperature, once across the Aire the road goes up to Oakwood and that warmed me up. More up, more warmth and then turn onto Red Hall Lane. A right turn right into the wind, or so it felt. Ride along Skeltons Lane next, this will be closed from the sixth of the month until sometime in August. Diversions may be interesting.

Descend Sandhills, there is a change, into Thorner. And ride up Church Hill out of Thorner on the way to Bramham. Oddly, the wind was not obviously slowing me, or maybe I just found the right gear for once. Turn left onto West Woods Road, just before reaching the village. The A1 M is to the right of this, must have soaked up any bad effects the wind may have had, pedalling was pretty much as normal.

Wattle Syke roundabouts next, left, first exit, onto the road with that name. Which could be translated as ‘stream with willows,’ though there does not seem to be a watercourse nearby, except the River Wharfe. Well, maybe. Riding, turn left to Collingham and soon a right turn onto the A659 again heading to Harewood. The road climbs, the wind is a real tailwind and I was lucky enough to be there in a quiet time, traffic wise. Reach a false crest and down in the dip is the left turn to East Keswick.

From here it is the ridge road, using various aliases, all the way to Slaid Hill. In the other direction this road is quick, even though to the eye it seems more or less flat. The direction I am riding today? Up, some of it short and sharp. Most of the rest, just up. Reach the traffic lights at Slaid Hill and the road has run out of up. For which I was truly grateful, from now on I can pretend, to myself, that I ride almost quick.

Shadwell Lane to Moortown, almost a ‘U’ turn onto Street Lane, Princes Avenue to the clock at Oakwood. Further down the hill to go back across the River Aire then I am almost home. Once there, after thirty one miles, the garthing told me 555 metres of going up, and very unusually, exactly the same downwards. In old money, about 1820 feet in either direction. Had to smile, it was a good ride.

Tyre tracks in three dimensions. Ish

03042021.jpg

0304elev.jpg

Cathryn

Legendary Member
My longest ride for 4 years at 42 miles...and solo as well. I was legit nervous beforehand - I nearly chickened out, then nearly turned back twice...I had to promise myself I’d call my husband half way if I was miserable!

Reader...I wasn’t miserable!

I rode through the Vale of Pewsey, linking together the pretty villages along the Kennet & Avon canal until I got to Hungerford, where I sat by the canal and devoured 1) coffee 2) veggie sausage roll 3) a sultana and raisin pastry as big as my face! And then I rolled home along the Ramsbury road back to Marlborough!

The weather was okay...dry but grey, overcast and with a cold headwind at all times! I didn’t stop for photos as it was too chilly and I wanted to keep going. Got home tired but not exhausted and feeling chuffed with myself!

Attachments

• 5C5313DE-C45F-45B7-A268-B9A48D08A898.jpeg
    5C5313DE-C45F-45B7-A268-B9A48D08A898.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 3B2132CF-DF03-4282-AEAF-062EB66E0802.jpeg
    3B2132CF-DF03-4282-AEAF-062EB66E0802.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 11

gavgav

Guru
My longest ride for 4 years at 42 miles...and solo as well. I was legit nervous beforehand - I nearly chickened out, then nearly turned back twice...I had to promise myself I’d call my husband half way if I was miserable!

I rode through the Vale of Pewsey, linking together the pretty villages along the Kennet & Avon canal until I got to Hungerford, where I sat by the canal and devoured 1) coffee 2) veggie sausage roll 3) a sultana and raisin pastry as big as my face! And then I rolled home along the Ramsbury road back to Marlborough!

The weather was okay...dry but grey, overcast and with a cold headwind at all times! I didn’t stop for photos as it was too chilly and I wanted to keep going. Got home tired but not exhausted and feeling chuffed with myself!
Awesome, well done!

C R

Guru

Nice bike, what is it?

gavgav

Guru
After completing what I hope is my last Saturday morning working in this pandemic, I got out into the sunshine after lunch, to bag my April half century challenge ride, early in the month. Whilst the sunshine was lovely, it was freezing cold out there, with a biting North Easterly wind, that I was riding into for the first 10 miles or so.

I followed the same route as on my Thursday ride with @Rickshaw Phil and Doug, to Upton Magna, having to negotiate lots of people who seemed unable to walk in the pedestrian lane of the shared paths and a lad on a horse, along the old canal path at Uffington.

From Upton Magna I battled the wind down to Withington and Walcot, where, despite the bridge closed signs, I knew there was a way through for cyclists, following reading Phil’s report earlier today. I met quite a few cyclists on the next section to Charlton, including overtaking an elderly chap on a bike that was way too small for him and he had a dog on a lead running alongside him:laugh:.

At Charlton, I turned up the lane to Wrockwardine, where some new speed limit signs have appeared, but are covered yet, along with some paved entrances/exits to and from the village, so I expect it will become a 20 zone soon. I finally had the wind behind me now and paused for a photo of The Wrekin

I crossed the old A5, with ease and then enjoyed a wind assisted climb up and descent down to Eaton Constantine, before having to wait an age to progress at the crossroads, due to streams of traffic, then descending to Cressage. An easy cross of the A458, was followed by the steep climb up Shore Lane, to CoundMoor, then a left and right to Acton Burnell.

From there I turned back into the wind again, to Pitchford, where despite a road closure for pothole work a few weeks ago, they’ve basically filled in about 3 or 4 of the 30 or so deep potholes and appear to have done with a knife and fork, creating mounds that are almost as bad as the holes!!:wacko:

I was feeling the cold again, on the final sections to Cantlop, Betton Abbots and home, with 31.5 miles done at 11.6mph avg. A shower to warm up when I got home and time to start my Easter beer 🍺

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The forecast locally was wrong today..... but in a good way. Less windy than I'd expected and with :sun:. The plan was to do another longish ride so I got the Raleigh out this afternoon and headed to do an orbit of Shrewsbury.

The first section out to Montford Bridge was on cycle paths to Shelton then on road through Bicton. The cycle paths aren't fast going but it was quicker once on the road. I overtook another rider who started off from the Shelton lights in a leisurely manner then he came past me a quarter mile or so later along with a car blaring its horn all the way past - one of those pillocks who believe that riding two-abreast is illegal I expect.:rolleyes: The other rider was only slightly faster than me and in Bicton met up with another rider and slowed so I overtook again. By the time I'd crested the hill and dropped into Montford Bridge they were nowhere to be seen.

In Montford Bridge I turned off this road and took to some quieter ones, dropping into Grafton and Yeaton then headed for Old Woods and the climb to Merrington. I thought I'd take the pleasant detour to Harmer Hill this time - I'd been in two minds about it as this is a very popular place for people to walk and cycle but to my surprise, today it was pretty much deserted.

Next up were Plex and Hadnall. I'd turned so that the wind was starting to help which made this section a little easier than usual and the gradient on the way to Astley helped too. After crossing the A53 I took the slightly longer way round to get to Bings Heath, Poynton and Roden. I had the wind helping now which made for some comfortable cruising through Rodington Heath, Withington, Upton Magna and Atcham. Going through Cross Houses and Berrington is a bit longer but easier with just the one steepish climb to tackle then it was the usual route to Condover and turning back into the wind for the run up to the A49.

A very nice Easter Saturday outing. A good selection of other riders out and about but in honesty I had thought that there would be more.

38.7 miles at 14.7 mph average.

Yeaton

Nice to see some traditionally laid hedges on the road to Old Woods.

At Harmer Hill; I imagine that being a stunning place to live.

At Withington. Hopefully it'll be possible to have a pint at the pub here sometime this summer.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Left head and shoe covers behind today; weather was overcast with increasing sunny periods as the ride went on and the northerly wind seemed lighter than yesterday. Initially followed the route of the ride I did a week last Tuesday, aside from taking the correct turns in Bilton.
The change was to head south east from Knaresborough; not unproblematic as waiting at the lights to cross the York Road I glanced down at the chainrings and saw the chain not on the smaller ring as I expecting but partly on the larger and otherwise draped over the pedal crank. Despite refitting the chain it seemed jammed, eventually resolved by changing the rear derailleur
Through Little Ribston then east over the A168 and A1(M) to Cowthorpe with a daffodil lined exit to the village.

Again through Tockwith to Long Marston but then I continued in a south easterly direction to the third digit A to Z of Askham Richard, xxj having been skipped.

Shortly afterward came Bilbrough

Through Catterton and a narrow lane to the A64 where I joined a cycle track alongside the road. That was well surfaced until the A64 veered away and it changed into a plainly a long time since maintained pavement and a closed off road alongside of worse condition, probably nothing done since it was the A64. Then got completely confused by a maze of no entry and York A64 signs without any obviously signed route to Tadcaster. Opted to continue along a pretty good stretch of pavement only to find it narrowing to a few inches in width with a drop to one side. Shanks’s Pony put into use.
Headed north west to Wighill to reacquire the route of the previous ride west to Wetherby and then north east through Kirk Deighton; the cross wind pass Thorp Arch was noticeable due to the open boundary on the north side of the road but nevertheless a number of surprising PRs between Wighill and Wetherby.
Variation came at North Deighton as I headed west to Spofforth and up Haggs Road; surprisingly the initial steeper section was windless and I could have done without the gillet. A zig zag on and off the A658 and I paused after turning onto Rudding Lane to remove the gillet. I regretted that on the subsequent decent :cold:but soon warmed up with the subsequent climb and the upward drag of the A661. After turning off that the leveller and slight downgrades saw a further pause to put the gillet back on and ended via yesterdays route via the A59.
48.6 miles with 1,824ft climbed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom