Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Todays ride was totally deja vu for the first two thirds of my ride . As per my route of Wednesday last for the first two thirds .Even had my lunch on the same wall .
Some pictures of interest along the way .
At the the top of Marston bank a fine veiw of the Weaver hills is to be enjoyed .

View attachment 582304

The Weavers are right at southern end of the Pennines . In a month or so I hope make my first foray of the year over them .
I was able to get some pictures of NT Norbury Hall and Manor house as I past today
View attachment 582306

View attachment 582307

Norbury Hall is a NT holiday let which takes a group of 10 in normal times . Plently of info on the NT webb site .
Another point of interest on my ride is the Ashbourne Shrove tide goal at Clifton . View attachment 582316

View attachment 582317
The goal . For anyone interest in this annual English past time here is a link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Shrovetide_Football .

i continued through Ashbourne & to the hole in the wall at Moor end .

View attachment 582319

Finally returning to Derby via Bradey, Mercaston, & Kedleston . Again time well spent a wheel under clear blue skies .
I hope you have all enjoyed your day what ever you have being doing .
You know what, I'm not a big fan of 'classsic' bikes, but your Mercian is worth making an exception for :okay:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Didn’t have time to go very far today which was a shame as it was a lovely day and the forecast for the next few days is cold and windy. Started off to Loppington towards Burlton turning off to Colemere, Newton Mere onto the Ellesmere road to Welshampton, take the lane by the church to Lyneal, Northwood and home. Lots of horse riders about and not much traffic, it was 9.5 miles before I even saw a car! 16.2 miles which was enough to keep up my 100 miles a week average.

C R

Guru
Today's target was the southern flank of the Malverns, which seems to have been a popular destination today, as @Donger was aiming that way too.

Back on full winter gear, as the thermometer was showing -3°C outside, and to think just on Thursday I was riding on full summer gear!

Out at 6:30 crossing the river at Lower Wick and then heading out to Powick. There was a bit of fog around the river, but the sun was out and by the time I got to Callow End the fog had cleared out, leaving a beautiful clear day, but man, it was cold.

There was quite a frost on the fields, but the roads were clear, and I was making good progress. The views towards the hills on the way to Hanley Swan were amazing with the low rising sun light, but my phone would for some reason not take photos.

I stopped for a bit of a drink by Welland's church, and followed on towards Pendock through the Common, dodging a few sheep and a couple of cows here and there.

At Pendock was time to turn east, parallel to the M50, to the A438. I had planned to ride back via Tewkesbury and Pershore, but I was feeling the miles now, so turned for Longdon to go back via Upton and Croome.

A bit over 42 very enjoyable miles, but riding in winter kit again is a bit of a pain.

The map
Screenshot_20210404-215411~2.png

a.twiddler

Veteran
4/4/21 Easter Sunday .
Sunny but with a cold wind. Expected to be colder for the next few days, so I thought I ought to get out there today. I was going to try to cover the full distance that I'd set out to do the last time out. However, the wind was a lot sronger than I expected. The bike had been checked over, as there had been some creaking last time. Now all tightened up, it was commendably quiet. The old Linear has a bit of a reputation for being a squeaker and a creaker but mine has been a pretty quiet example. I think the previous owner's attention to keeping the folding joints greased and properly tightened has helped, and I've kept that up.

Before launch I had to get through some irritating jobs around the place but now no more ado, out the back gate, hop on and pedal away (before Mrs T. thought of something else) towards Wettenhall. To start with it was downhill and there didn't seem to be any wind so I soon got the average showing 15mph on the bike computer. I continued through the dip at Wettenhall Bridge and up the climb out after it without it dropping too much. I had great expectations, after my last run, of the free running abilities of the bulbous Big Apple on the front.

All went well until I reached the turn right for the road to Oulton Park. Suddenly the wind that the hedge had been protecting me from came at me as I turned into it. A veritable wall of wind sucked the strength from my legs like Recumbentists' Kryptonite leaving me twiddling up an invisible hill. The worst of this lane is that it didn't twist and turn but zigged and zagged in straight lines so that you were riding at the same angle to the wind for long stretches before the next change of direction. The road speed varied between 8-10mph while the average speed trickled away before my very eyes. I consoled myself with the thought that a) at least I was on my recumbent and b) there was probably at least one other poor sod going through this further back on an upright.

At one of the zig zags a farmhouse had a St. George's Cross flag on a post which was so tight you could hear the wind whipping it, an oblong sheet of material pointing horizontally back the way I had come. Go baaack, young Twiddler, go baaack before it's too late! Just past the hedge was a sheep that seemed to be saying , baaack! Baaack! I don't normally take advice from sheep, and I didn't this time. I was still rather daunted by the unexpected wind as I twirled glumly on. I thought how good it would be to fly along on the way back though I did wonder how soon it would be before I had to turn for home with the delay caused by the head wind.

I pressed on and soon came to a turning for the lane that passes Oulton Park. There was some relief from the wind for a hundred yards or so between the high hedges but it soon disappeared when they dropped back. The farms along this lane have good hedges but they are set back several feet with a verge that covers the distance between them and the road. I pressed slowly on and eventually came to the lane that follows the ancient red brick wall of the Park. It dips here, and the wind was briefly behind me but once I turned left from this I found myself in a sort of curving leafy wind tunnel which variously helped me and hindered me. I decided to turn downwind at the next crossroads.

It was downhill as well as downwind as I turned right, and I bunged all three gear ranges into high. I wasn't prepared for the catapult effect as I flew up out of the dip and changed down earlier than I needed to, letting a road cyclist whiz past. I was still steaming along when I reached my left turn for the A54 and flew down into another dip and up again, only having to change down near the top. As I reached the A54 a police car screamed past, causing all the traffic to slow right down and giving me a chance to nip across into Clay Lane. This is a narrow downhill lane between high banks which widens as it turns right then left. There was nothing coming so I stuck it in all the high gears then got up as much speed as I could before hitting the climb to the summit at the railway bridge at the top.. Again the wind pushed me along and I could have hung on to the high gears for longer. Another road cyclist got by standing on his pedals and I settled back to spin up to the top. Are they all using the wind to try for personal bests? At the top I turned into the old station car park and found an empty picnic table with plenty of room around and stopped for a snack.

There was plenty of traffic on the old rail trail -cyclists in families or pairs, walkers, dogs, horses, but none on the car park. Nobody came close or spoke to me and on that day, that's the way (uhuh, uhuh,) I liked it.

I put my rubbish away in the bin, got back on to Clay Lane over the bridge to Whitegate, across the crossroads and downhill to the church, to see what speed I might get up. I used to call this "the test hill of doom" but since then I have got decent brakes and many of the things that used to worry me as a new recumbentist have become less of a thing. Disappointingly 32mph was all I managed despite the wind. though it was rather blustery from the side further down, which didn't help.

I turned round opposite the church, went back downhill and left into Mill Lane. There was wind assistance all along here, though there was also a lot of traffic.

I came out by the rock salt mine, and still kept rolling at a decent speed. Eventually reached the bottom of High St, climbed to the cross roads by the Police Station and crossed over to Ways Green and Gladstone St., uphill and home.

Total mileage 17.19 miles, average speed a disappointing 9.5 mph, max speed 32mph.
Total Ascent:​
501​
ft​
Total Descent:
501​
ft​
Start Elevation:
188​
ft​
End Elevation:
188​
ft​
Min Elevation:
75​
ft​
Max Elevation:
260​
ft​

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As others have already mentioned, Easter Sunday has been pretty good weather-wise and I managed to get two rides in.

Morning: After a little bit of tinkering with the Raleigh first thing (rearranging the furniture on the handlebar) I took it out for a quick blast round the short version of my Acton Burnell loop. The A49 was pretty busy so I had to wait my turn to get out into traffic then I had a decent run to Condover despite what felt like a headwind. After Ryton I had to pause briefly for a traffic jam (1 runner, 5 walkers, two cyclists and a horse & rider all meeting at the same point :laugh:) before continuing to Longnor.

I'd hoped the wind would give a boost to Frodesley and Acton Burnell but I didn't really notice it being much quicker than usual to be honest. The riders going the other way did seem to be having to put in some effort though.

As commented by @gavgav recently, the road repairs in Pitchford are a disappointment. I went over one of the new patches that looked smooth as I approached but gave me a heck of a jolt.:blink: After climbing out of the dip I was facing a headwind again and I knew that the end of the rde would be a lot of work to keep up the pace I'd managed so far - the drop bars got a lot of use in the last few miles. The A49 was quieter on the return leg which I was quite grateful for.

A fraction over 17 miles for this one at 15.8 mph average. Quite a few cyclists out and about but once again I had expected I'd see more, especially with the forecast looking poor for the next few days.

Afternoon: Having had a light lunch and repaired a garden bench (I knocked it over a while ago and the back snapped off :blush:) it seemed silly not to make the most of the lovely weather so I got the Kingpin out for its first ride of the season. For this one I headed up Lyth Hill, along the track to the top, down to Annscroft then worked my way round the base of the hill to Stapleton, Gonsal, Wheathall, Berriewood, Condover and braved the A49 again.

Riding the Kingpin is a different style of cycling - just having the 3 speeds encourages taking the ride as it comes rather than trying to push on, and that's just what I needed after the quick ride in the morning. Lyth Hill was quite popular, but not as busy as I've seen it recently, then I had the lane to Annscroft mostly to myself (just a couple of walkers and a car). Getting through Annscroft itself was a bit of an effort due to the wind but turning off at the next crossroads I had it mostly helping along the almost empty road to Stapleton. The A49 was clear for me to cross and there was nobody on the road until reaching Berriewood. The descent from here to Condover would be really fun if only the road was a bit smoother.

My original plan was to return via Little Lyth but seeing that there were fewer people out and about I thought I'd tackle the headwind and the main road. Taking it easy, the brisk wind was managable. A couple of other riders overtook and disappeared into the distance without breaking a sweat but I was content to just trundle.^_^

14.6 miles at 12.7 mph average according to Strava which is quicker than I expected. These small wheel bikes do get along well without making a fuss about it.^_^

Some snaps from the second ride:

At the top of Lyth Hill.

Near Annscroft, it's a bit breezy. I'm glad it's behind me for a few miles.

On the road to Wheathall on a gorgeous spring day that is just pleasant enough to be out in shorts. While writing this less than 24 hours later it's bitterly cold and snowing.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Typically this bit of North Yorkshire had a disagreement with the weather forecast; Sunday was sunny but the wind was gusting whereas today the wind by mid afternoon was no longer blustering, and eight degrees with the sun out. A short ride out therefore late afternoon today with a few instances of spinning into the head wind. For a change through the Country Park and the eastern bit of Penny Pot so as to ride NW down Burley Bank, across the A59 and down Rowden Lane for a pretty local third digit A-Z of Hampsthwaite

Then up Hollins Lane matching my PR for the third time, before heading via Humps and a Hill and using a Wahoo promoted route in the town centre rather than the signed cycle route - turned out to be a Strava segment; number of Stravaites on it this year - 1, me :excl: Along the vehicle blocked Beech Grove and once again back to 1972 but also one very happy dog having found itself a giant stick

Carried on replicating that route from a couple of weeks back to reach Pannal

NW away up Spring Lane to pick up the route when I took the wrong turning seeking a crossing of the Stray; no problems today but the wind across that open section was strong. Opted to use the A59 again westbound; this time onto the adjacent cycle path. 18.5 miles 1444ft climbed.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Easter Monday and another ride was called for. The knockabout bike was most convenient to get out at short notice so I grabbed that and aimed to do the Leebotwood, Pulverbatch, Longden route that I've been avoiding since getting "tutted" at early in the latest lockdown.

Getting the bike out the air didn't feel too cold at home and I wondered whether two fleeces might actually be too warm. Hedging my bets though, a third one was in my rack bag just in case. After a bit of a wait to get out onto the A49 again (it's become as busy as before Covid) I set off with a cracking tailwind and made good progress on familiar roads to Condover, Ryton and Longnor. It was nice to take a right at the crossroads just after Longnor for the first time in ages and I had company in the form of several other cyclists on this section.

At the next junction I took a right again to ride the A49 through Leebotwood (hardly any traffic here) then turned off heading for Walkmills and Smethcott. The change of direction showed me how strong the wind was and as I climbed the wind was chilling me rather than getting warm with the effort. While stopped to put my third fleece on a couple out walking appeared at the gateway I was beside and we chatted a bit.

Pressing on up the hill it was fine for a while but at the top I was more exposed to the wind and it started getting quite cold. Reaching Wilderley I decided to cut things short and took Wilderley Lane towards Stapleton. This is a nice bit of descending, apart from suddenly meeting the milk tanker that filled the lane from hedge to hedge.:ohmy:

By Stapleton I was really getting very cold and the climbing on the way to Exford's Green did nothing to help that. I took another short cut along Green lane which is a bit rough to ride easily but has high hedges which did at least offer some respite for a short while.

Having crossed Lyth Hill (I didn't even think about stopping for a photo of the view today) it was straight home for a cocoa to try and warm up.

20.9 miles at 11.8 mph average. I really underestimated how cold it was today. Thermal leggings and three fleeces weren't enough. It's not very often that I regret having gone out on the bike but this was one of those occasions.:sad:

At Smethcott. This pool tends to come as a surprise as it's near the top of a long climb.

View to the Wrekin from the crossing of the Picklescott road.

AndreaJ

Veteran
It still looked like spring today with bright sunshine but it was very cold and windy so back with the winter jacket. Started off making very slow progress into the wind to Whixall turning to Fenns Wood, Fenns Bank before finally getting out of the wind to Blackloe and Alkington. Back into the wind to Tilstock meeting a huge tractor towing some equally huge machinery on a very narrow lane managed to squeeze onto a strip of grass and hoped he really did know how wide it all was, he crawled past with a bit of room to spare. Turned back towards Whixall, Hollinswood, Coton, Edstaston, Creamore, into Wem and along the High Street before turning to Tilley, Loppington and home. 27 miles, looked like a lovely spring day with the hedges slowly turning green and lots of wildflowers in the grass verges but definitely cold.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
80865AE2-BF10-49BA-8184-9B71C36C8B3F.jpeg

Ea
702C295F-79E3-4AFB-AF7E-200C4E7DDE52.jpeg

ster holidays and the young one is at a football day camp so the husband and I had a day together! Ran some errands in Chippenham, parked up and went for a jaunt along the surrounding lanes!

Bit of off-road but we had to turn back due to lack of time before the main off-road bits I’d planned! Visited the village of Biddestone...wow that’s pretty! Saw several really nice country pubs all closed...gutted! I love a pub garden on a bike ride!

Bitterly cold! Rode in my puffy jacket and was not too hot! Am so ready for summer!

bagpuss

Guru
After looking at the forecast I decided south east was the best option although this would mean a head wind on the way home . Now unless I am travelling further a field, I rarely go this direction because it is dissected by the M1 and various other major trunk roads .There are however a good number of resonable marked cycle routes .
So I left Derby via the Derwent cycle path and through Elvaston Castle park . Back lanes to Shardlow which sits on the banks of the river Trent .
Shardlow was an inland port during the 18th century and still boasts a number of very old warehouses . Over the river into NW Leicestershire .
Short stretch of the A6 and onto the old road {Now closed to motor traffic} to Castle Donnigton . Up hill into Castle D and then down to Hemmigton
Some of the buildings in this village date back to 15th & 17th c . It has about 10 thatched houses yet is within a mile of the M!

Here I went bridleway riding for a 3 mile loop to Lockington . To Kegworth via proper cycle paths under the MI .
Short lunch stop here under still clear skies .
From Kegworth to Hathern,Long Watton & Diseworth here the sky darkened and snow flurries began . Time to turn for home! Past EM Airport and Donnington park . Onto the old railway line at Kings Newton .

Finally back into Derby via the old canal route and a good shower of snow .

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Bright and breezy would be a generous description of today here. Effing freezing more accurate. But still, a surprisingly pleasant 12 mile saunter here today out on the fen.

One of my favourite routes near Burwell Fen. I sat in the sun nearby before a few flurries started.

After a few more miles I hunkered down in another sheltered spot. Sunny one minute, snow the next.

The bike got a dusting.

From the bridge. One advantage of the big sky fens is you can see the weather coming from a long way off. So had plenty of time to find the next shelter before another pelting

Then it really came down - a nice covering by the end of it. I’ve seen a few swallows so far this spring and I really feel for them in this weather.
If any of our local cuckoos happen to be reading this, we’ve missed you greatly, but please don’t rush back just yet.

Last edited:

ianbarton

Veteran
Two very windy rides. On Monday I did a circular route through Whitchurch. The outward leg was a struggle against the wind into Whitchurch. I got my reward on the homeward run with the wind behind most of the way. I added an extra 5km at the start because I forgot my rucksack so had to go back home to collect it!

On Tuesday I had to cycle into Nantwich to go to the Warfarin clinic to make sure my rat poison levels were OK. It's slightly downhill most of the way and I can get there in about 40 minutes. Yesterday it took me almost an hour cycling into the gale! The homeward section was better, but the wind was at an angle, so not as helpful as it could have been. When I got to Wrenbury the lights at the level crossing were flashing, so I had a rest in the shelter on the platform and ate my lunch and watched a couple of trains go past before cycling the last five miles to home.

Nantwich town centre.
vlcsnap-2021-04-07-14h07m23s708.png

Level crossing at Wrenbury.
vlcsnap-2021-04-07-14h04m15s320.png

Here comes the train.
vlcsnap-2021-04-07-14h04m56s377.png

A very cold and therefore short ride. Only target: double figures. So basically, to the bottom of the Leg O'Mutton ramp and back.

Despite the usual once-over, the headset felt increasingly loose, so at my usual 3.5 mile stop in the mouth of Grenofen tunnel, I checked it out. Wasn't the headset. QR was undone. Not loose, undone. :eek: Just as well I noticed it when I did. A couple of cattle grids later and there could have been a wizard prang, what?

Bloomin' cold!

Did I mention it was cold? Despite the dry forecast, there was rain, sleet AND snow, all within the first half-hour! Not a lot, but hey...

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Met a friend for coffee in Fairford, right at the south end of the Cotswolds and then took myself out for a spin! Heck it was cold!

North to the Barringtons and Rissingtons and across for a hot pasty in Bourton! I was so cold!

Then 10 or so roller coaster miles with gradients up to 14% before landing in the almost unbelievably beautiful village of Bibury! My word, what a fairytale! Must go back when it’s warmer!

Grateful to get back to Fairford for warm layers, hot chocolate and cake! I did 33 miles in all...in retrospect 20 would have been plenty in the bitter cold!

Last edited:
Top Bottom