Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A lovely 48km wander round the dales.

IMG_20210424_112831.jpg
IMG_20210424_112415.jpg
IMG_20210424_153423.jpg
IMG_20210424_113540.jpg
IMG_20210424_111231.jpg

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Another sunny spring day, and an epic on the tandem to make the most of it - our longest ever ride.

Up into the Peak through Macclesfield and Sutton, then down to Allgreave and up the seemingly endless climb to England's highest village at Flash.

Two big climbs in the bag, so coffee and cake was an essential requirement, perfectly executed at the Flash Bar cafe, albeit a little chilly in the wind.

Cracking descent to Longnor then the killer climb out of Crowdecote up the hairpins. Signposted at 20%, although surely no more than half that in reality. Onwards past Parsley Hay then lunch at the "Derbyshire Stone Henge", Arbour Low.

Arbour Low is a magical place with an amazing 360 degree view to distant horizons. The stones are long fallen, but the earthwork still impresses and we were serenaded by larks the whole time. Photos do not do it justice

Now we approach Youlgreave, but our objective is Bradford Dale just below, and specifically the swimming pool built into the river. "Idyllic" doesn't do this place justice, and it would have been rude not to take a (very short!) dip in the crystal water.

Even more severe hairpins at Conksbury en route to Bakewell fail to conk us out, then we take it easy up the whole of the Monsal trail to Buxton.

Finally, we drag our weary carcasses across the Cat and Fiddle. Never was a 7 mile downhill more welcome! - thence home.

71 miles, 5700ft climbing, one cake and one ice cream.

gavgav

Guru
My Brother has bought himself a new bike, but he’s not really cycled much since I dragged him out for a few rides about 10 years ago, so @Rickshaw Phil and I cycled over to his place, today, to put the bike together and head out for a short test ride.

Phil and I set off at 10am, into the lovely sunshine, but a stiff easterly wind was blowing and that made it quite cool to start off with, as we were heading into it for a good proportion of the the ride over.

We headed out to Betton Abbots, Berrington, Cross Houses and Atcham, where we joined the main road to Attingham and then turned off towards Wroxeter, being pleasantly surprised to see they have finally (after about 3 years of emails to the council) completely resurfaced one of the worst “B” roads you will ever have seen. It got to the point that you had to drive on the wrong side of the road, to avoid the craters and channels, never mind how bad it was for cycling.

We paused at Wroxeter for some photos

We took the loop around the NCN route, which I’ve not been down in probably 18 months, before climbing up and along to Eaton Constantine, then down to Garmston, on some new territory for me. We got overtaken at speed by a chap on a very nice aero bike, climbing up at Eaton and then again when descending to Leighton.

We joined the main road again there and it’s a pull out of the village. Good to see the pub being renovated, ready to re-open under the ownership of a village syndicate. There is a nice descent down to Buildwas, with good views over the river Severn, where we came across signs saying The Wharfage, in Ironbridge, was closed to traffic, but we headed that way anyway, hoping we could at least walk the bike through.

It was a very different landscape, heading to Ironbridge, with the bulk of the power station having been blown up and we arrived at The Wharfage to find signs saying cyclists dismount and use the foot way. Said path was busy with people enjoying the sun and so we walked the bikes along the traffic free road. I’m not really sure why there is a need to do so, with just a few obstacles where they are surveying to decide if they can install permanent flood barriers and plenty of room.

We paused to take a photo of the bridge and a lady cheerily remarked at Phil taking a picture of his bike, rather than the bridge. He was actually taking a picture of both :laugh:

We walked the bikes over the bridge and then joined the road towards Jackfield, where some proper climbing would start. We had to wait at the hairpin bend, for a Warburton’s lorry to make an absolute pigs ear of negotiating it. He was up on the kerb, had to stop and reverse and have another go at it, which wasn’t much better, when, if he’d taken a wider route, he would have got round in one:wacko:

We climbed up to Broseley and decided to go up Dark Lane, which is properly steep with a gradient arrow. Just as we turned up there, 2 chaps on bikes jokingly shouted “you don’t want to go up there” ^_^ It is a proper pull and then a descent down to my Brothers house.

Dad joined us and we had lunch in the garden, before putting the new Holdsworth bike together. It’s very smart and pretty light with the carbon material. We then set out for a test ride, heading down to Coalport, which was into the wind, but a steep descent made a little tricky by recent surface dressing, meaning loose chippings. I crossed Coalport bridge, a little ahead of Ade and Phil, so paused to take a shot of them crossing the bridge

We had a short section on the off road Silkin Way path, before rejoining the very busy road along Coalport High St, back towards the bottom end of Ironbridge. We then climbed back up to Broseley, the second time Phil and I had climbed up there today, but didn’t do Dark Lane again. This meant we had to negotiate the traffic lights on the steep climb and none of us could get through in time, before the lights changed at the other end. We arrived back at Ade’s and he seemed to have enjoyed the 6 mile loop, getting used to the bike, so hopefully he will get lots of use out of it and join us on more rides.

Phil and I then set out back home, via a different route. We firstly took the steep climb up to Benthall, then joining the normally quiet lane through Wyke, to Farley, but we met quite a few cars today. Upon reaching Farley there appeared to be a dog show on and so I’m guessing the traffic was from there.

We were then out onto the main road to Much Wenlock, which is yet another steep pull, before we joined more new territory for me, to the brilliantly named Homer and WigWig! It’s a steep descent, most of the way down, but then a climb back up towards Harley, where we crossed the A458 and headed for Harnage Grange, then Cound, pausing for a view to the Wrekin.

From Cound it was hard going up the climbs to Eaton Mascott and Berrington, on tired legs, before retracing our initial steps through Betton and back to mine.

A thoroughly enjoyable day in the sunshine, which warmed up nicely in the afternoon, with 41.82 miles (my first 40 miler of the year) and 2966ft of climbing, meaning a slow 10.5mph avg speed

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another outing in the countryside - this time starting from Halesworth and out along mostly single track roads down to the coast at Dunwich through the forest
Dunwich Forest.jpg
and then turning immediately back inland through Westleton and Yoxford, past Sibton Park and then Heveningham Hall and the lakes
Heveningham Hall & lakes.jpg
Ending back at Halesworth after a very nice 50k , finally in the warm (mostly) away from the cold north or north easterly breeze that's been plaguing the Suffolk coast for what seems to have been most of April.
1619298320572.png
1619298347209.png

Tribansman

Veteran
Just a very easy 13 mile post tea spin tonight in the dying light. Roads very quiet so was a lovely relaxed ride. Tempted by a beer garden but was a chilly breeze and would prob have been cold in my shorts and short sleeve Jersey...so opted for a beer in the garden when I got home and had put a couple of layers on.

Was another lovely sunset sky...

20210424_211010.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
A couple of weeks back an Achilles tendon started playing up after a walk and cycling had seemed to ease it until I hit a speed bump a touch too quick last Sunday. Icepacks and ibuprofen gel had calmed it down to consider today (Saturday) what the recommended light training could be; a longer than normal outing for the Dutch roadster ebike seemed to be the answer with it always on a least minimum assist. Camera mount added along with a saddle bag and the Wahoo deleted of all sensors to stop the really odd readings it shows on the ebike.

Early afternoon and onto Penny Pot via the Country Park, the wind was strong enough today to keep all eight wind turbines at Knabbs Ridge entertained, and then north eventually across the A59 once queuing traffic cleared and north west via Menwith and Greenhow Hill Roads

Sort of east on Braithwaite Lane

And north east down and more steeply up on what Strava has as “Friggin’ Foldshaw” and Nought Moor Road as two overlapping segments, the latter a category 4 climb; the road climbing up to pass immediately to the right of the trees

At the top of the climb turned south west to reach the sole access road to the 3rd letter AZ of Heyshaw with the only place name being on the road sign at the junction

A direct route back, gaining an ebike KOM, to the now steeper decent through Foldshaw then through Padside on twisty single track roads; progress was made simpler by allowing following vehicles pass then knowing at least for a short distance nothing was coming the other way. The lower parts were chilly and Dacre Pasture Lane after a decent of up to 14% did climb to higher land and the sun returned as I headed towards Dacre.

Down to Darley where now lower levels were sunny and along the valley road through Birstwith, the 13.9% climb up to Clapham Green and another decent into the valley at Hampsthwaite. Up Rowden Lane and via Burley Bank to Penny Pot and the country park. 29.06 miles 2515ft elevation gain, 71% of the battery used.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Another lovely day so headed up to Ribblehead. Took the amazing road that skirts Twistelton Scar. I say amazing as it has great views across Ingleborough, as well as being the smoothest single track tarmac road I know! The only downside is the climb out of Ingleton which has sections over 20%. Fortunately, there is a well placed bench at the top. Ribblehead was busy with cars and motorbike, so continued down Ribblesdale, then across to Austwick. Had second lunch in Keasden Church yard. A lovely 60 miles with 1100m of climbing.

here’s the view from the scar road looking toward Chapel le Dale.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Out on the tandem with Mrs A_T. Just over 23 miles in the Spring sunshine out to Matfen for bacon butties, tea and coffee cake... 1900ft of up + 1300 calories burned [apparentl;y!]. Frst time averaging just over 16.2mph meant the e-assist rarely kicked in with a steady following wind up and a blustery downhill home!

Met a fellow Tandem Club couple who I thought I'd recognised [he was keen to get an e-assist but his wife didn't see the point... his look spoke volumes!] then bumped into Mrs A_T's brother's sister-in-law's husband and daughter out on a ride from Hexham [if you can follow the connecting link!]

Last edited:

bagpuss

Guru
One of my usual routes out of Derby via Radbourne Hollow and onto Sutton . Here I was passed by a group of riders and I could not resist tagging onto the back of them . Now this is not something I tend to do very often now but for a couple of miles it was fun . They turned off and I had the road to myself once more .
On crossing the river Dove at Tutbury , indecision as to which way I was going !? West or South . The beauty of this is your never know where are are going to end up . So I engaged the Wayfarer a wheel mode , letting the road decide . Through the villages of Anslow ,Tatenhill ,over the Trent at Walton . Down passed Catton hall . Back over the Trent and across the wash lands to Fradley . The village of Fradley has been swallowed by the development of the old WW2 RAF airfield but the old centre has its charm .

Stopping at Fradley Junction for a sandwich & tea . Passing the time of day with a fellow cyclist .

Shame about the banner !Fradley junction is the point at which the Conventry and the Trent Mersay canals meet .During its heyday it was a busy place . Through the villages of Yoxall , Hadley End and Hoar Cross .

The Magnolia tree in the Church yard was lovely sight . On into Newborough a village which is always pleasing to the eye . Up hill out of village and to six lanes end . No indecision here! Across the back of Marchington woodland . Here Blue bells and wood anemones vied for space under the trees . Into Hanbury .The view from this section of my ride did not disappoint . They are far reaching across the Dove valley to the Edges of the Staffordshire Moorlands including the Weaver Hills ,

Finally back to Tutbury 585732 and the remains of its castle . Auto pilot for the last part of the ride, my bike knows the way .
Just as I made the outskirts of Derby the last view of the day .

One more moment of indecision here !! left or right .......
1619372549308.png

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Back out on the ebike this afternoon and the reverse of yesterdays route to Hampsthwaite then up the eastern Clint Bank. Had intended to carry on to the B6165 but the wind was pretty chilly and the descent through Bedlam was not attractive so followed the Nidderdale Greenway (NCN67) east to Ripley. A couple of mountain bikers heading west kindly wedged the gate open that sits at the entry to the Ripley Castle Estate. A slow exit from Ripley and along the A61 following a family of four who then turned right into Nidd Lane. Quick change of route and I carried along the A61 to the next right turning. Pass Brearton Lane end and via a brief swarmish with more eastern part of the B6165 into Scotton where during the week a Banksy style mural had appeared on a wall of the Guy Fawkes pub.

Away from Scotton the bike had a strange occasional jerk; it was only on the climb away from Lingerfield I realised the flip stand was still down:banghead:
Knaresborough was busy and slow at times and on the climb from High Bridge I managed an ebike PR; not difficult as it is possibly the only time I’ve been up it on an ebike without a heavy rucksack on. The bridleway section of Bilton Lane initially was busy with vehicles exiting a field. 19.08 miles, 1287ft elevation gain.

Last edited:

Cavalol

Guru
Still fat, still unfit but a very enjoyable 44 miler to West Kirby and back.

1619374182308.png

Had the (mild) wind behind us going, so were doing very nicely and it felt like it was no effort at all. Pit stop in Parkgate on the way...

1619374522542.png

The Trek is one of my old bikes that I sold to my mate at work, the Cube has just come back from having a complete new chain set thing and rode beautifully. Next stop was our destination and a break looking over the boating lake...

1619374569703.png

1619374588619.png

1619374352076.png

On the way back (against a slightly stronger wind) we stopped off by the old marshes/RAF shooting range, looking across to Flint...

1619374688329.png

Really enjoyed that, though was struggling on the return leg. The good thing about going out with someone else (as opposed to solo) is that you push yourself to go further and a bit faster. Had I been on my own I'd have probably only done the 18-ish mile trip to Queensferry and back along the river, so it's been a nice blast today.

Attachments

• 1619374218546.png
    1619374218546.png
    526.4 KB · Views: 2

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A great club ride today .... a longer than usual one up into Herefordshire and Worcestershire and up and over the Malverns. I may have been the last one up, but I managed the climb to Hollybush and the brutal climb up to British Camp in one go, so I proved there was still life in the old dog. When we dropped down from the summit, we took a road that @twentysix by twentyfive has often mentioned, down Old Wyche Road. He has never mentioned that it is like standing on the launch ramp of a 90 metre ski jump! Two of us got off and walked down the top bit. I rather liked the idea of being able to stop. Once I remounted, it was a great, enjoyable zig-zag of a descent.
Near Hollybush:

On Castlemorton Common:

At British Camp:

At one point during the descent, I actually had to pick a fly out of my teeth. Then later on I took a smack from a beetle between the eyebrows! Came home with a real sun tan from this ride and Friday's pub crawl ride. Great company as always. 69.2 miles done.
Cheers.:hello:

AndreaJ

Veteran
A bit of a cool breeze today so not quite as warm as it had been. Started off to Northwood and onto Whixall as far as Hollinswood crossroads where I turn to Fenns Wood, Fenns Bank and across to Alkington. Took the first lane to Tilstock and the next one back to Whixall, Coton, along the permanently flooded lane to Coton Wood and onto the Whitchurch road at Steele Heath, past the old windmill into Prees then back onto the Whitchurch road at Edstaston, back onto the lanes to Waterloo, Northwood, Foxholes. Paddolgreen, Ryebank, Horton then home past The Moatshed which doesn’t seem to be reopening yet. Fairly quiet morning with not many people about. 29 miles.
7075EA42-52A0-410C-84CE-43AFD943B7CA.jpeg

Top Bottom