Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Wednesday: As Gav has already reported, my brother and I joined him for a nice evening ride in warmer weather than we'd normally expect for the time of year. Gav hadn't expected me to be there as I had been intending to do a challenge ride in the morning, but aches and tiredness from doing some heavy gardening work the previous day meant I didn't fancy that.

Gav has covered the salient points so I'll just add that heading back after parting from him, Doug saw another cyclist ahead and decided to give chase. We kept pace fairly well and he only lost us when the road ramped up steeply. Doug is quite a strong rider really.... if only we can get him out more often.

20.1 miles by the time we got back at 11.1 mph average. No photos from this one as the first half wasn't photogenic and after that it was a bit too dark.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday: An attempt at the Lunacy Challenge ride on Friday was a non-starter (probably just as well as it looked like there were some bad traffic problems for much of the day in the area I'd intended to head for) so I made sure of getting out on Saturday since the current spell of settled weather doesn't look like lasting much longer.

The wind had swung round to a southerly so I thought that heading to Cardington to start with then turning north through Cressage, Walcot, Hadnall, Harmer Hill then across to Baschurch and back through Montford Bridge would make the best use of it. I was on the road for about 8.30 and into a morning that had a wintery feel to it. A couple of fleeces were wanted at the start but from the forecast I was expecting to be able to dispense with those later on.

The roads were nicely quiet at the start which is always good. I took the longer way through Cantlop and Acton Burnell on my way to Longnor. Progress wasn't anything special as I tend to find I'm slower when it's colder.

Not long after starting the climb to Folly Bank there was the sad sight of a fox dead at the side of the road. The climb itself went pretty well and I was pleased to see the Graham Bufton memorial bench has been returned, looking shiny after its refurbishment. Pausing for a drink here I'd warmed up enough to take off one of my fleeces.

The run of nice quiet roads continued through Cardington, Longville, past Church Preen school (the school is almost a mile from the village it serves) then straight on up the hill before turning right and left past Kenley Common and Lower Springs as an alternative to my usual way via Hughley. As usual I doubled back before Harley and took my first snack stop in a gateway on the road to Cressage. On restarting I didn't take the direct way to Cressage but detoured through Harnage Grange and along Shore Lane to add a bit of mileage so as to be sure of getting the distance I wanted.

The main road through Cressage was a bit busy and although the road to Eaton Constantine wasn't too bad there did seem to be a few overtakers who could have given a bit more room. It got quieter on the way to Uppington though. Quite a lot of people were using the old A5 - at one point I thought I could have got out into a gap that appeared but something made me hold back and I was quite glad it had when the car that would have come up behind me went past doing about 80. Turning onto Bluebell Lane I was feeling quite good about the ride so far when my chain unshipped while trying to change up and did it in such a way that I had no choice but to feed it back on by hand.:angry:

By Walcot I'd got over that annoyance and was enjoying the riding again. I took another detour through Withington to add distance and was sad to see that the cast iron sign on the approach to the village was missing from its post. Hope it hasn't been nicked.

The route becomes flatter as I head through Rodington Heath, Roden, Poynton Green and round to Bing's Heath, meaning I was able to maintain a nice steady cruising speed for much of that, then it was on towards Astley followed by Hadnall where I was starting to feel a bit warm. I unzipped the legs of my trousers and took off the second fleece but that latter was slightly premature and I only got about 100 yards before putting the thinner of the two back on.

At Harmer Hill I had thought about taking the road to Merrington for a change but wasn't sure if that would be good for the distance I wanted so ended up going through Myddle, Fenemere and Baschurch like I have the last few times. A last snack stop was taken in a gateway at Little Ness and a passing cyclist stopped to chat and compliment me on my bike - something I think any of us enjoy.^_^

Those last few bites of flapjack gave plenty of energy for riding into the wind (fairly light in honesty) and over the annoying climb between Montford Bridge and Bicton. I thought I'd take the meandering route through housing estates old, new and yet to be built on the southwestern outskirts of Shrewsbury then through Meole Brace to head home.

65.5 miles at 13.7 mph average. Nice to see plenty of other cyclists around this time and I'm pleased to report no issues with cramp on this one.

The Lawley and Caer Caradoc from near Longnor.

At Folly Bank. Nice to see the bench back.

A couple of shots from Cardington.

The Wrekin viewed from Shore Lane.

At Astley.

At Harmer Hill.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
A tough ride today for reasons I don't understand I just ran out of energy . A metric century ride for the monthly challenge and to grab some veloviewer squares . Out the door at 8.45 into the gloom expecting to get wet so rain jacket on straight away . Anstey ,Rothley ,Barrow ,Stanford on Soar were it starts to rain I decide to press on to Kegworth and decide whether to carry on . In Kegworth I decide to carry on despite the weather. Take Long Lane to Sawley and on to Borrowash through Ockbrook home of @lane I believe . Up Cat and fiddle lane turn right up a deadend to grab a square .Stanley to Morley for another deadend square grab . Onto Breadsall then I Navigated through Derby city centre at least it's stopped raining. By now I was really feeling the ride and the average speed plummeted going through Derby . Heading to Shardlow on the flat I tried to pick up the pace but the legs said no way so just spun a low gear back to Long Lane to retrace my route home . Just one climb left out of Normanton on Soar managed to grovel up it and get home .73 miles at a slow to me 13.8 mph .I just have no idea why I found it so tough . 5hrs 20mins half in the rain I had just about dried out when I got home . It's taken me 5 hrs to recover from the effort but at least another challenge ride got ticked off

footloose crow

Über Member
17 Oct. Mad March audax in October....thats Covid.

I am trying to work out how pelotons of audaxers come spinning past me but I still get to the controls ahead of them? They actually come past so fast I have to look to see if they are on e -bikes. (They aren't) . I watch them disappear around the next bend .....and then see them again arriving at the next audax control just as I am leaving it. Somehow, I have got ahead, again.

Funny old game audax. I thought navigation was part of it but it seems that each peloton only has one GPS between them and it keeps malfunctioning. "We took the wrong turn" they say, and "Isn't the GPS signal bad here! ".

Ah, but what about the route sheets of directions you ask... yes well so did I but I didn't get much of an explanation. So by half way around today's audax event I am in the first five riders, even though everyone behind me is actually faster than me. They seem to be doing some kind of variant route. Or there is a tear in the space/time continuum which allows me to be behind and then ahead. Does this happen to anyone else?

I am faster at getting through controls than most people but then I am not waiting for anyone and have no reason to hang around and chat. My line in small talk is poor and getting worse the deeper I submerge into a rural retirement. I have some 'openers' I can use, like weather. Generally everyone agrees that it is 'nicer day than expected but you can't expect it to last'. Hard to take that one further. Then my second opener, 'So have you bought a Christmas tree yet?'. St which point people always see someone they must chat to who is ahead. Or behind. Or somewhere else.

Sometimes I tag along with a group for a while but I find it very stressful. I like to look at the scenery and daydream a bit, but in a group you have to keep your eyes on everyone else and remember to do signals and shout things about cars. It is less physical effort to cycle in a group but I don't enjoy it. I don't enjoy getting spat out of the back either when I can't keep up although I am beginning to anticipate that I will still be at the next control before them, as the solitary Garmin they are sharing takes them somewhere else. I understand....its 'group think'. Easier to follow the person in front than check out if its the right route.

Here come the next peloton ready to eat me. (Good over the shoulder photo this).

And there they go...but don't worry there is a tear in the fabric of the universe just ahead.

This is a lovely ride though. Rolling up and down fairly gently with long level patches and just two hills that require bottom gear and then not for long. The lanes are empty of cars, although there are plenty of bikes going in all directions including the correct way. The hedges are low enough to see over and the Blackdown hills are looking particularly beautiful in the soft autumn light.

.....and soft autumn mud

There is soup and rolls on offer at the last checkpoint but I have got it on my head that it is all downhill from here and only 31km to go, so decide to push off straight away. The sight of all the pelotons arriving at the control spurs me on too. I have a childish wish to finish first in this non-race where there are no prizes and no recognition of place order and it is most definitely NOT a race. Meaningless to even want to finish 'first' then but I can't help myself. I pedal furiously, although at my age 'furiously' is a relative term and imagine the rest of the riders are just behind me, torturing myself with the thought of a huge peloton just around the corner and gaining, reeling me in and this time there are no real navigation challenges, so I will be spat out and left behind and stay left behind. My legs hurt, my breath is too fast, my back hurts where I tense up over the handlebars, I haven't eaten or drunk enough.

And it's not downhill. I got that wrong. It is a long false flat and the wind is in my face. Now my feet hurt too.

Look, no one behind me....yet

Finally the promised downhill arrives and I can go faster. Still no one behind. I know there was no one ahead of me at the last checkpoint so now I am getting childishly excited. I like winning 'non races' where no else knows they are racing. That's the only kind I will 'win'.

Ten kilometres from the finish I hear a cheery 'good afternoon' and two turbo powered riders slide past. I try desperately to hang onto them but I am as as likely to catch up as a walrus to win a gymnastics event.

The end is an anti climax and I wish I had spent more time looking at the scenery than trying to go faster than God intended my body to be able to go. Audax - it is all about being in the moment. And having some sandwiches if you are going to ignore the food at the controls. And having a GPS device that has the right route on it - or a map. Audax explained in three sentences.

But I did have a nice day out.

Screenshot 2021-10-17 at 19.01.48.png

AndreaJ

Veteran
A lack of motivation has hit me as well although I am still commuting by bike a couple of days a week much to the amazement/disbelief of my new work colleagues! , yesterday did look like the best day to get out but autumn/winter Saturdays are dog training days so it had to be today. It was very wet when I got up although the rain soon stopped so mudguards back on and off out before I thought of something better to do.
Set off to Whixall remembering that I wanted to ride down Moss Lane to see where the car park at Worlds End is for future dog walks, it’s a narrow lane to a dead end so if it was the wrong lane it would be much easier to turn round on a bike, found the secret car park so turned back to carry on. Turned off at Hollinswood then over the swing bridge to Alkington and back towards Hollinswood, Coton, Abbeygreen and Edstaston. Took a longer route to Horton then turned to Loppington and Commonwood. The lane was blocked in an agricultural way- baler twine and open gates for some cattle to be moved and I was just in time to get let through before they got to the gate, there was already enough mud on the road so was pleased I got the “cleaner” bit. Headed to Nonely, Myddle and Baschurch then turned off to English Frankton, Pikes End, past the woods to Lyneal and decided to take the lane back to Loppington , Wolverley and home.
It actually turned out to be a lovely sunny morning despite the doom and gloom weather forecast although the maize harvesting is well underway and there is mud everywhere. Didn’t see any other cyclists which is unusual but lots of suicidal squirrels.35.5 miles and an enjoyable morning out.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
17 Oct. Mad March audax in October....thats Covid.

I am trying to work out how pelotons of audaxers come spinning past me but I still get to the controls ahead of them? They actually come past so fast I have to look to see if they are on e -bikes. (They aren't) . I watch them disappear around the next bend .....and then see them again arriving at the next audax control just as I am leaving it. Somehow, I have got ahead, again.

Funny old game audax. I thought navigation was part of it but it seems that each peloton only has one GPS between them and it keeps malfunctioning. "We took the wrong turn" they say, and "Isn't the GPS signal bad here! ".

Ah, but what about the route sheets of directions you ask... yes well so did I but I didn't get much of an explanation. So by half way around today's audax event I am in the first five riders, even though everyone behind me is actually faster than me. They seem to be doing some kind of variant route. Or there is a tear in the space/time continuum which allows me to be behind and then ahead. Does this happen to anyone else?

I am faster at getting through controls than most people but then I am not waiting for anyone and have no reason to hang around and chat. My line in small talk is poor and getting worse the deeper I submerge into a rural retirement. I have some 'openers' I can use, like weather. Generally everyone agrees that it is 'nicer day than expected but you can't expect it to last'. Hard to take that one further. Then my second opener, 'So have you bought a Christmas tree yet?'. St which point people always see someone they must chat to who is ahead. Or behind. Or somewhere else.

Sometimes I tag along with a group for a while but I find it very stressful. I like to look at the scenery and daydream a bit, but in a group you have to keep your eyes on everyone else and remember to do signals and shout things about cars. It is less physical effort to cycle in a group but I don't enjoy it. I don't enjoy getting spat out of the back either when I can't keep up although I am beginning to anticipate that I will still be at the next control before them, as the solitary Garmin they are sharing takes them somewhere else. I understand....its 'group think'. Easier to follow the person in front than check out if its the right route.

View attachment 614073
Here come the next peloton ready to eat me. (Good over the shoulder photo this).

View attachment 614076
And there they go...but don't worry there is a tear in the fabric of the universe just ahead.

This is a lovely ride though. Rolling up and down fairly gently with long level patches and just two hills that require bottom gear and then not for long. The lanes are empty of cars, although there are plenty of bikes going in all directions including the correct way. The hedges are low enough to see over and the Blackdown hills are looking particularly beautiful in the soft autumn light.

View attachment 614077

View attachment 614075

View attachment 614078
.....and soft autumn mud

There is soup and rolls on offer at the last checkpoint but I have got it on my head that it is all downhill from here and only 31km to go, so decide to push off straight away. The sight of all the pelotons arriving at the control spurs me on too. I have a childish wish to finish first in this non-race where there are no prizes and no recognition of place order and it is most definitely NOT a race. Meaningless to even want to finish 'first' then but I can't help myself. I pedal furiously, although at my age 'furiously' is a relative term and imagine the rest of the riders are just behind me, torturing myself with the thought of a huge peloton just around the corner and gaining, reeling me in and this time there are no real navigation challenges, so I will be spat out and left behind and stay left behind. My legs hurt, my breath is too fast, my back hurts where I tense up over the handlebars, I haven't eaten or drunk enough.

And it's not downhill. I got that wrong. It is a long false flat and the wind is in my face. Now my feet hurt too.

View attachment 614074
Look, no one behind me....yet

Finally the promised downhill arrives and I can go faster. Still no one behind. I know there was no one ahead of me at the last checkpoint so now I am getting childishly excited. I like winning 'non races' where no else knows they are racing. That's the only kind I will 'win'.

Ten kilometres from the finish I hear a cheery 'good afternoon' and two turbo powered riders slide past. I try desperately to hang onto them but I am as as likely to catch up as a walrus to win a gymnastics event.

The end is an anti climax and I wish I had spent more time looking at the scenery than trying to go faster than God intended my body to be able to go. Audax - it is all about being in the moment. And having some sandwiches if you are going to ignore the food at the controls. And having a GPS device that has the right route on it - or a map. Audax explained in three sentences.

But I did have a nice day out.

View attachment 614084
Wonderful over the shoulder pic :thumbsup:

bluenotebob

Veteran
22 degrees here this afternoon – unusually warm for mid-October – but with a strong SW wind. When I realised how strong the wind was, I changed my mind about today’s route and decided to do a fairly standard clockwise Loyat loop. The wind blew me towards Gaël but I turned off south at Quihiac and dropped down into Mauron from the north. Down the Voie Verte – lots of cyclists about and I spent more time conker-dodging – to Loyat. I used the forest by the Chateau de Loyat as a windbreak and looped around to Crétudel. Home via St Vily, Kersamson, Guilliers and Evriguet.

54km in exactly 3 hours .. pretty slow against the wind but I was much faster going home.

The hamlet of Kerpiton

Gentle countryside near Crénion

St Vily from the south – looks like rape in the field – which seems odd in October

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'm on the West Jutland coast of Denmark at the moment and it would be rude to not indulge in a ride or two, despite the horrendous weather. Unfortunately, a look at the map reveals the riding here to not be as inspiring as the part of Denmark I visited last year. I plotted a route that I hoped would be a little bit interesting though and set forth into a a grey, dank drizzly day. I started with several kilometres on a lovely gravel track that wound North through the dunes, several hundred metres to the West was the North Sea and a few hundred metres East was Ringkøbing Fjord, though neither were visible from my trail.

After 5km I turned East and headed over to the Fjord and a bridge that spanned its Northern point. The reeds are high here and flank the path, in between fishing boats are pulled up onto the shore and await their owners.

The trail here is a fine gravel track and soon the bridge rears out of the gloom, all around the flat steel grey expanse of Ringkøbing fjord stretches out. A bridge spans across to a small island, which leads on to another bridge and more gravel tracks on the other side.

Before long I'm onto roads that wind through small towns, riding onwards as the heavy drizzle slowly seeps through. A country road leads me down to the next gravel road as the wind buffets and blasts me, all around the windmills are taking full advantage of the conditions. It feels bleak and inhospitable.

The area I'm riding used to be an island until a series of dykes and drains joined it to the mainland around here. I'm heading down to what used to be the major bridge crossing for the farmers that toiled this land. The bridge itself replaces one from the 1800's that itself replaced the ferry crossing further down stream.

From here the gravel roads soon give way to tarmac and the roads are quiet at first, then get progressively busier. There are no cycle tracks and it's a thoroughly unpleasant ride for several kilometres until I return to quieter country roads and occasional pretty scenery.

I'm slowly making my way around Stadil Fjord, though aside from the occasional glimpse, all I see are country roads and farmland. It really isn't that inspiring and with the steel grey skies and drizzle it feels like a slog at times. A small break at a lake next to Lodbjerg Hede see's the end of the roads and from here it's back onto the gravel trails.

The route winds its way back south and I finally reach the end after 46 kilometres. I feel surprisingly tired and whilst sections were interesting, the riding was no where near as inspiring or fun as last years Denmark rides. It was just good to be out though and seeing something new as well as getting some fresh air into my lungs.

Last edited:

ianbarton

Veteran
The route winds its way back south and I finally reach the end after 46 kilometres. I feel surprisingly tired and whilst sections were interesting, the riding was no where near as inspiring or fun as last years Denmark rides. It was just good to be out though and seeing something new as well as getting some fresh air into my lungs.
It would probably look much more inspiring if the sun was shining. Grey skies, mist and drizzle make any landscape uninspiring.

It would probably look much more inspiring if the sun was shining. Grey skies, mist and drizzle make any landscape uninspiring.

I always felt that places like Wales, the Lake District, Peak District et c, look good in the rain or drizzle.

galaxy

Veteran
Went to see my Dad last Friday. Found he’d passed away. Not so sad he’d been suffering for 12 months and he’d had enough. So now he’s at peace and has his wishes and is off to a better place to be with Mum. Been so much to organise it was nice to get out on the bike for a hour or so yesterday afternoon. It rained all morning then became a nice afternoon. Ride round the lanes and into Leominster for a coffee. The Mrs and I. Was so nice to be out.

ianbarton

Veteran
Went to see my Dad last Friday. Found he’d passed away. Not so sad he’d been suffering for 12 months and he’d had enough. So now he’s at peace and has his wishes and is off to a better place to be with Mum. Been so much to organise it was nice to get out on the bike for a hour or so yesterday afternoon. It rained all morning then became a nice afternoon. Ride round the lanes and into Leominster for a coffee. The Mrs and I. Was so nice to be out.
I am sorry to hear about your Dad. In similar situations, I find going for a walk somewhere quiet so you can remember the good times with them helps.

Old jon

Guru
Brrr ! ! And that is just taking the Spa out of the shed. Blue sky, a bit of wind from an unusual direction, and the barometer is rising, a good recipe for a bike ride thinks I.

Thought of an approximate route least evening, and for once decided to ride just that, so into Holbeck and out again on the Leeds and Liverpool canal towpath. And the breeze was in my face. Some amusement though, seeing the Leeds bound bike commuters. Those without mudguards were weaving to miss the puddles, must have lengthened the journey quite a bit.

Off there at Viaduct Road and up the hill to Headingley, by the time I reached there my fingers had started to warm up a bit. More upwards to cross the Ring Road and after that turn right to ride through Adel. No left turn for Golden Acre Park today, straight on to pass Eccup, and the pub usually known as the New Inn at Eccup. The road begins to descend at Burden Head Farm, quite steeply, so a bit of free speed there, almost all the way to Weardly.

Then the A659, and a right turn. All the way to the A61 and turn left to cross the Wharfe on Harewood Bridge. Up the road to Swindon Lane, it might just change its name before reaching Kirkby Overblow. As the road rises after there the views to the right open up. Landscapes in autumn sun might work as a title. I had reached the chapel at Kearby before I found a view to stick the bike in, opposite the chapel.

Kearby Spa.jpg

There is a bit of a rise in the road further on, doesn’t look much but it slowed me a bit this morning, and the the road levels. All the way to the top of Sicklinghall, another place built on a hill.

Undulations after that until the right turn onto Northgate Lane which is briskly downhill all the way into Linton. Time to go back across the River Wharfe now, then a wriggle through Collingham to find the bottom of Jewitt Lane. One rider went by, downhill, before I reached the top of the first step up here and at the start of the second three other riders whizzed past, again downhill. I was happy, and breathless, to reach the right turn onto Compton Lane.

More views on the right, intermittently, all the way through East Rigton to the top of the drop into Thorner. Out of there, Sandhills is a slog with tired legs, and turn right to reach the A58. Another ride down Boot Hill and past the Oakwood Clock on my way to the town centre and beyond to home. A grin for thirty six gorgeous miles and 1736 feet of climbing, the recipe worked well indeed.

More ups and downs, make a ride more fun

2110elev.jpg

21102021.jpg

Cathryn

Legendary Member
First day of half term and a glorious but COLD day! Met up with a girl I’ve been following on IG for few months now and we went for an off road spin in Savernake Forest!

Lovely trails - not too muddy! There was an enormous downed tree which took some negotiating to climb over but autumn leaves were lovely! So nice to ride with a new friend as I usually ride alone!

Attachments

• 5CA24EA9-8AF0-400E-8256-9CFC273F29B1.jpeg
    5CA24EA9-8AF0-400E-8256-9CFC273F29B1.jpeg
    326.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 130E812B-6EC3-40D5-B8AF-CF6B706D5872.jpeg
    130E812B-6EC3-40D5-B8AF-CF6B706D5872.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 8
  • 85ABA778-D379-4C05-A5FF-A10E6D956D2E.jpeg
    85ABA778-D379-4C05-A5FF-A10E6D956D2E.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom