Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
A much needed evening ride, to empty the stress bucket a little, following 4 days of work madness. I met @Rickshaw Phil and Doug, by a nearby pub, resisting the temptation to go in there instead. Fairly mild out and very little wind for a change.

We followed one of my regular evening routes out to Hook a Gate and Annscroft, before joining the lanes to Exfords Green, Stapleton and Gonsal. Whilst we were paused having a drink and chat, for a few minutes, a lot of traffic came past using the lane as a rat run to avoid Dorrington and just as we were about to head off again we had to squeeze up into the hedge to allow a tractor/trailer to pass yet another car.

We continued on to Condover, then along Lyons Lane, which was quiet until we met 4 cars in the most inconvenient places possible. Why is that always the case?!

The final section was through Betton Abbots and we parted ways having enjoyed the ride.

14.89 miles at 11.7mph avg.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As @gavgav has already reported, an evening ride out into the Shropshire countryside in great conditions for cycling (not too cold, hardly any wind, dry roads).

Gav set a good pace from the start out to Annscroft (letting out that stress) which Doug found a bit of an effort to keep up with but didn't do too badly. This section isn't a road that's good for riding slowly together and chatting so we tend to press on anyway.

Considering that we were setting out during the evening rush, the roads used weren't too busy and the drivers all seemed sensible. Later, on the narrower roads we did seem to meet traffic in all the most inconvenient places as Gav has alluded to.

17.3 miles by the time I got back at 11.8 mph average. A pretty good trip and nice to be out in company.^_^

No photos from this one.

ianbarton

Veteran
Dismal weather the last few weeks. I am only getting out about once a week because of the floods and roads covered in hedge cuttings. On Wednesday the weather looked half decent and most of the floods had subsided. I fancied a pre-Christmas lunch in the Wem library cafe. I set off on my anti-clockwise version of the ride which avoids climbing the steep hill from Press up to the church.

Arriving in Wem I met a couple of riders from Market Drayton were unlocking their bikes from the hoops outside the cafe. After a brief chat I went inside and settled down to a brie, cranberry and bacon sandwich washed down with a couple of Americanos. Suitably refreshed I set off along the B road to Prees Lower Heath and a climb back to the Church. A quick descent took me back to the A49 where I crossed over and made my way to Ightfield. Shropshire Council were finally fixing the huge flood on the bend leaving Ightfield. From there it's almost downhill all the way home.

57km and 276 metres of climbing.

A bit of a squeeze.
vlcsnap-2021-12-17-14h57m55s420.png

Outside Wem cafe
vlcsnap-2021-12-17-14h59m48s525.png

Finally fixing the flood at Ightfield.
vlcsnap-2021-12-17-15h02m37s441.png

Morning Ride _ Ride _ Strava.png

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A nice afternoon ride around The Warren.
4 of the 6 cows decided to trot along in front of me for about 400 yards until the gate, so I took it very easy. At the gate I realised the other 2 were right behind me!

In September I asked Lisa to marry me at this bench……

More gorgeous scenery until I took the road to Membland. A car stationary flashed its lights at me…. I took it as ‘come through’
The deer panicked and skittered all over, bouncing off sheep netting. Eventually it found an exit route.

Almost 10 miles. Lovely!

https://www.strava.com/activities/6395132441

Attachments

• 3CB79052-C6EB-4B60-A4FA-DC62699ECAC0.jpeg
    3CB79052-C6EB-4B60-A4FA-DC62699ECAC0.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 2

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Rich B and Jules H were in for this one. It took a brain wave from Jules to come up with the Bromsberrow Heath idea so we dodged around Hillend for the run down to Rye Cross. Then around the southern end of the Hills to drop onto the community shop and café.
The excellent chat continued while 2 pots of tea disappeared in al fresco fashion. Then on around a loop lead us to Redmarley D'Abitot and a pause at the war memorial to read the inscription to the first British casualty of WWII. We took the most direct route to Rye Cross for a lanesy return to Hook Bank and the fairly usual run home.
Lovely outing today with 2 super pals who looked after me very well. 40 smiles

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Our Wednesday group Solstice ride yesterday. It was a cold but dry day, a chill North wind blowing. Seven set off at the start, we picked up the more along the way, and another at the lunch-stop, the Rest & be Thankful inn at Wheddon Cross. Before we got there I had to fix an impact puncture, the others helping or offering advice.
The route back took a detour for Sarah's favourite descent, then retraced, though with another pub stop.
With my riding to & from the start I ended up with 153km on the clock. Beer may have been consumed.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Another small ride this afternoon.
Almost 40 mph down Puslinch hill, I don’t like to get too much speed up due to the narrow bridge at the bottom. On through the woods along by the river, then the fields where we walk the dogs.
Up the loooong draggy hill at Dunstone and around the coast road. I had a call from a mate who is isolating due to contracting covid, so I chatted with him while I free wheeled.
Down through Noss and up to home from Bridgend.
Almost 12 miles
https://www.strava.com/activities/6403857511

Glow worm

Legendary Member
My mileage this month has been very low due to work/ rubbish weather etc. I’m running the risk of my first sub-100 mile month since December 1998.

Must do better really but on miserable days like today, I find it hard to get motivated. Anyway, todays damp 12 miler was a bit bleak but it was good to get the old legs moving again.

Above, the drove out to Burwell Fen. Still, at least it was quiet.

When I bought the bike in late September, I was sad it had no kickstand as I’d just assumed a decent tourer would always have one. The guy in the shop in Harrogate said I won’t be needing one- ‘there’s always a tree, post, fence or wall to lean it up against’ He said Cheerfully. He has clearly never been to the Fens!
I’m making do with a temporary thing for now. A kickstand clamped to the chainstay looks the only realistic option for this bike, (but I’m reluctant for obvious reasons!). It is a proper PITA not having a decent kickstand.

The longhorn cattle on Burwell Fen looked as fed up as I was feeling. At least I finally found a fence.

I’d planned to head for my favourite dusk- owl spotting hidey-hole but it was a bit too damp, cold and gloomy for that so I headed home. Days like this will make spring, when it finally arrives so welcome!

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
My first ride this month, and it is cold. Too cold for me really but the painful arm that has kept me off the bike for so long seemed to be better enough to take it for a ride. On the Spa.

A short route was chosen, and of course I could always just turn around if the fun was not there. And a late start, with very little traffic about, all the way through Holbeck to Office Lock. Ride along the towpath as far as Kirkstall Bridge and go back to the roads. In particular, the Leeds and Bradford Road. The first stretch of this is steep enough to warm up pretty well, then things level off a bit. After turning right at the traffic lights the road descends again almost all the way to Rodley, where there is a right turn onto Canal Road. Signposted ‘No Entry’, apart from bikes.
So I entered, and rode along to the swing bridge across the canal. Which took me back to the towpath I had turned off at Kirkstall Bridge. Head back that way, easy riding and a couple of three rise locks to go down the side of. Then I noticed the left turn, to Kirkstall Forge railway station. The forge, twenty odd years gone now, was where the Kirkstall axle was developed and made, made for a lot of years indeed. I suppose trucks with more powerful engines did not need a two speed back axle to climb hills.

Anyway, me and my bike (with nine speed back wheel) pedalled to the station, crossed the tracks and returned to road riding. Down to Abbey Road and continue along the A65 and wander around Leeds’ centre before crossing the river on Victoria Bridge. Bit of a dodge around and I am back on the street where I live, seventeen miles after riding away from it. There were 574 feet of uphill in that distance and it was still flippin’ cold. Good to be out for a ride though, and a hot shower cured the tingly bits rather well.

Map, and the only hill of the morning . . .

21122021.jpg

2112elev.jpg

ianbarton

Veteran
The sky was grey with small drops of rain and a slight breeze. I set off for
the Warfarin Clinic in Audlem propping my bike up against the wall at the back
of the surgery. After my Warfarin test I set off back through the village and
along the Woore road.

Turning off right towards Kinsey Heath I began to feel quite cold. I had set
off in a merino base layer and my Buffalo cycling top. It would have been a
good idea to have another layer, but I hadn't got anymore layers with me! I got
warm again by increasing my speed going up the long hill. In good weather there
is a good view over the Cheshire plain, but today it was grey and drizzly.

Reaching the top of the final steep section I would normally have enjoyed the
long downhill into Norton in Hales. By the time I reached Norton-in-Hales I was
cold again. I increased my effort and by the time I reached Market Drayton I
had warmed up again. I stopped off at the mini Sainsbury to get a sandwich and
some mini pork pies. I usually stop by the duck pond at Morton Say for lunch,
but it was too cold and miserable. I carried on into Ightfield where I took
shelter in the bus shelter. This was partially occupied by another bike which
obviously had a flat rear tyre. There was no one else about. I assumed that
they had somehow gone to find another inner tube. By the time I finished
eating nobody had come back to claim the bike.

I set off for home. This section is normally really enjoyable because it's
mostly downhill. However, the drizzle kept covering my cycling glasses, so I
had to keep swiping them with my gloves the clear them. By the time I got home
I was soaked and cold. However, I felt a sense of achievement and was pleased
that I had kept going rather than taking a shortcut home.

42km average temperature 8C.

IMG_20211220_130618.jpg

Alex321

Veteran
I haven't been posting in this thread, although I've been riding most days, because I don't tend to stop for photos much, and during the week all my rides have been in the dark anyhow.

Tonight I did a ride I've done a few times before, out through City, up the hill to the B4268, cross to langan and out from there, up Crack Hill Lane, then left on the A48 for a few hundred yards, the right to Colwinston. From there to Llysworney, then across to the Cross Inn, down then up through Llanblethian, then home along the A4222.

When I got back close to home was on 14.4 miles, so did a bit of a twiddle through the estate to get it up to the 14.6 I knew I needed to hit 4,000 for the year :smile:

Strava stats for 2021(so far)
1640123173641.png

And this ride:
1640123236892.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/6411673299

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride:

Having finished this year's challenge I still wanted to get another long ride in this month to keep in practice ready to start my next challenge. Yesterday looked good for it so I got prepared and set an early alarm.

The roads were dry and the temperature hadn't gone quite as low as forecast overnight so frost wasn't a worry. I layered up well as it was still pretty chilly (with the thought that I might have put too many layers on) and headed out at about 7am, only to have to return almost straight away when I realised my bottle cage was empty.:blush: I only lost a few minutes sorting that out then headed over Lyth Hill for Condover. A bit of extra mileage was added by going through Wheathall, Berriewood then back to Condover before climbing up to Cantlop and joining the road to Acton Burnell and Longnor. The fact it was still early was emphasised at Green Farm by the milk tanker waiting to pick up outside. A mile or two later I met the first cyclist I'd seen so far.

I took the climb over Folly Bank slowly so as to save the legs for later then dropped down to Cardington where, as is often the case, it felt colder and I needed a change to full finger gloves. (It was probably a bit optimistic starting in fingerless gloves but they had been fine for the first 18 miles).

An unexpected road closure at Longville threatened to spoil things a bit. I didn't fancy the official diversion (busy B road) or the other alternative (big hill to climb) so I took the risk that they'd let me walk past the closure. In the event there was no sign of work having started for the day so I was able to ride through unimpeded.

I took a break near Hughley then took my usual route almost to Harley before doubling back to head the indirect way through Harnage Grange to Cressage (another little bit of distance added). Climbing up to Eaton Constantine a few more cyclists were out and about. Even though I was only about 35 miles in the climbs were getting a bit slow. Keeping the gears low and plodding was the order of the day through Uppington until I could enjoy the long gentle descent of Bluebell Lane.

From Walcot the going is easier with longer stretches of flat road. I was still fairly slow but I could at least keep the momentum going through Rodington Heath then up to High Ercall. I took another break shortly after the village then carried on to Heath Lanes and Cold Hatton before crossing the A442 for Little Bolas. Apart from a short but charp climb here the road is pretty flat through Eaton Upon Tern, Ollerton and Stoke On Tern. When planning the route I'd hoped that the forecast wind direction would help along this section but I'm not entirely sure that I felt much benefit.

Having passed Stoke Heath I entered Market Drayton past the golf club. Last time I was here, preparations were underway to repair the rotten road surface. They have done a shoddy job and it still has to be treated with caution.:dry: I didn't head for the town centre but meandered through the suburbs then took the road to Longford then Longslow - a bit of a roundabout route but it avoids having to cross the busy A53. I had a particular gateway in mind for my lunch stop but there was someone parked in it so I rode further on, getting a hill that I'd not been looking forward to out of the way and passing the metric century in the process.

While stopped to eat I got cold quite quickly and it took a good two or three miles through Calverhall and Ightfield before I started to warm up again. I felt okay again by Prees and got along steadily through Whixall, Dobson's Bridge, Northwood and Lyneal to Colemere where the shelter of the hedge in front of the church made for a good place for another break to have a snack. I did toy with the idea of changing my planned route here but wasn't sure of the mileage so carried on past Whitemere to Lee where I turned towards Lower Hordley. I think there must have been a shift changeover at the ABP plant as the roads as far as the factory were busier than I'm used to. It calmed down on the way to Weston Lullingfields and Baschurch though.

I'd not been looking forward to the climb just after Baschurch but I seemed to have more energy than expected. I had a pause for a drink at Little Ness then knew I'd got less than 10 miles to go so headed on gently. Between Montford Bridge and Bicton there is a long, steady climb that isn't fun with tired legs. While halfway up, another cyclist whizzed past me but I didn't feel too bad about that when I heard the whine of a motor putting in the effort.

It was properly dark by this time which helped make the descision to get out of the traffic along some quieter and flatter roads even if it was less direct, so I headed through Bicton Heath, the new estate at Bowbrook then Mousecroft to get to Meole Brace. I ought to have had a bite of flapjack at my last water stop and failing to do that meant I really ran out of energy in the last couple of miles. Speed was reduced to a crawl for much of it and I had to stop twice on the last climb of the day. Only stubborness kept me going to the end, but I got there and I got the distance I was looking for.:okay:

102.1 miles at 11.4 mph average. My longest ride of 2021, achieved on the shortest day.^_^

I could have done with another layer on and next time I'll make sure of eating something in the last 10 miles and take along some jelly babies for that fast energy release if needed.

Crossing Lyth Hill at the start and leaving the lights of Shrewsbury behind.

Acton Burnell. It's a while before sunrise still at this point - not that I could see it with the overcast sky.

Cardington.

The Wrekin viewed from Cressage Bridge.

At Stoke on Tern.

Ightfield.

Prees.

Whitemere.

Wycherley Hall.

Top Bottom