Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Friday and the ebike on shopping duties totalling 22.72 miles and 1571ft of elevation, which lead to the Defy having a day off, but not today. Set off just after noon and the wind still had a chill to it which did make me wonder if short sleeves was the right choice; it did soon warm. The ride started out and ended largely as a reverse of Thursdays ride. Outwards I continuing to Cowthorpe and Tockwith where I paused for a snack and found my phone was almost flat. Prior to that I had to play with the front mech barrel adjuster as once again the chain was socially distancing from the larger chainwheel.

Across Marston Moor to Long Marston and onto the B1224 through Rufforth to the western edge of the York conurbation. Immediately had a falling out with the Garmin which illustrated straight on at a roundabout and stated second exit which was correct for the illustration only then to come up with an abrupt ‘Off course’. I had thought it was not right and instead took what did transpire to be correct; it should have shown a right turn at the roundabout and then a left turn at one almost immediately afterwards.

Picked up the York Orbital cycle route, at its junction 6, which soon turned off a vehicular carriageway onto a nicely tarmacked path across Hob Moor.

That lead to a passage under the East Coast Mainline; I was concious that the roof was quite low. The path continued to the Tadcaster Road where via a pedestrian crossing the orbital route passes along the eastern side of the road before turning briefly alongside Knavesmire Road.

I left the route continuing along the highway to a bench for a further snack. Then rejoined the orbital route across Millenium Bridge over the River Ouse.

Along a busy walkway to the east side of the river before following the orbital route east and then north on road or shared pavement to Junction 20 where I headed west briefly on NCN658 Way of the Roses to the second word ABC of Foss Islands Retail Park.

Foss Islands being the name of this part of York. Returned to the orbital route which soon followed the Foss Islands Path along a former railway. It was along here the Garmin had another wobble, insisting I was off route and I needed to do a U turn. I did only to get the same message! Another U turn and then up a ramp to a road to see if that would lead to any sensible messages. It did not but I did find another sign to photo.

Reverted to the original direction and the Garmin eventually decided it was on course. The cycleway undulated implying levels have changed since a train run along here.

Back onto highways / shared pavements there were a couple more iffy directions from the Garmin implying I needed to be on the shared pavement on the other side of the carriagway when that was not the case. I left the orbital route at Junction 12 to join NCN65 Way of the Roses, briefly alongside the River Ouse – an aged tarmac path making for a rough ride and the Sportcam started wobbling on its mount; one of the type with a strap around the handlebar into a part that is tightened by a bolt. Discovered my multi-tool does not have an allen key small enough.

Passed under the A1237 and continued to Skelton where to save time I abandoned the NCN routing via Overton and took to the A19; along here I had a crazy pass – nothing wrong with the overtake but their was a car approaching in the opposite direction. Turned off and paused next to the East Coast mainline for a snack and where I decided to pocket the sportcam as its wobbling was rather distracting; a newish Trans-Pennine train went pass.

Took the by-pass lane to Beningborough Hall then through Newton on Ouse and Linton on Ouse and over Aldwark Bridge. Paused for a snack at Great Ouseburn and then largely the reverse of the first part of Thursdays ride. 58.84 miles 2123ft climbed 13.7mph avg

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A sunny 12 miler today in north Norfolk.

First stop, Burnham Thorpe- Nelson’s birthplace. I like this newly completed artwork of him, carved in situ from a tree that had died- I think a lime but could be wrong. Must have taken a lot of work. He does look a little grumpy!

Then on to the coast - above, the main sandy bit is Scolt Head island - Norfolk’s northernmost point. Lots of avocet, black tailed godwits and redshank to be seen.

I’ve heard it said, if you were to sail one degree west of north from here, the first landmass you’d hit would be Antarctica- as you’d go right over the North Pole and through the Bering Straights then down the Pacific. I won’t be trying it any time soon and anyway prefer a frozen North Pole! It could of course be cobblers, as I’ve never got the map out to check.

More likely is tomorrow’s 38 miles ride back to Newmarket with a little help from the Kings Lynn to Ely train.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Yesterday's glorious weather goaded me into my (shamefully only) third ride of the year. After a heavy few days (physically exerting with insufficient sleep) I'd resolved to stick to a short, sedate ride and headed west out of the village - which is really the only option given the state of the roads and available routes otherwise.

As usual I went where my nose took me and ended up clocking up around 30 miles at a mean speed of 12mph; being utterly exhausted by the time I got back. Pretty grotty considering past exploits, but my longest ride for a long time and infinitely preferable to not getting out at all.

Highlights included seeing a good smattering of Ukranian flags which lifted the spirits, getting overtaken by literally every other cyclist I encountered and rescuing an earthworm from baking in the sun on the road - hopefully that will go some way towards redressing the Karma deficit from all these I've chopped up digging the garden :rolleyes:

Thanks to the cumulative exertion over the past few days I enjoyed a massive glow / body high last night and still feel pretty good this morning; although I think it's going to take a sustained course of caffeine and codeine to get me through the day as my neck and shoulders are ruined.

Hopefully now the weather's turned a corner and I can get out a lot more over the coming months :becool:

gavgav

Guru
My ride out last night and then back in the early hours of this morning, only 4.62 miles but it was over to see friends for a drink and catch up on the patio, which was the first time we’d done that since pre pandemic days, so a lovely evening.

A warm trip up, in the early evening dusk, but a cold trip home, just after midnight! Surprisingly still still quite a bit of traffic about at that time of night.

ianbarton

Veteran
A sunny day, so I decided to take my new Giant bike and cycle to Whitchurch. I
think the saddle is too low, so it's something to sort out. I went in an anti
clockwise direction through Aston and Wrenbury.

When I got to the level crossing the barriers were down and there was a train
at the platform. I didn't have to wait for long before it set off. There was
still a flood at the very potholed section of road just beyond the station.

I took the left turn opposite the church and headed towards Marley Green. The
road goes behind Combermere Abbey before I took a left turn crossing under the
railway line and up several steep inclines to the top of the hill. The road is
single track, so I had to pull over a couple of times to let cars past
me. Beyond the top of the hill, there is a nice downhill section into the
outskirts of Whitchurch.

I stopped at the traffic lights and waited in the box for cycles in front of
the lights. There is a three-way light system and it can take a few minutes
before the lights turn green. I pulled out and turned right onto the main road
and some prat who was behind me at the lights lent out of the window and
shouted "Effing cyclist". I have got this on video, but since Whitchurch is in
the West Mercia police area I won't bother reporting it. West Mercia police
have a terrible system which makes it almost impossible to upload videos. You
have to create an encrypted account on their system and then upload a copy of
your video. For most non geeks just the complexity of creating an account uploading the video
will stop them from reporting any incident. They give you an incident number and
then completely ignore your report.

I stopped off at Sainsbury to buy some food and continued back through the town
to cross the A49 and climb up the hill to Edgely. Following the road through
Ash Parva and Ash Magna I arrived at the outskirts of Ightfield. Following my
usual route via Millenheath and down the hill to Tittenley Pool. At the T
junction I decided to stop and eat my lunch. I noticed a new looking bench
under the trees. I don't remember seeing this before, although I often cycle
this way. It's only a couple of miles from home and as I am usually going in
the opposite direction I wouldn't normally stop there.

Train at Wrenbury
vlcsnap-2022-03-27-14h02m58s949.png

Impatient motorist telling me to eff off.
vlcsnap-2022-03-27-13h45m37s526.png

Lodges at the Shavington Estate.
vlcsnap-2022-03-27-13h51m39s582.png

IMG_20220326_141044.jpg

IMG_20220326_141026.jpg

23_03_22 - A bike ride in Dodcott cum Wilkesley, England.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Today's cycling shenanigans. A near repeat of last months century route, with a few added tweaks. It started up a bit damp at first with low cloud and mist but soon dried up after an hour leaving it a nice and dry ride. Temperatures stayed low all day which was a bit disappointing seeing as the last few days had been very warm. Thankfully I got the clothing right so wasn't cold.
So, Scores on the doors
100 miles for the day.
March's Imperial century ride done.
Imperial century #307 over all.
Imperial Century Month 136 in a row

Love the name of this lane

Horne in Surrey

WWII Pillbox in Horne

geocycle

Legendary Member
Lovely day, so had to be the Dales. Road out to Ingleton and up Oddies Lane to the lovely Chapel-le-dale road. Glorious views of Ingleborough and Twistleton scar. Continued up past Ribblehead viaduct then up again to the Dentdale turn off. This was the high point of the ride at 420 masl and metaphorically as well, since I was treated to a display by a red kite accompanied by supporting Curlew. The descent through Dentdale was exhilarating and lunch was procured in Dent itself. Got a message that the electric was off at home so added an extra loop to near Sedbergh before following the lune valley homeward. Kirby Lonsdale was packed but found a great ice cream. 106km or 66 miles with1250m of climbing.

Pictures show Ingleborough from the Chapel-le-Dale road, the lovely chapel in Dentdale and the view looking down to the Dent viaduct.

Mike_P

Guru
24 hours GMT on, 25 hours as the clocks now say, and short sleeves today were not the best of choices. Nicely warm in the sun but in the shade a different matter, so it was probably good that I was only doing a short ride. Clambered up the back streets paralleling the hill on Ripon Road then across to the Pine Woods, a loop to the south of the Otley Road before joining that for a fastest ever ride to Beckwithshaw. Then up the long drag of Norwood Lane to pass by the rock formation of Little Armscliffe

before a fast decent away. North on the B6451 to head east on Penny Pot buffeted by the light cross head wind. 17.3 miles 1063ft climbed 13.5mph avg.

Last edited:
Took advantage of the excellent weather and got a decent ride in today. Left the house before 6am, it was a tad chilly and quite frosted out in the sticks.

Went out Oundle way, fantastic riding out that way, By the time I stopped at 80 miles, I was short sleeved and sunglasses on. Wind finally wasn't too bad.

Went down a bridleway to grab some squares and came across this: (not my photo, nicked it off t'internet.) It is Lyvesden new bield from late 1500's early 1600's, an unfinished house, the stonework looked immaculate, I guess the National Trust which owns it have been doing work on it.

View attachment 637164

Just shy of 107 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/6885028846
I was there last week

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another early Sunday start complete with mist and frost which was a bit chilly in shorts but it was forecast to warm up fairly quickly. Headed to Ellesmere to the Mere to meet the only other person in our group who was out today, this did mean there was no route planned so having agreed on a rough distance and no huge
hills ( he likes riding up hills and I really don’t 😂) Simon got to choose the route.
We set off in a familiar direction through Ellesmere and onto Tetchill turning right at Hordley for a change and onto Rednal and Queens Head where we turned to Whittington past the castle to Gobowen , St Martins and Sodylt Bank before joining the road back to Ellesmere via Knolton.
It was good to see some new places and it turned into a lovely sunny day. 38.5 miles in Shropshire and Wales

It's a bit of a East West story for me today. I met some mates in East Northamptonshire (west of Peterborough) for a gravel bike ride and they decided they wanted to go the east side of Peterborough. It wasn't as nice as its been of late but just as I was leaving them in East Northamptonshire it started to warm up so I went exploring deeper into East Northamptonshire by the time I got to a cafe it had turned nice and warm and by the time I got back to Peterborough the skies were blue 🌞

https://www.relive.cc/view/vQvxnBPpBB6

The stars of diary and weather aligned, so out for a Spring Cobbled Classic. The aim being Trooper Lane in Halifax, which I'd never done and sounded like a lot of fun.

https://cyclinguphill.com/trooper-lane/

The plan, given my winter timber, was to get there with the least effort possible, main roads and gentle gradients. Unfortunately, the spring sunshine got the better of me so a detour up Werneth Low started the climbing. Werneth Low is a great little hill with the most stupendous views over Manchester and brutally steep on all approaches. There's a pub at the summit too. Highly recommended. They even changed a signpost to encourage my post ride diet: View attachment 637136

Onwards through the D's: Diggle, Delph, Dobcross, Denshaw, then up to the summit of Rishworth Moor for a snack by a boundary post. Slightly spoiled by the vast quantities of litter discarded by twats in cars festooning the surrounding countryside.
View attachment 637137
Down to Sowerby Bridge and the start of the main event.

View attachment 637138

The next part may go on a bit... feel free to ignore.

The climb starts gently then goes back to tarmac for a stupidly steep hairpin, but subsequently calms down again. "What's all the fuss about?" thinks I. Eventually we reach the cobbled section: the road narrows to about two metres and kicks up like a donkey on crack. My legs remark casually, apropos of nothing, "there's really no shame in walking, you know". The best tactics for cobbles, I think, are to sit down, get your weight back and tough it out. This most excellent strategy lasts precisely one pedal turn. I stand up. My legs, no longer casual, shout "get off and push you fat, sad, middle aged Froome wannabee!!". I'm not taking this lying down. Indeed, I'm standing up. "Shut the fark up and farking push, you lardy farkers!" We slowly continue in a sullen silence broken only by loud gasping sounds like a steam engine with a lung condition. Frankly, we're going very, very slowly. Strava later reveals we're doing all of 4kmh. I'm sure it can't possibly continue at this gradient the whole way. I'm right. It steepens. Pain suffuses the horizon. A passing car gives a moments respite as I grab a telegraph pole and let it past. We go again. It looks as though the end may be near as we round a corner. Insanely, incredibly, without any compassion or feeling, the road steepens once more. "GET OFF AND PUSH" scream the legs. "Never" whimper I. Seconds, or maybe minutes, and seeming like hours pass, and finally the summit is topped. I am utterly spent.

Obviously, in such a state, the best thing to do next is climb Holme Moss. So that's what we do, via the climb of Ainley top, and lunch in Holmfirth. An Eccles cake is consumed amongst the paragliders after the suffererfesta.

Trooper Lane is not fun, by any definition of the word
Whilst I've not ridden it, I have run up it
Well........... run about 3/4s of the way, and suffered on that section
Mindst you, there is the recompense of the utterly magnificent Magna Via/'Dark Lane' (medieval hollow-way) afterwards

I've done it, during the course of an event called the 'Stainland Lions Bluebell Trail' (a 10 mile mixed terrain race)
It's reckoned that it gains the height of Blackpool Tower in 1/2mile!

https://stainlandlions.co.uk/bluebell

route-map-2018.jpg

There's always; http://thehelloftheworth.blogspot.com/
Essentially the 'Ronde van Calderdale' route

Not sure where this is, on the course?
The name 'Paris' rings bells???

Last edited:
Top Bottom