Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fri 26th

Just to work & back

Left there at 17:15 today
Decided to ride home along the (Aire & Calder Navigation) Canal, from Harrisons Bridge, which meant a stretch of the 'Eastern Relief Road' (aka, going to be part of a h-u-g-e housing estate!)
I'd normally turn off onto Nellie Spindler Drive (1)

Once on the A&CNC, it was back to ‘Stanley Ferry’ (& its Grade 1 listed Aquaduct), then upstream along the (River) Calder, on the old railway embankment (2)
I rode northwards; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6493071

Crossing the Trash Screen Bridge; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6918430

Then heading south-east along the Calder into NewLands Woods, passing through where NewLands Hall stood, & the (remaining, but ruinous) stable block; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2416200

As seen here (3)
View attachment 636978

Looking to my left, in the direction I came from
It was very dry today, all the way along
View attachment 636976

At the exit from the woods, there can be a puddle/ruts, caused by agricultural traffic turning, that's deep enoiugh to cover the pedals at the bottom of the stroke....................... which also contains the diluted delights that run out of the cow-shed:okay:

View attachment 636977

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_Spindler
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-40976974
https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads...ied-full-military-honours-passchendaele-81359

2. I ride along the site of the line, disappearing into the distance; https://www.outwoodcommunityvideo.co.uk/stanley-remembered-1/tom-puddings-at-stanley.html
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3511340
https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101261690-stanley-ferry-aqueduct-normanton#.Yj4Ftk3P3IU

3. The first B&W photograph, shows the layout; https://stanleyhistoryonline.com/newland-estate
https://britishlistedbuildings.co.u...hall-newland-with-woodhouse-moor#.Yj4Eak3P3IU

EDIT @ 21:43
Not far into this piece, I mention the 'Trash Screen Bridge', this post shows it post 'flood' water, & at the bottom of the page, the Calder as it's rising
The entry into the woods, in wetter weather, and approximately where I stood to take the trio above
That's about my limit for riding the CGR through that picture was taken on a running day

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10208519165368919&set=a.10207546371369677

I might ride in to work for a loathsome/abhorrent ‘late-turn’ in the opposite direction
However, we’ve had a couple of hours of light rain here, so the woods might be a bit greasy, if the rain’s got through the tree canopy

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It was beautifully sunny on Sunday, if a trifle cold to start with. I rode the Mad March 200 with 40 others. It was a bit of a grind with 3000m of climbing, but stunning views over Exmoor.
Photo of the event nicked from South Devon CTC

https://www.strava.com/activities/6893617895

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Trooper Lane is not fun, by any definition of the word
Whilst I've not ridden it, I have run up it
Well........... run about 3/4s of the way, and suffered on that section
Mindst you, there is the recompense of the utterly magnificent Magna Via/'Dark Lane' (medieval hollow-way) afterwards

I've done it, during the course of an event called the 'Stainland Lions Bluebell Trail' (a 10 mile mixed terrain race)
It's reckoned that it gains the height of Blackpool Tower in 1/2mile!

https://stainlandlions.co.uk/bluebell

View attachment 637457

There's always; http://thehelloftheworth.blogspot.com/
Essentially the 'Ronde van Calderdale' route

Not sure where this is, on the course?
The name 'Paris' rings bells???
View attachment 637456

View attachment 637454

View attachment 637455

I couldn't run up. I can barely run on the flat!

Magna via looks very nice, but I just descended direct to Brighouse. Somewhat shakily!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
A longer ride in Cheshire today, about 70 miles, to enjoy the March sunshine. One of my favs, an easy, enjoyable ride, no real hills.

I took a pic of St James' Church in the village of Gawsworth, Cheshire, which is next to the popular Gawsworth Hall.
View attachment 637485

Lovely position, the church at Gawsworth. This from two years ago on the tandem

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Belated ride reports yet again:

Thursday (24th) - I'd hoped to do a ride in the afternoon but in the end I didn't have as much time available as hoped so just headed out on my regular Condover, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Harnage, Cross Houses, Condover route.

It was a fabulous day so I got the Raleigh out for its first trip of the season and was able to wear shorts. I took the direct way to Condover and found I needed a pause for a saddle adjustment on the way. In the village there was almost a moment with another rider who saw me at the very last moment as he joined from the Berriewood road. He came up shortly after and apologised for not spotting me as he was looking out for cars - we ended up chatting for a while until our paths split near Ryton.

The rest of the ride was nicely uneventful, which is as I like it. Flag of the day at Cound was the St. Georges Cross. On reaching the A458 it wasn't as busy as usual so I stayed on the main road into Cross Houses then headed to Berrington. I did get held up a little by a car on the way to Condover - I let them past but then they weren't as quick as me into the dip before the Allfield turning so I had to hang back.

23.9 miles at a nice swift 15.2 mph average. This bike always feels so nice to ride after a winter on the knockabout bike.^_^

Looking to the Wrekin from one of my regular viewpoints.

At Cound.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Friday (25th) - This was my last real chance this month to get my Imperial Century Challenge ride in so it was the usual early start and I got out on the Raleigh into a bright but chilly morning at about ten to seven.

I was headed for Condover and Ryton to start with then added a bit of distance by going through Wheathall and Berriewood, back towards Condover and up the hill to Cantlop before taking the road to Acton Burnell. Traffic wasn't too bad but did pick up a little as the rush hour neared. Having a pause for a drink stop near Longnor I was surprised at how many vehicles went past in a short time.

Being loaded up (I aim to be self-sufficient on my rides) the climb to Folly Bank was fairly plodding. I had a motorist wave me past on the narrow bit at the summit and he called out encouragement as I passed.:smile:

Having passed Cardington and Longville, a snack stop was taken near Huughley and it had warmed up enough to take off a layer. As usual I continued along the road to Harley but turned towards Harnage Grange before reaching it. Cressage was next then the long drag up through Eaton Constantine to Uppington followed by the descent of Bluebell Lane to Walcot. I took the direct way to Rodington Heath then headed for High Ercall along a stretch of road that was quite busy with Friday traffic.

Even though this is a nicer bike to ride, the legs were feeling the effort by Heath Lanes and I started looking out for somewhere good to take my elevenses stop. None of the gateways really appealed so I thought I'd get the crossing of the busy A442 out of the way and stop after that. I wasn't expecting to find road closed signs but fortunately the closure was at the junction where I wanted to turn off anyway. I shed more layers and had my snack stop with a view of vehicles coming up to the closure and having to turn around or try to find an alternative route. This did mean encountering a few pushy drivers as I headed to Eaton upon Tern and helped with the decision to vary the route by heading to Child's Ercall, Hungry Hatton and Goldstone on my way to Cheswardine. I have only ridden in this direction once before so was pleased not to make any wrong turns on the way. I had forgotten quite how much climbing was involved though so wasn't quick by any means. Next I headed for Market Drayton, following the marked cycling route. I did manage to take a wrong turn here but fortunately realised straight away that it didn't look right.

I headed through the centre of Market Drayton and took my usual route to Longford and Longslow where a lunch stop was taken. The legs took a little while to get going again after this one as I headed to Calverhall and Ightfield. Having not ridden this bike for a few months I found the saddle was feeling a bit firm too by the 65 mile mark. That feeling passed after a few more miles but recurred at intervals for the rest of the ride.

I'd chosen to do this route as the forecast easterly wind should be giving assistance later on. Disappointingly though it felt like a headwind on the way to Prees and at various points through Dobson's Bridge to Northwood and Lyneal. I needed energy by Colemere so paused for another snack stop but found I had to eat the flapjack slowly and wanted plenty to drink. Heading away from Colemere I met a van on a narrow lane. I did what I usually do and pulled the bike as far off the road as possible only for the van driver to back up to a passing place - I honestly couldn't tell you when the last time was that someone did that for me when cycling, so a big thankyou to the driver.:smile:

At Lee I joined the road to Lower Hordley and found it busier than expected - this turned out to be the shift changeover at the ABP Meats plant. Once past their premises everything calmed right down again.

I was going pretty slow through Bagley and Weston Lullingfields. Another stop to open the jelly babies was needed just before Baschurch, which helped with the energy levels but couldn't help with the sit bones that were feeling a bit tender as I headed to Little Ness and Montford Bridge. I got over the climb to Bicton alright but was finding this road to be busier than I was happy with (the Friday evening rush) so I turned off through Gains Park and the new estate at Bowbrook which was a bit quieter.

104.13 miles at 12.5 mph moving average. Ten and a half hours including all the stops.:ohmy: A bit slower than hoped but the March challenge ride is bagged and all being well I can improve on that for the next one.

On the way to Wheathall.

A favourite view of Caer Caradoc before tackling the Folly Bank climb.

A really good display of daffs on the road out of Cardington.

The Wrekin from near Rushton.

Cold Hatton.

Crossing the canal at Goldstone Wharf.

Cheswardine.

Market Drayton.

The view from my lunch stop. Styche Hall is in the distance.

Colemere. I still have yet to see anyone actually sailing one of those boats.:laugh:

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
27/3/22

First half way decent ride this year. While checking over the Linear I removed the lightweight front carrier as the P clips weren’t up to even its tiny weight. If I find something stronger it may go back on in the future.

A few frustratingly fine days have gone by with cycling opportunities blocked by mundane tasks. Today I have time so I get my things together and go. At the back of my mind is an eventual tour in Wales this year, with better preparation and fitness than last year’s jaunt. I’d hoped to have been able to get out and ridden more by now, but it is what it is.

Looking reasonably presentable today. Least worst shoes, slim fit black trousers, blue fleece top as despite the sunshine the wind is cool at times. Black baseball cap and shades. Everlasting track mitts.

I wheel my lengthy steed through the gate and lean it against my fence. I park my aged bod on the garden chair which provides the rider’s perch. My hands wander over the controls. I fiddle with the mirror and get a feel for all the levers. Not so much a cockpit check but my fingers fall easily on to the familiar controls. I reflect on the terrifying strangeness that it once had. It must be baffling to anyone used to a conventional bike. Now it’s familiar territory to me. I have moved things about and made changes over time.

On the left bar end is the shifter for the three speed hub. Normally in middle gear, it gives the option for an extra low range or extra high range when needed. Where the bar end joins the handlebar is a friction lever for the double chainring up ahead. Next to that is a button for an electronic buzzer in case the bell doesn’t attract attention.

On the right bar end is a Sun Tour Bar Con to operate the seven derailleur gears on the rear hub. Where the bar end meets the handlebar is another friction lever. This works a large chrome bell on the accessory bar at the front via a gear cable. The friction is wound off on this lever so the spring on the bell can pull it back.

The brake levers point upwards. The left one operates the rear double caliper brake, the right one operates the front drum.

It’s all fairly symmetrical.

Ah well, enough self indulgent pondering. I look round, see the coast is clear, place my right foot on the right pedal at just before 12 O’clock, push, sweep up my left foot on to the left pedal and roll along the pavement to a spot where the kerb dips before crossing over and get into a rhythm. Not much traffic, on to the uphill lights, trundle through on green without stopping.

Although I haven’t ridden this bike in earnest for far too long, everything falls into place just as it does on my DF bike.

I’ve not replaced my cycle computer since it jumped overboard and disappeared on my last ride as I’ve been hoping to pick up a Garmin SatNav which I can transfer from bike to bike. In the meantime it’s quite relaxing to ride without one. No idea what speed I’m doing, average, etc.

I keep rolling until I reach the A54 roundabout, ease off speed and insert myself into the minimal traffic before turning right down the long hill to the town centre. I enjoy the breeze before turning left into Grange Lane. Mostly level or downhill until I climb out of a dip up to the access to the Whitegate Way.

Shortly after I pass a sign proclaiming “No Motorcycles or Quads” and climb up the access ramp I see parked up a pair of small motor bikes, one with a number plate, one without. Their riders are sitting at a picnic table not far away. One of them shouts, “I bet that takes some concentration” and I reply,”not really”. I could give them lots of advice about where you can and cannot ride a moped or motorbike based on all the enjoyment having a motor bike has given me over the years but doubt it would do any good. I’m not going to let it spoil my day.
There are quite a few other people about, mostly with dogs, some walking for the fun of it.

I carry on. The tree lined former rail line is loud with birdsong. Maybe it is just birds thuggishly claiming territory and seeing off their rivals but it all sounds joyful to me. After a mile or two of gradual uphill I am heating up so stop to put my top into the bag.

I pass a few more walkers and dogs coming the other way. A middle aged couple comes the other way, and the woman says, unexpectedly, “that’s a cool bike!” I say thank you, and keep on rolling.

The first such comment this year.

I see a balloon tied to a bench in the distance and as I come closer I see that it is a new one with fresh unweathered wood. The balloon says “Happy Mother’s day” and alongside the bench is a container of fresh flowers. I keep rolling and decide to have a closer look on the way back.

Ahead is a young mum cycling with a small boy on a tiny bike pedalling energetically behind her. I ease back a bit and let them enjoy their ride. Soon we come to the old Whitegate station where they turn off into the car park and I carry on.

The walkers thin out after passing under Whitegate Station bridge and I’m left to enjoy the peace and quiet. I realise how much I’ve missed being out on the bike.

As I approach Kennel Lane bridge I come up behind a group of walkers straggling all over the path but by the time I reach them they’ve turned up the slope to the bridge and Kennel Lane.

The trend is downhill after the bridge making for easy pedalling. I change up to the large chainring. The surface has dried out well after the last few weeks of miserable cold and wet. The tyres are very audible on the gritty surface, particularly the Big Apple on the front.

I come up behind a walker moving briskly along. He is wearing everyday clothes rather than walking gear, no backpack or hat. He stands out due to this. He doesn’t reply to my “hello” in passing. As he diminishes in my mirror he is still keeping up his pace.

Despite now being in a shady cutting it is still bright and warm. I pass under a bridge beneath a local lane, heavily reinforced with concrete supports which make it gloomy underneath.

I hear traffic and soon a wide bridge comes into sight. I pass under the A49, feeling the vibration as trucks pass overhead. A couple of mountain bikers pass by in the uphill direction.

The line curves to the right and comes out of the cutting. It is soon on an embankment. A bit further on I know that the track curves away from the original line, which is covered in woodland, separated by fencing. An unseen train rumbles by on the main line, probably passing the site of the historical junction with this line.

I come to a picnic bench and information board. Here I stop for a snack.

As soon as I stop I feel the cool wind and put my fleece top back on. The track is at the same level as the adjoining fields on this side. There is woodland on the other side, and a path leads down some steps to join the Delamere Loop bridleway.

I have ridden that route in the past on my tourer in the dry but it becomes very muddy in places when wet and probably a mountain bike would be more suitable especially in the winter. The first part is also rutted and quite undulating. I don’t have any ambitions to ride my recumbent that way today. It’s probably do-able but I would probably end up pushing it in places.

My original plan was just to do an out and back to the point I’m now at. I feel like pressing on but I reflect that it’s better to get home feeling that I want to do more, than to overdo my first proper ride this year and get home feeling wrung out.

While I’m putting my stuff away a mountain biker emerges from that path looking a bit flustered. I see that he’s got an electric bike which it looks like he’s struggled with to get up the steps. He nods at me then heads off up the slope.

I start off then realise I’ll need to be on the small ring so change down. The electric mountain biker is long gone so I just take it easy. I have a few attempts at taking photos on the move and manage it without falling off.
The A49 Bridge.

Going under the A49 Bridge

I pass under the first two bridges then stop to take my top off as I’m heating up again.

Kennel lane bridge -"the third bridge"

After the third bridge I encounter a horse and rider coming towards me As they get closer I notice that the horse is shaking its head and breaking its stride so I pull in to my side and stop. Horse and rider pass by and I say “Hello”. The rider doesn’t reply.

Not many walkers on this stretch but a few mountain bikers pass in the opposite direction. Something I have observed today is that many people walking dogs have two or three dogs with them, mostly small ones. I don’t remember many people having multiple dogs before or during the pandemic. Maybe it’s just coincidental.

I carry on through part of the old line where the trees fall back and the route levels out.

I change back to the large chainring and find myself moving faster than expected. The trees close in again then open out before Whitegate bridge. I arrive at the old station and stop to set up for a photo.

A woman of mature years walking a retriever stops and says, “That’s an interesting bike. I bet you get fed up with people stopping you to ask about it. Is that what they call a recumbent bike?” So naturally I feel duty bound to fill in some details. I think afterwards that its such an unlikely combination, an old geezer like me on a vintage recumbent becoming some sort of babe magnet. It does seem to be more women than men who show an interest. It can’t just be my youthful, magnetic charm as that ship sailed long ago. Not even a fridge magnet today.

The retriever lady carries on walking her dog, and I take some photos.
The old platform.

Note the collection of hands on the wall above the fence.

I know that the rest of my route back to tarmac is varying degrees of downhill, so I leave the chain on the big ring. I’m alongside the old station platform so I hold myself up with one hand, put both feet on the pedals, and launch. Simple and so gratifying compared with the usual launch routine.

Rolling along, through the barrier into a corner of the car park then through the narrow access on to the trail again, the closely spaced posts blurring past in my peripheral vision at each side. Remembering how anxious I used to be about passing through narrow gaps when I first started using this bike.

The surface rushes by a short distance beneath me as the pedals turn majestically slowly in high gear. Soon I see a balloon attached to a bench and a colourful splash of flowers. I stop at the bench. The balloon still reads “Happy Mother’s Day”. A plaque on the bench commemorates the parents of three named offspring. By the newness of the bench it is a recent bereavement. Quite poignant that they are still wishing the departed a happy Mother’s Day. I don’t take a photo as it feels like an intrusion into someone’s recent grief.

I continue thoughtfully on my way. There are more cyclists about now. Two roadies overtake me after we have negotiated a group of walkers and dogs, with a “Thanks, buddy”.

Another bike appears in the distance and rapidly approaches, coming uphill. First I see the rider is not pedalling, then I see there are no pedals, then I see it’s all black. It’s obviously an electric moped or motorbike. As he goes by I say, “you’re gonna get done!” I doubt that he heard me. It’s most likely one of the bikes I saw earlier.

I carry on, down the slope to Grange Lane. Down the dip, up the gradual slope on the other side, then across the sports centre car park. I hear a small boy wailing for his mum and come across him sitting on the path by the kids’ playground with his shoe off, holding his foot. I say, “Hello, have you fallen over? He stops wailing to watch me go by then when I turn the corner out of sight starts again. “Mummy, where are you?” sounding more cross now. Plenty of people about, I’m sure he’ll survive.

I’m following the path towards the dreaded “A” frame barrier which I haven’t done battle with yet this year.

A dog walker pulls his two dogs towards him as I go by and says, “Are you going to get up that hill?” “I don’t know, I’m not feeling very fit” I reply.

Still, after wriggling through the barrier, I just get on and ride up it, not even needing to change to low gear on the hub gear. Quite gratifying, actually. I’m not such a wreck as I thought.

Out on to the estate road, left on to Delamere St and then right on to Woodford Lane after an obliging motorist flashes to let me through rather than let me be stuck between two lanes of traffic going in opposite directions. I don’t even have to stop and put a foot down. Either a) people are just nicer than you might expect or b) it’s the recumbent factor and he wanted to see the bike go past.

Left at the end of Woodford Lane then across the A54 at a cycle/pedestrian crossing point. A long downhill along an estate road then a slightly undulating route to my back gate.

Felt pretty good on getting home. I'm hoping that the forecast cold spell is not severe enough to stop me getting out again soon.

Total Ascent:​
411​
ft​
11.9 m​
Total Descent:
412​
ft​
139 ft​
Start Elevation:
188​
ft​
End Elevation:
188​
ft​
Min Elevation:
119​
ft​
Max Elevation:
277​
ft​
14.68 miles according to BikeHike. 56ft per mile ascent approx.

Cavalol

Guru
Bit of an almost nervy couple of rides today, the bike is jumping and skipping gears. Appreciate an Italian bike should have Campag blah, blah blah, but I can't get on with it, so it's getting junked in favour of 105. Despite the aforementioned problems I still managed to card a PB on a rough-ish road to the river, and was happy just to have made it up Dee Hill climb without breaking anything or stopping!

1648558910295.png

1648558959171.png

Herons on the weir (excuse rubbish photograph)

1648559012163.png

1648559031564.png

and, something I've only noticed in the last couple of years, cormorants. Sometimes they can be seen near the bend (by the sewage works) too, as well as the back of the race course.

1648559225951.png

1648559341525.png

Not broken any distance records, but a lovely day to be out and about and rubbish weather forecast for tomorrow and Thursday.

GuyBoden

Guru
Bit of an almost nervy couple of rides today, the bike is jumping and skipping gears. Appreciate an Italian bike should have Campag blah, blah blah, but I can't get on with it, so it's getting junked in favour of 105. Despite the aforementioned problems I still managed to card a PB on a rough-ish road to the river, and was happy just to have made it up Dee Hill climb without breaking anything or stopping!

View attachment 637625
View attachment 637626

Herons on the weir (excuse rubbish photograph)

View attachment 637627
View attachment 637628

and, something I've only noticed in the last couple of years, cormorants. Sometimes they can be seen near the bend (by the sewage works) too, as well as the back of the race course.

View attachment 637629

View attachment 637630

Not broken any distance records, but a lovely day to be out and about and rubbish weather forecast for tomorrow and Thursday.
Nice photos, I've not ridden to Chester for a while, looks nice, some of the cobbles near the river are a bit jarring. :okay:

Top Bottom