Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A couple of days rides on my Tricross to mention. I’m still struggling after Covid three weeks ago, Zero energy.
Tuesday’s commute of 6.7 miles with an average of 15.5 mph followed by an extended ride home of 32 miles with an average of 15.3 mph.
Wednesday’s commute of 6.7 miles with an average of 15.3 mph followed by an extended ride home 28 miles with an average of 14.6 mph.
A warm one yesterday afternoon especially with a backpack!

60137C94-F544-4C73-A6CF-4678CE3058B0.jpeg

648FF5F6-AE97-4059-ABF2-1746D670F7A0.jpeg

169F7555-A7AF-4DB1-B035-C818661F7EE9.jpeg

C5377A70-62EA-47F6-8252-4E6BA8F08FE2.jpeg

buzz22

Über Member
A couple of days rides on my Tricross to mention. I’m still struggling after Covid three weeks ago, Zero energy.
Tuesday’s commute of 6.7 miles with an average of 15.5 mph followed by an extended ride home of 32 miles with an average of 15.3 mph.
Wednesday’s commute of 6.7 miles with an average of 15.3 mph followed by an extended ride home 28 miles with an average of 14.6 mph.
A warm one yesterday afternoon especially with a backpack!

View attachment 656740

View attachment 656741

View attachment 656742

View attachment 656743

Beautiful photos

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I love tow path riding these days, so relaxing, even with the 'technical' bits under low bridges.
I had to hop off quickly when a young chap fell of his paddle board near Llangollen the other week, no harm done, but i thought he had hit his head on the side. Sheepish smile from him as I handed his paddle back, no harm done.
Maybe it's down to the gentle pace of the narrow boats and no cars and lorries whooshing past that makes it so relaxing?
Good work!

Tbh what passes for a tow path round here varies massively. In and around the city they're typically well-paved and a pleasure to ride on; out in the sticks they vary from acceptable to un-maintained and dangerous; narrow, overgrown with many hidden obstacles and collapsed sections that'd have you in the canal if you're not paying attention :rolleyes:

In principal I think the good ones appeal for many reasons - no traffic danger or noise, close proximity of nature, flatness that allows you to maintain a leisurely speed without putting in much effort.. :smile:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Been off the bike for a few days with some minor health issues but felt better today so decided to test my fitness with a short ride. Went up the Lune Valley then over to Burton in Kendal, Milnthorpe and had a lunch in Arnside. Was amused watching two policemen helping a third to parallel park outside the cafe, like a scene from Hot Fuzz! Hot day so happy with 63 km or 39 miles and just 590m of climbing.

Too hot to stop so just one pic of Lune Valley.

21A0BDBC-332E-4634-B50F-917020E0CC36.jpeg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Went out about 8.30 with no particular plan as the legs were tired after 2 days riding and weights so i ended up at Newlands farm coffee shop at Hilton after about 26 miles and i was glad they had an air con unit as it was hot already .
On the way home i had only done another 7-8 miles and i had to stop in the shade as i was panting and i could feel my heat rate was high for the effort i could manage .I got within a mile of home on the last incline and i had to get off as my hamstring had cramped up so i had to wait till it had calmed down before i could manage the last bit .
just under 39 miles today so i have decided to give the legs a break tomorrow and no club runs over the weekend due to the heat so it will be a solo ride sat early before it gets too silly

Same circular ride as yesterday as today so just one write up (changed directions for them though!). 15 miles or so, mixture of quietish roads and rail trails. The heat today was oppresive (I was out in the afternoon) and I often do rides near historic things but seldom stop and properly read them, changed that today as it was in the shade lol

This info board about the Luddite Movement of the 19th century, text is a bit small but it tells the tales of a succesful raid on machinery being delivered. But also not so successful raid on a mill which resulted in 2 deaths of the luddites, they actually died at a pub nearby which has a little blue plaque commemorating them.

IMG-20220811-152909-696.jpg

Landsurfer

Veteran
The Stupid are out in force in the Penzance area.....
3 bins burnt out at Wherrytown, Penzance and Marizion by idiots putting their discarded barbecues in them !!!
I’ve not got any pics as the phone has gone flat but you can imagine the effect on the mostly plastic bins.
Anywayup ... usual Tour de Mounts Bay this morning .......
Julie and are having an afternoon on public transport .. train from Redruth to Penzance then Bus on the coastal trail to Lands End and back ... then, somewhere nice for tea ... without children of any age !!
Road tyres for the TREK have arrived and will be fitted next week, 29 x 1.5 Vittoria’s. That should cut down the road hum a bit ..

20220812_075729.jpg

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
On the morning coffee ride to the Vendée coast this was outside the café; an adult pedal-car used by an elderly gentleman who was in the café for a coffee and croissant.

He's been there a few times but this was the first time I got a photo:

PXL_20220812_055039632.jpg

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
A pass out from work having been obtained, set off early for a tour of the Peak with a friend, who navigated the whole day from memory.

I thought I knew the Peak pretty well, but I'm not going to lie, half the time I had no clue where we were.

Anyway, a few highlights: Climb from Macclesfield up Ridge Hill for glorious views, Gun Hill, Morridge, Manifold Valley then first cake at Wetton, and bottle refills, already very hot at 10.30.

On to Milldale alongside the river Dove:
20220812_105722.jpg

then Tissington and the ford:

20220812_112213.jpg

followed by Youlgreave, Conksbury, Bakewell, Baslow and lunch in Calver.

65 miles done, it felt like the back of the ride was broken, and the hardest behind us. Wrong.

Next, Eyam, and the wonderful climb up and views from Eyam Edge. Down through Bradwell to Hope, up Edale and second cake stop at the Cafe.

Mam Nick in close to 30 degree heat was then conquered, and a much welcomed tail wind hurried us along Rushup Edge, followed by the arrow like descent to Chapel.

Incredibly, unfairly, unreasonably and outrageously, my friend then took a detour, 90 miles in (!), up the sharp climb of Eccles Pike, a great viewpoint showing just how empty Coombes reservoir was, the dinghies seeking about to run aground at any moment.

20220812_164830.jpg

The final hard and monotonous climb from Whaley to Charles head was duly suffered, then the downhill run in home.

107 miles, 3300m climbing, estimated 8 litres of water consumed.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
club ride today as i was free on a saturday and the legs felt a bit better
massive turn out 4 groups in total to various cafes , we went to whiteacre hall then after we got back to the meeting point we reconvened at the local bistro for a well earned pint :smile:
metric century for me at just under 17 mph avg which i can live with especially after going up boot hill in atherstone :smile:
1660395169286.png

geocycle

Legendary Member
Very hot day so careful ride planning needed. An early start was essential so up and out just after 6 am. Headed toward the Dales and through Ingleton. The ride felt it began here after the familiar lanes. Took advantage of the early hour to ride the main Hawes road past White Scar Caves, Ribblehead where big groups of Three Peaks walkers assembled and then Newby Head. Lovely view into Wensleydale. Turned off through Appersett before I got to Hawes and picked up the road through Garsdale. I figured the treeless karst country needed doing before it got really hot and then the perpetually ’chilly’ Garsdale. Enjoyed views to Mallerstang and the eastern aspect of the Howegill fells. Stopped at a nice gallery with a tea room at Fairfield before taking the very tiny road that skirts Sedbergh. Stopped in Kirby Lonsdale for huge ice cream then home along the relatively shady dark side of the Lune. 121 km or 75 miles with 1400 m of climbing.

pictures of view from Newby Head to Wensleydale, Howgills, bike on a narrow bridge and a small disused

6F4EC44C-C33A-4275-A3BF-A20E598589B6.jpeg

7D243A54-53CE-444F-B219-398B318C3AFE.jpeg

05D5D385-4AD3-4555-B308-E7EA9B2224BD.jpeg

8DBF4921-C9CE-4CBC-91A3-F93834ECBF4F.jpeg
viaduct in Garsdale.

Top Bottom