Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
This morning I have nearly cycled Africa. Should have gone west a few more miles!!

Screenshot_20221220-140104.png

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I had a hospital appointment this morning, then I planned to do my tax return. Lisa said “why don’t you go on your bike, the weather is good “

So, 17 miles of lanes and bridleway in watery sunshine. After the weekend rain the going was soft
BB2E2FA9-8FBE-4DF4-A3E9-4595A2C8F6F3.jpeg

31B06EB6-0FD7-4CF0-B994-6A4592D1C9E3.jpeg

9CD9CA19-2690-4F59-BC38-4D692B0309D8.jpeg

It was still colourful through Flete with the beech leaves.

Tax return? I’ll do it later….

https://www.strava.com/activities/8270885382

gavgav

Guru
My first ride in exactly a month, this evening! Firstly I came down with Covid, testing positive the morning after my last ride and was rough for a couple of weeks, then the ice age hit and I didn’t risk cycling in those conditions.

I was so glad to be able to arrange a ride with @Rickshaw Phil to start building things up again. Afternoon showers went through, that weren’t forecast, but they’d finished by the time we met nearby.

Only a short leisurely ride through Town was the aim, so we went through Sutton Farm and Reabrook, before following the cycle paths up Bage Way. Approaching a junction, I heard a clunk and then had a sound of something catching on the front wheel. We paused and couldn’t find anything obvious, tried a few things with the reflector but upon setting off again I could still hear the noise…..

We turned down the off road path to Castlefields and paused for another look at the front wheel. I asked Phil if he’d got a screwdriver handy, so I could have a furtle under the mudguard and whilst doing so I found the issue….the rivets had sheared off and so the metal frame of the guard was sat on the tyre!!

Phil is always well equipped with all manner of tools and so he began trying to remove the rivets, which was a challenge in the dark, using a torch. We were then approached by a very friendly resident who offered us to bring the bikes down the side of her house and she’d put the outside light on for us. It was a very nice and much welcomed gesture from her. Phil managed to eventually prise the rivets out and rig up a fix with a cable tie, which worked perfectly after a bit of adjustment 👍🏻

We set out on our way again, down to the towpath and alongside the brown and quite swollen River Severn. I’d imagine snow melt from Wales is causing some of that.

The Quarry was fairly quiet, other than a few people walking and we then crossed the recently refurbished Porthill suspension bridge. We were impressed with the new anti slip surface that had been put down, replacing the old wooden section and rather fragile feeling walkway, which felt much more secure and stable.

We then climbed up through Porthill and along the cycle paths to Shelton, dodging the many branches that had been brought down in yesterdays wind. Next was the road through the estate at Bowbrook, where we went through temporary lights for some works, complete with boards down to “protect” road users from the hole across the road…..other than the gap in them that left just enough room for a bike wheel to drop into the hole! Luckily we spotted that and avoided it.

We joined Mousecroft Lane and then on to Nobold, where they have finally done some MUCH needed road repairs on the craters, but leaving a few as they always do to keep you on your toes 🤷‍♂️

The final section was through Meole village, where the Christmas lights were looking good on a number of houses and one lit up like Blackpool Illuminations! Phil stopped to take a photo and I’m sure he’ll post it. I wouldn’t want their electric bill 😬

We parted ways and I headed home with 12.78 miles on the clock, at a very steady 10.5mph avg.

I’d took it gently, on purpose, knowing how bad I felt with Covid, but I was fine and both energy and breathing were good, so just need to build the strength up again now.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday: As @gavgav as reported we got out for an evening tour around town. The showers that went through in the afternoon fortunately didn't have any more friends following so we stayed dry. Shortly after I'd set out to meet Gav I noticed that my speedometer wasn't reading after changing the wheels back to the set with Marathons on. A pause for adjustment and to clean the contacts (the bike was already out when the rain went through) seemed to sort it so I carried on. I had a few other hold ups on the way so Gav was already there when I arrived.

As he has said, it was a pleasant ride until Bage Way where the clunk and an odd clicking noise started. The cause wasn't obvious so after poking round for a while and being none-the-wiser we decided to carry on and see how it went. Gav found the cause at our next stop and it really surprised me that the rivets had pulled out of the stays. I'd expect better from a set of SKS guards that are only a couple of years old. After much faff to get the remaining bits of the rivets out of the guards I was able to fix it with a cable tie and all was good again after a bit of adjustment. Many thanks to the householder who let us fix it under their outside light - it made it a bit easier than trying with a head torch alone.

Gav has covered the rest of the ride well apart from the unusual number of times we encountered the smell of cannabis. Somewhere around Bowbrook I noticed that the reading on my speedometer was dropping out at random intervals - After the ride I repositioned the magnet and cleaned the contacts properly with some electrolube.

For what it's worth, the recorded mileage was 14.2 at 9.8 mph average. I think I've lost about a mile along the way due to the fault.

20221220_181024_LLS.jpg

The house at Meole that Gav mentioned. They've had a good display of lights before but seemed to have even more this year.

--------------------------------

Today: With the day being bright and sunny I thought I'd make the most of the afternoon to do a longer ride. The forecast did mention the possibility of showers again but I was hopeful they would be short lived like yesterday. The ambulance strike was a consideration and I thought my route to Upton Magna, Walcot, Cressage, Acton Burnell and back would be good as the vast majority is on quieter roads.

Setting out, I had a decent run to Condover then enjoyed a tailwind along Lyon's Lane. At Berrington I could see that there were showers to the north of me but they didn't look like a threat given the direction they were headed. I waited patiently for a motorist to pass on the way to Cross Houses - he wouldn't even make eye contact with me, let alone say thankyou - manners don't cost anything you know mate!

The wind carried on helping to Atcham then on to Upton Magna (a few light spots of rain from the shower I'd been following but it didn't last long), then got even better on the way through Withington as I headed for Walcot. A couple of polite drivers made up for the earlier one.^_^

I had to turn back into the wind sometime and that was along Bluebell Lane, although it didn't seem too bad and I was able to plod along steadily. The road at Uppington was pretty muddy for a stretch then back to being wet on the way to Eaton Constantine. I noticed the wind more on the descents this time where the bike wouldn't get up to the sort of speed it usually would. At Cressage there was a bit of a wait to cross the A458 - the traffic had been pretty light until now.

I'd seen another big shower rolling in as I approached Cressage and had really hoped it would miss me to the north again, but as I got to the top of the climb of Shore Lane it started to rain and not long after that got heavier so I stopped to put on my rain cape. Headed for Cound Moor the rain just kept getting heavier and there didn't appear to be any sign of it blowing over quickly. After Acton Burnell I realised that one of the times I had stood up to climb, the back of the cape had snagged so that the water running off it had soaked my trousers and underwear- that was quite miserable.:sad:

The heavy rain started to ease after Frodesley and by Longnor had stopped so I was able to take off the cape and, being unwilling to put it back wet into my bag, managed to rig up a way to lash it to the rack. I wasn't sure how long the dry interlude would last so made a dash for home, thankfully with the wind at my back again. Seeing another rider ahead after Ryton spurred me on - I was catching up but he turned off at Condover before I was close. In the time since I'd been here earlier a set of temporary traffic lights had appeared. I managed to catch them on green which was good as they were 3 way lights which I know tend to stay on red for ages.

While leaving Condover I got overtaken by a convoy of five RAC vans - seems odd - perhaps they'd been attending a training course somewhere locally. A little further up the road a lorry overtook - I thought he was leaving it a bit late with a car coming the other way, then realised that a van had decided to follow through:eek:. I did not appreciate being squeezed into the side of the road when they realised there wasn't room.:angry: (Vauxhall Movano van liveried for Tipples, a local mobile bar and catering company) To add insult to injury (thankfully only metaphorically), the rain was back - I was damp anyway so decided to just press on the last couple of miles.

34.2 miles at 13.4 mph average (the speedo is working fine again). I enjoyed the first half of the ride. The second half I think you could call "character building".:whistle:

20221221_132921_Richtone(HDR).jpg

En route to Atcham.

20221221_134207.jpg

I'm still chasing rainbows on the way to Withington. At this point I'm not worried as all the rain is going away from me.

20221221_140831.jpg

The view of the Wrekin just after Uppington.

20221221_151124_Richtone(HDR).jpg

I've had several very wet miles but the sun is shining on me again as I approach Longnor.

20221221_152530.jpg

The usual view to the Stretton hills from Ryton. There is more rain cloud rolling in on the right of shot though.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Like most folk I’ve had an ice and bad weather interruption that curtailed my cycling. Managed to get out today for the first time since the beginning of the month. Was a bit wet but temperatures above 6 degrees and no wind so made the most of the opportunity. Wended my way north roughly along the course Lancaster canal emerging at Farleton. I skirted Farleton fell to Old Hutton where the main climb of the day care. I passed the wind turbines as the rain returned. My plan was to take refuge at Kitridding farm shop only to find the cafe shut and the staff doling out enormous cuts of festive meats instead. So continued into Kirby Lonsdale which was bustling with its market. Managed to pick up some Christmas presents and then scurried home. 52 miles or 83 km with just 850 m of climbing. Enough for the shortest days of the year.

Bike crossing canal at Farleton.

D187D415-D73B-4355-B946-3B24C86A8422.jpeg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Being a glutton for punishment I tried for another ride today. I wasn't sure that I trusted the forecast of a dry afternoon but checking the rainfall radar before I set out it appeared that although there were showers about, they seemed to be breaking up. I thought I'd have another try at the Wilderley and Pulverbatch route as this has several options to shorten it if needed.

It was the usual main road route to Condover then to Ryton where I joined the lane to Longnor, which seemed muddier than it had been yesterday. Following the old Roman road to Hollyhurst I had it all to myself unlike last time I rode this way. This too was pretty mucky and most of the roads after this were the same. I had a good gap to cross the A49 headed for Dudgeley. The cloud was hanging very low round the hills here and I thought I'd probably be climbing into it later.

I only saw a couple of cars on the way to Smethcott, which was good. Less good was seeing a rainbow again and sure enough it started to drizzle as I made my way up the climb. I considered heading down to Dorrington to shorten the ride but thought I'd press on a little further to Wilderley and see how it went. The drizzle was just as bad here so I turned down the lane towards Moat then Stapleton. With the roads and my brakes being thoroughly wet I was quite glad not to meet any vehicles on this descent until it got wide enough to pass easily. There was a chap on an electric mobility scooter too - you don't see too many of those this far from town.

By Stapleton the drizzle had stopped and there was even blue sky visible ahead of me so I thought I'd head back the more scenic way by heading to Exford's Green then climb over Lyth Hill. Turning towards the hill there were a couple of cyclists behind me when I did my shoulder check - the first I'd seen this ride, although I'd been following tracks for while near to Leebotwood so I knew I wasn't the only one out. On the steep bit of the climb at Lyth Bank I had a van squeeze past where it was a bit on the narrow side - would have been nice if he could have waited just a few seconds for a better spot.

At the top of Lyth Hill the light on the showers rolling across the countryside made for a great view. To the west there was more dark cloud rolling in so I didn't hang about and bumped my way along the rough track to head for home.

24.6 miles at 11.9 mph average. Nice to get out. Could have done without getting wet again. The bike will want a really good clean in the not too distant future.

20221222_132251_Richtone(HDR).jpg

At Ryton looking towards the Stretton Hills which can only just be made out as they are hiding under cloud.

20221222_135631.jpg

Just after crossing the A49 for the second time. Caer Caradoc is the backdrop.

20221222_142514.jpg

Looking down the road to Dorrington. It's as wet as it looks by this point.

20221222_144913.jpg

After Stapleton. The drizzle has stopped and the sun is trying to break through again.

20221222_150441_Richtone(HDR).jpg

From Lyth Hill, the afternoon sun gives a glow to the showers rolling across the landscape.

Mike_P

Guru
Not having been out on a bike for two weeks and two days I saw a chance on the rain radar for an ebiked trip to Knaresborough for some Christmas shopping (sugar free chocolates) and to deliver a Christmas Card.
Transpired to be a faulty indication with
the initial drizzle turning denser by the time I thrashed the ebike up Castle Ings.
Shopping done and delivered the card by which time it was back to drizzly. That however quickly turned to rain and I cancelled a plan to call in at Aldi in favour of quickly having a warm shower as I was completely sodden. 13.67 miles 873ft of elevation.

Last edited:

galaxy

Veteran
Had another 2 cards to deliver. So we took the bikes. Only 6 Smiles but very enjoyable. Also feels good knowing you have left the Car behind.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Nice work folks - some crackers as always :smile:

I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one who's had a bit of time off; having not been out for probably pushing a month now.. due mainly to the weather and to a lesser extent work, personal circumstances etc.

The plan for today was a possible supermarket trip to collect non-festive provisions for my now-customary solitary holiday experience.. I had a mate popping round at lunchtime to pick up some stuff and planned to go out afterwards, as the weather in the morning was meant to be wet.

Once the morning had actually arrived it seemed pretty tolerable outside and I figured it was worth popping down the road prior to mate's arrival to try and source some eggs, so dragged the Fuji out of the shed. I was rewarded with two boxes (snaffled the lot as I'm getting through them at a fair rate and probably won't get the opportunity of more for a good few days).

As usual it felt great to get out; surprisingly temperate with a base layer and thin gloves being perfectly adequate. Eggs scored I decided to push the ride out a bit into a shortish loop. Sadly there was a lot of traffic about and I suffered an enormous amount of knobheads passing within inches.. I also encountered one other cyclist; a road-biker who for whatever reason seemed unable to reciprocate my greeting as we passed.. I think I might start abusing the similarly-ignorant in future.

There had clearly been a lot of rain overnight and consequently a lot of standing water on the roads. I tried to avoid it if possible, however ploughing through some was inevitable and I was once more super-impressed by the ability of the Longboards to prevent the bike and I getting soaked. The gears on the Fuji seemed a bit more temperamental than usual and I'd starting to wonder if cassette wear is responsible for the ghost shifting..

All in all a smallish loop of a little over 14 miles and allegedly only 600ft at 13.2mph and 140bpm. Thankfully the weather stayed dry and I'm very pleased to have got out as it's now drizzling outside.

Might chance a supermarket run tomorrow (although I suspect it'll be utterly horrible in there) and would also like to get out on Christmas day to hopefully enjoy the quiet roads, but we'll have to play that one by ear...

footloose crow

Über Member
23 Dec: Muddy lanes and heavy showers

Normally I look at the weather forecast before heading out. But it was 1pm on one of the shortest days of the year and my wife had just nodded her assent that all scheduled jobs had been completed to her satisfaction, so like a small child released from school I headed to the shed to find my bike. The sun was out. The sky was mainly blue but the hills around the house hide most of the horizon. It was not even cold - it has been 12c most days recently. More normal Cornish winter weather. What could go wrong?

I was fooled. As soon as I crested the steep lane leading from the house I could see the sky darkening, grey then black and a wind that had been hidden in the hollow grabbed the bike as soon as the hedge dropped away. So my plan for a forty miler became a twenty miler instead. The rain drops hit hard and quite soon the sunglasses (foolish boy; but it had been bright!) were off and the damp was getting beneath my jersey. No rain gear. I always forget to bring a coat on the days it rains and voice versa.

DSC00184.jpeg

DSC00189.jpeg

Out of Truro and along deep set, muddy lanes, inches thick in old leaves and soil washed from the fields. Braking carefully and exploring corners gingerly has been my de facto riding style since coming off the bike last week. Lane wide puddles that hide deep potholes are a particular hazard. The cold weather earlier this month and the heavy rains from the last week have ripped up the road surface, again.

The lanes lead out to the central hill spine that runs the length of Cornwall and here the new A30 is being built parallel to the existing single lane A30 that becomes a car park every summer Friday and Saturday. The new road is still just a great muddy scar across the landscape that has pretty much blocked all the quiet lanes that used to cross the current A30 and give access to the north coast. So no choice here, creep along an old farm lane with the new road scar on my left until I can get onto the 'praries' above Trispen. Someone described this area of high, smooth hills, ploughed but not hedged and with just a remnant tree on the horizon as being like the Praries. I can see how it got its nickname.

The rain now is sideways and hurting my face. The bike is muddy as are my lower legs. The chain is creaking and there is a continual scrape from the mudguards which have jammed up with twigs and leaves and sticky wet soil. I always tell myself its all downhill from here but of course it isn't . The lane is steep in places and I am braking cautiously on the downhills because this is the place I broke my collarbone three years ago. An oncoming tractor is only visible in the murk by its flashing light and I wait at the side of the lane to let it past.

But I just need to keep turning the pedals, the rain eases and the lane joins the A390 and back into civilisation again. Cars and vans hiss past in a burst of spray but I can't get any wetter. Luckily this isn't a long ride and a hot shower waits. I forget it is nearly Christmas and take a short cut through Waitrose car park and get snarled up in cars queuing to get in, queuing to get out, nobody looking happy. Out through the pedestrian exit at the back and onto the quiet lanes again.

DSC00192.jpeg

Cornwall in winter: you can always get out for a ride but you will need a jet wash for the bike. By the time I got to the lane leading back home the rain had stopped and the sky was an innocent blue once more.

20 miles, 1600 feet, 12 mph average. I fear I am getting slower every week.

DSC00195.jpeg

We keep a welcome in the hillsides......

a.twiddler

Veteran
23 Dec: Muddy lanes and heavy showers

Normally I look at the weather forecast before heading out. But it was 1pm on one of the shortest days of the year and my wife had just nodded her assent that all scheduled jobs had been completed to her satisfaction, so like a small child released from school I headed to the shed to find my bike. The sun was out. The sky was mainly blue but the hills around the house hide most of the horizon. It was not even cold - it has been 12c most days recently. More normal Cornish winter weather. What could go wrong?

I was fooled. As soon as I crested the steep lane leading from the house I could see the sky darkening, grey then black and a wind that had been hidden in the hollow grabbed the bike as soon as the hedge dropped away. So my plan for a forty miler became a twenty miler instead. The rain drops hit hard and quite soon the sunglasses (foolish boy; but it had been bright!) were off and the damp was getting beneath my jersey. No rain gear. I always forget to bring a coat on the days it rains and voice versa.

View attachment 672058

View attachment 672059

Out of Truro and along deep set, muddy lanes, inches thick in old leaves and soil washed from the fields. Braking carefully and exploring corners gingerly has been my de facto riding style since coming off the bike last week. Lane wide puddles that hide deep potholes are a particular hazard. The cold weather earlier this month and the heavy rains from the last week have ripped up the road surface, again.

The lanes lead out to the central hill spine that runs the length of Cornwall and here the new A30 is being built parallel to the existing single lane A30 that becomes a car park every summer Friday and Saturday. The new road is still just a great muddy scar across the landscape that has pretty much blocked all the quiet lanes that used to cross the current A30 and give access to the north coast. So no choice here, creep along an old farm lane with the new road scar on my left until I can get onto the 'praries' above Trispen. Someone described this area of high, smooth hills, ploughed but not hedged and with just a remnant tree on the horizon as being like the Praries. I can see how it got its nickname.

The rain now is sideways and hurting my face. The bike is muddy as are my lower legs. The chain is creaking and there is a continual scrape from the mudguards which have jammed up with twigs and leaves and sticky wet soil. I always tell myself its all downhill from here but of course it isn't . The lane is steep in places and I am braking cautiously on the downhills because this is the place I broke my collarbone three years ago. An oncoming tractor is only visible in the murk by its flashing light and I wait at the side of the lane to let it past.

But I just need to keep turning the pedals, the rain eases and the lane joins the A390 and back into civilisation again. Cars and vans hiss past in a burst of spray but I can't get any wetter. Luckily this isn't a long ride and a hot shower waits. I forget it is nearly Christmas and take a short cut through Waitrose car park and get snarled up in cars queuing to get in, queuing to get out, nobody looking happy. Out through the pedestrian exit at the back and onto the quiet lanes again.

View attachment 672061

Cornwall in winter: you can always get out for a ride but you will need a jet wash for the bike. By the time I got to the lane leading back home the rain had stopped and the sky was an innocent blue once more.

20 miles, 1600 feet, 12 mph average. I fear I am getting slower every week.

View attachment 672062
We keep a welcome in the hillsides......

Very evocative. I could almost hear the mud scraping in my mudguards and the squelching of waterlogged socks in my shoes.

As I tend to be a mix of flat pedals, flat bars, skinny wheels and Lycra, no one knows what the hell to make of me. If someone greets, fine. If not, fine. If I have the breath to do so, I usually do.

To swerve back on topic, I've not ridden for many weeks due to weather, temperatures, and general life. I intend to get at least a ride or two regardless, before the surgery-enforced layoff fast approaching. Assuming it's not canceled!

Thursday:

• Cycled to apartment from work. Realised I'd probably left the workshop heater on, again.
  • Cycled back to work.
  • Switched off heater.
  • Cycled back to apartment

Yesterday:

• Cycled back from work, mad packing for Christmas holidays,
  • 20 minutes later rode a screamer of a ride with Elder Son to get to railway station in time for train.
  • Made it with five minutes to spare
  • Steamed quietly all the way to Stuttgart, cycled the last bit to village in pishing rain.

Today:
  • Realised it's Christmas Eve so all shops close at midday because Germany is weird like that.
  • Empty panniers I'd packed packed yesterday onto bed by tipping them upside down and shaking.
  • Race up to village for Christmas shopping: Legs used to flat Rhine plain complain at sudden reintroduction to hills.
  • Fill panniers again.
  • Ride back, thankful I live lower than shops.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I was free in the morning for once so took the opportunity to get a ride in while it's dry. Out to Condover, Atcham, Upton Magna then back through the centre of Shrewsbury.

I thought I'd head over Lyth Hill to start with as I've used the main road route a fair few times lately. The views were nice with the sun low in the sky, then when I got to the A49 it wasn't nearly as busy as I thought it might be.

Lyon's Lane was good with the wind behind me. There were more people out walking or running than cars this time. The next main road at Cross Houses was also quite quiet, which was great. A nice van driver stopped to allow me past on the way to Atcham, even though they didn't really need to. I did have to wait a little while for traffic at Atcham, a lot of which seemed to be headed for Attingham Park. I was really lucky to get a lull in the traffic as I headed up the driver to the house - after I'd stopped for photos there was another rush and I suspect that they will have a bumper load of visitors today.

Rejoining the road I headed through Berwick Wharf to Upton Magna. There were a few cyclists out and I wondered if there would be a lot at the cafe at The Haughmond Inn, but I didn't spot any bikes outside this time. Maybe a bit early for a cafe stop?

On the way to Uffington there seemed to be shower cloud marching across the scenery on the western side of Shrewsbury. I wasn't too worried as I was fairly sure that would miss me but it didn't tally with the forecast I'd checked before setting out. The old canal path was busy with people and dogs out walking. The one dog looked ever so pleased to see me as he came charging into my path :laugh: - I was ready for it so slowing to a stand was no bother.

After heading along Sydney Avenue and the weir I found the river towpath similarly busy but with more cyclists added in. I was planning to head up St. Mary's Water Lane (got a "Well done" off a passer by as I crested the steepest bit), then into the town centre which was fairly busy.

After a bit of a tour round the centre I headed through The Quarry (again, lots of people out enjoying a stroll or a cycle) and left town over the English Bridge and along the cycle route through Sutton. I thought that the trading estate at Meole Brace might be particularly busy today but, when I passed, it didn't look much different to a typical Saturday.

23.3 miles at 11.8 mph average. Nice to get out and enjoy the morning.^_^

20221224_094100_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The view from Lyth Hill.

20221224_101445_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The old bridge at Atcham.

20221224_101656_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The gates to Attingham Park.

20221224_102120.jpg

Up at the hall.

20221224_110525_Richtone(HDR).jpg

At the Square in Shrewsbury.

20221224_111055_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Being Christmas Eve I had to get this photo.:whistle: In the graveyard at St. Chads.

20221224_111918.jpg

St. Chad's viewed from The Quarry.

Top Bottom