Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
The weather has finally relented and ai was able to get the first substantial ride of 2024 done. The forecast promised light winds and zero % chance of rain, I was a tad miffed to spend the first hour or so in heavy drizzle but continued with a planned ride to the dales. I took a circuitous route out, crossing the Lune at Gressingham then eastward to Wray and Bentham. Was pleased to see all the rivers were more or less within their banks and Ingleborough appeared through the cloud. Bentham became Ingleton and then the old road to Clapham. I stopped by the waterfall and enjoyed the coffee I’d carried with me. Next was Austwick and the backroad to Settle, stopping only to admire Penyghent. The Naked Man served lunch then home via Keasden. Counted 6 Kestrels on the way back and a flock of 20 or more Siskin. 101 km with 1224 m of climbing.

pictures of River Lune from Gressingham, Clapham waterfall and Penyghent.

IMG_0406.jpeg

IMG_0408.jpeg

IMG_0409.jpeg

First gravel bike ride of the year. I took tracks out of town to Blairhall where I cut down to Preston Island
( Preston Island | Canmore ) and then along the coastal path to Culross. Bizarrely the gps route I was following updated, the timer progressed, the distance progressed but the garmin never laid down a track. Annoyingly I was wanting a couple of velo viewer squares there. The straight line in my route map was more like this:

image1786×1116 106 KB

From Culross I headed along the coastal path to Kincardine then into Tulliallan and the Devilla Forest. I think I could have bypassed the Police College barriers and no entry signs but I wasn’t sure so I followed the public path to the Tulliallan Golf Course which actually led be back in the end through the Police College grounds and there was plenty of signs about keeping you dog on a leash (public access). After exploring the forest I came back along the West Fife cycleway to town.

Preston Island (I was there!)

Devilla

The clouds finally rose on the return and it was blue skies but I forgot to take more pics.

Out of 40 odd miles I suspect only 2-3 were on road :okay:

Today’s ride was the evidence that yesterdays clouds burnt off letting the temperatures plummet for today’s club run. The garmin recorded -4deg C (likely wind chill).

Given the temperature the club run kept to main roads and entered the cafe on roads to the west.

The Ochil’s were looking rather splendid at the cafe stop.

After the cafe stop the lowest temp I saw was -1.6deg c but I was glad a group of us decided to up the pace and climbing going up to Yetts of Muckhart over the Knockhill main road.

Alex321

Veteran
I've only gone and done it again :sad:

Back on the bike for a fortnight after coming off a fortnight before Christmas, and I came off again today, bruising my right shoulder badly (typing this left handed).

I was planning on picking up A-F in the A-Z of pubs and cafes. Reached the Bush Inn, and noticed a road heading off round the back, thought to try it, see where it went.

Quite a long narrow downhill (with grass/moss in the middle), I was taking it steady, but I hit some sort of lump I didn't see, which jarred the front wheel enough for me to lose grip on the handlebars. Turns out the road didn't even go anywhere useful. At the bottom, there wa a gateway with a sign saying "New Beaupre. Private property. No public access.

Not sure what I hit, but walking back up, I did notice a couple of unmarked sleeping policemen, that I only just saw when walking.

The ride home from there was slow and painful, and the right arm is now in a sling.

a.twiddler

Veteran
6/1/24
Unexpected Off Roading

A cold but sunny day. Things to do this morning as usual but got myself sorted for a ride this pm. I’d noticed a slight tapping over bumps last time out on the Linear, which was irritating as it’s usually so quiet.

I traced it to the handlebar end of the steering rod which I cleaned up and regreased, which quietened it down a bit.

Anyway, usual general purpose nondescript trousers and shoes, military pullover, gilet and cap. I considered wearing some gloves as it was not that warm but decided to live dangerously and wear my track mitts. Out through the gate.

Needless to say, the familiar Linear fits like a glove, everything in its place. I didn’t even have to adjust the mirror today. Right towards Swanlow Lane and the uphill traffic lights which are not the obstacle nowadays that they were when I first rode this lengthy beast. Right at the traffic lights, down a long hill then left before reaching the end. I took a shortcut along a path behind the leisure centre and came out at the entrance to a supermarket car park. Across the car park then chained up to a pillar while I went into the local Argos to pick up a click and collect item.
P1020911.JPG

Out again fairly quickly, unchained, and set off again across the car park. Left at the exit roundabout, left again to some traffic lights at the A54. Straight across then sharp right into a cycle track and on to the old High St. Downhill again and after some zigging and zagging left on to New Road. Some steady pedalling then, on to Bradford Road, past the Salt Mine then right towards the river and across Meadowbank Bridge. On the bridge I passed a couple pulling a small dog in a cart. There were several vans parked about the parking area and I wondered if there was a fishing contest on.

I pressed on beyond the vans and started to climb towards the railway. I could see that the recent weeks of rain had eroded the untarmacked surface of the track with a meandering channel where the water had run. I met many walkers who wanted to walk on the uneroded parts where I needed to ride. Last year, when the surface was intact, I’d ridden up here easily. Today it was quite a challenge. As I came to the point where the track passes under the railway in two tunnels I could see that the top surface had gone completely, with just a potholed gravelly surface which was hard to ride on. I’d meant to stop here for a photo but the endless groups of walkers made it difficult. According to Bikehike the gradient here is about 12% but with the broken surface it felt a lot steeper.

I pressed on, panting up the slope. I came out into daylight and found that the surface was better on this side but there was still a meandering channel where the water had been, and plenty of potholes. A mountain biker slowly overtook me standing on the pedals and a group of teenagers came the other way, blocking the track then opening a gap to let me through. Would there be no end to all these blasted people?

Another couple with a dog, then a car which pulled over to let me pass. There was nobody for a while, just as well with all the puffing I was doing, the slope eased, my breathing began to catch up with my oxygen demand. Certainly gave my lungs a workout today. It ain’t an off roader. Over the top at last and freewheeling slowly downhill into Moulton where the tarmac begins.

Right into Jack Lane, right again on to the A533 where there is a painted cycle lane each side. This was not particularly pleasant with tyre noise roaring past your ear. Fortunately it wasn’t a long stretch. Straight across the next roundabout, another roundabout.
Stopped for photo. This sign looks like something that fell off a passing aircraft.
P1020912.JPG

Then along the cycle lane through an industrial estate to some lights. Another Photo.
P1020913.JPG

Straight across the lights then into Rilshaw Lane. A nice quiet lane with some undulations but generally a downward trend.

I soon came to the short climb to the bridge over the bypass. Left on Station road, downhill to the bypass. There was a large walking group sitting on the fence at the entrance to the Marina, opposite. Taking a break? Waiting for transport? Who knows. The tiniest bit of fine weather has brought everyone out.

Right along the bypass then left up Weaver St which was a mere trifle after the earlier off road stuff.

Soon across the pavement to Ways Green, Gladstone St, steadily twirling uphill to Townfields Road and the lights on Swanlow Lane. Left downhill ready for my uphill turnoff. Over the summit and a freewheel past my back gate to make up 10 miles by the time I’d turned round and come back to it.

Quite a cool day but once I’d warmed up it was fine.

Distance 10.28 miles. Max speed 22.8 mph. Average 7.6 mph.

Ascent 335 ft.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Solo ride today , 1st real ride this year due to work
Determined to get a metric century in although i didnt plan it i was heading for Sudbury Courtyard
After 18 miles my rear light fell off the loop on the saddle bag and my front mudgaurd shifted after catching a bad bit of road so i had to stop to rejig the gaurds .
By the time i got to the cafe at 35 miles i was ready for a break , i opted for the porridge with fruit and nuts and a coffee to give me an energy boost .I really struggled for the next 15 miles till it kicked in and carried on to get the miles in .
legs now sore even though normally the pace would it easy enough for me .
1704639197730.png

1704639229988.jpeg

Dave 123

Legendary Member

chriswoody

Legendary Member
The last weeks have seen some crazy weather, with the river flooding to the highest level in almost 100 years, then last night saw the temperatures plummet and the ever present rain turn to snow. This morning was -2 and slippery as hell, but I was desperate to get out. Riding West along the river was impossible due to the flooding, so North I headed instead. The first 6 kilometers had me questioning my choices as I tiptoed along on iced up roads, but then I turned into the forest and finally my tires could find some grip.

IMG_20240107_103800546_HDR.jpg

I headed north for a few kilomtres, watching a herd of deer running between the trees ahead and enjoying the solitude. The snow was not too deep, but still enough to blanket everything.

IMG_20240107_105028295.jpg

IMG_20240107_105240071_HDR.jpg

I stop for a break at a hut and ponder the best way to go over a flapjack. The paths are fairly clear and I'm warm despite the sub zero tempratures so I decide to continue North for a while longer.

IMG_20240107_110148826.jpg

There are some tracks in the snow that suggest I'm not the only one to have passed this way today, but there isn't a soul in sight. Several kilomtres later I'm at the Northern most extent of my ride and starting to swing round and back towards home.

IMG_20240107_112452679_HDR.jpg

Crossing the train tracks and weaving my way through forest trails I slowly make my way South again.

IMG_20240107_111943384_HDR.jpg

As I get closer to home I swing round onto some trails I'd not traversed before, a lovely piece of singletrack weaving its way through a secluded corner of the forest, there's a real feeling of isolation out here.

IMG_20240107_122111444_HDR.jpg

Shortly after I'm traversing a deeply flooded section of trail next to a field, it's going to be a while before it's all dried out. As I reach the edge of town, I divert onto the housing estate for the last kilometre home, the normal forest trails behind the estate are deep under water. I roll back home after a very pleasant 33 kilometres, not the biggest of rides, but given the conditions it was enough.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A nice bracing 32 miler this morning, throwing in my first hill of the year. After calling in on the banks of the Severn at Stonebench, (where the floods had receded nicely),
DSCF1718.JPG

I took the quick and direct route out to Whitminster along the A38 past a miscellany of flattened wildlife before turning onto quieter roads through Eastington, Frocester
DSCF1719.JPG

and Leonard Stanley (or "Lynryd Stynly" as I call it)
DSCF1720.JPG

DSCF1723.JPG

and heading up the Cotswold escarpment through Middleyard
DSCF1725.JPG

to Selsley Church.
DSCF1729.JPG

As I turned to retrace my way to Frocester, I spotted a little deer (possibly a muntjac) grazing nervously against a hedge .... and just visible if you zoom in on the next shot. It was nice to watch it as I got my breath back from the climb. This is one of my favourite local climbs because of the views across the valley towards Randwick, Whiteshill and Ruscombe and also for the fact that it goes up in three distinct steps, giving you a moment to recover between each ascent on the way up the escarpment. I believe that is Randwick church in the middle distance.
DSCF1727.JPG

By the time I got to Frampton I knew exactly which route home would bring up a metric half century for me, but it came as a nasty shock that it was going to be into a strong headwind all the way home. Couldn't feel my toes by the time I got home, but other than that I'd say the conditions had been almost perfect for cycling. Loved this ride.

Attachments

• DSCF1720.JPG
    DSCF1720.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF1719.JPG
    DSCF1719.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF1718.JPG
    DSCF1718.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Went out about 9pm for a short ride.
It was cloudy with few hints of starlight, and once off the gritted roads and into the woodland, it was beautifully dark.
There's a good selection of well-trodden trails throught the woods; but they were treacherous with ice - not just puddles but sheets of frozen floodwater; I wanted gritted tarmac again!
Then at one point I was halted by the rough surface of frozen hoofmarks in mud; and in that moment of sudden silence, an unseen animal started shuffling in the undergrowth very close by. Now we don't have wild boars or anything that can do you damage round here, but that adrenaline response is still an undeniable rush!
Anyway, I got back to a road and followed it more nearly 2 miles before turning onto bridleways through farmland, back through some of the same woodland, and home again.

2.5 miles offroad, 7.5 miles total, darkness, ice, but somehow I managed a decent average of 13mph.
Quite an enjoyable ride, and even the cold was bearable: winter bigtights (they usually feel too thin), thermal base layer, longsleeved jersey, softshell top, winter gloves, merino socks, two buffs, helmet.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As always some crackers in this thread [EDIT: and some bloody good efforts considering the conditions] - will be giving it a good once-over later :smile:

I have a lot to unpack this morning; having awoken feeling uncharacteristically motivated and decisive. Eggs were sort-of-required so I elected to instigate the inaugural proper ride on the hard tail MTB I might have questionably purchased last November in the sales; that had so far stood unused through a combination of illness, indecision and crap weather.

Without dwelling on the bike too much, I've not been on an MTB for literally decades but quite fancied the idea as another way of getting me out on two wheels; and while I couldn't really justify the cost this seemed like too-good-an opportunity to miss.

Out the door, questionably-attired into the noticeably warmer-than-yesterday air. No sooner was I on the main road than I was overtaken by some speeding bellend; evidently intent to pass me at all costs rather than waiting all of five seconds for the single oncoming vehicle to pass..

I peeled off down a relatively well-surfaced bridleway with the chunky Maxxis Minions giving confidence I'm not usually used to on the frosty terrain.

Apologies for the crap pics - phone fits where proper camera doesn't...

IMG_20240111_095056.jpg

Taking it steady down into the valley brought vindication for my choice of route / timing as the bike easily traversed the frozen, once-boggy areas of grass that had been chewed-by-many-feet - the tyres and slack head angle again making viable terrain I'd never entertain on any of my other bikes.
IMG_20240111_100742.jpg

Pressing on further into more sheltered areas and evidently like the ice my smugness melted away as I encountered areas of deep, claggy mud that clung to the tyres and rapidly accumulated in the frame. Resigned to the bike now getting utterly filthy I cautiously soldiered on and or the most part I managed to make my way through without dismounting.

The terrain continued to change with bits of solid grass, almost-path and more claggy mud. The remnants of the local flooding were still evident in the surrounding fields, however thankfully the water didn't cause me any issues.

IMG_20240111_101447.jpg

Pulling up out of the valley brought more anxiety-fuel as the mud on the tyres picked up stones from the now-gravelled ascent; flicking them up and causing them to ping off the underside of the frame. I slowed down even more both to minimise the risk of damage and the amount of mud with which myself and the bike were increasingly festooned as it was ejected from the tyres.

Up a bit of welcome road found me at the farm shop in the next village. Old boxes deposited and six more eggs acquired, I was on my way again.. Back down the hill - again moderating my speed to minimised mess - while being mindful that the brakes were still bedding in so taking care to only lightly drag them and release before coming to a standstill at any point.

From there it was down another bridleway with more slow-paced small-stone anxiety, and up a reasonable if short climb - the bike's front end bobbing somewhat on each pedal stroke but the ascent not really feeling any worse for it. A swift mosey through the non-bike-positive pseudo-farmyard (which was thankfully deserted), a few short bits of tarmac and I was back in the village and home.

Once back I set to addressing the result of the bike evidently loving the countryside so much it wanted to bring all of it home..

IMG_20240111_105126.jpg

...numerous alternate / successive watering-can-soakings / soft-bristled-brushings seeing the patio like a lake but the bike largely clean and apparently damage-free.

All in all 5.8 whole miles at 8.5mph and 124bpm.

Lots to think about after this ride - I think if this grows on me I'm going to be very much a summer / fair weather MTB rider..

Last edited:
Top Bottom