Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My wife was out all day today so was up at 8am, had my porridge and prepared for a long ride ( by my standard anyway). Made a sandwich for lunch, 2 chocolate bars and a banana, fitted Garmin on handlebars and was off by 10.30. My ride included two longish hills: one about 1 mile long, close to home and the other 2.5 mile long, about 8 miles into my ride. My way to dealing with them is to look just in front of my front wheel and think about something unrelated to cycling. Of course, the granny gear comes into its own and I go up at a steady, slow 5 to 6 mph. Stopped at 12 for my sandwich lunch and banana. In all, I covered 43 miles.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
He never said that he didn't weep. He just said that he didn't do it quickly.

No tears....but plenty of sweat and blood. What I love about cycling is that following a full bowl of porridge for breakfast, mahoosive English for lunch, I've just polished off a roast dinner

Cyclist33

While stopped between the two airport tunnels near Wilmslow, taking photos of planes, a bloke went by on the other side of the road, wearing team Sky kit and (I think) a white helmet, and riding a Dogma - he looked pretty tall and thin and he looked across at me several times, made me wonder if he was checking that I wasn't photographing him... anyway, I wondered if he was a pro from Sky, and if so, can anyone enlighten me as to who it could've been??

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Had a great ride out with some of the club, Headed for Norton Heath following a new route, when we got there there were a bunch of guys and girls on vintage bikes, first time i have seen someone riding a penny farthing, also on the way back we stopped when we saw a few people looking over a bridge, they were all photographing an old steam train, ended up in our local pub after 60 glorious miles on one of the nicest days of the year.
20140928_113344.jpg
20140928_113824.jpg
20140928_113842.jpg
20140928_122516.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did a 20 mile loop with my pal Bill today. I suggested that we head out of Todmorden on the A646 to Cornholme, then climb up the steep road that can't decide what to call itself - Pudsey Rd/Shore New Rd/Pudding Ln/BluebellLn/Gall Ln/Mount Ln (we stayed on the one road, but it had 6 names on the way up)!

I last tackled this brute on a forum ride 5 years ago. Here's a picture of @Alun tackling it on his 24-inch gear ...:thumbsup:

steep-shore-road-climb-wide.jpg

Bill and I were just grinding our way up that bit when a car came round the bend (where I had stood with my camera to take that picture), thus forcing us in to the even steeper apex of the bend. The driver had his window wound down and I heard him say to his female passenger "S**t - imagine cycling up this!" Ha ha - it made me feel like I was Alberto Contador! :becool:

If you want to get a real feel for how hard this climb is, take a ride up it in the Streetview car - LINK.
We climbed up into the late afternoon sunshine, and returned to Hebden Bridge over the tops.

I'm definitely getting fitter. I found the climb hard, but that was the best I have ever felt climbing it. :smile:

Pudsey Rd elevation profile.gif

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Once again, @gavgav has beaten me to it and covered the salient points so I'll just givve a bit of an account from my point of view:

I rode down to his place for about 9, meeting up with Gav and Doug (who'd taken the bike over in the car) and we then rode to tthe Sports Village which conveniently is that side of town. Compared to the BHF ride (my only other sportive to date) the atmosphere was really relaxed and the organisers made everyone feel welcome personally. The advantage of it being a completely new event I suppose.

Once signed in and allocated event numbers we were good to go and Gav, Doug and I got off in the first wave. This very quickly split into two groups thanks to a couple of busy traffic islands so I ended up ahead. I stuck with this group for a bit but soon realised that with the pace they were setting (they were cruising at between 22 and 28 mph and I was keeping up :hyper:) I'd soon lose Doug and Gav, so I dropped away and tookt the chance to grab a couple of action photos when the next group came through.

We cruised along pretty well - Shawbury and Wem came and went and I had to suggest a stop for a bit to eat, knowing how hard the going can be if you don't keep the energy levels up. Welshampton was where we stopped and where we found out about the one group having missed the turn at Roden and gone on to High Ercall.

Pressing on again, I had warned about the hill between Welshampton and Ellesmere being a bit of a pig. Fortunately it didn't seem as bad as I remembered it (I think I had a strong headwind as well when I last rode it) and we took the chance to pause by The Mere.

The next section all seems to blur into one - lots of gentle cruising on mostly flat roads, until we turned off onto the road to St. Martin's which was rather more undulating. As mentioned by Gav, one of our fellows was having to walk the hills by this point. Fortunately it wasn't long to the refreshment stop where a welcome break was taken.

Pressing on again, the directions were confusing in St. Martins itself, but we got the right junctions. It was somewhere around here that the Corsa blasted past us.

Around Whittington one of the other riders we'd left at the food stop caught and passed us. We were quite near the back as it was and didn't want to be last home.

The section on lanes after West Felton was quite nice as there was hardly any traffic, before we were back onto the B roads through Ruyton XI Towns, Baschurch and Myddle (where there is a nasty little bank to climb up to the main road). Here we were caught by the last two runners in the event: Pete, who we'd seen walking the hills earlier and Bill, the organiser who was staying back to help Pete make it home.

We pressed on again and despite Doug and Gav being really tired at this point we made quite reasonable progress. The road through Harmer Hill and Albrighton was quite busy and many of the drivers didn't give a lot of room so we were glad to get off this road, however the last section along Harlescott Lane and Featherbed lane was worse with several close passes (oh, and the "cycle lane" on Featherbed Lane is a joke).

Making it back to the Sports Village we were greeted by more people than I expected to be still there and applause fo having made it. Just the lap of the track to do and we were finished.

Pete did make it - to widespread applause :thumbsup: and Doug and Gav now have their first Metric Century in the bag.:bravo: Well done chaps!

It seems that this event is likely to be run again next year so I shall be keeping an eye out for it.^_^ Hopefully they'll get a good crowd next time.

After riding back to Gav's I headed for an uneventful trip home making a total of 74.1 miles for the day at 13.1 mph average.

DSC0001652.jpg

Gav and Doug ready for the off.

DSC0001653.jpg

Catching me up at Roden......

DSC0001654.jpg

....along with the rest of their group.

DSC0001658.jpg

The Mere at Ellesmere.

DSC0001662.jpg

We are plied with cake, drink and bananas.

DSC0001665.jpg

Across the finish line back at Shrewsbury.

DSC0001669.jpg

Oh, did I mention my race number?:whistle:

Last edited:

Archeress

Veteran
Just a short ride today with my fiance rode from Calne to a friends house in Chippenham.

20140928_110924.jpg

We walked with our friend into the town centre where we visited the Rivo Lounge for brunch. After walking back to our friends home, he started his railway in the back garden. I had hoped to have a video edited up for here but I have never edited video before and I'm having problems. Our friend started out with a gravity train of slate wagons, before firing up a butane powered steam loco. I have managed to get a 360 degree panorama of the garden. I hope you can see the rails.

20140928_120116.jpg

During our return ride to Calne my fiance picked up a 3/4 inch thorn in his rear tyre, which I had to repair lol.

No strava on this one. Don't want to lead bandits to my friends front door to nick the locos.

Hugs
Archeress x

gavgav

Guru
I didn't have a clue where to go today so I headed to Preston to ride the banks of the river Ribble. Got there and thought I'd head on to Lytham. Ended up riding right up Blackpool prom to Bispham then back home again. Almost 69 miles and I have that a nice cold beer my my side now as reward.

http://www.strava.com/activities/200709135
I stayed at a hotel at Bispham on a Cricket Tour a few years ago. The taxi drivers nicknamed it Colditz!!

Alun

Guru
I did a 20 mile loop with my pal Bill today. I suggested that we head out of Todmorden on the A646 to Cornholme, then climb up the steep road that can't decide what to call itself - Pudsey Rd/Shore New Rd/Pudding Ln/BluebellLn/Gall Ln/Mount Ln (we stayed on the one road, but it had 6 names on the way up)!
I last tackled this brute on a forum ride 5 years ago. Here's a picture of @Alun tackling it on his 24-inch gear ...:thumbsup:
I think you have misrepresented me @ColinJ it was a 31" gear, I would have flown up there on a 24" :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom