Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Could you see who you were riding with by the board on the right, or was that empty too? I was hanging on to you until we hit box hill, and you dropped me at that point.

I couldn't tell if you were riding tactically or clinging on!

I was sticking with @bridgy pretty well on the flats and naively thought I might be able to wheel suck for the whole distance. You certainly put me in my place on box hill, though!
No tactics from me. First race back on zwift for me this year. Thought it was strange @bridgy behind me up until we caught you then I was hanging on. Got my shoot together and thought I’d have a go on front but couldn’t hold it for long and thought bridgy was helping me out. :laugh: Cheers all anyway.

mjd1988

Guru
I could see everyone. Similar to last week, wrecked myself to stay with front group for 20 mins then started to lose you all on fox hill so dropped to tempo as I thought there was loads of climbing left..which there wasn't. I had very little left though so couldn't have kept up anyway, but at least I finished after getting dropped this time!

@BurningLegs sorry for wheelsucking, that was pure survival mode! Nearly threw up afterwards, always a sign of a good effort!

Edit: 38.09 for me if I've got the right segment

Last edited:

BurningLegs

Veteran
No tactics from me. First race back on zwift for me this year. Thought it was strange @bridgy behind me up until we caught you then I was hanging on. Got my shoot together and thought I’d have a go on front but couldn’t hold it for long and thought bridgy was helping me out. :laugh: Cheers all anyway.

I was on my own when I saw @bridgy behind and thought it would be worth my while waiting!

[QUOTE="mjd1988, post: 5737051, member: 55873@BurningLegs sorry for wheelsucking, that was pure survival mode! Nearly threw up afterwards, always a sign of a good effort![/QUOTE]

No problem - all part of the game unless it’s a TT! I didn’t mind, but when someone came by pulling about 3.5w/kg on an FTP test I took a chance and sucked their wheel. I think that’s when we separated.

Alongo

Guru
Joined in today after a bit of a lay off with dodgy knee. Thought with it being a fairly short flat race I’d just about manage . Had a bit of a glitch for first 20 seconds where my avatar wasn’t pedalling and everyone was leaving me but got going ok after that. Good group going well and I managed to stay on until the escalator where I got dropped. Somehow managed to rejoin group a few km from end , I had pushed way too hard at times though and when we were getting ready for the sprint my left thigh tightened up with cramp and I had to coast home, must have lost about 30 secs in that km alone and still got 35:15 for the segment and I was prob 30 secs behind Lee and Milzy so not sure the timings are accurate there. Good race everyone and thanks , need to get some miles in now .

bridgy

Legendary Member
A word about finish lines in these meet-up races : you have to remember, us using the meet-up function for racing is a bit of a bodge. The meet-up will start and finish somewhere on the course selected, but the actual strava segment we use for times won't start and finish at exactly the same points (but will hopefully be within the meet-up - once or twice it wasn't so I had to create a special new strava segment).

We could use the times shown on screen but unless we all remember to take a screenshot while it's up (not going to happen!) that time isn't recorded anywhere - hence using the strava segment instead.

So, when you race someone for the finish banner in a meet-up race you've probably already gone through the finish of the timed strava segment so you're just racing for pride and bragging rights really!

berty bassett

Legendary Member
A word about finish lines in these meet-up races : you have to remember, us using the meet-up function for racing is a bit of a bodge. The meet-up will start and finish somewhere on the course selected, but the actual strava segment we use for times won't start and finish at exactly the same points (but will hopefully be within the meet-up - once or twice it wasn't so I had to create a special new strava segment).

We could use the times shown on screen but unless we all remember to take a screenshot while it's up (not going to happen!) that time isn't recorded anywhere - hence using the strava segment instead.

So, when you race someone for the finish banner in a meet-up race you've probably already gone through the finish of the timed strava segment so you're just racing for pride and bragging rights really!
could you repeat that again next week just before the race please - it might just sink in my thick skull - no promises though

Milzy

Guru
Joined in today after a bit of a lay off with dodgy knee. Thought with it being a fairly short flat race I’d just about manage . Had a bit of a glitch for first 20 seconds where my avatar wasn’t pedalling and everyone was leaving me but got going ok after that. Good group going well and I managed to stay on until the escalator where I got dropped. Somehow managed to rejoin group a few km from end , I had pushed way too hard at times though and when we were getting ready for the sprint my left thigh tightened up with cramp and I had to coast home, must have lost about 30 secs in that km alone and still got 35:15 for the segment and I was prob 30 secs behind Lee and Milzy so not sure the timings are accurate there. Good race everyone and thanks , need to get some miles in now .
You looked strong, I remember you fell about 14 seconds behind then bridged back over. If that’s legit you deserve the combative award. Maybe we were sandbagging & you put in a good effort. It got everybody awakened anyway.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Stating the obvious but it is a shame we can’t organise a race with a proper start and finish.

I wonder whether Zwift ever plan to change things.

That would be good, but I suspect Zwift's development resources will be focussed on other areas for the foreseeable!

I suppose we do have the option of all joining a public race, then taking times from ZwiftPower?

bridgy

Legendary Member
That would be good, but I suspect Zwift's development resources will be focussed on other areas for the foreseeable!

I suppose we do have the option of all joining a public race, then taking times from ZwiftPower?
Yeah we have done this in the past - and no reason not to do again when it suits us. It's just more fun having a "closed" race with just the people you know on here - sometimes the organised races can be so big that you hardly see other cyclechat riders. Also, in our own races the dynamics of the race are set by us, rather than being dictated by the other riders in a public race.

I think (and hope) Zwift will improve the meet-up feature and allow us to do private races properly eventually. Unfortunately they seem to be spending more time developing features like steering at the moment!

Top Bottom