Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Del C

Veteran
I used to ride a fixed bike quite a lot, so that bit will be okay. Not used to no brakes though :smile:

Also, I assume no cleats - so is it clips/straps?
I did a taster session at Lee Valley and really enjoyed it.

Their hire bikes come with Look cleats if i remember correctly. You can take your own shoes if you use Look cleats or they have shoes available for hire.

No idea whether that applies to Derby or not.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I used to ride a fixed bike quite a lot, so that bit will be okay. Not used to no brakes though :smile:

Also, I assume no cleats - so is it clips/straps?

I use speedplay peddles on my track bike because they’re double sided it’s a lot easier to click in as the crank is turning. It’s probably less of an issue when you’re on the track but it can be a bit of a bugger in traffic if you don’t engage first time and then you’re slow to take off from the lights.

I’ve spoke to guys who use hire bikes at the track but take theIr own peddles and shoes. Personally I’d do this and wear my own shoes. Then you have the cleats positioned where you want them and shoes you’re familier with. But like Del says maybe you can hire them at the track you go to.

mjd1988

Guru
For these mass start events I find it best to log in early (ToW was at least 20 mins before start) and get to the front of the starting pen, that way stating in with the lead pack for as long as possible and avoiding being dropped early and stuck in someone’s sticky draft at 2wkg ^_^

Ssssh!

But yes, definitely the way to go, for the 1st stage the invite came 30 mins before the start and I blasted out for as long as I could go then dropped back and it worked well (and i always find it more motivating to chase people better than me or else I just relax and take forever)

Also seems to be better for my laptop to be near the front as there are less avatars about and it didn't freak out this time round

bobinski

Legendary Member
I may have bought myself a Xmas present :biggrin:

JuhaL

Guru
My target tonight is about an hour too .... fingers crossed :okay:
You are better shape than i am and i just check how many riders are now on your event in A group. It says nearly a 1000 riders now so you have very good chances to go under 1hr. I would be surprise if you not :okay:.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I may have bought myself a Xmas present :biggrin: View attachment 496027
Not sure about the spike coming out of the stem Bob .... although it could give you a new excuse you haven't used before :whistle:

Whorty

You are better shape than i am and i just check how many riders are now on your event in A group. It says nearly a 1000 riders now so you have very good chances to go under 1hr. I would be surprise if you not :okay:.
I think a lot of it is down to luck too ... that is, if you get in a good group willing to push then the speed can be good, but if they all want to sit in like me we're fubbered :laugh: I need a group of about 30, willing to push at about 250 watts, but let me sit in at 210 watts :laugh:

JuhaL

Guru
I think a lot of it is down to luck too ... that is, if you get in a good group willing to push then the speed can be good, but if they all want to sit in like me we're fubbered :laugh: I need a group of about 30, willing to push at about 250 watts, but let me sit in at 210 watts :laugh:
Because of sticky draft i lost couple times big group which would probably help me better to go my target time but i just didn't had enough legs to pass those "slower" riders fast enough, i was already hangin last with those groups. Needs a bit of attention too to read better where is my position and where those sticky draft riders are when big group pass them.

Whorty

Because of sticky draft i lost couple times big group which would probably help me better to go my target time but i just didn't had enough legs to pass those "slower" riders fast enough, i was already hangin last with those groups. Needs a bit of attention too to read better where is my position and where those sticky draft riders are when big group pass them.
Sticky draft is a bug bear of mine. One of those things that I wish Zwift would fix/remove. just see no point in it - it helps no one as far as I can see.

Top Bottom