Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
It is a way of ranking racers - I think based on the way USA Cycling do it. If you go into Rankings tab on ZP and then FAQ it gives the detailed explanation. Here is the first para..

"USAC Points calculation
Note: A small field adjustment has been applied to the following rules. If there are between 5 and 9 riders we use the top 5 for quality and all riders for average.

A riders ranking going into every race is calculated from the average of their 5 best results in the past 3 months.

Rankings are set between 0 and 600 points. Fewer points means you have a better ranking. So the goal is to earn the fewest points possible.

In general USAC summarizes the ranking system as follows; “to improve ranking, a rider must beat riders who are currently ranked stronger.” This is a true statement but has some nuances, which we will discuss below.

The points system has 3 critical calculations: Race Quality, Points per Place, and Ranking Points."

If you race regularly, it is a good measure of how you are progressing. It is also useful to see how other riders in your race are likely to do. If you look to the right of the results screens for races, it tells you if you have improved or not.

I think my ranking flatters me because I went through a period of doing races that suited me. I think it also favours people who race more frequently than those who don’t. I’ve no issue with either of those things. I think It’s a fair enough system really. But it can skewer the rankings a bit.

I has conversations with a couple of the guys on zsunr nad they suggested using zp live in races to gage people’s strengths and use it to decide how to approach the lead in the the finish. I’ve tried it but I think it might information overload for me personally. Has anyone else tried that and got it to work for them?

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
@IrishAl best of luck for Sunday mate 👍👍. And bloody well done for the win too! 💪

Is company on Sunday a help or hindrance do you think? I’d Happily join you for a bit but maybe you’d rather just focus on the job in hand.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I think my ranking flatters me because I went through a period of doing races that suited me. I think it also favours people who race more frequently than those who don’t. I’ve no issue with either of those things. I think It’s a fair enough system really. But it can skewer the rankings a bit.

I has conversations with a couple of the guys on zsunr nad they suggested using zp live in races to gage people’s strengths and use it to decide how to approach the lead in the the finish. I’ve tried it but I think it might information overload for me personally. Has anyone else tried that and got it to work for them?
I suspect some people use ZP Live to monitor their own stats to make sure they're not 'accidentally' pushing into the next category.

There is certainly one guy in the DBR league who uses it too, to monitor other riders; he kindly calls out any A or B riders in our race so we shouldn't chase them, and anyone pushing over cat limits so they're going to be DQ'd. Couldn't be arsed to do it myself - can hardly see through the sweat let alone read a screen.

steverob

Guru
Good luck tonight @Joffey. 5 guys on ZP in the 100kg+ category should make it interesting for a flat race.. :boxing:

Maybe you may even beat your nemesis, Jason Bartram. :smile:
And he did - a HUGE victory! Won the race and swept up all the sprints as well. Top work @Joffey !

I tuned in towards the end of the race and was able to give him some time gaps, but to be honest he was already some ways clear by then.

Ketty

Über Member
Just putting this out there for comment.

I think there's 3 weeks of the DBR league to go. Any thoughts on what we want to do then? Look out for a new league series? Go back to a CC league? Go and ride outside for the summer?

I'd quite like to carry on doing something. What do others think? It's worth thinking about now so that we don't end up with the league finished and saying 'What do we do now?'
Another league for me please, with a H&H once or twice a month 👍🏻

Whorty

And he did - a HUGE victory! Won the race and swept up all the sprints as well. Top work @Joffey !

I tuned in towards the end of the race and was able to give him some time gaps, but to be honest he was already some ways clear by then.
How did you manage to watch the race? I tried to follow on Zwift but couldn't see the race itself. watched it a bit on ZP (not the most exciting way to be fair) and could see @Joffey was smashing it :wahhey:

I also saw that @Brusgaard seemed to be in the same group as the guys Michael and I raced on Monday (who also raced yesterday!) Did all cats start together?

Joffey

Big Dosser
Cheers chaps!

@Brusgaard I finally got that JB sized monkey off my back and put 4:28 into him ^_^

It was a lovely surprise that @steverob popped up and gave me some ZP stats that helped out. I didn’t realise that I was 1st on ZP after lap 1 so it helped that I was just able to focus on keeping ahead of Neilson.

It was very hot in my garage tonight, surprised I didn’t pass out. I’ve been Vape free for 3 days now too and can really say that I noticed a difference in my lungs too. Great stuff all round.

I‘ll now have to defend my crown next Wednesday unfortunately so no CChat racing for me next week. Sorry :sad:

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Cheers chaps!

@Brusgaard I finally got that JB sized monkey off my back and put 4:28 into him ^_^

It was a lovely surprise that @steverob popped up and gave me some ZP stats that helped out. I didn’t realise that I was 1st on ZP after lap 1 so it helped that I was just able to focus on keeping ahead of Neilson.

On the race ranking you finished third? No. 1 was clearly in the wrong cat, but no. 2 did 2.5wkg avg. which is close to the D-cat limit of 2.49wkg. I guess they are not on ZwiftPower?

Brusgaard

Über Guru
I also saw that @Brusgaard seemed to be in the same group as the guys Michael and I raced on Monday (who also raced yesterday!) Did all cats start together?

No, separate starts as always. 39 startes in B cat, 30 finishers. I find it a bit sad that people sign up and join races, but can’t be arsed to finish them, if they don’t make it with the front group when the peloton breaks up. It has happened in a lot of races lately. :sad:

steverob

Guru
How did you manage to watch the race? I tried to follow on Zwift but couldn't see the race itself. watched it a bit on ZP (not the most exciting way to be fair) and could see @Joffey was smashing it :wahhey:

It was complicated, but it is possible to watch a rider if you're not in their race. From memory, when in the Companion app, I had to tap on More, then Activities, then find a previous activity of Joffey's (thankfully he did a warm up ride just before), then tap on his photo to call up his profile, then tap the Fan View button. Phew!

Whorty

No, separate starts as always. 39 startes in B cat, 30 finishers. I find it a bit sad that people sign up and join races, but can’t be arsed to finish them, if they don’t make it with the front group when the peloton breaks up. It has happened in a lot of races lately. :sad:
Interesting ... I was tracking you on ZP for a few minutes and at one point you was exactly the same time as the lead C group. Definitely looked on ZP liked you was riding with them. That's why I wondered if they had gone for the mass start (which I'm not a fan of).

Yes, agree with you, unless someone has a mechanical or health problem, people really should try to finish a race :okay:

Whorty

It was complicated, but it is possible to watch a rider if you're not in their race. From memory, when in the Companion app, I had to tap on More, then Activities, then find a previous activity of Joffey's (thankfully he did a warm up ride just before), then tap on his photo to call up his profile, then tap the Fan View button. Phew!
Ah, ok, i was trying it from the PC app. Never tried from the companion app. Thanks for that method, I'll try it next time :okay:

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Interesting ... I was tracking you on ZP for a few minutes and at one point you was exactly the same time as the lead C group. Definitely looked on ZP liked you was riding with them. That's why I wondered if they had gone for the mass start (which I'm not a fan of).

Yes, agree with you, unless someone has a mechanical or health problem, people really should try to finish a race :okay:
They started 1 minute later than me, and finished 3 minutes faster. So yes, at some point we were probably together in the same world but just invisible to each other. :smile:

Yes, one or two might have a mechanical, but about 25% of the joined? I think not. :smile:

Top Bottom