Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I will probably be doing the last stage of the Bkool Winter Cup tonight, and then I will be giving Zwift a try-out. I've just paid for a year's subscription of Bkool on auto-renewal so even if I like Zwift I'll still be bkooling as well for a while yet as well!

So do I need to do some sort of FTP test first to see which category race to enter?

Thing is, ideally I think I'm limited in the distance I can do on the free trial so don't really want to waste them on an FTP test! So if I don't have to do an FTP first, but was to join a race at 8pm tomorrow called "KISS Europe Race" which has staggered start times for different categories, what category do you guys who know me from Bkool think I should choose? Thanks.

Breedon

Legendary Member
Err I've done it via the app other than that I don't have a clue:laugh: user name Breedon.
@kipster your our IT guru should I do it via the website?

Breedon

Legendary Member
I will probably be doing the last stage of the Bkool Winter Cup tonight, and then I will be giving Zwift a try-out. I've just paid for a year's subscription of Bkool on auto-renewal so even if I like Zwift I'll still be bkooling as well for a while yet as well!

So do I need to do some sort of FTP test first to see which category race to enter?

Thing is, ideally I think I'm limited in the distance I can do on the free trial so don't really want to waste them on an FTP test! So if I don't have to do an FTP first, but was to join a race at 8pm tomorrow called "KISS Europe Race" which has staggered start times for different categories, what category do you guys who know me from Bkool think I should choose? Thanks.
I would say A-B if you go over the b cat it's no big deal then at least you know your limits

bobinski

Legendary Member

I would say "d" cat Paul:laugh: But then you have the bkool pro advantage so...at least B and possibly A. Only kidding.We all know you are fast :okay:, so, as i say B possibly A.
The thing is, if you read what i have typed below, you will see that you miss much of what Zwift has to offer unless you hook up to zwift power etc. Why not join for a months at £10 and give it a proper go?Anyways...

I think Whorty and Bert would agree that once in Zwift the first time at least you need to turn your turbo on and off and then back on to get more realistic resistance and watts.
Also, if you sign up via pc its a little cheaper than through IOS. But, if you have an idevice download zwiftlink and use that as well as signing up. And link to strava. And also sign up at zwift power and link strava to that because that is where you will go to to see the outcomes of races.
It will take a while to get your head round things/options etc and at first may seem pretty chaotic but much of it makes sense eventually.

Finally, you a fast reader? Titanium geek and zwift blog for lots of valuable info and zwift cast for podcast updates.

Enjoy :bicycle:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru

No need for FTP test
Look here https://zwiftpower.com/ This is the list of daily races or groups rides. Pick a time convenient to you. Sign into Zwift about 10 mins before the event, in the top right you'll see the event listed, click join, then in the bottom left of the screen a box will be displayed for you to join your chosen event, click on this and you will be transported to the start. Keep pedaling to warm up. You don't need to stop pedalling to start event.

The other way is to install Zwift link on your phone choose event early and when you sign in as describe above but this time you'll see the join box in the bottom left already, click join.

If you're using bkool pro, unplug it before using on zwift to reset it. You'll have an advantage over most others until you change trainer or add power meter.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Paul,the only other thing is tuesday is i think the london map which for many, including Bill, isn't that exciting. The Watopia map is the more varied and you have the mountain and the volcano.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Thanks guys.

@bobinski I may well sign up properly for the £10 per month but I thought I may as well make use of the free trial first. I've downloaded the Zwift link app onto my phone so I can see the scheduled rides, and I've set up a profile on Zwift Power - thanks @CXRAndy for the link.

I will do what you suggest about turning the trainer on, off, and on again. So the Bkool Pro gives an advantage on Zwift too does it? I thought one of the main reasons you went over to Zwift was that it gave a much more level playing field for different trainers?! I have no plans to change trainers or buy a power meter though so my Bkool Pro will have to do!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Paul I cant comment other from Bob has said with his. The hills aren't as torturous as bkool so you may feel at first like your flying up them. The transitions over the rollers are lovely, you power into them and speed slowly drops as you crest and then back onto the power again, just like on the road. I reckon you will be a strong B Cat or mid A.

The only way to tell is join a race and see how you get on. With the Multi category races you will be bumped up a grade if you have a high W/Kg output.

I like the numbers of riders and variety of events, not to say the Bkool were poor, it's just easier to jump into Zwift virtually anytime and join in a little competition with someone.

The £10 subscription is rolling so can stop at anytime you're not forced for a years subscription

bobinski

Legendary Member
Thanks guys.

@bobinski I may well sign up properly for the £10 per month but I thought I may as well make use of the free trial first. I've downloaded the Zwift link app onto my phone so I can see the scheduled rides, and I've set up a profile on Zwift Power - thanks @CXRAndy for the link.

I will do what you suggest about turning the trainer on, off, and on again. So the Bkool Pro gives an advantage on Zwift too does it? I thought one of the main reasons you went over to Zwift was that it gave a much more level playing field for different trainers?! I have no plans to change trainers or buy a power meter though so my Bkool Pro will have to do!

And it will do fine Paul. By and large there is a levelish playing field with manufacturers working with Zwift to ensure so but bkool work a little differently because zwift is a competitor. The advantage varies by turbo and is probably affected by tyre pressure etc but is nothing like the advantage available in bsim. Rick tended to be a little faster than me in bsim and he remains so now.

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
And it will do fine Paul. By and large there is a levelish playing field with manufacturers working with Zwift to ensure so but bkool work a little differently because zwift is a competitor. The advantage varies by turbo and is probably affected by tyre pressure etc but is nothing like the advantage available in bsim. Rick tended to be faster than me in bsim and he remains so now.
Yeah, I suppose you're always going to get some kind of discrepancy due to the lack of power meter in the Bkool trainer + the difference tyre type and tyre pressure can make

kipster

Guru
Err I've done it via the app other than that I don't have a clue:laugh: user name Breedon.
@kipster your our IT guru should I do it via the website?
When you share it, it should give you the option to create a URL. You can then post that link here.

Did you create a new server or add a channel to an existing one.

I can always rename or recreate the bkool one, as I don't think anyone really uses it, and create some channels for us on that

RickB

professional procrastinator
If its any help I have been using my power meter on Zwift with the Bkool trainer just in charge of changing the resistance. After doing this for about 3 months I did a ride using the Bkool as the power meter. I'd say they average out similar but hills were definitely harder on the bkool yet flats were faster. Pretty much the same as I found in the Bkool software. Each Bkool trainer seems to behave that little bit differently as I always thought I was handicapped on the hills with mine!

Breedon

Legendary Member
When you share it, it should give you the option to create a URL. You can then post that link here.

Did you create a new server or add a channel to an existing one.

I can always rename or recreate the bkool one, as I don't think anyone really uses it, and create some channels for us on that
I created a new server, might be easier if you could rename the one you created if it's not being used then that's great

Top Bottom