Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjd1988

Guru
1.22.42 for me please on zwiftpower

For a bit of context this is why I was desperate for that to save! 2 years since I was last up and a massive pb. Knackered.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Did you ave 3.2 for the climb?

Ive heard it said its the number you need to aim for.

My best is 60.32 at just under 3.2.

Just checked - yes I did average 3.2w/kg. The on-screen timer clocked me at 60:00:00.4 - looked on Strava and the official segment has me at 59:57 and looking on Segments on ZP it has me at 59:59 :wacko:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Two missing riders, Bob, and Bridgy? Carl is at base camp, so excused :okay:

BurningLegs

Veteran
My ride crashed at the end as well - was going to circle round and down for free miles but screen done just the same as yours
Mine crashed, too! Sounds like a different issue to yours. As soon as I went through the finish line the main Zwift client completely fell over and just displayed this:
ECAB422D-7154-4978-BD9B-A9C455AC47FC.jpeg

I could see in companion app that my speed, power etc was all accurate and the map was updating so coasted down the Alpe and quite through companion. Thankfully the ride saved properly and all was well. Must have “just” been a display issue with the game client 🤷‍♂️

BurningLegs

Veteran
My guess is it’s lack of fitness, compounded by bad pacing. I don’t mean that as criticism. I pace myself on the memory of my best form so if I’m not in good form then it’s sometimes harder to adjust down to the present reality right? So it’s easy to pop that way.

Maybe you can adjust you’re fuelling too but honestly I’d avoid adjusting it to what other people here do, and work out what works for you. For what it’s worth if I’d of taken a gel at the start I’d prob take one halfway or two thirds in as well.

What your PB up the alpe and what did you get today? I think you’re a really great climber you know my opinion on that. But that really top form will come back if you can put the consistency in. Not that that’s easy of course… I’m finding bike time very hard to find so I know it’s not easy…

You’ll for sure be stronger at the end of this series 👍
Yes, definitely fitness and pacing yesterday. It didn't feel like more fuel would have made me faster, but I do think less fuel would have made me slower. Is that a contradiction?! :wacko:

I was climbing alright yesterday, gaining lots of places, and feeling good/in control right up until the third turn from the end and a bit like a ramp test everything changed immediately and I was in trouble (but not bonking). I lost a lot of time and a lot of places!

My PB is 45m 21s and time yesterday was 1h 15m, so a big difference! Having said that - my PB is pre-power meter so probably not a true reflection. I am reading that 3.2W/KG is the magic figure to get under 1h and I know I should be able to reach that, so making that my target for now :smile:

Nick, you are working your way back to mountain taming fitness so difficult to know if you bonked or just reached your fitness level at this point in your journey. You may have a better sense of why. Had you eaten or drunk much in the 2-3 hours up to the ride? Its a question of what works for you given the inensity of your ride but some general principles see to be universally accepted-see below.
I have often made the mistake of underfueling mainly because I have been silly enough to confuse the sometimes competing demands of fitness and wanting to achieve some weight loss and aim for the latter. I am now eating well but crazy amounts at the moment as i work through my TP. I have a 1hr 40 ride plus warm up and cool down at 2pm today so good quality lunch midday, banana during warm up, another if needed, and a caffeine gel and a 900ml bottle of energy drink. Oh and some jelly babies. Works out at about 120gm of carbs for what will be 2 hours 20/30m on the bike.
FWIW I always find the below a useful reminder, cribbed from the Sufferfest site (the advice is little different to other sites) and whilst Big Event specific carries over into 1h 30 plus intense sessions. Remember the carbs from the gel/drink become available 20-30 min after ingested:

General Fueling Guidelines

• Focus on carbohydrates and lean protein. Aim to eat a substantial meal of carbs and lean protein at least two hours before your event.
  • It’s better to over fuel than under fuel, especially for longer endurance events.
  • Avoid eating at least 60 minutes before your event.
  • Avoid dairy.
  • Avoid fats and fiber, both of which take time to be converted into usable fuel.
  • Avoid salty, fried foods. They can slow down your body’s ability to take in carbs.
  • The maximum amount of carbohydrates your body can absorb is 90g per hour. 60g should be in the form of glucose, while 30g should be fructose. Look for “maltodextrin” in the ingredients list.
  • The average 75kg / 165lb male has about 500g of carbohydrates stored and available as fuel. Producing 100w of power for an hour will burn through 360 calories (similarly, producing 200w of power for an hour will burn 720 calories). If you have a power meter, keep an eye on your output, and replace carbs accordingly.
  • It takes around 90 minutes after you eat for the carbs to be available for your muscles to use. Remember the old adage, if you wait until you’re hungry to eat, it’s too late.
Thanks for sharing - I hadn't read that before, but it matches everything I've heard and read elsewhere (mostly the TrainerRoad podcast to be honest where they bang on about fueling). I have made the same conscious decision not to fuel some rides when trying to drop weight, but I've come round to the mantra of "don't diet on the bike" and the idea of increasing the training efficiency so that the rate of metabolism and future calorie burn in other efforts and day to day is increased as a way to lose weight. It's also just miserable having a bonk or getting close to it, isn't it!

You're right - I'm on my way back, and didn't ride at all in December (literally not a single turn of the pedals) and this was my third ride back into it. If I hadn't come to a grinding halt close to the summit I'd have been really very happy with it, to be honest. I'm still relatively happy when I consider the bigger picture.

Looking forward to giving this stage another go during one of the catch up days. Fingers crossed for an improved time - not neccesarily for the entire stage, but for that Alpe segment which I will target.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
@<Tommy> I’m going to sign up for the 4pm event, and now that I’ve got @Berty bassett’s time to aim for I’ll get the missus to have the dinner on the table for 5
I’m struggling Al… I don’t think I make it onto the bike that early. Maybe an hour after that if I’m lucky.

Good effort Lee! 👍👍

Really good time up the alp mate even by your standard. Especially considering the lead in.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Mine crashed, too! Sounds like a different issue to yours. As soon as I went through the finish line the main Zwift client completely fell over and just displayed this:

I could see in companion app that my speed, power etc was all accurate and the map was updating so coasted down the Alpe and quite through companion. Thankfully the ride saved properly and all was well. Must have “just” been a display issue with the game client 🤷‍♂️
Switch to view 8 just before the top to avoid the bug on ATV, is what some say.

Top Bottom