Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
TdZ times 🎯 for stage 2 so far ⤵️

11044A4E-EA93-487B-8DBA-10C584B3524B.jpeg

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
It was paired in the warm up and I didn’t notice it hadn’t paired in the pen until just before the gun. I sent them an email yesterday (cheers though Micheal 👍). I was just wondering if anyone has ever got it turned over.

I think it’s a silly rule anyway to be honest, if I just switch it on and leave it on the shelf it shows a steady 72bpm and zp doesn’t flag it. But that’s a different debate.

Happy Sunday y’all

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Hmm always thought the 20minute power x0.95 =FTP was really optimistic, but crunching the numbers based on my last ride -basically all out one hour effort- it is pretty much exactly right
Coming into cycling very recently, I thought that as well. It's unbelievable that you can do an all out 20 min effort and then theoretically do 95% of that for 3x longer... But yeah, seems to work for me as well.

What happens after that? Can you do 95% of 1h for 3h?

Norry1

Legendary Member
Coming into cycling very recently, I thought that as well. It's unbelievable that you can do an all out 20 min effort and then theoretically do 95% of that for 3x longer... But yeah, seems to work for me as well.

Have a look at your Power curve on Zwift.

mjd1988

Guru
On the other end of the scale thought this video was interesting from the NorCal guy (sprinter racing cat 1 in the us)

View: https://youtu.be/HGvpLzC2el4

Thought it was interesting hope much lower his peak sprint was on the turbo (up to 18% difference). @Legs you may be interested.

There is a few factors and a very good comment by gplama underneath about potential reasons other than technique.

Interesting may be overselling it, I have a fair bit of painting to do about the house so anything else is fascinating at the minute

Edit- very recent gcn video on sprinting as it happens as well!

View: https://youtu.be/mEFJwyT9Sp8

Last edited:

alex_cycles

Veteran

I may be an outlier, but my FTP is well above 200W (226W in early December Zwift ramp test) but I've not yet managed to sustain more than 194W for an hour either out on the road or indoors.
184W best hour for stage 1 (and I was really hanging on)
169W best hour for stage 2 (but fighting a virus, so probably shouldn't count)

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
@alex_cycles , ramp tests are an entirely different kettle of fish. I did one at the end of August that put my FTP at 318W (I bailed at just gone 420W), but my best 20-minute effort (from a Tempus Fugit TT) is 316W. You could maybe add a watt or two to that to allow for it being part of a 24-minute race rather than a 20-minute trial, but the ramp put my theoretical 20-minute power at 332W. What’s more, 318W at my then-weight of 72.5kg would give an Alpe time of 44:50!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I may be an outlier, but my FTP is well above 200W (226W in early December Zwift ramp test) but I've not yet managed to sustain more than 194W for an hour either out on the road or indoors.
184W best hour for stage 1 (and I was really hanging on)
169W best hour for stage 2 (but fighting a virus, so probably shouldn't count)
It could be you're a short sprint type rider. Physically and mentally, its tough to hold power for an hour at 95% of FTP. Ive only done it a few times, once setting my PB up the Alpe

bobinski

Legendary Member
Hmm always thought the 20minute power x0.95 =FTP was really optimistic, but crunching the numbers based on my last ride -basically all out one hour effort- it is pretty much exactly right

Most people will push harder going up and doing that for best part of an hour probably isnt the same as being able to psh the same numbers on the flat. Not that I am jealous of your time up the Alp...^_^

alex_cycles

Veteran
@alex_cycles , ramp tests are an entirely different kettle of fish. I did one at the end of August that put my FTP at 318W (I bailed at just gone 420W), but my best 20-minute effort (from a Tempus Fugit TT) is 316W. You could maybe add a watt or two to that to allow for it being part of a 24-minute race rather than a 20-minute trial, but the ramp put my theoretical 20-minute power at 332W. What’s more, 318W at my then-weight of 72.5kg would give an Alpe time of 44:50!
Yeah. Similar here. The week before I did that ramp test I did my first Zwift race. Crit city bell-end course (group C). :laugh:
I gave it every-bloody-thing I had. I'd had enough after 3 laps but somehow held on for 5 more. Didn't win, but 6s back from the lead.
Anyway - that gave me 224 Watts over 22:53, which means I know I can do that for 20 minutes (and I have done 226 Watts for 20 minutes on the road once).

It strikes me that all tests are flawed. If you want to know what you can do for an hour, the best thing to test is your one-hour performance not your 20 minute performance. :laugh: But I appreciate these things are models/estimates which are more practical/easier to do than measure the full thing.

I think CXRAndy's comment about the sprinty side of things might be correct though. 20-25 minutes hard effort does seem to be a sweet spot for me. Would be nice if I can train to extend that.

Top Bottom