Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Just had a power meter fitted to my Tripster XT Doere crank arm. Avio is the PM. Im going fo use it as a guide number for climbing in conjunction with HR.

I understand they aren't super accurate 5-10% but track well compared to better power meters.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Beaten by a cripple and a fat bloke!! :biggrin:

* that is, beaten by you (the cripple) and me (the fat bloke). I wasn't suggesting that you are both the cripple and the fat bloke :whistle:

I could pass for both given recent weight gain. Edged under 77 kilos in recent days but touch and go with a Brioche in the bread bin^_^

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
OK, inspired by a strava comment from @berty bassett I've been doing a bit of research - what are your thoughts on what bike to use on TDZ stage 6 up the Alpe?

If you have the "Tron" bike already, will you use that, or change to Trek Emonda and Zipp 202s?

According to this article - https://zwiftinsider.com/fastest-bike-alpe-du-zwift/ - the fastest combination up the Alpe is the Emonda with the Lightweight wheels - which you can only get if you're lucky enough to unlock them when you get to the top of the Alpe (instead of the gloves which I always get!). This combination is 18 seconds quicker up ADZ compared to the Tron bike (75kg rider at 225 watts). He hasn't tested with the Emonda and 202s but based on other tests he reckons they'd be about 11 seconds slower than the lightweights - so still 7 seconds quicker than the tron bike.

HOWEVER, there's about 10 miles of flat-ish/rolling riding before you hit the base of the Alpe when you want to be in the fastest group you can, and other tests show the tron bike is the quickest on flat or rolling terrain. So do you go with Emonda + 202's (or Lightweights if you have them) but risk losing more time in the lead-in miles to the base of ADZ than you'd gain back on the climb.....

For me this is all hypothetical as I don't think I'll have the tron bike by Saturday unless I do something like 3 ADZ climbs tonight which definitely isn't going to happen! If I did have it, I think I'd go with the Tron bike, but as I don't I think I'd lose more time on the climb than I'd gain on the flat on any other bike so I'll probably go with Emonda + 202s.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I don't have the Emonda, Not sure about the 202's, and even though it's not a race, I would prefer to know if I'm sat in the draft which you don't get on the Tron bike, which I also don't have, so for me it's either the Zwift Steely or the Allez with 404's :rofl:

bobinski

Legendary Member
OK, inspired by a strava comment from @berty bassett I've been doing a bit of research - what are your thoughts on what bike to use on TDZ stage 6 up the Alpe?

If you have the "Tron" bike already, will you use that, or change to Trek Emonda and Zipp 202s?

According to this article - https://zwiftinsider.com/fastest-bike-alpe-du-zwift/ - the fastest combination up the Alpe is the Emonda with the Lightweight wheels - which you can only get if you're lucky enough to unlock them when you get to the top of the Alpe (instead of the gloves which I always get!). This combination is 18 seconds quicker up ADZ compared to the Tron bike (75kg rider at 225 watts). He hasn't tested with the Emonda and 202s but based on other tests he reckons they'd be about 11 seconds slower than the lightweights - so still 7 seconds quicker than the tron bike.

HOWEVER, there's about 10 miles of flat-ish/rolling riding before you hit the base of the Alpe when you want to be in the fastest group you can, and other tests show the tron bike is the quickest on flat or rolling terrain. So do you go with Emonda + 202's (or Lightweights if you have them) but risk losing more time in the lead-in miles to the base of ADZ than you'd gain back on the climb.....

For me this is all hypothetical as I don't think I'll have the tron bike by Saturday unless I do something like 3 ADZ climbs tonight which definitely isn't going to happen! If I did have it, I think I'd go with the Tron bike, but as I don't I think I'd lose more time on the climb than I'd gain on the flat on any other bike so I'll probably go with Emonda + 202s.

You are taking this seriously :biggrin:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
What time are people looking at doing TdZ 6 as I have hospital visits again all weekend and trying to plan time when I can ride with some of you
I tend to aim to ride at 3 or 4 on Saturdays and Sundays. Not sure which day I'll do stage 6 yet as will depend where HID and I go tomorrow day. Be great if you could do your attempt tomorrow am so I know how long it's going to take me :biggrin:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

For me I'll be light bike and wheels rather than Tron.

I'll be on Tron later when I race a flat course .... must remember to switch before stage 6!

Top Bottom