Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I don't have the Emonda, Not sure about the 202's, and even though it's not a race, I would prefer to know if I'm sat in the draft which you don't get on the Tron bike, which I also don't have, so for me it's either the Zwift Steely or the Allez with 404's :rofl:
Have you ever started the everest challenge? Based on the amount of climbing it says you've done on ZP you would have unlocked the Emonda by now if you had. And you should have the Zipp 202s - they're unlocked at level 12. You should also have the Zwift aero bike by now as a third option too.

@Whorty mentioned the darft thing with the tron bike the other day too - not sure that would bother me. If you're right behind someone or in the middle of a group you're in the draft right? Not sure the visual cue of the rider sitting up makes much difference to me - I might change my mind when I eventually get to try the tron bike though I suppose

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Never been offered the Everest Challenge :cry: but have got the Allez and the 202's

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Challenge changed ... funny completed the California challenge some time ago, and wasn't offered a new one ... got it now though :biggrin:

OK, inspired by a strava comment from @berty bassett I've been doing a bit of research - what are your thoughts on what bike to use on TDZ stage 6 up the Alpe?

If you have the "Tron" bike already, will you use that, or change to Trek Emonda and Zipp 202s?

According to this article - https://zwiftinsider.com/fastest-bike-alpe-du-zwift/ - the fastest combination up the Alpe is the Emonda with the Lightweight wheels - which you can only get if you're lucky enough to unlock them when you get to the top of the Alpe (instead of the gloves which I always get!). This combination is 18 seconds quicker up ADZ compared to the Tron bike (75kg rider at 225 watts). He hasn't tested with the Emonda and 202s but based on other tests he reckons they'd be about 11 seconds slower than the lightweights - so still 7 seconds quicker than the tron bike.

HOWEVER, there's about 10 miles of flat-ish/rolling riding before you hit the base of the Alpe when you want to be in the fastest group you can, and other tests show the tron bike is the quickest on flat or rolling terrain. So do you go with Emonda + 202's (or Lightweights if you have them) but risk losing more time in the lead-in miles to the base of ADZ than you'd gain back on the climb.....

For me this is all hypothetical as I don't think I'll have the tron bike by Saturday unless I do something like 3 ADZ climbs tonight which definitely isn't going to happen! If I did have it, I think I'd go with the Tron bike, but as I don't I think I'd lose more time on the climb than I'd gain on the flat on any other bike so I'll probably go with Emonda + 202s.

Surely you need to write an executable macro to enable a bike swap at the bottom of the climb?

peterob

Veteran
OK, inspired by a strava comment from @berty bassett I've been doing a bit of research - what are your thoughts on what bike to use on TDZ stage 6 up the Alpe?

If you have the "Tron" bike already, will you use that, or change to Trek Emonda and Zipp 202s?

According to this article - https://zwiftinsider.com/fastest-bike-alpe-du-zwift/ - the fastest combination up the Alpe is the Emonda with the Lightweight wheels - which you can only get if you're lucky enough to unlock them when you get to the top of the Alpe (instead of the gloves which I always get!). This combination is 18 seconds quicker up ADZ compared to the Tron bike (75kg rider at 225 watts). He hasn't tested with the Emonda and 202s but based on other tests he reckons they'd be about 11 seconds slower than the lightweights - so still 7 seconds quicker than the tron bike.

HOWEVER, there's about 10 miles of flat-ish/rolling riding before you hit the base of the Alpe when you want to be in the fastest group you can, and other tests show the tron bike is the quickest on flat or rolling terrain. So do you go with Emonda + 202's (or Lightweights if you have them) but risk losing more time in the lead-in miles to the base of ADZ than you'd gain back on the climb.....

For me this is all hypothetical as I don't think I'll have the tron bike by Saturday unless I do something like 3 ADZ climbs tonight which definitely isn't going to happen! If I did have it, I think I'd go with the Tron bike, but as I don't I think I'd lose more time on the climb than I'd gain on the flat on any other bike so I'll probably go with Emonda + 202s.
It'll be the Zwift carbon bike for me with 32mm carbon wheels.....one advantage of still being at level 9 is that I don't have to worry too much about which bike to choose ^_^

Not sure when I'll ride stage 6 as I'll need to fit it around the normal weekend chores. I did the exact same course on 27th November, just before I went away so it'll be interesting to have a direct comparison to see how much fitness I have lost :ohmy:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
for me i will be either the tried and tested emonda with 202 or the specialized tarmac with 202 - havent got the lightest wheels , hope i feel fresh enough at the beginning to tuck behind everybody , then break the alpe down into bends and turn the music up

JuhaL

Guru
TT bikes don’t have draft in Zwift. I also read from Zwiftinsiders which bikes are fastest climbers. First i noticed you have to select Zipp 808 wheels, more speed more watts, so not the lightest wheels. Bikes can be tt-bikes, Cervelo, Trek Emonda.

Top Bottom