100 mile fixed gear ride - Spring 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fraid I can't say either way at the minute as I'm not back on the bike yet.

Martin
Fingers crossed then, because the more we have, the easier the ride becomes, for everyone.
77 miles today on gears checking out some of the route, written up in "Your ride today", or at least it will be, a few photos showing some of the route, which occurs to me I haven't told anyone yet :smile:.

Comprehensive route detail:
About half a mile or less of A road.
I don't usually give that much away.
10 days to go

Out of 14 possibles / interested, confirmed so far
Self
dr_pink
4F
colly
dave r
jazzkat

Waiting to hear from a few on this thread. Get your new chains on now :smile:. I put a new one on a couple of days ago, considering I change a chain once a month [on all our bikes] you would think I could sleepwalk it, wrong! Split it too short, had to keep adding bits on, ended up with 2 joining links so ordered another because the shorter chain will fit dr_pink's bike. What a pratt.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I change a chain once a month [on all our bikes]
Crikey, I'm lucky if I get through one a year on any of my bikes! You've got me worried now, I'll have to go out and check it:blink:

I'm really looking forward to this ride. It'll be nice to ride somewhere different and such a beautiful part of the country.
What's the plan with regard to food? Are we taking sandwiches or is there a planned cafe/feed stop? I don't go a bundle on gels etc, I prefer real food.

I'm travelling down on the Friday evening and I might not get access to the internet so I'll pm you- @totallyfixed , with my mobile number in case there are any last minute change of plans etc.

I'm going to change my gearing for this ride. I'm currently riding 79 inches and it's hard work up the steep stuff (especially the 15% hill that leads up to my house after a long ride!). Re-reading the previous posts it seems most of you are riding around a 70" gear. I'll probably go with this - not knowing about the terrain what do you reckon?

I've got plenty of miles in the legs and got a long ride planned for Monday, though it will be geared not fixed:shy:
In my defence it will be hilly! A friend of mine is doing the Fred Whitton next week so myself and another mutual friend are doing this route as a warm up for him.
http://www.mapmyride.com/gb/ambleside-eng/lakeland-loop-route-15392834

10 days and counting:biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I'm going to change my gearing for this ride. I'm currently riding 79 inches and it's hard work up the steep stuff (especially the 15% hill that leads up to my house after a long ride!). Re-reading the previous posts it seems most of you are riding around a 70" gear. I'll probably go with this - not knowing about the terrain what do you reckon?

I will be running 48 x 18 giving me 72" Anything in that range will be fine as at best it will be rolling rather than any steep stuff

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
considering I change a chain once a month
Crikey, I'm lucky if I get through one a year on any of my bikes! You've got me worried now, I'll have to go out and check it:blink:
I think he means that due to the size of the bike fleet at least one of them requires a new chain during a typical month, not that his bike needs a new chain every month.....

I'm really looking forward to this ride. It'll be nice to ride somewhere different and such a beautiful part of the country.
What's the plan with regard to food? Are we taking sandwiches or is there a planned cafe/feed stop? I don't go a bundle on gels etc, I prefer real food.

I'm travelling down on the Friday evening and I might not get access to the internet so I'll pm you- @totallyfixed , with my mobile number in case there are any last minute change of plans etc.

I've got plenty of miles in the legs and got a long ride planned for Monday, though it will be geared not fixed:shy:
In my defence it will be hilly! A friend of mine is doing the Fred Whitton next week so myself and another mutual friend are doing this route as a warm up for him.
http://www.mapmyride.com/gb/ambleside-eng/lakeland-loop-route-15392834
Cafe stop at approx half way, if we make good time and it is dry there is the option [route to this cafe is off road but good surface but needs to be dry] of another cafe stop at around 80 miles otherwise it is pockets full of grub / restock at any shops that are open. I am on my usual 75" so my shoulder had better be completely sorted by then. This is not a walk in the park hence the average speed will be conservative. I am not responsible for dr_pink.
10 days and counting:biggrin:
I will be running 48 x 18 giving me 72" Anything in that range will be fine as at best it will be rolling rather than any steep stuff
:whistle:.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I think he means that due to the size of the bike fleet at least one of them requires a new chain during a typical month, not that his bike needs a new chain every month.....
Duur! yes that makes sense now:smile:

Cafe stop at half way. Possible further stop at 80 miles ish depending on time. I'm on 75" so shoulder had better be ok by then or I'm walking on a couple of hills.
Sounds good to me. I might just come down to 75" then. I hate spinning down hill and would rather work harder going up.

robgul

Legendary Member
I've lost track of all this - where/when/time would be useful ... or tell me where to find the info!

Rob

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Looks like I definitely won't make it. :sad:

Had my first ride today since my off 3 weeks ago. Muscles are still very tight and pullling - and painful when I put any power down. Think it will be a few more weeks before I am anywhere near back to normal.

Big shame, I really wanted to do this one.

As I have not heard anything to the contrary, I have to assume now that it is just going to be the 6 of us. I'm watching the forecast as I type this and all I can say is that I'm glad the ride isn't on Saturday, although that could change. It certainly looks unsettled and looking at the jet stream my best guess would be for west / south westerly winds with showers, but not particularly cold. Update each night.

Top Bottom