CC Ecosse Pedal for Cake Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HonestMan1910

Über Member
Could join you from Winchburgh to Edinburgh and return

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Doing PfS the following day, can't see me getting an all weekend pass for cycling

oh well, you'll just have to make do with the "Eastern" cakes then ... no "you'll have had yer tea" jokes please :rolleyes: , or the baker might go on strike :ohmy: . She is busy studying recipes :reading: ...

Hope the PfS feed stations are better this year, last year's offerings were a bit sparse (plenty of "fresh'n'lo" though), but apparently their food sponsor pulled out a few days before the event :eek: .

T

HonestMan1910

Über Member
oh well, you'll just have to make do with the "Eastern" cakes then ... no "you'll have had yer tea" jokes please :rolleyes: , or the baker might go on strike :ohmy: . She is busy studying recipes :reading: ...

Hope the PfS feed stations are better this year, last year's offerings were a bit sparse (plenty of "fresh'n'lo" though), but apparently their food sponsor pulled out a few days before the event :eek: .

T

Only stop i had last year was in Kirkliston and was glad that was the case after hearing about the fiasco at the others

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Only stop i had last year was in Kirkliston and was glad that was the case after hearing about the fiasco at the others

I guess my disappointment was mainly due to the expectations I had built up, after hearing about the amazing spread at the 2008 event ...
Unfortunately the queues at Avonbridge were very long, so we thought we'd move on to Linlithgow, where there was quite a wait, too. But by that time I was quite hungry and thirsty, it had been a long time since breakfast, with an early start. And I hadn't brought my own things, after the high praise from the previous year's riders. The cup-a-soups and dry rolls were a bit hard to swallow:sad: , but no problems with bananas & tunnocks! :smile:

sleekitcollie

I guess my disappointment was mainly due to the expectations I had built up, after hearing about the amazing spread at the 2008 event ...
Unfortunately the queues at Avonbridge were very long, so we thought we'd move on to Linlithgow, where there was quite a wait, too. But by that time I was quite hungry and thirsty, it had been a long time since breakfast, with an early start. And I hadn't brought my own things, after the high praise from the previous year's riders. The cup-a-soups and dry rolls were a bit hard to swallow:sad: , but no problems with bananas & tunnocks! :smile:

if u can startas early as poss u miss out on the queues . and yes they were let down by supplier last year but year b4 pasta etc was really good .

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
if u can startas early as poss u miss out on the queues . and yes they were let down by supplier last year but year b4 pasta etc was really good .

That was the plan, we were at Victoria Park before 7AM (6:30?), where they were queuing round the houses already. It took us more than 1.5 hours just to get on a bus, which then went the wrong way on the motorway ... apparently the driver had only been handed a photocopy of a rough sketch rather than a proper map by the organisers. Luckily there was a local on the bus who managed to guide the driver safely to the destination. Despite this delay, we ended up waiting another hour or so for our bikes to arrive and be unloaded off the lorry! We went through the starting gates around the time they were originally wanting to close the ride ...
Not sure when the last bus from Edinburgh arrived at the start, they must have been at least an hour behind us ...

I hope the PfS organisers have listened to the many constructive comments they received, so it SHOULD be much better this year!

Sorry, back on topic ... the PfC will of course be flawlessy organised, and the catering will be second to none :whistle: ...

Speaking of which, do we have a start time and ETA in Edinburgh yet?

T

OP
OP
M

magnatom

As we have a fair amount of riding to do, I think the start time should be fairly early, allowing as much time for buns and natter as possible. I'll probably leave my house in Torrance at 9am with anyone who cares to join me there. It's about 3 miles to Bishopbriggs station from there, so being generous we could meet people there at about 9:30am. From there assuming approx 50 miles at 15mph pace would get us to Edinburgh for just after 12pm. 14mph would get us there about 12:30 ish. If we stop on the way, 1pm would be our aim. Still in time for lunch.

So an hour for eats, leaving about 2pm, would get us back to Torrance about 5:30pm. Perfectly timed for some eats! :smile:

If the course is as flat as suggested, then our speeds may be higher, and we may have more time for stops or finish in Torrance earlier.

How do these times sound, or should we aim to leave Torrance earlier to leave more time? If anyone is coming from the East to Bishopbriggs there are plenty of trains, that take about 55 mins with 1 change. You could catch the 5:55am train if you wanted us to get a really early start! :ohmy::biggrin:

What are your thoughts folks?

As we have a fair amount of riding to do, I think the start time should be fairly early, allowing as much time for buns and natter as possible. I'll probably leave my house in Torrance at 9am with anyone who cares to join me there. It's about 3 miles to Bishopbriggs station from there, so being generous we could meet people there at about 9:30am. From there assuming approx 50 miles at 15mph pace would get us to Edinburgh for just after 12pm. 14mph would get us there about 12:30 ish. If we stop on the way, 1pm would be our aim. Still in time for lunch.

So an hour for eats, leaving about 2pm, would get us back to Torrance about 5:30pm. Perfectly timed for some eats! :smile:

If the course is as flat as suggested, then our speeds may be higher, and we may have more time for stops or finish in Torrance earlier.

How do these times sound, or should we aim to leave Torrance earlier to leave more time? If anyone is coming from the East to Bishopbriggs there are plenty of trains, that take about 55 mins with 1 change. You could catch the 5:55am train if you wanted us to get a really early start! :ohmy::biggrin:

What are your thoughts folks?
Earlier would be better for the folks cycling back to Edinburgh/ Dunfermline. The nights unfortunately are drawing in bit (according to time and date 7:41pm)

No-one else had commented on it, so if you agree it looks good then we could go for that.

Should this also be the route back from Edinburgh, or should we mix things up a little?

I've took this slightly more direct route to Kilsyth when I've wanted to go up the Tak Ma Doon Road. Its not a bad route either but its a bit of a sustained climb going from Falkirk to the aptly named California ( just ask poor Touche I dragged him up in his fixie after last years Falkirk ride) its mostly downhill after that to Edinburgh :smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I've took this slightly more direct route to Kilsyth when I've wanted to go up the Tak Ma Doon Road. Its not a bad route either but its a bit of a sustained climb going from Falkirk to the aptly named California ( just ask poor Touche I dragged him up in his fixie after last years Falkirk ride) its mostly downhill after that to Edinburgh :smile:

I'd be happy with that, I suppose it depends on what everyone else is looking for. I suppose there would be a route over the Tak as well....:whistle:;)

Top Bottom