Celebrity deaths that have got to you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Wouter Weylandt.
Watching it happen on live TV was pretty grim and still makes me shudder occasionally if it comes to mind.
I had to switch the TV off when the cameras spent too long on Domenico Pozzovivo recently on the Giro, who, at the time, looked like he was suffering the same fate.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Never get upset about celebs dying. My own family is far more important.
I don't think people are implying that they think more of Ant & Dec than their kids:rolleyes:

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
It sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Investing emotional extremes or inventing parallelisms between yourself and any given celebrity seems ridiculous and childlike by contrast.
I think you're seriously over egging the level of interest invested by people, There's no extremes or parallelism involved in my experience nor am I reading it in any of the other answers.

In no way am I comparing the deaths of two people who's musical/literary output I still enjoy a lot in the same manner as the death of my father or close friends or relatives and again I don't see that in other responses.

You are inventing and externalising extreme emotional responses onto people which really aren't there.

Others seem to be taking it into getting upset too. Again upset is over egging it IMO, I don't know other peoples emotional ranges, but for me sadness and upset are two different things.

Last edited:
Adrienne Shelley. I saw her in a couple of Hal Hartley films in the early nineties and she struck me enough to occasionally check IMDB to see what she was up to. i was waiting for her to make .... I'm not sure what, but I was waiting for it.

Then I watched a video review program and they reviewed a film was directed by her. The reviewer remarked, it was the last film she made before her murder. Tears streamed down my face.

I later watched the film, Waitress. It turns out this was exactly the sort of thing I was waiting for her to make.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
.. And Bonj! Is he alive or dead? Have they found his body yet?
Gone off to Syria to join IS I believe.

It's not particularly celebrity I find. Some deaths make me sad as there's some connection, empathy if you like, others because they're tragic. Any young life ending tends to make me sad. Celebrity of course if there's some investment. Strangely I found no connection with the Diana death, the reaction left me surprised, even if I understood its reasons and felt sorry for the two boys losing their mother so young.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I found no connection with the Diana death
I made myself quite unpopular at the time with a number of friends and acquaintances by making it clear when questioned how nauseated I was by the flood of mawkish 'grief' on display for this 'people's princess' who'd died with her parasitic playboy boyfriend driving back from a nightclub through the streets of a major city at a speed which showed just how above and apart from 'the people' such people felt themselves to be.

I honestly can't say I've ever been touched by a celebrity's death. Why should I? I don't know any. The whole thing strikes me as just one manifestation of the whole sleb culture, which I see as just a sign of a nation's fundamental immaturity and lack of imagination.

Booyaa

Veteran
Kurt Cobain, at the time I loved his music and had a ticket to see him on Nirvana's tour.
George best, not so much for the sadness of him dying but for the utter waste of a talent and chances he had been given by so many others.

postman

Legendary Member
I am being serious here,i am 65 and when you read about the deaths of sportsmen and tv stars that you watched.These people entertained you while you were growing up.Then they have gone,only this year i began to think i wonder how long i have left.There is one good note,my Doctor told me i was one of his fittest pensioners.Great news is that,keep cycling Bob.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I made myself quite unpopular at the time with a number of friends and acquaintances by making it clear when questioned how nauseated I was by the flood of mawkish 'grief' on display for this 'people's princess' who'd died with her parasitic playboy boyfriend driving back from a nightclub through the streets of a major city at a speed which showed just how above and apart from 'the people' such people felt themselves to be.

I honestly can't say I've ever been touched by a celebrity's death. Why should I? I don't know any. The whole thing strikes me as just one manifestation of the whole sleb culture, which I see as just a sign of a nation's fundamental immaturity and lack of imagination.

i rarely aggree with your view But thats bang on sir..

Top Bottom