England : Lancashire ColinJ's 103 km or 107 mile 'Back from the Dead' forum ride Sat 29/03/14

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!

The profile doesnt look too bad just a bit of a lump at the beginning then its flat

colinj_ride_profile_zps0d19acf5.jpg

Steve H

Large Member
Just 24 hours left to lose the two stone I need to in order to get up the Trough. It's a long-shot...

The profile doesnt look too bad just a bit of a lump at the beginning then its flat

colinj_ride_profile_zps0d19acf5.jpg
It's amazing how 2 graphs can be made to look completely different, depending on the x axis, squash the above graph a bit and it will look horrendous. Personally if we want to know how hilly a route is that we have never done before we look at the contours on a 1:50.000 map, and there is an arrow on this route. All you need to know really, oh and it is about 18% so no big deal really.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
It's amazing how 2 graphs can be made to look completely different, depending on the x axis, squash the above graph a bit and it will look horrendous. Personally if we want to know how hilly a route is that we have never done before we look at the contours on a 1:50.000 map, and there is an arrow on this route. All you need to know really, oh and it is about 18% so no big deal really.

Think how tall @potsy would be if we squashed him a bit.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I always adjust the height of my profile plots so the dotted lines at 50m intervals are just about to disappear, and that way I achieve consistency and can compare like with like. As tf points out, software can make mountains out of molehills, but also molehills out of mountains!

Most of the lumpiness is of the rolling or gently dragging kind. The 2 notable exceptions are at the top of the Trough, and the little climb after the bridge over the Ribble at Ribchester.

It seems that the wind is going to be a big factor tomorrow. Fortunately, it should be behind us as we ascend the Trough of Bowland. That will make it a lot easier. We will be blown to Glasson Dock, which is pretty much downhill all the way from the summit, so expect to be riding faster for less effort. Enjoy your cake because the cross/headwind on the way back will be hard work!

I don't know if any of you have not ridden in a large group before. In case you haven't, remember to point out any hazards coming up to riders behind you - they can only see your back rather than the pothole/gravel/sheep/oncoming vehicle!

Be predictable by avoiding swerves and sudden braking.

Leave a vehicle-sized gap every 7 or 8 riders so motorists can overtake in stages rather than trying to pass us all in one risky manoeuvre.

If you don't know where you are going, follow someone who does!

Shout to the riders in front if you or the riders behind have a problem. Let's try and stick to 3 or 4 groups and not leave any stragglers behind!

Carry enough food and drink to get you to the cafe, and refuel there to get you back to Spring Wood.

Carry a lock for the cafe stop. Let's lock our bikes together so a would-be thief would have to deal with multiple locks. The sun should be shining so I will be happy to sit outside and watch over the bikes if somebody will order for me.

Do carry some tools and spares! It has only happened once or twice on my rides, but apart from in exceptional circumstances, you really should not have to scrounge tubes etc. from other riders ...

Take lots of photos! We must make an effort to get a decent one taken at the start before we split up, never to all be together again.

Oh, one last thing ... consider taping a piece of paper bearing your forum name and/or forename to your top tube to make it easier to ID each other?

Glad you and your lad can make it, Gti - don't drink too much at the works party! :laugh:

See y'all in the morning.

Last edited:
I know who I'll be riding alongside :hungry::mrpig: ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Do we have to shave our legs, Colin?

More seriously - were you planning on stopping at Puddleducks in Dunsop Bridge? I notice that you are avoiding the steep downhill opposite the Inn at Whitewell - this is one of our regular rides so we might take the directissimo route (shorter but steep downhill) and wait for you at DB, either at the cafe or at the start of the Trough road, whatever you prefer. If the cafe option is on, I might even be able to pass advance drinks orders to Trevor and Louise so they have time to prepare drinks for the main group.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Wind forecast for midday (mph!) ...

wind forecast.jpg

We will be riding roughly from where it says Clitheroe to where it says Heysham, and returning via where it says Catterall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Do we have to shave our legs, Colin?

More seriously - were you planning on stopping at Puddleducks in Dunsop Bridge? I notice that you are avoiding the steep downhill opposite the Inn at Whitewell - this is one of our regular rides so we might take the directissimo route (shorter but steep downhill) and wait for you at DB, either at the cafe or at the start of the Trough road, whatever you prefer. If the cafe option is on, I might even be able to pass advance drinks orders to Trevor and Louise so they have time to prepare drinks for the main group.
Leg shaving is optional! (Before I became ill, my legs had naturally lost most of their hair. Since then, it has started growing back. Perhaps it is where the missing hair from my head has moved to! :laugh:

There will definitely NOT be a cafe stop before Glasson Dock - we will only just have got properly warmed up by the time we get to Dunsop Bridge so we will head straight on up the Trough road. ETA at the start of Trough Rd approx. 11:20, subject to no mechanicals or other problems.

If you are going to Puddleducks first, make sure that you are back at the junction by about 11:10-11:15. If not, why not wait by the Inn at Whitewell?

NB Mobile phone reception is poor/absent from Whitewell right round to the far side of the fells, so we will not be able to phone each other in that area. If you think you have missed us, chase!

Planning on setting off from Ingleton around 7am for a nice steady ride into the wind to Whalley, no mud guards so hope the roads are dry :ph34r:

Top Bottom