Scotland : Edinburgh & Lothians Future CC Ecosse Ride suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If memory serves I was there, too :tongue:

The view from the top of the Tak is much better than that from half way up the Crow. You do have to work hard to earn it, though.

Looking back at the route suggestion posted by @Edwardoka , I would suggest shifting the start to Lenzie (or possibly Croy) to make it easier for easterners to attend, and reversing the route, so you 1) get the car park break on the way up the crow and 2) Avoid the horrible road surface on the busy A81 heading north out of Strathblane.
Yes i suggested a Lenzie start to keep the mileage in check and all the trains stop there:thumbsup:
There are a few options depending on weather conditions.
1. A lowland route along @Edwardoka suggestion but without the climb
2. The Crow Rd loop taking in both Tak and Crow Rd....choose favourite direction :smile:
3 Pick one climb and go out back of Fintry and return Via Strathblane
4. For giggles just go up and down both climbs.......:tongue:

Last edited:

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I mapped out possible rides from Lenzie taking on the Crow or the Tak. Distance kept a bit on the short side due to the slight bump...

I think there's a cafe in Balfron which could work well as a cake stop.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Just wondering about the long stretches of A roads ... I don't know the area well enough - are these not rather busy and fast roads for a social ride?

T

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Just wondering about the long stretches of A roads ... I don't know the area well enough - are these not rather busy and fast roads for a social ride?

T
A81 and A803 are both fine. A little busy but wide enough to enable overtakes. Haven't done that particular stretch of the A811, but on the stretch further west it is slightly unpleasantly fast. It's used a lot by cyclists, though, so drivers tend to behave. None of them are particularly social-friendly, but there are not many options in this area. If taking on the Tak, there is the option of taking the smaller road through Twechar between Kirkintilloch and Kilsyth.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Any bits of the A811 I have done (very short ones) were very unpleasant - stupidly close & fast passes, was very glad to be able to turn off onto wee roads again quickly (I do commute on busy A roads every day, so not particularly easily scared)... my vote would be for anything that avoids the A811, even if it means going back up a wee incline from whence we came ... :blush:

T

Any bits of the A811 I have done (very short ones) were very unpleasant - stupidly close & fast passes, was very glad to be able to turn off onto wee roads again quickly (I do commute on busy A roads every day, so not particularly easily scared)... my vote would be for anything that avoids the A811, even if it means going back up a wee incline from whence we came ... :blush:

T
Can always go towards Killearn from Fintry.....

Last edited:

Fubar

Guru
Another blast from the past for me, it looks like the proposed routes pass the house my grandparents used to live in (outside Blanefield on the Duntreath Estate) - they weren't wealthy, just worked on the estate until they got too old and were kicked out. Many a happy childhood spent hitting golf balls from my Grandpa's immaculate lawn...

Are we talking March? Need to make sure I don't overbook myself and think of the logistics.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
How about a mid-late March outing in the east, starting from Edinburgh or Longniddry?

Option 1 - Edinburgh/Longniddry - Gifford (cafe stop) - Longniddry/Edinburgh
The Longniddry loop here is 42 k (26 M) long, with extra distance for anybody wanting to start from Edinburgh (train station or elsewhere, depending on transport mode), about the same distance from to Waverley to Longniddry & back, so ~80k/50 miles in total, with optional sausage casserole/soup Chez T's after the ride, if required

Option 2 - Edinburgh into Midlothian - Gladhouse Reservoir, approx. 55 km/35 M, map here, similar to November's almost-hypothermia ride (this time WITH Polton Mill climb for those who are desperate to try it), post-ride food available if required

If there is enough interest, I'll start a new thread

T

Last edited:
Top Bottom