Shortage of bricks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
Houses are made with a wooden structure here and sometimes bricks as a facade although the facade is more often vinyl. It seems like they only take a couple of weeks to build (the concrete footing takes longer to cure) and, a fireman told me, 4 minutes to burn down.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The shortage is a supply and demand issue,brick making had a down time when the building industry was struggling,kilns shut down people laid off hours reduced etc,
Now more traditional new builds springing up and the brick kilns are in full operation again,they just can't keep up and have very little back stock,it's been the case for over a year
Alternatives are! Our main part of the house is made of chalk,Cobb ,dig a well extract the chalk ,shutter and press it in ,damp course is flints,dry line inside and lime render outside over chicken wire,been standing for years now

Wattle and daub.... can't beat mixing cow manure and straw by hand. That's why Conservation Officers love the stuff.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Turning a kiln back on isn't like turning an oven on, it takes a million years to get up to speed. Another reason is that as soon as a shortage gets mentioned all the big builders start over ordering and make it worse, putting deliveries out on stuff they don't actually need.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Turning a kiln back on isn't like turning an oven on, it takes a million years to get up to speed. Another reason is that as soon as a shortage gets mentioned all the big builders start over ordering and make it worse, putting deliveries out on stuff they don't actually need.

A million year lead time, that's quite something

"A million years to get up to speed" Then I think we should start building houses out of Ginger Bread ....:smile:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
don't diss those bookcases they've been fantastic

I've put up loads of Billy's, I reckon I could win an Olympic gold if they had a flat pack Billy assembly event.

Top Bottom