£1000 to spend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dougster

With a budget of a grand should I go for Focus Cayo 105 (£824 from Wiggle) and have some change for some pedals etc. or a Boardman Team Carbon from Halfords (1p.change from £1000). Or is there a better option for the money?

Garz

Squat Member
I own a boardman and love it, however noticed a thread on another forum that already has it listed recently there is a raleigh avanti from wiggle on a lot of discount that would sway me tbh.

The money you save could be spent on some great kit to make your cycling even more fun! ;)

aserota

Über Member
Just received my Planet X SL Carbon and it seems mighty impressive for the money. Wouldnt really recommend it for a commuting bike, more a racer (although i will use it daily)

AlanW

Guru
The key is to try and establish which frame fits you the best? Deals are only any good if the bike is the right size for you.

Hopefully you will be spending a long time sat on your bike, so you do need to get this right.

Anything else thereafter is mere personal choice.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
The Carbon Planet X with full Ultegra groupset is the bargain of the moment. 1k for a carbon frame, with a near £500 groupset is cracking good value

bad boy

Über Member
Steve Austin said:
The Carbon Planet X with full Ultegra groupset is the bargain of the moment. 1k for a carbon frame, with a near £500 groupset is cracking good value

I agree its good value but doesn't the age old adage you get what you pay for apply when it comes to sub 1k carbon bikes ??.

If a 1k carbon framed bike comes with Ultegra and we know how much that groupset costs then how much is the frame worth ? (not very much at all). I was told this was the one of the single most important factors when considering a bike along with fit but I may be talking crap.

Im interested in these views as im also in the market for a new bike and have been looking at the planet X but am not sure for a few reasons namely the above.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Just to throw my tuppence worth in...a few clubmates ride the Cayo and have many good things to say about them.

With the planet X- they could just be lowering the profit margins and bulk ordering components so that they get a hefty discount. What's important to determine for frame is where it's manufactured rather than outlay cost ie you'll get a few good deals such as Ribble who manufacture some of their frames through Italian comps ie Dedacciai.

BB - not decided on a bike yet?

Garz

Squat Member
Bad boy, whilst I agree about your frame price ideology ttcycle has enhanced steve's reasoning. The frame wont be that bad and the groupset makes it a fantastic buy, due to the bulk buying and surplus stocks they can waive the fee as otherwise it would be just old(dead) stock.

bad boy

Über Member
Yes I agree tt its just knowing the difference between whats a worth while investment and not.

Me personally, if carbon was something I was definitely was aiming for then I might be inclined to spend a little more, but then I may have been misguided.

tt Im still deciding what I want to do next season and that will determine the bike I suppose, might do my first tri or something similar.

I was training for the tough guy challenge which is in a few weeks. My mate is an army PFT and took me to the beacons for a "high walk" I think he called it which basically is a 26k run over the marshland. To say I was beaten is an understatement although I gave it everything and his goal was for me to fail, just so he could prove a point.

I reckon I could do the TG challenge but have put that back till next year now, its a horrible event hence the name no bikes involved for those that dont know it google it and look at the vids it well earns its name.

Be interested to know if anyone here has done it ?.

bad boy

Über Member
Garz said:
Bad boy, whilst I agree about your frame price ideology ttcycle has enhanced steve's reasoning. The frame wont be that bad and the groupset makes it a fantastic buy, due to the bulk buying and surplus stocks they can waive the fee as otherwise it would be just old(dead) stock.

Absolutely to be honest Garz, like I say im in a similar situation and may have been misguided by other peoples opinions when given to me previously.

I just think at this price point it should be noted there are some decent alu framed bikes out there and just because there are a few carbon bikes out there at this price range they should jump to the top of the list.

Obviously alot depends on what you want to do with it however.

If I could use my scheme voucher at Halfrauds then I would go for the Team carbon purely on the basis that 99.9% of everyone that owns one has nothing but good things to say about it.

Apologies to the OP I dont want to divert off topic.

bad boy said:
I just think at this price point it should be noted there are some decent alu framed bikes out there and just because there are a few carbon bikes out there at this price range they should jump to the top of the list.

Obviously alot depends on what you want to do with it however.

Very true......but i still think all the carbon one's already mentioned are absolute bargains.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Crikey Badboy that's one hell of a regime your mate put you through-I had a colleague who was going to enter that but went for a marathon instead and plans to cycle round the world...

good luck with choosing a new machine...sounds like there's even more to consider...but don't think too long - you'll need a bike to train for a tri!

bad boy

Über Member
User76 said:
I have the Horse Brass to prove it. It was just plain f'ing stupid, and there is no way I would do it again. Pointless durgery and it f'ing hurt, I was cut to pieces, then dunked in the river of horse pooxx(

Just buy yourself a horse brass and forget it. It really is the only event I have ever done I would never do again, I got a decent time as well.

Well done Maggot, atleast you can say that now you have completed it.

I think ive got to have ago see for myself, although I dont like the idea of running through those electric wires that shock you after getting out that lake.

Top Bottom