£200 saved for a two minute call

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
At my wife's prompting I just rang Plusnet quoting Martin Lewis and threatening to leave. They immediately offered me a deal at two-thirds the price for exactly the same thing. So I avoid the hassle of moving suppliers (been down that route before...shudder), but save £13 a month for the next 18 months. Result! (FWIW, I checked the best deal they offer to new customers and quoted it to them - that's the one they immediately ok'd for me. Good place to start if you fancy doing something similar.)

Mo1959

Legendary Member
At my wife's prompting I just rang Plusnet quoting Martin Lewis and threatening to leave. They immediately offered me a deal at two-thirds the price for exactly the same thing. So I avoid the hassle of moving suppliers (been down that route before...shudder), but save £13 a month for the next 18 months. Result! (FWIW, I checked the best deal they offer to new customers and quoted it to them - that's the one they immediately ok'd for me. Good place to start if you fancy doing something similar.)
Friggin annoys me the way the deals are all for new customers..........no reward for loyalty these days. :sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did a similar thing and got a reduction to about £20/month.

On top of that I recommended a few people to sign up to Plusnet and get an extra reduction for every month that they stay with the company. I now pay £15/month for landline and 16 Mb broadband. If you know anybody who is looking to change to a new phone/broadband supplier, check out REFERRALS.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
PS They had a habit of quietly switching users to higher tariffs once special offer subscriptions finished. OFCOM are putting a stop to that practice - now they will have to give you notice of any increase. As soon as they do, say "No thanks - give me my current price or I am off!".
A mate I told an hour ago checked his bank statement to find Virgin had quietly upped his monthly payments to £44. So he rang them and they've agreed to refund the 'excess' since they upped the price, plus put him on a new 12 month contract at £30/m. Another £200.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My water bill for this year has just gone down by a whole 81 pence per month. Saving me £8.10 for the year.:cheers:.
But seriously, for the last few years I have shopped around, but generally by phoning and talking to the company, with the threat of leaving normally reduces the cost, not always but it pays to ask.

ColinJ

My water bill for this year has just gone down by a whole 81 pence per month. Saving me £8.10 for the year.:cheers:.
But seriously, for the last few years I have shopped around, but generally by phoning and talking to the company, with the threat of leaving normally reduces the cost, not always but it pays to ask.
Funnily enough, I just got my water bill. It has gone up by £15 since last year.

I just ran the numbers through an online calculator and it looks like I could save around £100 a year by getting a water meter so I think I'll get in touch with Yorkshire Water to have one fitted. There is a 2 year evaluation period in which I could change my mind, so I am not stuck with metered bills it if they somehow end up higher than without the meter.

I believe that any future occupants of the house would be stuck with the meter, but that isn't my concern, and I think it makes ecological sense to try to reduce water consumption anyway.

Smudge

Veteran
I comparison the best price and get them to match it every year with Plusnet, in fact i do it with all bills. The ones that wont lose me as a customer.
They only rip you off if you let them.

Drago

Legendary Member
Funnily enough, I just got my water bill. It has gone up by £15 since last year.

I just ran the numbers through an online calculator and it looks like I could save around £100 a year by getting a water meter so I think I'll get in touch with Yorkshire Water to have one fitted. There is a 2 year evaluation period in which I could change my mind, so I am not stuck with metered bills it if they somehow end up higher than without the meter.

I believe that any future occupants of the house would be stuck with the meter, but that isn't my concern, and I think it makes ecological sense to try to reduce water consumption anyway.
Why do you need a meter to tell you to use less water? Could you not just, well, use less?

ColinJ

Why do you need a meter to tell you to use less water? Could you not just, well, use less?
I've just reread what I posted... I meant that any future inhabitants of the house will have the meter to 'encourage' them to reduce their use of water. I am a sad singleton who doesn't use much water, so I think it makes sense for me to be charged less.

Top Bottom