£2000 road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
If you were to buy one of these ~£2k bikes, which would you have and why...

I realise that my requirements will differ from yours and the only way I should decide is to ride them, but which would you choose ?

• Specialized Roubaix Comp (2011 105)
  • Specialized Tarmac Comp (2011 105)
  • Basso Laguna (105 or Veloce)
  • Cannondale Super Six (2011 105)
  • Kuota Kebel (2011 105)
  • Boardman ProCarbon (SRAM Force)

Any others around this price range that I should consider ?
I can try all of these (bar the Boardman) at my LBS but wanted to garner some ideas before I do that.

Any advice / reviews / considerations would be appreciated
thumbsup.png

Daniel.

If you were to buy one of these ~£2k bikes, which would you have and why...

I realise that my requirements will differ from yours and the only way I should decide is to ride them, but which would you choose ?

• Specialized Roubaix Comp (2011 105)
  • Specialized Tarmac Comp (2011 105)
  • Basso Laguna (105 or Veloce)
  • Cannondale Super Six (2011 105)
  • Kuota Kebel (2011 105)
  • Boardman ProCarbon (SRAM Force)

Any others around this price range that I should consider ?
I can try all of these (bar the Boardman) at my LBS but wanted to garner some ideas before I do that.

Any advice / reviews / considerations would be appreciated
thumbsup.png

Daniel.

Not Scientific at all and I dare say they are all nice bikes but I'd be tempted to go for the Basso Laguna as I've not seem many of them on the road, I like that ;) I searched the forum and there was quite a good review of it earlier this year; aparrently it was up for bike radar bike of the year:
A great-looking Italian bike that falls at the racier end of the race/sportive spectrum. Cycling Plus's resident racers Paul Vincent and George Ramelkamp loved its directness and fast handling, but the Laguna won’t be ideal for those looking for long distance comfort.
A minor point I did a quick google of it and wiggle sell both the 2010 105 and veloce model for sub £1500 ( I prefer the colour scheme of the 105 :blush: )

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
For me, it would have to be the roubaix because 1- I have a secteur and find it comfortable and 2- I like the 105 components.
Though Im sure all those bikes are good, just different.

bobones

Veteran
By all accounts the Roubaix is a very comfortable bike for long distance riding, while the Tarmac is much more a race machine. Speccy's could be a bit too common though. I do like the look of the Basso and I would think the Boardman is great value for money but the Halfords stigma could be a concern. I'm not inspired by the looks of the Cannondale or Kuoto, but they're undoubtedly great bikes. I suppose you should probably add the Trek Madone and Felt AR to your list for consideration; however, if I were spending that kind of dosh I would also be looking at something from Wilier or Colnago (campag naturally) for sheer posing value.

avsd

Guru
I would go for the Cannondale Super Six (2011 105) as tI like the brand have a Synapse with Ultegra and my LBS sell Cannondale and their support and advice is excellent.

Norm

Entirely unscientific from me, as you'll see from the reasons I give.

I'd be tempted initially by the Roubaix as I have the Secteur and it's the pinnacle of that range. I'm built for comfort rather than speed and the Secteur / Roubaix reflects that more than the Tarmac does. However, they are, as pointed out above, fairly regularly spotted machines and I'd be looking for something special for £2k. It might be about the pose but I'd want to get some ownership satisfaction if I was blowing that on a bike and the thought that someone might mistake it for a £500 model would always niggle. I'd also skip Giant or Trek for the same reason.

And, indeed, the same only more so, applies to the Boardman. I struggle to spend £150 on a Halfords bike, I'd never spend £2k. I care about the bike and the ride and the components, but there are plenty of other fantastic names on frames and there are just too many ninjas on BSOs from Halfords.

I'd love a Van Nicholas titanium wonder, maybe a Yukon or an Amazon / Amazon Cross or a Chinook if you want a more focused ride.

I'd also think about visiting Paul Hewitt up in Lancashire, to get something built up for me.

Something in the Bianchi celeste would be nice, and Orbea have also got significant appeal.

Bottom line, as always, is to go for whichever one fits you best for the riding you'll be doing and the roads you'll be doing it on. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
amnesia

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
By all accounts the Roubaix is a very comfortable bike for long distance riding, while the Tarmac is much more a race machine. Speccy's could be a bit too common though. I do like the look of the Basso and I would think the Boardman is great value for money but the Halfords stigma could be a concern. I'm not inspired by the looks of the Cannondale or Kuoto, but they're undoubtedly great bikes. I suppose you should probably add the Trek Madone and Felt AR to your list for consideration; however, if I were spending that kind of dosh I would also be looking at something from Wilier or Colnago (campag naturally) for sheer posing value.

I like the Basso too, purely for looks. I don't think I have ever seen one on the road, which is also appealing.

Basso for me. I simply like the look of it.
I also like the pinarello's :tongue: but you don't have one on your list.

The F2 is £2k and my LBS does those too - good spot
thumbsup.png

Entirely unscientific from me, as you'll see from the reasons I give.

I'd be tempted initially by the Roubaix as I have the Secteur and it's the pinnacle of that range. I'm built for comfort rather than speed and the Secteur / Roubaix reflects that more than the Tarmac does. However, they are, as pointed out above, fairly regularly spotted machines and I'd be looking for something special for £2k. It might be about the pose but I'd want to get some ownership satisfaction if I was blowing that on a bike and the thought that someone might mistake it for a £500 model would always niggle. I'd also skip Giant or Trek for the same reason.

Agreed - I expect I would love the Tarmac, but it does look a bit like an Allez which is 1/2 the price
angry.gif

Despite it's reviews, the Cannondale looks a bit bland too.

And, indeed, the same only more so, applies to the Boardman. I struggle to spend £150 on a Halfords bike, I'd never spend £2k. I care about the bike and the ride and the components, but there are plenty of other fantastic names on frames and there are just too many ninjas on BSOs from Halfords.

My Boardman Team Ltd actually gets a lot of comments on rides, but then it is white and looks different from all the other Boardman models. It is practically impossible to tell the difference between the black ProCarbon and the black TeamCarbon unless you know what you're looking for.

I'd also think about visiting Paul Hewitt up in Lancashire, to get something built up for me.

Something in the Bianchi celeste would be nice, and Orbea have also got significant appeal.

Bottom line, as always, is to go for whichever one fits you best for the riding you'll be doing and the roads you'll be doing it on. :thumbsup:

I would like to support my LBS, although they do Linksey titanium frames
whistling.gif

I will pop along to my LBS tomorrow and have a look at them - cheers everyone :biggrin:

Iain p

Saw the new pinarello's myself only this week and the basso for that matter,was at woodrup cycles in leeds.
In the flesh they look the dogs danglies :becool: .
Wish i could go to a f2 :tongue:, got my eyes on the f1. It's more than enough bike for me.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Personally, i think any bike that is £2k and has only got a 105 groupset is overpriced.

My mate just got a Kuota with 105 for £1k, the carbon version was £1500. She had the one with alu frame/carbon forks and the frame weight was 1100 grams which isn't any more than carbon weight. I think Specialized are becoming overpriced, and they are just cashing in on the name. Plus it's a gorgeous colour (very important to a girl)

I think the Boardman always get top reviews.

Top Bottom