2015 Cycling Resolutions - What's yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Snake Pass in 20 minutes. This will require me to get 10% lighter, 10% fitter or wait for a westerly hurricane

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I want to do a 200km audax in less than 11 hours (total), which will involve me riding quicker than normal and faffing less. I also intend to do more utility cycling as I've let that slip rather over the last year and used the car more.

Finally I'm going to tour somewhere outside of the UK for the first time this year.

Hyslop

Veteran
To be able to afford,and then to buy something very expensive/exclusive.All well and good,the next part is the really hard bit.I then need to be able to ride this bike(which will clearly be suitable only for a rider far more talented than I)in public slowly enough to give the impression that I could ride faster....if I wanted,but am simply allowing the proletariat a good look before I race away.Wont happen!

bikeman66

My main goal (which I set myself in August 2014) is to ride the 22km Bedoin route up Mont Ventoux, and then enjoy the fast descent down the other side to Macaulene.

The second goal, which is a pretty big deal, is to launch my cycling based business project, which will hopefully provide me with an income sufficient to mean I can kiss goodbye to the building trade and the cumulative toll it takes on your body.

Third (but not directly cycling related) is be able to take my daughter to start her Sports and Exercise Science degree at her first choice university, Loughborough! She has be given a reduced entry offer of A, A, B, so I'm really hoping all her tireless hard work will see her attain those grades in biology, chemistry and PE.

Any major distances or personal bests after the three listed above will be a welcome bonus.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Use the Garmin less. This has already started.
You cannae do that! How will I keep track of you? :smooch: ermm, I meant, how will I know how the training is going? :biggrin:
Forgot to mention I (we) should try a wee Audax in 2015, need the Garmins to not get lost!

robotron

My first resolution is to not fall of and damage my knee on my first ride of the year (Jan 2nd 2014 for those that are interested).
It led to me having to stay off the bike for 3 months...

Other resolutions include, more miles, better miles (faster, steeper etc.) and hopefully riding the Way of the Roses at some point in 2015, probably over 2 days.
http://wayoftheroses.info/

Also, getting my Mrs a new bike and her joining me for some of the shorter rides to begin with, and working up to longer ones.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
I also intend to do more utility cycling as I've let that slip rather over the last year and used the car more.
opposite here, commute will drop in september from 15 miles per day to 10 miles per day, whilst my working day will go up from 5.5 hrs a day to about 10 hrs a day both at 5 days a week. :sad: about the dropped commuting but :biggrin: about the longer days as it is work i prefer (dairy farm compared to school)
although i do plan to ride more leisure rides next year, although i will be knackered when i start in september i will still try to squeeze in a short pootle on my days off.
and to make it worse i am pretty busy with work of various sorts(different farm work such as lambing and hay/straw) form about easter through till the end of summer :sad:
Cheers Ed

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I'm trying to work in a couple of short tours, and get my mileage over 1500. I am also planning on building a 26" tourer, and finishing all the upgrades to the Fuji Tourer. I am giving up on step and a half plus granny gears in front, and going to a more straightforward arrangement with a higher end mountain bike crank and a sealed BB for the Fuji.

Jumped on the scales this morning... :blink: gulp. Gained 6 pounds. I'd like to say it's all lean muscle, but probably not.

No wonder those hills were feeling steeper! Sunday 60+ mile clubs runs will be the theme of my January.

My only resolution is to stop buying so much cycling equipment and save more buy a full suspension mountain bike! :whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can see why some of you don't like targets and prefer to just enjoy riding as the spirit takes you.

I used to be like that, but as the years passed I found myself making up more and more excuses not to ride.

Setting targets pushed me into trying harder and getting out more regularly. I am therefore going to continue setting them.

Snake Pass in 20 minutes. This will require me to get 10% lighter, 10% fitter or wait for a westerly hurricane
Very similar to my long-held ambition of doing a 20 minute Cragg Vale climb. I think if I am ever going to do that, then 2015 may be the best year to really go for it. I am getting close to an optimum climbing weight, and my breathing has improved a lot after 2 years of problems. I am 59 in January so age is going to be an increasing hurdle from now on.

So ... I resolve to get serious about doing that CV climb in 20 minutes. If I succeed and don't feel shattered at the summit, then immediately continue in an attempt to complete the full 20 mile loop back to the start of the climb in less than one hour. To achieve that would require a very good level of fitness. I think my best time in the past was 1 hour 9 minutes. I was a lot younger then, and had not suffered the clotting problems which now limit my efforts.

I probably will not succeed in doing that 20 minute climb, but I will give it my best shot!

Last edited:
Top Bottom