235 miles a day for a year (Amanda Coker Challenge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I republished the donations page recently, but haven't publicised it yet. Steve won't have enough funds to last through the entire year, though he's amazingly frugal.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Steve's stats as at 02 Apr 17
Days: 30
Dist: 10,858 km / 6,747 mi
Avg daily dist: 361.9 km / 224.9 mi
Avg daily elevation (Strava): 1,588 m / 5,208 ft
Moving speed (Strava): 25.6 km/h / 15.9 mi/h
Hours per day riding: 15.1
Projected total at current daily rate: 132,106 km / 82,087 mi
upload_2017-4-3_13-2-1.png

Notes. This is based on simple analysis of Strava data. Miles are allocated to the day in which the ride starts. Where a ride crosses midnight, the starting day is credited with the mileage. This is not really relevant for average totals, but for daily mileage distributions may skew things a bit. The "moving average" speed is based on what Strava considers to be moving time. The hours per day riding is based on the duration of the Strava rides - if Steve splits a day into two parts either side of a break then the break will not be included. If he submits one ride for the whole day, it will. Elevation gain is as reported by Strava. The schedule is as published on Steve's website. The "Coker?" target is a guess.
I am fallible. This may be all totally wrong.

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
For me, the most striking number is the projected total - over 82,000 miles. It's all too easy to see Steve slowing falling behind Amanda's pace, for the moment anyway, and forget just how far ahead he is of everyone else who's ever got involved with this challenge.

All ifs buts and maybes but I do wonder what Steve would've managed with this level of preparation and no crash first time around. He appears a lot stronger now and I feel the shorter days are part of a natural ebb and flow rather than anything worse.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I see Steve had a big day yesterday.. 261 miles. Today so far just under 182.
Amazing stuff.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Steve's stats as at 11 Apr 17
Days: 39
Dist: 14,064 km / 8,739 mi
Avg daily dist: 360.6 km / 224.1 mi
Avg daily elevation (Strava): 1,577 m / 5,175 ft
Moving speed (Strava): 25.7 km/h / 15.9 mi/h
Hours per day riding: 15.1
Projected total at current daily rate: 131,622 km / 81,786 mi
upload_2017-4-12_9-22-4.png