52 cafes in 52 weeks - challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Café 52, week 39: Eller Coffee, Ossett

Not the "no. 52" I had planned, but my motivation for work today has gone so I'm out on a ride for lunch and will do my work this evening.

Large coffee and a tuna melt panini for £5.75

PXL_20220912_122038923.jpg

Honey, Coffee, Bike in Leeds was supposed to be "No. 52", but that'll be visited later.

This thread's been helpful to get me visiting places I wouldn't normally. Some haven't been great, others really good.

Now the conundrum .... should I keep going? My schedule gets busy from next week until Christmas, leaving little time to visit places but there's quite a few on the list which I haven't got to yet.

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......

Not the "no. 52" I had planned, but my motivation for work today has gone so I'm out on a ride for lunch and will do my work this evening.

View attachment 660831

Honey, Coffee, Bike in Leeds was supposed to be "No. 52", but that'll be visited later.

This thread's been helpful to get me visiting places I wouldn't normally. Some haven't been great, others really good.

Now the conundrum .... should I keep going? My schedule gets busy from next week until Christmas, leaving little time to visit places but there's quite a few on the list which I haven't got to yet.

Yes, I've enjoyed looking back through the thread and recalling several of the cafes visited this year. I have a few others yet to visit further afield, in fact I set off for one last week, but someone had stolen my legs and I couldn't get there!

As to your conundrum, keep going, you know you want to!

Cathryn

Legendary Member

Congratulations on hitting the 52!

HelenD123

Guru
More catching up after our holiday in the Howgills, in random order.

Cafe 32 The Velveteen Rabbit Secret Garden in Northallerton. I've cycled past the original one in Great Ayton and really liked the look of it but the couple of outside tables were taken. I was intrigued to see this new branch on my regular physio trips but had never been past the yellow door until we interrupted our holiday for yet another hospital visit. It didn't disappoint. I had a yummy veggie brunch (served until 3pm). MrH had a delicious spiced chicken flatbread. It's in a yard behind a hairdressers with more seating outside than in and space for bikes. In the week it had a working lunch vibe rather than cafe for cyclists but the staff were very friendly so may be accommodating.

IMG_20220831_130925.jpg

IMG_20220831_132821.jpg

Tail End Charlie

Cafe 43, 13.9.22 Flash Bar stores, just outside Flash (the highest village in Britain), above Buxton. This is the place I was aiming for last week, when my legs packed up, but today I was wearing King of the Mountain socks, so had to make it! Popular with bikers (chatted to a group from Exeter). Good selection of hot and cold food and cakes. Seating inside and outside, great views. Beware though, the toilet is the smallest one I have ever used, you've got to be a contortionist if in bib shorts.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Cafe 50. Caff, Sandbanks

Fab little ride today from my son’s football match in Wimborne to my parents’ rented beach hut in Swanage. Stopped at Caff in Sanebanks for brunch. It’s super fancy in Sandbanks but the cafe was reasonably priced and the staff were down to earth and friendly. Food was excellent and the people-watching superb! Headed off onto the Sandbanks chain ferry to Studland, which felt like a proper adventure, and then on to Swanage!

32713EDC-3DFF-4328-B858-7B471FF0E823.jpeg

Tail End Charlie

Cafe 44, 16.9.22 The Clover Cafe in the centre of Stone. Very tasty (and filling) chickpea wrap. Outdoor seating beside a pedestrianised area and indoors aswell.

Cafe 45, 16.9.22 The B'Oatcake on the canal in the middle of Stone. Great selection of oatcakes and super prices, but I was still stuffed after the wrap earlier (sorry @harlechjoe ). He needs to improve the cake selection though, only prepacked flapjacks on offer. Tricky one this as the owner moves up and down the canal so you can't be sure where he is at any given time. Home matches for Stoke City he goes near the stadium, but often he's at the other end near Stafford.

20220916_151825.jpg

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Cafe 46, 21.9.22 Tegg's Nose, in the visitor centre at Tegg's Nose Country Park just above Macclesfield. Lots of interesting photos and info on the walls about the local area (it used to be a quarry and there are still some bits of machinery around, I love industrial heritage like that). Great views, food fine, hot chocolate hit the spot for me. It's one of the highest ones I visit and wouldn't go to it if there was any chance of frost.

DCLane

Café 53, week 41: The Green House, Methley

I was intending to head to Birkin Fisheries again but got soaked as an un-forecast rainstorm came over. Having seen this one previously I cut short the ride and headed towards Methley rather than through Castleford to Birkin.

Only outdoor seating, although some under cover, lovely service and a coffee with toasted fruit teacake and jam was £4.25. The photo's from the 'under cover' garden bit, not the café itself.

PXL_20220924_094307261.jpg

Café 53, week 41: The Green House, Methley

I was intending to head to Birkin Fisheries again but got soaked as an un-forecast rainstorm came over. Having seen this one previously I cut short the ride and headed towards Methley rather than through Castleford to Birkin.

Only outdoor seating, although some under cover, lovely service and a coffee with toasted fruit teacake and jam was £4.25. The photo's from the 'under cover' garden bit, not the café itself.

View attachment 662158

Which is the best cafe you've come across on this challenge?

DCLane

Which is the best cafe you've come across on this challenge?

Good question. For me it'd be a combination of excellent café, service and location. Given I've tried all the café's in Holmfirth plus a range elsewhere my thoughts are:

Town-based - Ribbles of Holmfirth. Quirky, excellent service and lovely cake.
Countryside - The Potting Shed, Hillam. A nice location and really friendly service.

Neither were places I'd visited before. Ribbles is a regular stop for my club's ladies section, who are good café sleuths and they visited The Potting Shed a week after I'd suggested it to my club, giving it the thumbs up as well.

Tail End Charlie

Cafe 47, 25.9.22 Snowdrop cafe attached to Grasslands Nursery, Lower Peover, Knutsford. The menu has expanded since I was last here, with a wide selection of hot food now. Cyclists' tastes catered for (e.g. cheese and beans on toast) and as a result there are usually many bikes here. Cakes have always been good here. Very friendly service.

Top Bottom