6 Nations 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Poor between Wales and England today although I did find it weirdly entertaining.

Don't understand how Itoje wasn't binned, and England's discipline was horrific, especially in the last quarter.

I loved it! ^_^

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Quite a turn around in three months.
Even the most passionate supporter would have to agree that Wales have ridden their luck to win all three games against England, Ireland and Scotland. They were all 50/50 games which could have gone either way.
England looked the better team today, but for the usual appalling penalty count.
I think it’s time to wave bye bye to uncle Eddie.

Even the most passionate supporter would have to agree that Wales have ridden their luck to win all three games against England, Ireland and Scotland. They were all 50/50 games which could have gone either way.
England looked the better team today, but for the usual appalling penalty count.
I think it’s time to wave bye bye to uncle Eddie.

I'll be very happy if we continue to ride our luck, and racking up the Six Nations points. France will be the big test.

I thought that England looked good in patches, as usual, but not consistently through the match, especially in the last 20 minutes. Without their pack dominating they struggle. The penalty count is the result of not dealing with pressure well, particularly when they had pulled back to 24/24.

On a slight sidetrack I see that the BBC pitchside reporter Sonja McLaughlan has come in for a lot of online abuse for her post-match interviews. I saw them all and thought she was clearly angling to get someone to say something controversial for the headlines about the ref, but luckily all those interviewed were too smart to bite. I thought Farrell and Jones handled her questions quite well, even though they were probably still fuming. Jones also refused to get drawn on Itoje's lack of control. Similarly handled well by Pivac and A W Jones, although they would not have been fuming.

It wasn't a good game by the ref and there will be a lot of discussion behind the scenes.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Wales have to go down as the spawniest rugby side ever. Extremely lucky against Ireland and Scotland who both played with 14 men and two hugely debateable tries yesterday.

All that stands between them and a Grand Slam are Italy and France. Italy are poor even by their standards so shouldn't be a problem and France may be about to pull out altogether meaning a walkover would be awarded.

All of which means Warren Gatland won't even blush when he stuffs the Lions team with Welsh has-beens.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
What's absolutely clear is the huge influence referees have on the game, far more than with football and the standard is erratic.

Chislenko

Veteran
Wales have to go down as the spawniest rugby side ever. Extremely lucky against Ireland and Scotland who both played with 14 men and two hugely debateable tries yesterday.

All that stands between them and a Grand Slam are Italy and France. Italy are poor even by their standards so shouldn't be a problem and France may be about to pull out altogether meaning a walkover would be awarded.

All of which means Warren Gatland won't even blush when he stuffs the Lions team with Welsh has-beens.

1614539914482.png

My old man always told me I was better off being lucky than being clever and I proved him right.
Scotland must wish they had had a bit of luck just once in the 20 years of the Six Nations. :whistle:

What's absolutely clear is the huge influence referees have on the game, far more than with football and the standard is erratic.

You just have to watch Match of the Day or read the sports pages and the never-ending rants of managers and fans in the Premiership about the way the refs and VAR robbed them to see that is not true. Many football games are decided by one debatable refereeing decision.

Chislenko

Veteran
[QUOTE="Rusty Nails, post: 6330304, member:

Many football games are decided by one debatable refereeing decision.
[/QUOTE]

Particularly that one from 1966 we keep getting rammed down our throats, notice you never see anybody east of the border question if the ball crossed the line or why the ref didn't stop the game because "some people are on the pitch"

Last edited:

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Whilst the first try was definitely poor refereeing, the second was was a proper try. Moore quoted the Rule as the ball is forward if there's loss of control but Guscott set everyone straight as to what the rule actually is, and ref's decision is final. So what? S+++ happens!

England got back to level and then they threw the match away just as much as the opposition took control. Wales were lucky in the first two games but worthy winners yesterday. They played a very canny game and took their chances. Best game of the Championship so far...

O'Reilly got it right in Sunday Times. Highlights would show Irelands 6 trys, plus one disallowed (now that was a refereeing howler - but s+++ happens - see above) plus two more correctly disallowed BUT there were times (mostly in second half) when Ireland were as predictable and toothless as the rest of the season.

Italy start each season with a plan and get beaten into submission and at times stupor. They are massively underachieving but they are a very young team. Calls to relegate them are premature. Still believe they have a shock for someone in store...soon.

Top Bottom