85% home distilled Polish Spirit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...sort of related, as wine's been mentioned. I store wine in the spare bedroom, sometimes a few dozen bottles, and these might take a year or so to get through. The word on the street is that wine should be stored in a cool place, hence wine cellars. To date, I've not had a bad bottle from my stock, all stored at room temperature, which is way above say north European temperatures. Given this, I'm more inclined to think that a constant temperature, ie one that doesn't fluctuate a whole lot, is of more importance for keeping wine, but would like to know what others think........

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The general advice is that storing on the side in constant temperatures are recommended, and cellar temperatures for preference. But these days most of us don't have cellars. I don't know how much of the advice is to do with not buggering the cork and how much the wine - but with plastic corks or screwcap wines the potential cork damage is less of an issues.

If you're only storing relatively ordinary wine for a year or so, you're unlikely to do much damage - but if I was drinking something very expensive or with some age in it I'd want to be sure that it had been stored well.

Top Bottom