A cycling Parody - Why Isn't Cycling Normal in London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seevio

Guru
I came across this earlier. It was certainly entertaining although I have no idea how accurate it is.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I came across this earlier. It was certainly entertaining although I have no idea how accurate it is.
I commute in London infrequently and I didn't notice anything glaringly wrong, but of course some of the interpretation is debatable. You'll find some quite heated debates of it on these forums.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'd say it's pretty accurate, though as @mjr points out it's, for example, rather pro-segregation. (A position I've accepted because it gets more people on bikes. But that's my personal opinion....)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd say it's pretty accurate, though as @mjr points out it's, for example, rather pro-segregation. (A position I've accepted because it gets more people on bikes. But that's my personal opinion....)
Well, I was meaning more that it's debatable why which things happened when. It's probably debatable partly because Boris contradicted himself so often and because TfL have been basically silent on certain points: like have they ever admitted that some of the junction designs on CS2 arising from some pretty dodgy paid-for evidence from TRL were basically clusterfark cyclist-mashers, for example? I know they don't build many like them now but the awful dump-cyclists-into-the-gutter-across-side-road-junctions layout (officially called "Reintegration ahead of junction" maybe because it can integrate cyclists into cars as bonnet ornaments) remains an option in the London Cycling Design Standards (section 5.3.4 if you want to look it up), although it now says the TRL report has "not been corroborated in on-street trialling, and so caution is recommended in applying these recommendations." :rolleyes:

But hey, it's a short documentary on youtube - it doesn't have to justify its claims fully and because it's so debatable, I'd be surprised if anyone can conclusively disprove any of them.

Lonestar

Veteran
I found it interesting and very true.Shame about the 2 minute advert at the end.So different in the 80's as to what it is now.

Like the Cycle superhighways even less than ever and avoid them when I can.Some bits are ok.

Good video and the history is interesting but the trouble today as ever is there is too much of a car culture and even now I still get anti cycling bull5h1t at work.

Why I have to answer for cyclists not paying tax for cycling I will never know and why I MUST use cycle lanes and get out of the motorists way at all times.

Last edited:
Top Bottom