A cycling Parody - Why Isn't Cycling Normal in London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
So you'd rather it was like the 80s scene shown? :eek:

Ok I will bite.Yes so much different then.Probably the main problem I had was my lack of experience.I could handle the roads like that at the time but now there is too much anti cycling bias fueled by the internet and the press.In my humble opinion this just causes problems like lack of consideration...I'm sure I didn't suffer 1% of the abuse for being a cyclist then as what I do now.Mainly from ignorant selfish people.

jarlrmai

Veteran
You were 20+ years younger do you not think this impacts your view? I thought I was immortal in my late teens early twenties.

I honestly think we are having a debate now because cameras + internet forces the debate. Before cameras people just either put up with it or stopped riding and only the hardcore kept going (mainly young - middle aged men) no-one probably bothered going to the police because what are you going to say?

I imagine some people honestly thought that when action cameras became available that they would put one on, record a punishment pass take it to the cops and it would be problem solved. I'm sure that they tried this but it did nothing so youtube + registration plate was tried as an attempt to shame people, but guess what the public really hate cyclists and are completely ignorant of the road laws and the police can come up with as many excuses as they need to not do anything.

If the last 5-10 years has shown anything it's that people in an entrenched self protecting world view will buckle down and become more extreme in the face of evidence that their view is wrong or causing harm to others.

Lonestar

Veteran
Oh definitely I agree and I've stopped using cameras myself for over five years now and my behaviour on the road has changed also to being more friendly and tolerant.

Top Bottom