A design positive....or negative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I would remove it straight away because the stuff inside it would rattle or get damp and rusty if I wrapped it in a cloth to prevent rattling. Everything goes in my jersey pockets.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Why not go the whole hog and get one of these. Plenty of room for tools, tubes, spare tyre, sandwiches - everything, really.

View attachment 451871

Seriously - what's the difference between the S Works box/bag and the really uncool triangular bag that fits in the corner of the seat and top tube?

That looks like it would be fun in a crosswind...

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think a lot of us on here would be in the middle ground bikewise, with a few outliers at both ends. Skipdiver John helps us keep a sense of perspective that not everyone values a bike in the same way.

The value I place on my machines depends on factors like the build & ride quality and usefulness of them. I do differentiate between "good" bikes and hacks; and although I would not lose much sleep over the loss of a hack bike, I would be mighty vexed if anything happened to a "good" one. Some might get the impression that I don't value my bikes because I only ever pay peanuts for them secondhand, and refuse to get drawn in by marketing BS for new ones. Nothing could be further from the truth; however I do not approach bike purchase like a kid let loose in a sweet shop, unlike all those grown men who really ought to know better.

screenman

Legendary Member
The value I place on my machines depends on factors like the build & ride quality and usefulness of them. I do differentiate between "good" bikes and hacks; and although I would not lose much sleep over the loss of a hack bike, I would be mighty vexed if anything happened to a "good" one. Some might get the impression that I don't value my bikes because I only ever pay peanuts for them secondhand, and refuse to get drawn in by marketing BS for new ones. Nothing could be further from the truth; however I do not approach bike purchase like a kid let loose in a sweet shop, unlike all those grown men who really ought to know better.

Or like those grown men with plenty of disposable income.

it really is time skipdiver john removed the blinkers, not everyone that buys something new has "been drawn in by marketing bullsh!t" maybe , just maybe, now I know this may sound unreasonable but maybe someone buys something new because its what they want, and can afford it.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
it really is time skipdiver john removed the blinkers, not everyone that buys something new has "been drawn in by marketing bullsh!t" maybe , just maybe, now I know this may sound unreasonable but maybe someone buys something new because its what they want, and can afford it.

And it’s quite possible that new, modern bikes maybe, and I know this can be controversial, in fact often are, much better than old bikes. I know, it’s ‘out there’ opinions wise.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I haven't read the whole thread but AFAIK nobody has mentioned the word "fun". Modern bikes are built to be light, smooth-riding, comfortable and fun to ride, which is why so many people who cycled as children have come back as born-again cyclists. I enjoy riding my endurance bike all the year round but when summer comes there's no better sensation than cruising easily along in the sun on my fast, light racer. It makes me feel happy, young, fulfilled and energised and keeps me extremely fit. I've no time for inverted snobs who claim that any old piece of iron will do because they've never actually ridden a pedigree bike.

I'm not into fast cars but I bet enthusiasts would say the same about Morris Minor drivers.

Top Bottom