A design positive....or negative?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Dave 123, 9 Feb 2019.

1. About 50 quid.

2. Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Kilometre nibbler

Keep your tools inside the frame tubes? There's an idea
    brompton-tool-kit-black-EV190001-9999-6.jpg

Banjo, Illaveago and SpokeyDokey like this.
  3. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

I would remove it straight away because the stuff inside it would rattle or get damp and rusty if I wrapped it in a cloth to prevent rattling. Everything goes in my jersey pockets.

Illaveago likes this.
  4. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

That looks like it would be fun in a crosswind...

Banjo, Illaveago and SpokeyDokey like this.
  5. Threevok

Threevok Junior Member (Trainee)

I've tried one - they aren't :laugh:

6. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Just like those tool holders that fit in a bottle cage.

7. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

I find the tools make the water taste funny :blink:

8. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Über Member

The value I place on my machines depends on factors like the build & ride quality and usefulness of them. I do differentiate between "good" bikes and hacks; and although I would not lose much sleep over the loss of a hack bike, I would be mighty vexed if anything happened to a "good" one. Some might get the impression that I don't value my bikes because I only ever pay peanuts for them secondhand, and refuse to get drawn in by marketing BS for new ones. Nothing could be further from the truth; however I do not approach bike purchase like a kid let loose in a sweet shop, unlike all those grown men who really ought to know better.

Blue Hills likes this.
  9. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Or like those grown men with plenty of disposable income.

10. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

it really is time skipdiver john removed the blinkers, not everyone that buys something new has "been drawn in by marketing bullsh!t" maybe , just maybe, now I know this may sound unreasonable but maybe someone buys something new because its what they want, and can afford it.

11. CarlP

CarlP Boing!

And it’s quite possible that new, modern bikes maybe, and I know this can be controversial, in fact often are, much better than old bikes. I know, it’s ‘out there’ opinions wise.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2019 at 14:36
  12. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

I haven't read the whole thread but AFAIK nobody has mentioned the word "fun". Modern bikes are built to be light, smooth-riding, comfortable and fun to ride, which is why so many people who cycled as children have come back as born-again cyclists. I enjoy riding my endurance bike all the year round but when summer comes there's no better sensation than cruising easily along in the sun on my fast, light racer. It makes me feel happy, young, fulfilled and energised and keeps me extremely fit. I've no time for inverted snobs who claim that any old piece of iron will do because they've never actually ridden a pedigree bike.

I'm not into fast cars but I bet enthusiasts would say the same about Morris Minor drivers.

13. Dogtrousers

New things better than old things? Wash your mouth out with soap*

* Wrights coal tar soap, naturally - none of this modern liquid rubbish.

14. CarlP

CarlP Boing!

How about Pears soap, I like the smell.

15. Dogtrousers

Pears? ... well it is old fashioned, but it doesn't have the hair-shirt connotations of Wrights coal tar.

So no.

NorthernDave and CarlP like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice