A design positive....or negative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Going back to the original picture wouldn't it foul the bottom of your bottle cages or have they cleverly made cages that work in tandem with the tool box, presumably at a "nice price"

The down tube has three holes for the bottle cage so if you have the tool kit you can sit the bottle higher up the frame, if not you can have it in the traditional position

Drago

Legendary Member
It looks like the bike has a colostomy bag.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Given that most of us carry some bits and pieces, bikes could be better designed to meet that need.

Putting stuff in a bag to hang off the back of the saddle or the handlebars is hardly an elegant solution.

It's the triumph of form over function.

Very hard to make a luggage compartment look sexy - as this bike shows - so most bikes don't have one.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
What I would like in a bike tool bag is a separate compartment for putting your dirty inner, plus your oily gloves after a repair.

They go in the hedge don't they..?* :laugh:

* - I'd like to point out that the above is a joke in case anyone doesn't have a sense of humour. I always put my rubbish in a bin, or take it home with me and recycle where possible

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's a rubbish place for a bag. It gets covered in mud and a low C of G is not what you want on a bike.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
No, a bike is more like an inverted pendulum in the way it balances (so more weight up top actually reduces the frequency of oscillation, making it easier to balance), and it leans in corners. I'd agree with you for a trike.

No, a bike is more like an inverted pendulum in the way it balances (so more weight up top actually reduces the frequency of oscillation, making it easier to balance), and it leans in corners. I'd agree with you for a trike.
Quite. After coming back from a month of fully loaded touring, taking to my road bike with a big backpack felt like I was going to flip any time I turned the handlebars. Took me a good while to relearn how to ride with a high centre of mass and without weight held low on the forks..

Edit: reading comprehension fail on my part
I think my point is that you can get accustomed to most weight distributions.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
Im thinking it's a useless discussion though unless you own a Specialized bike Roubaix ? As the bag is specific to the bike.
I'm still not convinced it looks any better than the million different saddle bags or even a bottle cage tool holder ?

Nebulous

Guru
What troubles me these days is the phone phenomenon... Off topic but as were talking expenditure ..
Young people have a fancy phone and pay £30-£50 a month for them.
I see it often in my work place.. They are usually the one's on £8.75 an hr ! They often complain about being skint 2 weeks before pay day..
Being financially sick is not a nice place to be but so much is self inflicted.

In my old self employed job i usually earned £30- £50 an hour when working, now its £10 an hr 37.5 hrs working in care.
I still have a almost debt free lifestyle due to my unwillingness to get into debt, and i try and live below my means..
It's a struggle but i think im happier at work than I've been for years. Stress free Almost, I'm lucky in that i almost own my house and can live cheaply.. We seem to be a live for today society, renting is the norm grab what you can..

Lifestyle choices are where an awful lot of money goes, but people dress it up as 'essentials.' I agree with you on the phones. I was looking at leased cars at one point - trying to find the cheapest one I could. I found a seat mii on a two year deal for £67 a month. I realised that some of my colleagues were paying more than that for their phone.

There is a middle ground - though that is getting hollowed out as we are all going to extremes. You get cheap gyms and expensive gyms for instance, with the middle being squeezed. Some people run bangers for a few hundred pounds cash and others run £50k cars.

I think a lot of us on here would be in the middle ground bikewise, with a few outliers at both ends. Skipdiver John helps us keep a sense of perspective that not everyone values a bike in the same way.

screenman

Legendary Member
I jntend to retire early on it, don't fancy being forced to work until 67 if I don't want to. Having money and no debt gives options not open to those frantically running on the hamster wheel just to get to the end of every month. I know a lot of people who hate their jobs, or just hate the idea of having to work full stop, but due to their dysfunctional financial habits, they may even have to keep going after the state pension age, because they've got no assets to speak of and no private pension/investments. Working on is fine if you enjoy it and are still fit, but it's drudgery if not done by choice.

What happens if you depart before retiring, let us not forget the lovely Vernon.

Nebulous

Guru
I agree. Around these parts it is quite common to live like a pauper whilst having hundreds of thousands in the bank, but because they have spent their lives being frugal they cannot change.

We've just had a murder trial - where the victim, who did 'cash-in-hand' car repairs, had over £200k in cash in his cottage. We were wondering idly whether he had any plans to do anything with it, other than just keep accumulating more.

Top Bottom