A kickstand has killed my touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
The manufacturer has stamped onto their product. It says, “Relax.”

The manufactuers of that bike is Surly themselves?! The plot thickens!! Big Dummy? That comes specced with a kickstand.

As an aside...very wild guess....that's a corner of the Postern Hill campsite at Marlborough?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The manufactuers of that bike is Surly themselves?! The plot thickens!! Big Dummy? That comes specced with a kickstand.

As an aside...very wild guess....that's a corner of the Postern Hill campsite at Marlborough?

The anti-kickstand spew from Surly pertains to the DT and LHT.

The Big Dummy comes with a single stand as standard fitted to a stand specific section of the frame behind the B.B. The double stand in the photo is a compatible one made by XtraCycle. Wide Loaders fit in conjunction with this stand to increase the bike’s carrying capacity. Both of these slot into yet another frame section behind the B.B.

It really is a well thought out set up because once upon a time Surly and XtraCycle were in bed together. No longer an amicable relationship I believe.

The campsite in the photo is one in the Netherlands (Wassenar)

OP
OP
dani petrescue
Yes, thanks for that, Elybazza61. I am aware of Surly making this kickstand plate.

Even so, not too sure I will be using a kickstand at all on the Surly LHT I am building...

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
[QUOTE 5142528, member: 43827"]If the damage has not led to corrosion could the frame be saved by getting a competent engineer to weld a couple of steel "splints" around the stays? Cheaper than new stays and a respray..[/QUOTE]

I'd repair it with a couple of steel sleeves fashioned from an offcut of mild steel sheet. However, I'd be more inclined to braze it, if the frame is Reynolds. If it's gas pipe tube then it's not going to matter. An old-school motor garage or agricultural engineer with a set of gas bottles could do a job like that with their eyes shut. It's a bread & butter maintenance repair.
For a DIY repair at home you could even do it using plumbers solder and a blowtorch, so long as the surfaces were well prepared and clean. The BB would need stripping out beforehand because of the heat then reassembling after with new grease.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A bit of filler, spray it up, slap it on ebay.

Don't buy a secondhand bike or car from Drago.....:laugh:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

Attachments

• 20180125_152230.jpg
    20180125_152230.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 87

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Steveindenmark, do you use that kickstand with front and rear panniers?

I have seen a smaller stand for the front to stop the front swivelling around when using my front panniers. Or there is a spring and yolk which attaches to the fork crown and down tube. Seen it on cargo bikes too. Another good tip is to lock one or both brakes when parked up, stand or not. A laden bike falling over can twist a frame to buggery.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why would someone would want a kickstand anyway? Theres always somewhere to lean the bike against unless you are cycling through the desert?
So now you're calling Norfolk a desert? :tongue: It's not that unusual to have no roadside trees, signposts or telegraph poles for miles and I'm not wading across a river to get to them... I sometimes want to change my clothing or fix something on the bike and lying the bike down is just wrong.
e=640x640&pano=tPy8Czr7ifXA-VbaIjToDw&heading=203.5515473002189&fov=110.27027027027026&pitch=-21.jpg

Even in towns, leaning the bike against stuff (especially cycle parking stands) scratches it up, plus it's a lot more difficult (but not impossible) for a bike to fall off a good stand than to fall over while leant against something - especially in crowded cycle parks, your bike is a lot more likely to be knocked over by people moving other bikes near it if it's leaning rather than stood.

That said, I am fairly careful to make sure the length is set correctly to reduce the load on the stand and to take the bike off the stand during loading/unloading of heavy bags (to avoid a lopsided load tipping the bike) and I wouldn't fit one of those chainstay-crusher ones again. If a bike doesn't have a plate for a centre stand or some other fixing, I'd probably fit an axle-mounted one or at least a near-axle one.

Top Bottom