A kickstand has killed my touring bike

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by dani petrescue, 6 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. Liz Su

Liz Su Über Member

Very nice, its even got its own string of Tibetan Flags.

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  2. Rooster1

Rooster1 Hornblower

Wow, love that bike

3. OP
    OP
    dani petrescue

dani petrescue Member

Thanks for all the comments!

I knew this would turn into a ´kickstand why type´ of discussion... :laugh: And no, I don´t tour much on deserts but as some people have said, kickstands make life easy (or I used to think that before one ruined my frame) :sad:

Heltor, I love your bike! And which double kickstand is that one on the picture, please? Although the new LHT 26" I am building is not going to have a kickstand, you will not be surprised to read.

My main question is what to do with my sad looking old bike... Thanks, si_c, I think I am going to find out about replacing chainstays. I do love my bike and she really is worth saving for that kind of money! ^_^

4. Bodhbh

Bodhbh Veteran

The manufactuers of that bike is Surly themselves?! The plot thickens!! Big Dummy? That comes specced with a kickstand.

As an aside...very wild guess....that's a corner of the Postern Hill campsite at Marlborough?

5. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

The anti-kickstand spew from Surly pertains to the DT and LHT.

The Big Dummy comes with a single stand as standard fitted to a stand specific section of the frame behind the B.B. The double stand in the photo is a compatible one made by XtraCycle. Wide Loaders fit in conjunction with this stand to increase the bike’s carrying capacity. Both of these slot into yet another frame section behind the B.B.

It really is a well thought out set up because once upon a time Surly and XtraCycle were in bed together. No longer an amicable relationship I believe.

The campsite in the photo is one in the Netherlands (Wassenar)

Bodhbh and dani petrescue like this.
  6. Elybazza61

Elybazza61 Veteran

Heltor Chasca and dani petrescue like this.
  7. queasyrider

queasyrider Still perplexed

If the damage has not led to corrosion could the frame be saved by getting a competent engineer to weld a couple of steel "splints" around the stays? Cheaper than new stays and a respray.

I had the same thing done to an old steel Marin mtb seat tube a few years back. Didn't look wonderful but worked, and the chainstays are in a less visible place.

ADarkDraconis and Banjo like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    dani petrescue

dani petrescue Member

Yes, thanks for that, Elybazza61. I am aware of Surly making this kickstand plate.

Even so, not too sure I will be using a kickstand at all on the Surly LHT I am building...

9. OP
    OP
    dani petrescue

dani petrescue Member

I will look into this, queasyrider, many thanks. If it works, I am not too fussy how it looks!

10. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Senior Member

I'd repair it with a couple of steel sleeves fashioned from an offcut of mild steel sheet. However, I'd be more inclined to braze it, if the frame is Reynolds. If it's gas pipe tube then it's not going to matter. An old-school motor garage or agricultural engineer with a set of gas bottles could do a job like that with their eyes shut. It's a bread & butter maintenance repair.
    For a DIY repair at home you could even do it using plumbers solder and a blowtorch, so long as the surfaces were well prepared and clean. The BB would need stripping out beforehand because of the heat then reassembling after with new grease.

Banjo and queasyrider like this.
  11. Have a frame builder chuck a couple of new tubes in it. Innit.

Arjimlad, raleighnut and Drago like this.
  12. A bit of filler, spray it up, slap it on ebay.

mickle, confusedcyclist and Reiver like this.
  13. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Senior Member

Don't buy a secondhand bike or car from Drago.....:laugh:

ADarkDraconis, mickle, snorri and 4 others like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    dani petrescue

dani petrescue Member

Steveindenmark, do you use that kickstand with front and rear panniers?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice