A kickstand has killed my touring bike

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by dani petrescue, 6 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

2. Thats one what?

Attached Files:

Arjimlad likes this.
  3. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

I have seen a smaller stand for the front to stop the front swivelling around when using my front panniers. Or there is a spring and yolk which attaches to the fork crown and down tube. Seen it on cargo bikes too. Another good tip is to lock one or both brakes when parked up, stand or not. A laden bike falling over can twist a frame to buggery.

Gravity Aided likes this.
  4. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

So now you're calling Norfolk a desert? :tongue: It's not that unusual to have no roadside trees, signposts or telegraph poles for miles and I'm not wading across a river to get to them... I sometimes want to change my clothing or fix something on the bike and lying the bike down is just wrong.
    e=640x640&pano=tPy8Czr7ifXA-VbaIjToDw&heading=203.5515473002189&fov=110.27027027027026&pitch=-21.jpg

Even in towns, leaning the bike against stuff (especially cycle parking stands) scratches it up, plus it's a lot more difficult (but not impossible) for a bike to fall off a good stand than to fall over while leant against something - especially in crowded cycle parks, your bike is a lot more likely to be knocked over by people moving other bikes near it if it's leaning rather than stood.

That said, I am fairly careful to make sure the length is set correctly to reduce the load on the stand and to take the bike off the stand during loading/unloading of heavy bags (to avoid a lopsided load tipping the bike) and I wouldn't fit one of those chainstay-crusher ones again. If a bike doesn't have a plate for a centre stand or some other fixing, I'd probably fit an axle-mounted one or at least a near-axle one.

5. Heltor Chasca

6. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Nice but expensive and not great for urban use where someone may bump into it.

A good centre stand on a plated bike will hold the bike up even with a wheel out :smile:

7. Heltor Chasca

Here’s a cheaper ‘wild’ kickstand I made. You may need to zoom in on the nearest bike. The one furthest away has a ClickStand.

69440ED7-7F14-483C-B156-CBCB8A980F88.jpeg

Alan O, Banjo, Grolsche11976 and 6 others like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    dani petrescue

dani petrescue Member

Heltor, I might order one of these for my LHT... It would be rather stupid to crush the chainstay again! Not sure about getting the Surly kickstand plate and central double legged stand. A bit nervous about kickstands now.

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    dani petrescue

dani petrescue Member

I meant the click-stand.

The big stick for emergencies

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  10. Arjimlad

Arjimlad Tights of Cydonia

You could make a killing selling those free-range enviro carbon-neutral kickstands. "Cycle softly & carry a big stick" could be the motto..

11. Goggs

Goggs Veteran

Probably not much use to the op in this instance but since it's turned into a kickstand debate I thought I'd mention Cube. Nobody implements a bicycle stand as well as Cube do on their frames. Totally integrated & completely secure. It's fantastic to know its there when I go in to the market in town. I can park absolutely anywhere.

12. Bicycle stand design reached its pinnacle with the Raleigh chopper.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  13. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

That frame was never designed to withstand the double insult of a big clamp bolted onto the chainstays and then the additional forces imposed in a very small area by the leverage of the long stand under the loaded bike. Give up the idea of a stand and adopt the suggestions above, even locking a brake with a bungee would be a good idea to stop the bike rolling away. Doesn't someone make a brake clamp? Couldn't you bodge a clamp from a strip of metal with a bend at each end?

I would certainly take the Galaxy to a framebuilder and get the chainstays replaced as I would not want to find myself marooned with a cracked chainstay and a heavily loaded bike.

dani petrescue likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    dani petrescue

dani petrescue Member

Yes, I will get the frame repaired at some point (need to find a good frame builder not too far from Peterborough). What is clear to me is that, before that is done, this bike will not do loaded touring.
    Thanks to everyone that has replied! I must say I feel much better, I first thought this was the end of my favourite bike...
    And maybe a click-stand for touring; round town I don't need a stand.
    Thanks again, guys! :biggrin:

Alan O, Banjo and Heltor Chasca like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice