A kickstand has killed my touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
C33F3224-79B5-43B6-9C46-AD65646C818B.jpeg

http://www.click-stand.com/

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nice but expensive and not great for urban use where someone may bump into it.

A good centre stand on a plated bike will hold the bike up even with a wheel out :smile:

OP
OP
dani petrescue
Heltor, I might order one of these for my LHT... It would be rather stupid to crush the chainstay again! Not sure about getting the Surly kickstand plate and central double legged stand. A bit nervous about kickstands now.

Goggs

Guru
Probably not much use to the op in this instance but since it's turned into a kickstand debate I thought I'd mention Cube. Nobody implements a bicycle stand as well as Cube do on their frames. Totally integrated & completely secure. It's fantastic to know its there when I go in to the market in town. I can park absolutely anywhere.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That frame was never designed to withstand the double insult of a big clamp bolted onto the chainstays and then the additional forces imposed in a very small area by the leverage of the long stand under the loaded bike. Give up the idea of a stand and adopt the suggestions above, even locking a brake with a bungee would be a good idea to stop the bike rolling away. Doesn't someone make a brake clamp? Couldn't you bodge a clamp from a strip of metal with a bend at each end?

I would certainly take the Galaxy to a framebuilder and get the chainstays replaced as I would not want to find myself marooned with a cracked chainstay and a heavily loaded bike.

OP
OP
dani petrescue
Yes, I will get the frame repaired at some point (need to find a good frame builder not too far from Peterborough). What is clear to me is that, before that is done, this bike will not do loaded touring.
Thanks to everyone that has replied! I must say I feel much better, I first thought this was the end of my favourite bike...
And maybe a click-stand for touring; round town I don't need a stand.
Thanks again, guys! :biggrin:

Top Bottom