A kickstand has killed my touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
While I was cycletouring in the Nederlands last year I had someone in a bike shop install a new kickstand, longer, stronger and more effective than the previous one. He didn't put anything at all between frame and kickstand and must have tightened it very hard! The previous kickstand, also one legged, had been installed by myself, with some rubber between chainstay and kickstand and - I am sure of this - no ill effects. The bike is a good (Dawes Supergalaxy, possibly Reynolds 631), but old (year 2000) touring machine with thousands of loaded miles.

I am now doing my winter maintenance and have removed the kickstand to find the chainstay crushed, see pictures. Underneath, the crush is obvious (looks worse in the picture) and there is even a tiny hole. The above section is literally paint damage.

Am I right to think this the end of this bike? I happen to be building another touring bike at the moment but I was still planning to use this old friend for local trips and commuting. I guess now even this is not a good idea?

Any advice welcome.

Attachments

• chainstay 1.jpg
    chainstay 1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 228
  • chainstay 2.jpg
    chainstay 2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 219

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Ouch! I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. Although stands are very useful, Surly make a huge deal about NOT fitting kickstands to their tourers. Not sure what Dawes say.

I use a ClickStand on my Surly Disc Trucker. One to think about on your next bike. Sadly I’ve heard it is a next bike scenario. Others may know differently.

I stand to be corrected.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If the wheel still sits straight then it's not dead. I'd paint the damage and use the bike. Bloody annoying though.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am no structural engineer, but would putting the kickstand back on not keep the stiffness up and maintain the integrity of the frame - after all you are effectively clamping the frame completely together?

si_c

Guru
I wouldn't feel comfortable riding with them, regardless of whether or not they are safe.

On the upside, it's most definitely not the end of the bike, replacing the chainstays is something that any competent framebuilder will be able to do. For example, I've just checked the Ellis Briggs website, looks like the cost is £125, plus you'll probably need a respray.

Worth looking around and checking. Here's the website link and the pricelist.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Looks like the damage is due to corrosion as much as the clamping forces.

Probably agree with the scrap it sentiment and also why fit a kickstand? As has already been said, why carry the weight of the stand when they are abundantly placed at every stop for free?

Bodhbh

Guru
Why would someone would want a kickstand anyway? Theres always somewhere to lean the bike against unless you are cycling through the desert?
Is that what you were doing OP?

If you're getting on and off your bike 5 or 10 times a day the ability to stand it up just with a swipe of the feet becomes quite nice. Particularly if it involves rummaging around in barbags and panniers. Then there's packing and unpacking every night at the campsite - standing it right next to your pitch makes things easier, than having leaning against a fence 4 yards away or laying down.

At a kilo or whatever their weight is, it's not a penalty everyone would want to pay for the convienence - and I yo-yo myself between having one and not - but they definately have their use.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Why would someone would want a kickstand anyway? Theres always somewhere to lean the bike against unless you are cycling through the desert?
Is that what you were doing OP?

What you can’t see from the photos, is a decal on the kickstand that the manufacturer has stamped onto their product. It says, “Relax.”

Which just about sums it up. Stands make life SO much easier (and safer if going 2 up) I even take my my ClickStand with me when I tour off road on my MTB.

D32ED061-3E03-43A8-A070-1A23752889F1.jpeg
6100A26F-7378-4697-8702-CDDB5CAC338D.jpeg

OP
OP
dani petrescue
Thanks for all the comments!

I knew this would turn into a ´kickstand why type´ of discussion... :laugh: And no, I don´t tour much on deserts but as some people have said, kickstands make life easy (or I used to think that before one ruined my frame) :sad:

Heltor, I love your bike! And which double kickstand is that one on the picture, please? Although the new LHT 26" I am building is not going to have a kickstand, you will not be surprised to read.

My main question is what to do with my sad looking old bike... Thanks, si_c, I think I am going to find out about replacing chainstays. I do love my bike and she really is worth saving for that kind of money! ^_^

Top Bottom