A new Berlingo...Petrol, diesel or electric?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Hopefully in the not too distant i'll be able to afford a new Berlingo. I had decided on getting a petrol to avoid DPF issues with a diesel but now i read that the new e version has a 170 mile range hmmm perhaps thats an option. Any thoughts?

figbat

Slippery scientist
Firstly, it’s not a given that a diesel will suffer DPF issues - most don’t. It can depend on your typical journey type.

Secondly, a new petrol engine is likely to have an OPF (although that also doesn’t guarantee issues).

Thirdly, what journeys do you make and what access to charging would you have? I have an electric MINI with a stated range of 140 miles and so far it has not caused me any issues. I had a home charger fitted which drastically improves charging times and convenience. Government grants for EV chargers are disappearing in March though so you may want to pull your finger out.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Firstly, it’s not a given that a diesel will suffer DPF issues - most don’t. It can depend on your typical journey type.

Secondly, a new petrol engine is likely to have an OPF (although that also doesn’t guarantee issues).

Thirdly, what journeys do you make and what access to charging would you have? I have an electric MINI with a stated range of 140 miles and so far it has not caused me any issues. I had a home charger fitted which drastically improves charging times and convenience. Government grants for EV chargers are disappearing in March though so you may want to pull your finger out.
Thanks for that figbat :okay: i live in the Highlands and most trips are very short which wouldnt suit a diesel at all, a long trip would be over to the west coast 60 miles away! I will have to see how many charging points are available. i wondered how many people will be using them and do you have to queue for hours.... :rolleyes:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The financial break even point for a diesel is typically 12 - 15 thousand miles a year. If you do less than that a petrol is cheaper to buy / run.

Remember also that 170 miles is the optimum range for the electric one under ideal conditions and unlikely to be replicated in real life. It will be also affected by things the external temperature, if you have the heating / AC on etc so

figbat

Slippery scientist
Good to research the charging network, although so far I have almost exclusively charged mine at home. On the rare occasion I charge away from home it is mostly because the charging is free, rather than because I need it. I’ve always found an available charger if I wanted one.

DRM

Guru
I think it boils down to price, for example the petrol/diesel is £22k, the electric one is £32k for the swb 5 seater, £10k is a lot to account for but only you know what savings, if any, there will be for you, should be no problem charging at home, but I think you need to research charging for longer journeys

Last edited:
You need to work out what you use the car for. Apart from holidays our EV is almost entirely local travel - most days use less than 50% of the range.

If you can charge on the drive and get a cheap tariff then your fuel bills would be slashed.

If I were doing a 120 mile round trip I'd like to know that I could charge somewhere along the way just to be safe.

Drago

Legendary Member
i wondered how many people will be using them and do you have to queue for hours.... :rolleyes:
Its easy. On any really long journey we leave the Polestar at home and just take my diseasel.

Even when it goes smoothly, which isn't actually that often, charging during a journey is a faff - non functioning charging stations, all in use, or the only one not in use blocked by a parked car...and if you do find one you then have to find something to do for anything from 30 minutes to an hour, dead time in which youre not getting an inch closer to your journeys end. We just don't bother at the moment.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Thanks for the replys folks :okay: Much as i'd like to save the planet n'all i reckon it'll have to be petrol. I can imagine going over to the west coast and doing about maybe 70-80 miles then trying to charge up at Ullapool to feel secure on the way back. If a problem arose eg not working/big queue and tried getting home without charging then anxiety would kick in. The whole distance could be around 150- 160 miles which is in the running out of power region [or much less].....cant be r'sed with that kind of hassle. :rolleyes: and imagine getting stuck in jan/feb with minus temps trudging through snow and knocking on doors asking to plug into someones domestic supply :laugh:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I like the EBerlingo however I happen to own a B9 diesel model, my sister has a K9 model. They're both fantastic in their own way.

My B9 has a decent head unit for bluetoothing music + calls, limo tinted rear windows for max privacy and a towbar. It's routinely used as a van with the rear seats completely out and is otherwise frugal and happy motoring.

The K9 while 7years younger than mine looks 7yrs older owing to a busy mum with a toddler and a baby to mess it up, I gave up valeting it in the end. It has more toys and a better dash as standard, electric handbrake and loads of sensors and annoying buzzy things to annoy you and cost money. Isn't overly hard on the adblu though, which is handy refilled

Apparently the auto gearboxes are more akin to a bag of gears though

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
I like the EBerlingo however I happen to own a B9 diesel model, my sister has a K9 model. They're both fantastic in their own way.

My B9 has a decent head unit for bluetoothing music + calls, limo tinted rear windows for max privacy and a towbar. It's routinely used as a van with the rear seats completely out and is otherwise frugal and happy motoring.

The K9 while 7years younger than mine looks 7yrs older owing to a busy mum with a toddler and a baby to mess it up, I gave up valeting it in the end. It has more toys and a better dash as standard, electric handbrake and loads of sensors and annoying buzzy things to annoy you and cost money. Isn't overly hard on the adblu though, which is handy refilled

Apparently the auto gearboxes are more akin to a bag of gears though
Im going to dump the seats as soon as i get mine :laugh: Its a supremely practical vehicle short of getting a medium van. The new xl version is about a foot longer giving enough space to kip in the back if necessary. :okay:

Top Bottom