ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Interesting that we have two villages who have complained about Lycra Louts: Great Budworth and Biggin Hill

I think we should get extra points ...
Visiting Exhall yesterday had a touch of surreality. A tiny village that's found such fame recently amongst an online bunch of lycra warriors, concocting plans to terrorise their quiet backwater in the coming months. I'm sure they're blissfully unaware. Would they welcome us if they knew, or cower in fear?

I was idly hoping I might bump into someone for a chance conversation. Maybe there's a cycling nut in the village who'd welcome us all for a cup of tea. For a moment it looked as though it could happen as there was a gentleman walking past the sign as I rode up. He grunted something about being startled and disappeared on the left. Possibly just as well as I was worried someone might complain about me trampling on the newly-manicured grass around the sign, but there was no other way of getting the bike in the shot. I don't think I left any lasting damage.

The sign at the western end is newer, scruffier affair, and looks as though it will soon be enveloped in stinging nettles:

Exhallwest.JPG

Much kudos to anyone who takes on the hill out of the village to the east.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Visiting Exhall yesterday had a touch of surreality.
I have Exceat (Sussex) or Exted (Kent) in my plans. Not sure if either has a sign. But that's a long way off. I'm currently considering routes to Jaywick (Essex) or Jevington (Sussex)

There's also Jury's Gap (Kent) but I've cycled through there a few times and have a distinct memory of there being absolutely nothing there.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've not read all the thread ...

I'm sure you've already discussed this to death, but do we have any rules and regulations for this or is it very much "do it as you see fit". And if we do, are they being enforced and argued about? Or are we one big happy fambly?

Out of concern about falling foul of the rules I did mine on Sunday in strict order. This involved riding from Cudham to Downe, then doubling back to Cudham. This involved going down and back up a 20+% hill and up and back down another nasty hill. It would have been so much easier to do Downe before Cudham. Or is it OK to go out of order within a ride?

The OP says boundary signs only, but I've unilaterally decided that ornamental village signs are better, and a number of people are using all sorts of stuff so I guess it's pretty laissez-faire.

Not that it really matters as I've already decided what my own personal rules for this challenge are.

I'm sure you've already discussed this to death, but do we have any rules and regulations for this or is it very much "do it as you see fit". And if we do, are they being enforced and argued about? Or are we one big happy fambly?

Out of concern about falling foul of the rules I did mine on Sunday in strict order. This involved riding from Cudham to Downe, then doubling back to Cudham. This involved going down and back up a 20+% hill and up and back down another nasty hill. It would have been so much easier to do Downe before Cudham. Or is it OK to go out of order within a ride?

The OP says boundary signs only, but I've unilaterally decided that ornamental village signs are better, and a number of people are using all sorts of stuff so I guess it's pretty laissez-faire.

Not that it really matters as I've already decided what my own personal rules for this challenge are.

:gun:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!

Within reason, that's what I'm doing.
User9609 specifically said there are no hard and fast rules and that the challenges aim was to get folk out cycling. It was agreed that afaik border signs are required but that as not every town, village etc has these, alternatives including railway stations, schools, farms and some degree of imagination are ok. I'm thinking they have to be in alphabetical order though or it wouldn't be the ABC thread, but the ACB or something thread.
If the rules were too strict I think the whole thing would lose some of its appeal.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
@Dogtrousers I certainly recommend flicking through the whole thread, if only to view a lot of interesting pictures folks were proud to post. There also might be a few interesting comments along the way. Not mine of course...

I don't think @User9609 envisaged serious competition along the lines of the monthly challenges, with strictly applied rules. But in some ways A-Z lends itself to that and at times it's teetered on a tightrope, causing a little tension. :whistle:

For my part I've wanted to keep it completely pure, with boundary signs only and no byes, and if I can't find a bona fide boundary sign I look somewhere else. There've been some major disappointments! I've also avoided U-turns, though I have used a couple of "lollipops". That's my decision, but I think the sequencing within a ride is regarded as non-negotiable. Remove that and it's a completely different game - it's amazing how the commonest letters often refuse to appear in the areas you want them. And I seem to recall that Ds are less common than you might think.

Seeking out signs on Street View is all part of the fun. After a while you get a feel for where they might be, and nothing beats finally spotting one at the fifth attempt. :scratch:

Katherine

Guru
Got a few in today...

View attachment 458575

View attachment 458576

View attachment 458577

View attachment 458580
I wasn't too keen on getting that last one tbh. I can almost see the the Mail headline now...
The closest j besides that is in frickin yorkshishire millions of miles away.

I have a few of those ear marked on my list!
You will think I'm copying you when I finally get back to Dunham and can carry on with the challenge. :bicycle:^_^

Bet I know where you are going for K!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Strictly in order; EX for X; if no boundary sign then another sign showing the place are the rules I am working to, (though I've only had to do this once)

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Bet I know where you are going for K!

I thought about aiming for Knutsford at first but my little wussy legs aren't up to that sort of mileage yet. Can't say I'm looking forward to Kearsley. It's not exactly surrounded by quaint little leafy lanes xx(

However, I passed by not 1, but 2 Culcheth signs today!
I also see you were thinking about Daisy Hill? There's a rail station there :smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

My personal rule was that they could be out of sequence within a single ride but that you must capture a consecutive set of letters in that ride. No banking letters in advance. So for instance if I rode past an R I would have to wait till I did a ride with Q. Not taking a photo in advance and using it later. All my signs are boundary signs.

I just have Z left and have done all my rides from the house. Z is is too far away for that unless I do a two day ride with a tent etc. So I may get the train for that or indeed a ride from home camping on way back may be an option. There is a Z farm within a day ride but I am ignoring that as I want a full set of village signs.

Top Bottom