ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
86 mile round trip and if I ever go there again it will be too soon ... Mega thanks to @Soltydog for navigating and the ride :smile:
Downloaded the image to Messenger_Lite.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
86 mile round trip and if I ever go there again it will be too soon ... Mega thanks to @Soltydog for navigating and the ride :smile:
View attachment 458089
Great commitment though, well done.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As lots of villages have ornamental signs I decided to look for these. Unfortunately if you photograph them with a bike they come out quite small and not legible. They are:

Addington Village - Not New Addington, goodness me no!
Biggin Hill, also famous for having a sign saying "Lycra Louts Not Welcome Here"
Cudham - this used to have an ornamental sign, but it was removed for renovation in 2017,
Downe - Home of Charles Darwin
Edenbridge
Fordcombe
Groombridge
Hartfield
Ide Hill - Doesn't have a fancy sign

upload_2019-3-18_21-34-49.png

Next up J
This could be a problem, there aren't many Js in my area.

Last edited:

rugby bloke

Veteran
As lots of villages have ornamental signs I decided to look for these. Unfortunately if you photograph them with a bike they come out quite small and not legible. They are:

Addington Village - Not New Addington, goodness me no!
Biggin Hill, also famous for having a sign saying "Lycra Louts Not Welcome Here"
Cudham - this used to have an ornamental sign, but it was removed for renovation in 2017,
Downe - Home of Charles Darwin
Edenbridge
Fordcombe
Groombridge
Hartfield
Ide Hill - Doesn't have a fancy sign

View attachment 458138

Next up J
This could be a problem, there aren't many Js in my area.
Nice idea. I do like an ornamental sign. Good to see you escaped the warm welcome offered in Biggin Hill ....

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Jeddart's Here!

......was the ancient battle cry of the men of Jedburgh.

IMG_20190319_150850[1].jpg

In the modern vernacular 'Royal Burgh' means an insignificant place with a large chip on its shoulder.
There have been no royal burghs in Scotland since local government reform in 1975. Jedburgh was also at one time the county town of Roxburgh and still has a courthouse which occasionally hosts the high court, but it was long since passed in importance and population by Hawick and latterly by Kelso and Melrose. Jedburgh's current claim to fame is being the location of Europe's largest coat hanger factory. Its days are probably numbered due to the rise of internet shopping and also Br*xit.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
View attachment 458145 View attachment 458146 View attachment 458147 Having got off the mark last week I managed to add B, C & D today. A 48 mile round trip, mostly in the rain. Not many E’s around here so my next post may be some time away.

Surely that is a G?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
With a Q on one side of the Severn estuary and a V on the other, there was clearly potential for a productive day. The U was hard to find, but it was there - far too time spent searching on Street View, not that anyone's complaining. :wacko:

An early start:

Quedgeley.JPG

The next few line up quite well, with an S-bend to put them in the right order:

Rockhampton.JPG

Stone.JPG

Economy of effort here (see what I did?):

Thornbury.JPG

UpperMorton.JPG

Over the big bridge and up a big hill to secure the elusive V:

VineyHill.JPG

And rolling back towards Gloucester there's a convenient W:

Westbury.JPG

Then up to Warwickshire for something truly X-rated:

Exhall.JPG

On the way back the sun finally came out!

TeeShot

Veteran
'fraid so - another excuse for a ride

No problem. I only did it for a bit of mischief really:smile:. Some of you may remember several years ago, the residents of Great Budworth kicked up a stink about "Lycra Louts" speeding through their village. A national paper got wind of this and did a piece on it. Speeding cyclist, shouting, swearing, littering and urinating in public was the drift of the article. Now our club ride through the village several times a year. It's approached by riding up a fairly steep hill, by the time we get to the centre of the village most of us can hardly speak, let alone shout and most of us would be overtaken by someone walking briskly:eek:. Maybe I'll use it for my G, we'll see, so many choices

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No problem. I only did it for a bit of mischief really:smile:. Some of you may remember several years ago, the residents of Great Budworth kicked up a stink about "Lycra Louts" speeding through their village. A national paper got wind of this and did a piece on it. Speeding cyclist, shouting, swearing, littering and urinating in public was the drift of the article. Now our club ride through the village several times a year. It's approached by riding up a fairly steep hill, by the time we get to the centre of the village most of us can hardly speak, let alone shout and most of us would be overtaken by someone walking briskly:eek:. Maybe I'll use it for my G, we'll see, so many choices
Interesting that we have two villages who have complained about Lycra Louts: Great Budworth and Biggin Hill

I think we should get extra points ...

Top Bottom