ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Only just come across this challenge, so I'm a bit of a late starter.
The wind had died down a little, so I went out and bagged my A, B and C. Had time not been getting on I could also have got D-for-Datchworth.
J-for-Jaywick Sands is my nearest one, and that's about 50-odd miles away, so I might have to get a bit creative with that...

Just give me a second while I upload some photos (again!)

View attachment 459178 View attachment 459180 View attachment 459179

Finally!

In case you haven't noticed , look at the letters I posted for a clue as to your nearest ones.

iandg

Legendary Member
Newmarket sign removed on the approach from Stornoway but still there on the Barvas side

IMG_20190325_111120823.jpg

IMG_20190325_183705_945.jpg

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
No I or J in Lewis and Harris (Iochdar in South Uist but would need a ferry).

Orinsay in South Lochs is the only O that I know of (but there's no sign on google street view).

Nowhere beginning with Q that I can recall and don't think there's an X, Y or Z

edit: My I, J, K and L were from Dumfriesshire.

Remembered there's a Quidinish in South Harris on the Golden Road.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Quick spin up to D-for-Datchworth this morning. I left Stevenage via the Hertford Road and then skirted Knebworth on the climb up to Datchworth.
The Old Post Office has changed from a tea room to a coffee shop, so I'll have to try that next time I'm passing.
Back down the hill to Bragbury End, then back home.
Next it's E-for-somewhere - Edworth, Eyworth, Epping or Earith. That'll probably be Sundays ride.
datchworth.jpg

Last edited:
Only just come across this challenge, so I'm a bit of a late starter.
The wind had died down a little, so I went out and bagged my A, B and C. Had time not been getting on I could also have got D-for-Datchworth.
J-for-Jaywick Sands is my nearest one, and that's about 50-odd miles away, so I might have to get a bit creative with that...

Just give me a second while I upload some photos (again!)

View attachment 459178 View attachment 459180 View attachment 459179

Finally!

Jack's Hatch near Harlow will be my J when I eventually get back into the challenge(hopefully this weekend).

TeeShot

Veteran
F62E998E-D4C5-4E23-967D-12626236BC31.jpeg
95CCBB8E-DE1C-4A94-8696-332490FDD809.jpeg
CEC948B8-0FE2-4566-B9DF-1E924F70048C.jpeg
E3050B0C-25E3-4763-ADE7-3292E616F72E.jpeg
C65CCA60-92AC-4BAB-B92A-94D2C9FF598F.jpeg
A688C0E4-7FD8-4018-8F50-5728FC6BA442.jpeg
77412D0E-8E56-4BE5-ACD4-D787F6A2668C.jpeg

A glorious day in Cheshire for a bit of ABC bagging. My mate Dave and I started from the outskirts of Knutsford and did a loop of 37 miles to bag 7 letters. As the crow flies the distance between the two that were farthest apart was only 8 miles, and that’s only because I told Dave we had to go up Artists Lane to get 3 of the letters. We need the practice!!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A late change of plan today sent me well off my usual patch. I was always heading for a Y, but not this one. The pussy cat clearly wonders what on earth I'm doing.:

Yardley.JPG

I have a nice-looking 300km Audax route taking me to Zeals, but I don't think I'll be doing that before May - if at all.

rugby bloke

Veteran
View attachment 459678 View attachment 459676 View attachment 459677 View attachment 459682 View attachment 459679 View attachment 459680 View attachment 459681
A glorious day in Cheshire for a bit of ABC bagging. My mate Dave and I started from the outskirts of Knutsford and did a loop of 37 miles to bag 7 letters. As the crow flies the distance between the two that were farthest apart was only 8 miles, and that’s only because I told Dave we had to go up Artists Lane to get 3 of the letters. We need the practice!!
That's a really interesting collection of village names, nice one.

rugby bloke

Veteran
A late change of plan today sent me well off my usual patch. I was always heading for a Y, but not this one. The pussy cat clearly wonders what on earth I'm doing.:

View attachment 459713

I have a nice-looking 300km Audax route taking me to Zeals, but I don't think I'll be doing that before May - if at all.
That's going to be my Y as well, although it will be a considerably shorter ride !

Aravis

Putrid Donut
That sounds highly possible! Blue shirt, yellow cap. From Quinton I crossed the Newport Pagnell road after Preston Deanery at about 3.45pm, and approached Yardley via Castle Ashby. Very pretty, and I'd never been there before, even though I've been visiting my parents in law in Horton for almost 30 years.

TeeShot

Veteran
That's a really interesting collection of village names, nice one.
Thank you.
Prestbury is probably the only village in the sense of shops, houses, pubs restaurants etc...
The others are more just rural areas with a few houses scattered here and there. I’ve no idea why there’s a sign for Kermincham, there’s nothing there but fields, maybe a farm or two.
Now Q is going to slow my progress down a bit. OS maps and street view here I come!!

Top Bottom